Burnout Paradise for PC - Controller Config Problems - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 02-05-2009, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone tried out Burnout Paradise for PC and tried to setup a PS3/360 type controller on it (like a logitech dual action or something similar)? I'm having the most difficult time trying to map all the controls to the buttons, but it seems there are not enough buttons for the controls. I don't know why they made it so difficult though as the game was out for PS3 and 360 first before the PC, so I thought they would have made a default config for controllers. Anyone else have success?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 02-05-2009, 01:07 PM

Was planning on getting this for the PC. But not after reading this post...
post #3 of 26 Old 02-05-2009, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quidam67 View Post

Was planning on getting this for the PC. But not after reading this post...

Well...maybe I'm just a dunce on this one and can't figure it out, but I've tried at least 20 config combinations and all of them seem to fall short.
post #4 of 26 Old 02-05-2009, 04:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
IMO: Any racing game that doesn't come pre-configed for a wheel or a 360 controller at this point isn't worth buying.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #5 of 26 Old 02-05-2009, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

IMO: Any racing game that doesn't come pre-configed for a wheel or a 360 controller at this point isn't worth buying.

I agree with your statement. Especially coming from a big publisher like EA, theres no excuse.

PSN:The_Wise_Guy
XBL:DirtySanWiseGuy
Steam:The_Wise_Guy
BF4 PC:The_Wise_Guy

post #6 of 26 Old 02-05-2009, 08:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
Actually I meant to say "any game", (with the exception of FPS) that could use a controller should have mandatory XBOX controller setups as that is the most popular controller for the PC by far. What I don't understand is why they need to have the "Games for Windows" brand attached in order for this to be possible?

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #7 of 26 Old 02-05-2009, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Well for now I've settled on a config that at least is nearly fully functional. I had to cheat a little bit (such as the F1/F2 controls for the menu, I decided to just assign a button to the F1 control and leave F2 blank, which forces me to settle with having to cycle through options only one way). It isn't perfect, but at least it works.
post #8 of 26 Old 02-06-2009, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Finally figured out that you can combine buttons to make one control, so it is possible to map all the controls. It helped looking at the PS3 version of the game's button configs. Anyway, I was a dunce, but got it figured out. Hope they make a default profile in the future for others that end up with this problem though, took awhile to figure it all out.
post #9 of 26 Old 02-07-2009, 09:08 AM

well the next question has to be.....

how do you like the game????

"MYTH: Three Americans every year die from rabies.
FACT: Four Americans every year die from rabies."
post #10 of 26 Old 02-07-2009, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

The game is ok. I always contend that Burnout 3 was the greatest Burnout ever made out of all the Burnouts. This one doesn't come close to it, but it offers a few new things that the old Burnouts never had (free roaming around the city, a choice of what races or events you want to do to obtain a new license, and the PC version lets you restart the events in the middle of them which I heard the console versions did not have). So...it's not a terrible game, but it does leave much to be desired, esp on the multiplayer side. Party mode (aka the Party Pack) is a joke in my opinion and isn't fun at all. But hey...it's for PC, and that's a start. Personally I wish they'd just release Burnout 3 for the PC. But maybe they will either patch or expand Paradise to include a better party mode in the future (bring back stunt crashes in party mode like in 3!!). I haven't tried the online mode yet, but what's the point. I got the game to play with my friends that come over, not to play online.

So, great single player experience, but poor multiplayer experience (excluding online play of course which I might try next week).
post #11 of 26 Old 02-07-2009, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Well the more I deal with this game, the more I dislike it. I've learned that you can't add custom music to the game for the PC version. You can for the 360 and the PS3 versions...but the PC version, nope. I swear, every EA published game that has come out lately for PC just has all sorts of shortcomings (Spore, Command and Conquer 3, and now this). In their defense, Mirror's Edge which they also published isn't too bad, but I haven't gotten a lot of play time with it. Man I hope Blizzard comes through on Diablo 3 - seems to be about the only game left I have hope for...
post #12 of 26 Old 02-09-2009, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

I'm not sure which specific pad the OP was having trouble with, but I use the 360 wireless receiver and a wireless 360 gamepad, and all the controls for Burnout Paradise were automatically configured when I first launched the game. I didn't even need to enter the contols setup menu to configure anything, the pad just worked exactly as it did with the console version.
post #13 of 26 Old 02-09-2009, 07:22 AM

DL'ed it for PC, connected it to my logitech wireless controler no probs with it.
post #14 of 26 Old 02-09-2009, 03:44 PM

I have found that you MUST have the controller turned on BEFORE you launch the game for it to see and detect the controller. I also had issues similar to your for playing Dead Space. There was simply no configuration screen to change the settings for the xbox controller. Not to mention changing scroll speed independent of movement and aiming modes..! All of these recent PC ports are very discouraging. I may try to borrow Burnout Paradise from my friend to see if it's worth buying. Doesn't sound like it from your feedback.
post #15 of 26 Old 02-09-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagnWagn View Post

I have found that you MUST have the controller turned on BEFORE you launch the game for it to see and detect the controller. I also had issues similar to your for playing Dead Space. There was simply no configuration screen to change the settings for the xbox controller. Not to mention changing scroll speed independent of movement and aiming modes..! All of these recent PC ports are very discouraging. I may try to borrow Burnout Paradise from my friend to see if it's worth buying. Doesn't sound like it from your feedback.

