Win7 Prem and Pro Update Pre's - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 06-26-2009, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For those interested, MS is offering pre's of Win7 Prem and Pro upgrades at various sellers at 1/2 price. All the sellers are basically selling at same price so I chose Amazon.ca for my pre. I almost pre'd the Ultimate but there is no discount. If when Win7 pricing gets more settled prior to release and if I can get the full not upgrade version I can alway cancel the Amazon pre if it has not shipped. Just a heads up for those who want to save a little $$$ .

http://www.dailytech.com/US+Canadian...ticle15534.htm

some add info

http://community.winsupersite.com/bl...-upgrades.aspx

You do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 06-26-2009, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I chose Home Premium, I looked at the comparison sheet in Thurrott's Windows fan site and found that it had literally everything I cared about:

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/win7_skus_compare.asp

Plus, its only $50.

I suppose when/if I get more than 16gbs of RAM I can pay for the Pro upgrade.
post #3 of 33 Old 06-26-2009, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
This feature (if its not to limiting and working) would be the reason I would go with pro over the prem ver of Win7. Just call me paranoid.

XP Mode licensed

post #4 of 33 Old 06-26-2009, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I will probably stick with Vista Home Premium 64-bit for quite some time. I guess I'm one of few people who have been completely satisfied with the Vista experience.
post #5 of 33 Old 06-26-2009, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

I chose Home Premium, I looked at the comparison sheet in Thurrott's Windows fan site and found that it had literally everything I cared about:

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/win7_skus_compare.asp

Plus, its only $50.

I suppose when/if I get more than 16gbs of RAM I can pay for the Pro upgrade.

Same here, went with Home Premium. This will be one of the few versions of Windows that I didn't wait a while to buy ( like when SP1 is released).
post #6 of 33 Old 06-26-2009, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Too bad that I'm using Vista 32 bit and want to upgrade to Win 7 64 bit.

Right now I think I'm going to get one of the Technet Plus direct subs, it's $249 until July 3 using code TEYFY09, that way I may try Windows Home Server too.
post #7 of 33 Old 06-26-2009, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsra13 View Post

Too bad that I'm using Vista 32 bit and want to upgrade to Win 7 64 bit.

Right now I think I'm going to get one of the Technet Plus direct subs, it's $249 until July 3 using code TEYFY09, that way I may try Windows Home Server too.

Not 100% sure but I don't think it will matter if you have VISTA 32 when it comes to the upgrade. I am using XP pro and its suppose to allow me to upgrade to any version of Win7 (may need a DL from MS for 64 since I am getting mine from amazon retail).

post #8 of 33 Old 06-26-2009, 11:24 AM

This is a good one [IMG]http://www.*****************/trafficreport/img/3721/k08t1221bbuq/gdsmile.gif[/IMG]
I've been waiting for this.
post #9 of 33 Old 06-26-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsra13 View Post

[IMG]http://www.****************/img/i/P.jpg[/IMG]Too bad that I'm using Vista 32 bit and want to upgrade to Win 7 64 bit.

Right now I think I'm going to get one of the Technet Plus direct subs, it's $249 until July 3 using code TEYFY09, that way I may try Windows Home Server too.[IMG]http://***************/9/P/i.jpg[/IMG]

I've been using vista ultimate 64x for a while & I like it but this windows 7 looks pretty awesome, picked a copy up to compare.
post #10 of 33 Old 06-26-2009, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A good exp on what can be upgraded

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/new...than-vista.ars

Quoting from article

"Upgrading from XP or Vista with a retail copy
While these price changes are positive for consumers (none of the products has increased in price), they are rather disappointing for those hoping for much more aggressive price slashes given the current economic climate. Thankfully, retail pricing is typically used as a starting point; most users will not be buying retail versions anyway. Retail sales account for less than 5 percent of Windows sales, the rest of sales are via OEM. Some consumers will either grab an OEM copy via an online or in-store purchase, but most will be getting a copy of Windows 7 with the next purchase of their PC.

Windows XP users need to know that regardless of which edition they currently have installed (Windows XP Home, Windows XP Professional, or Windows XP Media Center Edition) and regardless of which edition of Windows 7 they are moving to (Home Premium, Professional , or Ultimate), they will need to perform a clean install, whether they buy the upgrade or full version. The hassle of backing up applications and user data will fall on the user; a clean install will not back up anything. Using Windows Easy Transfer, users can copy their important files and settings to an external USB stick, external hard drive, or DVD, and then move the data back after the installation.

