Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 133 Old 06-07-2009, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have tried MULTIPLE USB devices.

Brand new build, Asus Gene II motherboard. (Looked not brand new when I opened the box).

Installed it, and instead of posting, it says "Press DEL to run Steup, Press TAB to display BIOS POST Message".

The USB keyboard I have had plugged in flashes the cap lock key light quickly, but wont light up again. I unfortunately do not have a PS2 keyboard to test.

Is there any possibility that the BIOS comes with USB ports turned off? That would seem crazy to me.

When an episode of Walker Texas Ranger was aired in France, the French surrendered to Chuck Norris just to be on the safe side.

XBL:MileHighMurder
PSN:SayH1ToYourMom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 133 Old 06-07-2009, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
Quote:
Originally Posted by policy View Post

I have tried MULTIPLE USB devices.

Brand new build, Asus Gene II motherboard. (Looked not brand new when I opened the box).

Installed it, and instead of posting, it says "Press DEL to run Steup, Press TAB to display BIOS POST Message".

The USB keyboard I have had plugged in flashes the cap lock key light quickly, but wont light up again. I unfortunately do not have a PS2 keyboard to test.

Is there any possibility that the BIOS comes with USB ports turned off? That would seem crazy to me.

Since you mentioned it look used then anything could have been done to the mobo before you got. I would do a RMA to the seller stating that the mobo didn't appear as new and that it does not work. Get a replacement

As noted, if your just updating the OS on an existing drive with the new hardware added then the usb ports sometimes will not work. The OS has to assign the port to the device during its device discovery stage. But a fresh new OS install that shld not happen. Thats why I keep some old PS2 KB/M around, for updating.

ADD: if you can not even use the KB with the BIOS screen then the mobo is bad. Then there is nothing you can do, get a replacement.

ADD2: Thats on the assumption that you have check and recheck that all the hardware was installed correctly. Just a precaution and not feeling a fool when something was not installed right and realizing it after you returned the item...I almost done that a few times before but caught my error before I'd sent the item back.

ADD3: on the subject of mobo looking use, Many mobo manufacturers are no longer sending packaging like they use to. Gone are the white cardboard separations and replaced by brown recycled paper card stock. Also many do not come in plastic wrap. Just the box and some don't even come with a box seal even. So it pretty hard these days to tell if a mobo is used or not unless there is hard evidence like open accessory packs etc.

You do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.
post #93 of 133 Old 06-07-2009, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Tinker -

If the MOBO is posting, not sure what I could have hooked up that would make the USB not work.

When an episode of Walker Texas Ranger was aired in France, the French surrendered to Chuck Norris just to be on the safe side.

post #94 of 133 Old 06-07-2009, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
are getting into the BIOS. Does the KB work with BIOS. That shld be ur 1st check. By posting are you saying its actually gettung into windows or what?

BTW I given you most of what I think could be wrong of the top of my head, without the actual item to test, its hard to determine exactly what might be wrong. But the best advice is just do a RMA stating that the USB does not work and saying nothing else.

EDIT: took out comments that might have been interpreted as to be condescending.

post #95 of 133 Old 06-07-2009, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post

I am still running XP so 6gb is more then I can actually use. I think I seen a review that for almost all common apps there was no benefit going more then 6gb at this pt. I didn't test with all the ram slots full tho. Never even occurred to me to even try. Even when I was playing around with Win7 64. Also with the fan setup with the TRUE, one of the ram slots would be a real tight fit for the RAM, if it can fit at all. Forget it if the RAM module have a semi tall heat spreader.

Question is why???

Well mostly because I can lol The ram will fit, I was just cruzin in the evga forums and it seem to be fine so I ordered it. I mean hell, I didn't even need the new i7 or anything so why stop there, might as well make it stupid hahaha

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #96 of 133 Old 06-08-2009, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

Well mostly because I can lol The ram will fit, I was just cruzin in the evga forums and it seem to be fine so I ordered it. I mean hell, I didn't even need the new i7 or anything so why stop there, might as well make it stupid hahaha

