This is my first Mame HD Set UP!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 41 Old 09-05-2008, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Built this in a month... From Idea to creation, it's not much, but a good start.

Computer is a 6 Terabyte, Duel Core 3.4 System, with the 4870 Readon HD card. 4 Gig ram.

The Control Panel was built buy www.Mameroom.com... Having ALOT of fun program special animation for the LEDS.. hehe

Screen is the 50 inch Plasma 3D. Looks great when playing crysis, bioshock and call of duty 4.

Also the 3D stuff comes from www.ddd.com They don't comunicate well, but it works, soo...

Over 37,000 games on it so far =)

Heres a link to the Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-JEQHS23L4

Tell me what ya think =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 09-05-2008, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Holy smokes, that thing is crazy! What front end does it run? it was quite impressive to see you pick an emulator and game from that menu system. Hey if you need friends, I'm available

Very impressive, kudos!

-Trouble
post #3 of 41 Old 09-06-2008, 06:57 AM

I almost had an accident in my pants watching that..

That is seriously my dream setup, but I'm trying to do something similar on a budget of less than $500 lol. I already have a TV and a PC that can run mame games...but so far I'm stuck with the ugly basic mame interface. I would love to be able to get something with all the consoels listed like you have.. How hard is it to set up the frontend like that? Do you think it can be done without a professional installation?
post #4 of 41 Old 09-06-2008, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

I use the Hyperspin-fe front end... it's free, looks sweet, and growing daily
post #5 of 41 Old 09-06-2008, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Awesome. My own MAME cab is much more traditional (whcih is good since I never freakin use it anymore, sadly) but building my own 4 player control box was an exercise in...well...lets just say I'll never go into woodworking as a hobby.

But man did you drop some serious coin on that emulator.

But HERES THE BIG QUESTION:

Does the monitor rotate to play vertical games at their maximum possible screen size?

WELL!?

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #6 of 41 Old 09-06-2008, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by EQRoxxx View Post

I use the Hyperspin-fe front end... it's free, looks sweet, and growing daily

Sweet, I totally just installed this front end.
post #7 of 41 Old 09-06-2008, 11:12 AM

Very cool setup for Mame.

But what is with the 6 monitor - Swordfish - Hollywoods idea of a hacker setup?
post #8 of 41 Old 09-06-2008, 12:05 PM

huh...I always wanted a MAME cabinet but I think I just scrapped that idea...

the front-end is awesome, and I am sure I would have liked the control panel but the video was a bit too blurry.

I'd like to hear more opinion on the 3D gaming as this seems to be the newest thing and I really don't know if it is yet worth investing in.

And for the most intrusive question -- how much for the control panel? I see the sell similar panels (assembly required) for $149.99...What is the control panel mounted on?
post #9 of 41 Old 09-06-2008, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

How do you get the frontend if it is only available to people in the 'closed beta'?

-Trouble
post #10 of 41 Old 09-07-2008, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Wow, nice setup and crazy room. I would seriously trip balls in there though if I was under the influence.

D.I.N.K

Double
Income
No
Kids
post #11 of 41 Old 09-07-2008, 07:56 AM

Hi,
Very nice setup indeed. Can you tell us more about that 3D ready plasma display plz? Which model is that and what software (or hardware) did you use to convert 2D signals to 3D signals? And would this solution work with HDMI ports?

On a second thought, how does these 3D display drivers actually work with games like Crysis & COD4?

Thanks.
post #12 of 41 Old 09-07-2008, 08:14 AM

Wow, congrats on the system.
post #13 of 41 Old 09-07-2008, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

I got the Samsung plasma 50 inch 3D ready. Went with the Plasma becasue of refresh rates while gaming. The 3D glasses are from www.ddd.com Its works out great with Crysis, I can't get it to load for WoW or Bioshock atm, waiting for a responce back from these guys... They seem to be on a perma vacation when it comes to Support =/

But over all it takes any 2D movie and converts it on the fly to 3D. Note that there is some tearing when it does this, maybe due to my OC, or what not, but like I said i can't seem to get hold of these guys to save my ass.

I had to figure out most of it on my own, and I still think it's worth the 149.00 for the software and the glasses. You MUST have a 3D ready TV. There is an IR that plugs up in the back that kinda looks like a S-Video cable. I was in the market for a new monitor for the cab, and figured might as well go with the 3D one... glad i did.

Yes the 50 inch can rotate. It's a pain in the arse to do it, but I spent 450 bucks on the mounting system...