I'm using an xbox controller, and turned it on after starting playing the game, the controller worked fine, no configuration needed and even the menu changed with proper pad keys.
post #16 of 26 Old 02-09-2009, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

I have a Logitech PS3 controller. This one doesn't have configs when starting the game, so had to input them myself. It was a pain to do until I learned you could combine buttons to one control. A lot of others are having the same issue, but it isn't really an issue per say, really just an annoyance.

I had no issues with it detecting the controller though. That was just fine. Just configuring the buttons as it had no default config for the controller.

Another issue - has anyone been able to get custom music for the PC version?? Just wondering as it doesn't seem to have the funtionality for it...
post #17 of 26 Old 02-10-2009, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatMom View Post

I'm using an xbox controller, and turned it on after starting playing the game, the controller worked fine, no configuration needed and even the menu changed with proper pad keys.

same here, I always turn mine on after starting the game. config works great with no changes.

Although, I'm not really liking this one as much as burnout 1 and 2.
post #18 of 26 Old 02-10-2009, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProSpud View Post

Another issue - has anyone been able to get custom music for the PC version?? Just wondering as it doesn't seem to have the funtionality for it...

I haven't gone through all of the in-game setup menus, but can't you just turn off or lower the volume for the music and then play your own mp3's in the background with WMP?
post #19 of 26 Old 02-10-2009, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetPreacher View Post

I haven't gone through all of the in-game setup menus, but can't you just turn off or lower the volume for the music and then play your own mp3's in the background with WMP?

Yep but that's not what I'm asking. I'd like it to be in game if possible.
post #20 of 26 Old 02-19-2009, 08:36 AM

How do you even get to the options menu to configure the controller? I don't see any options on the main menu and on the in game menu when I press esc the only thing I see is statistics on my accomplishments and a shortcut to the burnout store or something like that.

I cannot use my left hand very well so now the configuration I have is basically useless. I really need some help.
post #21 of 26 Old 02-19-2009, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

After hitting ESC to pause the game, I think the default keys are F1 & F2 to cylcle through the different menus (statistics, downloaded content, options, etc.).

This threw me for a loop the first time I looked for the audio/control options as well.
post #22 of 26 Old 02-19-2009, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I really do find the menus to be a pain. Took me a long time just to figure out how to quit the darn thing. F1 and F2 really aren't all that obvious even when it shows them at the top of the list, it doesn't actually say what they do. I think GRID is better, though obviously quite different.

-Trouble
post #23 of 26 Old 06-22-2010, 09:04 AM

I don't mean to necro a post or anything, but I stumbled across this while trying to find out how easy it was to get a 360 controller to work in Burnout Paradise.

ProSpud: I don't know what your problem is, but I haven't had any trouble with any controller I've plugged into my PC.

I didn't have to configure a damned thing.

From my MadCatz PS3 controller and my Logitech PS3 controller, to my Microsoft Corded AND Wireless XBox 360 controllers and a few other controllers I have laying around (even a couple super old ones from the mid-90's)

Did you make sure to plug in the controller before starting the game, and make sure that it's on?

I'm just putting this here in case anyone else runs across this post when googling about this game.

The game comes fully supporting almost every controller on the market.
post #24 of 26 Old 06-24-2010, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter

It works...you just have to configure each button manually. And it's a real pain to do that.
post #25 of 26 Old 06-29-2010, 07:57 PM

I use a program called xpadder that maps the keyboard and mouse to many different gamepads and it works great. I'm able to map older games that don't support gamepads and the analog stick maps to mouse movements with no lag so you might try that. Diablo 2 is now playable with a controller. I also use my controller as a wireless mouse to work in windows and firefox.

Shon
post #26 of 26 Old 09-06-2011, 11:43 AM

I have been Burnout Paradise for a long time I did not find anything better. I really like the open concept.

In fact there are some 3rd party game controller that will allow you to exercise and play the game. Just google "Cyber ExerCycle".

Unfortunately it is available only for the PC version.

Victor,
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page