I guess it will depend on the size of the fan used on the TRUE. I use those 38mm thick Delta/panaflo/scythe 120mm fans that are rated from 2400 to 3000 rpms that pushes tons of air (100cfm+) The 1st ram slot would be a tight fit for most RAM modules. Esp ones with tall heat speaders like the Patriot Vipers series I use or even some of OCZ and Corsair stuff. But if the mem you are getting fits then great. But hey still wondering why ??? regardles "because I can" answer . Really, what are the benefits if they work and what are you going to do with the mem if it does not work when all the slots are used on the mobo. Are you setting up a 2nd system with your old stuff, or keep it as backup then it "might (?)" make sense to have the spare mem around. But my exp tells me that keeping mem around as spare tends to be a loosing proposition since over time mem prices seems to always drop. That is the case in most situation unless they discontinue that mem type. I been known to be not to bright when it comes to spending money on computer gear also, like my 2nd 295 or the 3rd 280 and the 3rd 8800GTX back when. So its like the kettle calling the pot black situation . But hey...its your money and if you enjoy it, then thats all that counts in the end...

post #97 of 133 Old 06-09-2009, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well I got the eVGA X58 back from RMA and replaced my e8400@4.28 test bench. Getting some ridiculous bench numbers with the i7-920 C0/C1 @ 3.8 with vcore 1.38v. Temps on the hottest core was 68c in the open test bench running OCCT for 15min's. My old bench with the e8400 was CPU bound for the quad 295 setup. OS is Win7 RC1.

Some initial testing:

Vantage score was north of 35600+ (now down to 31000+ ????? after I loaded other progms like MacAfee and monitroing SW that are running in the background)

For some reason 3Dmark06 is failing, only ran one completed run and the score was 26000+(about the same as what I get with my gaming system with SLI 280's). Seems CPU bound with this bench (?). Not really showing the benefits of quad SLI.

But other then bench, in games no real major diff since anything over 60fps is really a waste. But I did get some Warhead bench numbers with enthusiast settings at 1920x1200 since thats the native rez of the test bench monitor. I got like average of ~50-55fps and never dropped below 35fps and max 80+fps.

Still can not get the sound card to work for 5.1 DD live (X-fi Prelude) .

ADD: BIOS (e758SZ2E) that came on the mobo do not seem to work well. You can not disable the turbo mode in the BIOS. Reverted back to earlier version (e758SZ21) and now I can disable turbo. It was the BIOS Version I was using last before the RMA. Another round of testing .

post #98 of 133 Old 06-09-2009, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a friend who will buy the ram off me if I have any problems. my fans on the true are thermalright 2000rpm, 85cfm 120's. I can see there will be enough room.
The deal i got was too good to pass up, I mean at less than half price? you gotta jump on that sh$&! lol
Now I'm just waiting for my Auzentech forte soundcard to get here! I will not be using dd live, just so you know lol

post #99 of 133 Old 06-09-2009, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a friend who will buy the ram off me if I have any problems. my fans on the true are thermalright 2000rpm, 85cfm 120's. I can see there will be enough room.
The deal i got was too good to pass up, I mean at less than half price? you gotta jump on that sh$&! lol
Now I'm just waiting for my Auzentech forte soundcard to get here! I will not be using dd live, just so you know lol

I have the X-fi forte in my gaming system (no PCI slots on mobo just PCIe ), Win7 didn 't like it either just FYI.... SW that came with it refuse to even acknowledge that the hardware was even there. I do get stereo tho. Just not 5.1 or DD live with EAX 5.

post #100 of 133 Old 06-09-2009, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Not really on topic but needed to vent...so sorry up front

Push something too far ...wiped out the Win7 install drive . Now the probm is not reinstalling Win7, but all the STEAM stuff. Many of the games I use for benchies has reach their install limits . If the wipe had to happen, I guess I am glad it was on the test bench and not my gaming system...

Shld have known better then frig around with a system when I am tired. Trying to build a 20TB media file server for couple of days, trying to get some cheap IDE SATA cards to co-reside with the onboard SATA. In between f@cking up the server build, I played with the test bench. Must have mixed some settings between the two . Sigh...shld just go to bed and as they say tomorrow is another day.

As someone one time said "smile, things could be worst" and sure enough "when I smiled, things got worst"

post #101 of 133 Old 06-10-2009, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Steam has its own install limits? I know that newer EA games have limits, but the company recently allowed users to "deactivate" previous installs.
post #102 of 133 Old 06-10-2009, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

Steam has its own install limits? I know that newer EA games have limits, but the company recently allowed users to "deactivate" previous installs.

Not STEAM itself but the games they sell from other publishers such as Crysis games and Mass Effect (EA), FarCry 2 are just few examples. EA deactivation needs the game to be already installed before you can deactivate it. If you wiped (corrupted) the boot disk and the installed is not register with the system (registry) then the deactivate will not work since it does not see the game as being installed.