The control board is all LED'd with LEDWIZ. Each button and stick can change to any color I wish. LEDBlinky has a program out that you can set it up to do differnt wave or animation type things.. actually lots of fun, and time consumming...

The control board was built buy mameroom.com Scott there is the owner, and this man bent over backwards making sure everything was up to MY SPEC's and even helped me trouble shoot some stuff.. mind you this was my first build, so i didn't know squat.. but he was very helpful and even allowed me to call him at 10 11 PM my time, 1, 2 AM his time.. Now that's customer service.

This set up is not for the faint of heart.... 1,700 for the CPU with 6 Terabytes HD Raided.

50 inch Plasma with mounting system, 1,700

Control board with the LEDWiz 2,100...

Being able to play and watch every movie and game in the world in 3D... Priceless
post #14 of 41 Old 09-07-2008, 05:51 PM

Hey EQRoxxx,
Very interesting indeed. You actually made me post today for the first time in a year. Can I get the model number for the 50" plasma because I am in market for a new display? I have also been reading on their (www.ddd.com) website. I have many of questions about your setup so I hope you can find some time to answer these.

I know that you have ATI 4870HD display card buy I've heard that nVidia had some kind of 3D drivers for their cards in past, did you look into nVidia drivers for the support? Does this company prefer ATI's or nVidia's cards for their software?

I have also read on their website about an IR emitter which plugs in the display. Can you give me more details about how does this IR emitter work. Does one have to buy it from ddd.com as well?

What DVD decoder are you using (i.e WinDVD, Cyberlink etc)? Do you think using a different MPEG2 decoder may help with the tearing in movies?

On a subjective level, how does watching an upscaled 3D DVD on 50" plasma compares to watching 3D movies in theaters?

Thank you for your time.
post #15 of 41 Old 09-07-2008, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter View Post

How do you get the frontend if it is only available to people in the 'closed beta'?

-Trouble

Probably the same way I did. I was up till 6 am messing around with it. Pretty awsome really. That doesn't mean I got it working, I started super late etc etc but it is damn interesting. Oh hey maybe we're so awsome we were both just picked for the closed beta.

i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/GTX 680 840 PRO SSD

Paradigm Studio 100/570/20's/2200 Sub

Onkyo 809 42" LCD/Panny AE4000

post #16 of 41 Old 09-08-2008, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

I got the PN50A450 Samsung. Seems like they like the Nvidia cards more, but I got the best card out there ( at the moment ) Just glad that ATI is putting up a fight as it helps all of us with a better product, and price.

www.ddd.com has there own DVD player for the movies. here's the thing tho...

Games that they sell the drivers for, come out AMAZING in 3D. So far the movies, and so far the ones I have bought arnt as great. I have yet to find a movie that uses this technolgy. I bought Spykids, Aleine Adventure, ect ect. They come in 3D... But with the old red and blue glasses. The upside is that it can take any 2D movie and convert it.

I think maybe I am missing something here.. Will have to play with it alittle more once I can the time.

As far as the Hyperspin-fe front end for the mame, I got in touch with the creators of the program and had them come out to vegas for a couple of says to check out the system, and get me dialed in. I have the newest version of Hyperspin, it should be out this week sometime.

These guys are very talented in with thier programing skills, and I can only seeing this thing getting better and better.

As far as getting the newest version, I think you need to sign up to the boards, and that will give ya access to the Download.

I do not work for these guys, but I will give ya a seceret. It helps to get noticed when ya donate to get picked for the closed beta's, OR if you are good with programing to make a few themes yourself and post them up.

Normally I don't pay for a program unless I used it, and know Ill be using it. Once i saw this Front end, I knew that I had to have it, and it was worth giving a few bucks to help watch it grow.

Also comparing the 3D effects from my at home 3D system, compared to the movies... The Movies are 75% better. But mind you, i don't think I have all the little bugs ironed out yet. That and I don't think I have viewed a true 3D movie made for this software YET. Tring to get hold of the guys at ddd. Sent them a Email last week, and they have yet to reply.. Will try calling again this morning when i get to work.

Also for the money you are spending ( 150.00 ) and being able to turn your photo's, any 2D movie into a Semi 3D inviroment, 3D gaming, very well worth the cost.

