How to get 5.1 (games) to my receiver from ATI 3870 via HDMI? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-11-2009, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 162
My 3870 does audio through a built in Realtek sound driver. I can set movies to pass SPDIF using AC3 filter and my receiver decodes it and I get 5.1 sound.

However in games. I am only getting stereo sound. I don't have any option to pass the signal via SPDIF to let my receiver decode it. The realtek HDMI out is only sending 2 channel even if I select 5.1 in the game.

Is there anyway to get 5.1 from games to my receiver? I have an XFI creative sound card, but I really don't wan't to buy another 75 foot optical cable and have to run it to my projector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-12-2009, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
(last I checked) Unfortunately, unless your audio drivers support encoding audio to a Dolby Digital or DTS signal, then you only get 2 channel audio. The only way around it is to use analogue cables if your receiver has RCA inputs for 5.1.

I don't have a 3870, but I would assume it does not encode PCM audio to multichannel signals.

They explained this (again) in a very recent thread on this forum: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1071400
post #3 of 6 Old 01-15-2009, 06:34 AM

3xxx series does not support sound over HDMI irc.
Starting at the 4xxx series they do.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-08-2009, 05:01 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

I have an XFI creative sound card.

I had the same problem because my X-Fi ExtremeGamer card doesn't decode Dolby Digital...by (bad) design. I just used the $15 Creative cable to make an analog connection to my receiver. The cable was about 10 ft long, plenty IMO.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-01-2009, 08:35 PM

Conan, why do you need to run audio over HDMI to your receiver and why worry about a cable to your projector?

Just run an SPDIF or Optical from your XIFI to your receiver. As long as you are using Creative Alchemy, have setup the game properly, and you have purchased the DDL/DTS Connect addon from Creative you should be golden.

Remember, if the game does not natively support Dolby Surround (most do not) you will at least have EAX as an option (which frankly is better than native Dolby for games due to specialized effects that most game developers use). With the Creative DDL addon it will then encode that 5.1 signal into a Dolby Digital stream and output it over digital. No need for HDMI.

I am using this setup today and it works flawlessly. I watch movies and play games, all over optical to my Denon 3808ci, on Vista Ultimate 64bit.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-01-2009, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by santiagodraco View Post

Conan, why do you need to run audio over HDMI to your receiver and why worry about a cable to your projector?

Just run an SPDIF or Optical from your XIFI to your receiver. As long as you are using Creative Alchemy, have setup the game properly, and you have purchased the DDL/DTS Connect addon from Creative you should be golden.

Remember, if the game does not natively support Dolby Surround (most do not) you will at least have EAX as an option (which frankly is better than native Dolby for games due to specialized effects that most game developers use). With the Creative DDL addon it will then encode that 5.1 signal into a Dolby Digital stream and output it over digital. No need for HDMI.

I am using this setup today and it works flawlessly. I watch movies and play games, all over optical to my Denon 3808ci, on Vista Ultimate 64bit.

QFT. I have the X-fi Titanium and use it just this way, works really well for gaming. And you can still set it to pass through for movies if you like by disabling the decoder in the creative menu, and setting your PC to optical out in the speaker menu. Takes about 10 sec. to make the switch.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page