I've talked to STEAM support about the stupidity of having install limits with games bought off of STEAM since you can not play them except on one PC at a time since you can only login to your STEAM account once at any time. They said thats true but the publishers determine what they want as to install limits and that I would have to contact the publisher to try to get more activations.

I can just see now all the support calls once Win7 is released.

post #103 of 133 Old 06-10-2009, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you wiped (corrupted) the boot disk and the installed is not register with the system (registry) then the deactivate will not work since it does not see the game as being installed.

Ah, I didn't even think about that. It's a shame how legitimate users have to sometimes go through hoops in order to play games bought for their own enjoyment.
post #104 of 133 Old 06-10-2009, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Def for those who are a little left of center .

What the heck, I have a spare 9400GT lying around. So I installed it on the test bench along with the quad 295's just to see what happens. Hoping to use the 9400GT as the PhysX card. Well it seems Nvidia drivers are not set up to support 5 GPUs. None of the official drivers or beta drivers would install letting me get to setting up SLI. Win7 does not even show the Nvidia as a option to select for setting display up. Well I guess you can not run 5 GPUs . Did some testing and def SLI (quad or even dual) was not active. EVGA Precision shows all 5 GPUs, but none in SLI mode. Intresting

post #105 of 133 Old 06-10-2009, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Was the 9400GT for testing purposes only?

The reason I ask is because the 9400GT is probably underpowered for using as a PhysX card to supplement high-end GPUs. With respect to the 9-series cards, the benchmarks I've seen indicate that high-end users should use at least a 9600GT if they want a GPU dedicated to PhysX. The 9400GT has a particularly low number of stream processors.

In other words, if all 5 GPUs did work well together, it would seem that the 295s themselves will handle PhysX equipped games much better than when adding a 9400GT to the mix.
post #106 of 133 Old 06-10-2009, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I initially bought the 9400GT to use as PhysX card a while back. But since 5 GPU's do not seem to work anyway. But hey anything to take the load of the GPU's that are use to render the 3D stuff wouldn't hurt.

ADD: I currently use a 8600GTS as the PhysX card with my SLI 280's in my gaming system. But I have to use the 186 beta driver sinec Nvidia seems to have screwed up using an odd card for PhysX when two other cards are SLI'd with their 185 drivers. No option to select specific card to use as PhysX. Prev drivers to the 185 allowed it.

post #107 of 133 Old 06-10-2009, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

ahh apperently the forte will have full win 7 64x drivers! end of july is what the dude said in the email, plus I got it for a great price! I really like the headphone amp built in, I use mine alot so it would be usefull indeed.

post #108 of 133 Old 06-10-2009, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Finally got my new motherboard, and guess what? Same issue.

Call ASUS tech support (Which I should have done in the first place), and the issue was bad RAM. So I am currently running at 4 gigs instead of 6.

That being said, I am running my i7 920 at 4ghz water cooled at 32c (The 4 cores are 32, 36, 33, and 34).

I'm guessing I could go 4.2ghz easy, but I am rebuilding my system as we speak since I lost my RAID volume in the transfer.

post #109 of 133 Old 06-10-2009, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by policy View Post

Finally got my new motherboard, and guess what? Same issue.

Call ASUS tech support (Which I should have done in the first place), and the issue was bad RAM. So I am currently running at 4 gigs instead of 6.

That being said, I am running my i7 920 at 4ghz water cooled at 32c (The 4 cores are 32, 36, 33, and 34).

I'm guessing I could go 4.2ghz easy, but I am rebuilding my system as we speak since I lost my RAID volume in the transfer.

Glad you got the probm fixed. RAM would have been the last thing I would associate with the USB not working. Learn something new every day.

I guess those temps are idle. OCCT is a good simple to use progm to tress test the system. Just need to run it for about 15 min's and that shld tell you how well the system run and gives you nice pretty graphs.

post #110 of 133 Old 06-11-2009, 03:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ADD: I currently use a 8600GTS as the PhysX card with my SLI 280's in my gaming system. But I have to use the 186 beta driver sinec Nvidia seems to have screwed up using an odd card for PhysX when two other cards are SLI'd with their 185 drivers. No option to select specific card to use as PhysX. Prev drivers to the 185 allowed it.

You should stay away from the 185 WHQL driver for other reasons as well. It has severe graphical issues with games running on the Source engine. Solid textures often become transparent and/or replaced by incorrect textures. This was fixed in the newest 186 Beta driver.
post #111 of 133 Old 06-11-2009, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Solid textures often become transparent and/or replaced by incorrect textures. This was fixed in the newest 186 Beta driver.