The installer will verify that XP is genuine and Windows 7 will have to be installed on the same partition as the XP installation. The good news is that Microsoft is allowing XP users to buy the cheaper upgrade version if they want to (Microsoft typically lets owners of the two previous releases of Windows to do this, in this case XP and Vista).

Windows Vista users can follow multiple upgrade paths to Windows 7. As was the case when upgrading from XP to Vista, you will only need to perform a clean install if you are going to a version that is lower on the food chain. For example, if you are going from Windows Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Home Premium, you would do a clean install. If you are going from Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Ultimate, you do not need to do a clean install. When you switch to a higher version, you're adding on the existing functionality, but when you're going to a lesser version, you're taking away functionality, thus the need for a clean install.

Clean installs will also have to be performed when upgrading from a 32-bit version to a 64-bit version, regardless of edition. Unless the user chooses to repartition or format the current partition, Vista's files from C:\\WINDOWS will be preserved under C:\\WINDOWS.OLD, just as when upgrading from Windows XP to Windows Vista.

As with Vista, each DVD includes the various editions. Unlike Vista, every edition of Windows 7 is a superset of the previous edition, so you will not lose any features when upgrading. Once you have some edition of Windows 7 on your system, whether you purchased it via an OEM or just upgraded from Windows XP or Windows Vista, you will be able to upgrade to a "more premium" version of Windows 7 by purchasing an upgrade key to unlock additional features, just as with Vista. This is called Windows Anytime Upgrade (WAU). For example, you could start off with Windows Vista Home Premium, upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium, and then later choose to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional. "

post #11 of 33 Old 06-26-2009, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just added two copies of Win7 Prem to the Pro. Price is too good not to. Since I will need one for the gaming system (pro) and the other Prem for the test bench and/or main HTPC. Right now its like paying for the Pro version and getting the Prem's for free.

add: others convinced me I don't need pro, so I am just getting the two Prem.

post #12 of 33 Old 06-26-2009, 04:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
A little confused here. So if I go from Vista Home OEM to Win 7 Prem can I do an upgrade without doing a wipe? (I figure I might as well, $50 is cheap enough).

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #13 of 33 Old 06-26-2009, 10:38 PM

Copied from Gizmodo:

"To be clear, the term "upgrade" just means you already own and run a version of Windows on the PC you're upgrading. It's still a complete set of bits that you can clean install and even set up for dual booting. The "full" version is mostly for people who are building their own systems."

And if i remember correctly, the shift from Vista to 7 is supposed to be easier (ie- upgrade rather than clean install) than the shift from XP to 7 (only clean install)

"MYTH: Three Americans every year die from rabies.
FACT: Four Americans every year die from rabies."
post #14 of 33 Old 06-27-2009, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

For $49 I went ahead and took the plunge. I also went over to the 'Egg to add another 2GB of RAM to my machine...
post #15 of 33 Old 06-29-2009, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I also ordered the Prem for $49 once I learned I could do a clean install and upgrade to 64 bits. I already have 4 GB of RAM but I'm planning on getting another 4 GB, just because I'd be able, I don't think I'd ever use 8 GB in Win 7.
post #16 of 33 Old 06-29-2009, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorona76 View Post

For $49 I went ahead and took the plunge. I also went over to the 'Egg to add another 2GB of RAM to my machine...

I have 2GB of RAM in my machine, but my machine is old. I want to go to 4 because I don't plan on upgrading any time soon (at least a year), but my system uses DDR1 RAM.
post #17 of 33 Old 06-30-2009, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Intresting, for those using corporate lic windows, these Win7 upgrades may (prob) not work. Just a heads up.

post #18 of 33 Old 06-30-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:

I have 2GB of RAM in my machine, but my machine is old. I want to go to 4 because I don't plan on upgrading any time soon (at least a year), but my system uses DDR1 RAM.

I've been running Win 7 on an old laptop with 1.25 gig ram and it runs really well. I open a ton of things concurrenty on a regular basis and it runs better than XP under those conditions. I think you'll be fine with 2.
post #19 of 33 Old 06-30-2009, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samstag View Post

I've been running Win 7 on an old laptop with 1.25 gig ram and it runs really well. I open a ton of things concurrenty on a regular basis and it runs better than XP under those conditions. I think you'll be fine with 2.

But for $35 why not got to 4GB?
post #20 of 33 Old 07-01-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:

But for $35 why not got to 4GB?

If you can find him 4 gig og DDR1 ram for that price, that would be a really killer deal.
post #21 of 33 Old 07-01-2009, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post

Intresting, for those using corporate lic windows, these Win7 upgrades may (prob) not work. Just a heads up.