EQRoxxx
post #17 of 41 Old 09-08-2008, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
to u sir I tip my hat. Mame arcade cabinets r so sweet...I finally picked up x-arcade dualstick and topgun 2 lightguns..now I just need to build a cabinet. Question I have is how comfortable are the 3d glasses? would u be able to extended gaming session like an hour or so without them bothering you? Plus do u need the compatible hdtv for them to work or will my regualar plasma work wit the glasses?

PSN:The_Wise_Guy
XBL:DirtySanWiseGuy
Steam:The_Wise_Guy
BF4 PC:The_Wise_Guy

post #18 of 41 Old 09-10-2008, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
well, I first tried MAME like 10 years ago, and I was very underwhelmed by the experience... (well, I don't know if it was really 10 years ago, but it was a really long time ago...)

but now I see this, and it looks cool... so I try again, go find some ROM's (I am guessing they are legit, as I did not need to look in the 'dark' places for them) d/load the latest mameUI, and hey, it is cool now... keyboard sucks as a controller, but still...
so now the questions:
what options are there for good (4 people? maybe?) controllers? (that don't cost $1700)
what is the min hardware? will a 2.8 HT P4 work adequately? (just for mame, no 3d,etc), any have analog sticks?
how do the controllers hook up? usb? ps/2? serial?
why is it, only 70% of the roms I tried actually worked?
can mame do turbo grafx-16 and 3do games?

NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
post #19 of 41 Old 09-10-2008, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somewhatlost View Post

but now I see this, and it looks cool... so I try again, go find some ROM's (I am guessing they are legit, as I did not need to look in the 'dark' places for them) d/load the latest mameUI, and hey, it is cool now... keyboard sucks as a controller, but still...

Most roms would still be considered "A grey area" at best but lets not go down that path here....

Quote:

what options are there for good (4 people? maybe?) controllers? (that don't cost $1700)

The cheapest way is to just get a Microsoft wireless gamepad adapter and buy 4 Xbox 360 wireless controllers...or buy 4 wired 360 controllers and plug them into a USB hub.

If you want "real arcade controls" you're talking at least a few hundred for a simple 4 player..and then what are we talking about...trackballs for everyone, or just a simple joystick and, say, 6 buttons....or spinner joysticks or...

Quote:

what is the min hardware? will a 2.8 HT P4 work adequately? (just for mame, no 3d,etc), any have analog sticks?

Depends completely and totally on the game. A 2.8 P4 will work pretty well for anything up to the more recent CHD (hard drive based) games. So your Neo Geo roms and all your classics up through say the late 90's should do fine, with some exceptions here and there.

Quote:

how do the controllers hook up? usb? ps/2? serial?

Totally depends on what controls you want to use. I bought an iPAC interface board and wired up my own arcade controls to an MDF console I bought myself. Some crimping and soldering and I was there, it connects via USB. Other pre-built ones use USB, some use a serial port.....a joystick port...etc, although non-usb interfaces are INCREASINGLY rare...

Quote:

why is it, only 70% of the roms I tried actually worked?
can mame do turbo grafx-16 and 3do games?

No, MAME is an Arcade emulator....they make emulators for TurboGrafx and all consoles....but I dont think they do a 3DO emulator, or if they do I've never tried it.

And ROMS...you must be made aware that each mame release often times causes you to completely re-load your ROM sets. MAME got to be a huge pain when minor release of MAME would break like half the ROMS out there.

Most people these days just pick a major release, get the roms...and forget about mame for awhile. Lately MAME's releases have really been adding games that wont play at all on modern computers, or on making older games perform "worse" but more accurately to the hardware...eg: the original arcade hardware that is being emulated.

The arguement from the MAME developers is that MAME isn't about makign games playable on your computer, its about accurately emulating the games bit for bit..and sometimes the emulation is just slow as hell, even on modern processors.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #20 of 41 Old 09-10-2008, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
AFAIK there is nothing "gray" about MAME ROMs... they are as illegal as downloading a SNES ROM. The only gray area would be if you own the actual arcade board. Not that that has ever really stopped anyone, including me.
post #21 of 41 Old 09-10-2008, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

The cheapest way is to just get a Microsoft wireless gamepad adapter and buy 4 Xbox 360 wireless controllers...or buy 4 wired 360 controllers and plug them into a USB hub.

I guess that would work, seems kind of crappy though... maybe a good starting point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

If you want "real arcade controls" you're talking at least a few hundred for a simple 4 player..and then what are we talking about...trackballs for everyone, or just a simple joystick and, say, 6 buttons....or spinner joysticks or...