Wow that would be have been a non detectable hack with Counterstrike...see thru walls...

post #112 of 133 Old 06-11-2009, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I see that "Trubritar" uploaded his initial video of the ASUS P6T7 WS Supercomputer motherboard on YouTube (see here).

WHOAH!
post #113 of 133 Old 06-11-2009, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I see that "Trubritar" uploaded his initial video of the ASUS P6T7 WS Supercomputer motherboard on YouTube (see here).

WHOAH!

I am glad I wasn't the only one that pronounce ASUS (A-sus) like he does rather the what ASUS US does (A-zeus), like him already...

Sim to the WS Revo mobo with an added x16 (2nd NF200) and firewire and a larger footprint. I was tempted but it was not readily available when I picked up the Revo mobo. Also for gaming I didn't see the need for two NF200 to get four x16 PCIe 2.0 slots. Just don't know how you would use it in any SLI configuration with existing cards. Also it was going to cost prob another $100+ more then the WS Revo. Would be an intresting mobo for those doing FOLDING. Its really intended to be a workstation mobo and not a gaming mobo. ASUS high end gaming mobo's are their ROG line. But then there is no real reason why you can not use the WS line for gaming (I do). The only possible catch maybe some OCing features may not be as well implemented as the ROG line.

post #114 of 133 Old 06-21-2009, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Trubritar's ASUS Supercomputer motherboard results are in (see here). He came pretty close to the 3DMark Vantage world record (with a "mild" overclock), which is currently held by a machine using the ASUS MARS cards.

It would have been good if he actually tested some PhysX-laden games, in order to see how effective it is to offload the calculations to the 9800GT while using three GTX 285s.
post #115 of 133 Old 06-21-2009, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Crysis games at 25x16 still kills the system...just to prove that Crysis games can not be played at 25x16 even with all the great gear that was tested.

Looking at the screen playback, looks like he left vsync on in the Street Fighter 4 demo. Even tho the frame rates where high, the action on the screen was not sped up like what I got with the demo.

The price of those OCZ mem is something....great mem for benchies but really way over kill for 24/7. Still nice to have tho.

See he didn't try quad 295 with the 9800gt as physX. Just curious if it will work for him since it didn't work for me.

Intresting review.

post #116 of 133 Old 06-21-2009, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

They likely slowed down the Street Fighter IV recording. With the frame rates they got without using anti-aliasing, the benchmark probably lasted 4 seconds.
post #117 of 133 Old 06-22-2009, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have the X-fi forte in my gaming system (no PCI slots on mobo just PCIe ), Win7 didn 't like it either just FYI.... SW that came with it refuse to even acknowledge that the hardware was even there. I do get stereo tho. Just not 5.1 or DD live with EAX 5.

Tinker, I just got my card today and everything works fine in win 7 64x. DD live works, 5.1 works fine and sounds freaking great I might add! The headphone amp is decent but my senn 650's sound better with my own marsh headphone amp.

I did have to play around in the settings in the console to get it to detect my 5.1 but after that it was all smooth sailing. I wonder what the deal is with some of the setups? I've read alot of people are having issues and some are fine in Win 7. With the same hardware too! doesn't make alot of sence.

post #118 of 133 Old 06-22-2009, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Tinker, I just got my card today and everything works fine in win 7 64x. DD live works, 5.1 works fine and sounds freaking great I might add! The headphone amp is decent but my senn 650's sound better with my own marsh headphone amp.

I did have to play around in the settings in the console to get it to detect my 5.1 but after that it was all smooth sailing. I wonder what the deal is with some of the setups? I've read alot of people are having issues and some are fine in Win 7. With the same hardware too! doesn't make alot of sence.

Regardless if the card is Auzentech, the underlying driver is still Creative. Those guys can muck up anything. Maybe the new win7 drivers at the end of the month may resolve the probms for both my Prelude and Forte with win7. Both works with XP.

post #119 of 133 Old 06-23-2009, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I tried using the new x-fi driver from creatives site, just to see if it would work on my gaming rig and it didn't, hissing and cracking for me BUT it worked on my HTPC with the forte (win 7 64x also) hahahaha thats is plain stupid why it won't work on my gaming system but works fine on my HTPC.
Never the less, the auzentech drivers work fine on my gaming system, so I'm a happy camper.
Now I just need Call of juarez to give it a good workout

post #120 of 133 Old 06-26-2009, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

ASUS P6T7 WS Supercomputer Motherboard Review

I tght they knew how to OC . Pretty pity-full OCing they got.

http://www.motherboards.org/reviews/...ds/1913_1.html

Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page