Totally depends on what controls you want to use. I bought an iPAC interface board and wired up my own arcade controls to an MDF console I bought myself. Some crimping and soldering and I was there, it connects via USB. Other pre-built ones use USB, some use a serial port.....a joystick port...etc, although non-usb interfaces are INCREASINGLY rare...

I hadn't considered trackballs... hmmm... so many options... that ipac looks cool, just doing some quick checking, and it looks like you can just hack a keyboard too... I will need to look into this some more...

NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
post #22 of 41 Old 09-10-2008, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I got myself x-arcade dualstick.. after droolin over them for the past 3-4 yrs i decided to plunk down the cash. My friend told me its the best thing I have ever bought.. I agree. It gives that nice authentic arcade feel that a joypad could never reproduce.

PSN:The_Wise_Guy
XBL:DirtySanWiseGuy
Steam:The_Wise_Guy
BF4 PC:The_Wise_Guy

post #23 of 41 Old 09-10-2008, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

yea, I think I just skipped the xbox controllers and went with: the x-arcade "arcade kit" (its just the PC interface for the buttons/etc) doesn't look as cool as the iPAC, very basic... but I think I can always add the iPAC later if needed...
$160 for a starter set isn't too bad... and I can always just build my 'controller box' so that it is a 'drop in' if I decide to do a real stand up arcade thing...

post #24 of 41 Old 09-13-2008, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

There is a 3DO emulator. Daphen, Playstation 1, NES, SNES, N64... Basically anything from a Playstation 1 and below.

That beign said, I ahve been a game collector since I was 7 and had my first Pong. I use to trade, and I would never trade anything I only had one copy of.

I have a personal collection of over 20,000 games. Tho to be honest most of it is back at my fathers house stuck in a attic. That and 2 years ago, we where broken into and I had 2 PS3's stolen, Countless games.. Oddly enough these guys didn't steal any of the PS3 Games... Guess they looked too much like DVD's for the morons that broke in... LOL

I also have 5 Real arcades in my house atm.. wifes upset so ill have to let a few go... hehe Tho i refuse to let Silent Scope and house of the dead 2 go.. can't really emulate that.
post #25 of 41 Old 09-16-2008, 09:06 PM

Hi,
i have another question about the 3D aspects of the Samsung plasma.

Some people have reorted ghosting while viewing 3D on Samsung plasma. Did you notice any ghosting while paly a game or a DVD in 3D on your plasma?
Thanks.
post #26 of 41 Old 09-17-2008, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

there is ghosting when playing cryis. I don't think that the 3D effect is a good place for first person shooters... It looks SWEET, but to get the dead on accuracy is a pain, and thats what ya need for a shooter game.

WOW on the other hand is fine.

I just watched all 3 matrix in 3D. It looks freaking amasing. but still i feel that DDD is a craptastic company. No support at all. Still waiting for them to return phone calls and emails.

seems that the DDD software that i bought off them is not compatable with opening up bioshock or WOW. so I get some sort of error saying I am tring to use illegal 2nd hand programs tring to play these games.

Plus there is no forums to discuss these things, and I still can't log onto thier site... say's I am not a member even tho I signed up 2 months ago.

So get them, I say... but realize your not going to be getting any support.
post #27 of 41 Old 09-17-2008, 10:06 PM

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. I don't know much about ddd but I have read that you have to buy individual tridef drivers for each game that you want to display in 3D for $5 a pop. And here are couple of hints that may help you with the tridef game drivers.

1. Checkout following thread. A user with the name 'pixel67' seems to be resident expert on Tridef game drivers over there.

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopi...638&highlight=

2. I have heard that a company name IZ3D has recently released 3D beta drivers supporting few games on Samsung 3D ready displays. This is something that you may want to keep your eye on, as an alternative to Tridef drivers.

http://www.iz3d.com/t-dcdriver.aspx

And if you find some time, please keep us posted about your findings.
post #28 of 41 Old 09-18-2008, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

how does one make the mouse work in mame???
I have a track ball, it works just fine as my windows mouse...
in mame I have mouse set for my x & y axis...
but it no workie????

post #29 of 41 Old 09-19-2008, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

you have to open the mame.ini file and allow Mouse there...
post #30 of 41 Old 09-20-2008, 12:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I cant get front end to lauch a title when I scroll through Mame games, I thought it was space or enter. Maybe cause im using mame32

i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/GTX 680 840 PRO SSD

Paradigm Studio 100/570/20's/2200 Sub

Onkyo 809 42" LCD/Panny AE4000

Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page