Direct from the FAQ on Microsoft's Prepurchase offer site:

How do I know if I am eligible for this offer?

To be eligible for the offer, you need to be running a genuine copy of the Windows XP or Windows Vista operating systems.

I am an original Windows 2000 Professional purchaser who upgraded to Windows XP Home via an upgrade disc. Now I ordered the Windows 7 based on the above information, which is all that was/is available at this time. I do own a genuine copy of XP so I would assume the upgrade will apply to me. That said I dont see how they would deny an upgrade from a corporate license? I bring this up because I also have a "work" PC at home that I was planning on upgrading that is running from a stand alone, legitamite, corporate key. When I've ran the updtes and it forces a new validation tool it always comes back and says it is a genuine copy so....

I guess we'll see in 3.5 months....
post #22 of 33 Old 07-01-2009, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samstag View Post

If you can find him 4 gig og DDR1 ram for that price, that would be a really killer deal.

To be fair, he's already got 2GB and only needs 2 more to have 4GB...DDR1 is a little more expnsive but not out of reach.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231039
post #23 of 33 Old 07-01-2009, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I have G. Skill RAM in my box but it's not that type. It has a red casing. Can you put in two different types like that?
post #24 of 33 Old 07-01-2009, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have G. Skill RAM in my box but it's not that type. It has a red casing. Can you put in two different types like that?

Yes. So long as you are NOT trying to run it Dual Channel (being a DDR1 chipset I dont think that was possible anyway). Memory timings *should* fall back to the slower settings if it is done automatically. If timing and speed is set manually then you may need to reduce settings to the slower fothe two yourself.
post #25 of 33 Old 07-01-2009, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Direct from the FAQ on Microsoft's Prepurchase offer site:

How do I know if I am eligible for this offer?

To be eligible for the offer, you need to be running a genuine copy of the Windows XP or Windows Vista operating systems.

I am an original Windows 2000 Professional purchaser who upgraded to Windows XP Home via an upgrade disc. Now I ordered the Windows 7 based on the above information, which is all that was/is available at this time. I do own a genuine copy of XP so I would assume the upgrade will apply to me. That said I dont see how they would deny an upgrade from a corporate license? I bring this up because I also have a "work" PC at home that I was planning on upgrading that is running from a stand alone, legitamite, corporate key. When I've ran the updtes and it forces a new validation tool it always comes back and says it is a genuine copy so....

I guess we'll see in 3.5 months....

Large corporate accounts are diff in that most of those Corp's do not go thru individual upgrade like process as what individual consumers do. They are rolled out via a central support group (usaully a complete wipe along with a new install along with all the corp suit of SW). Also most large corp accounts uses Service Agreements (SA's) and their upgrade are covered by that and not individual upgrades. Also MS has release some doc's that there can only be 25 max upgrades per street address (up from 5 in from prev MS OS's) for smaller businesses. So basically unless the Corp goes Win7 you will (might?) not be able to upgrade using a corp lic key. But then who knows whats going to be until the actual product gets released.

post #26 of 33 Old 07-01-2009, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post

Large corporate accounts are diff in that most of those Corp's do not go thru individual upgrade like process as what individual consumers do. They are rolled out via a central support group (usaully a complete wipe along with a new install along with all the corp suit of SW). Also most large corp accounts uses Service Agreements (SA's) and their upgrade are covered by that and not individual upgrades. Also MS has release some doc's that there can only be 25 max upgrades per street address (up from 5 in from prev MS OS's) for smaller businesses. So basically unless the Corp goes Win7 you will (might?) not be able to upgrade using a corp lic key. But then who knows whats going to be until the actual product gets released.

We're a small company and I'm pretty sure it's a 25 license pack we're using but I dont think that I'll be able to convince IT & the owner of the company to upgrade ALL licenses across the board when Windows XP is functional & stable.
post #27 of 33 Old 07-03-2009, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm not sure I'm going to get this upgrade version. I have Vista OEM, and I might be building a new system when Windows 7 comes out. If I get the upgrade, it will invalidate my Vista license, and I might want to continue using that in my current system.

I'm not even sure if the OEM version will qualify, since it's supposed to be for one system only (and you can't move it to another). My thinking is that they wouldn't allow you to use an OEM disc tied to a different system to perform a Win7 installation on a new system. However, I'm not sure how they'd verify that in a clean install, since they can't connect to check until it's installed.

In any case, I'd rather not risk it to save what will probably only be $50-60. Plus, with a new copy I won't have to reinsert the Vista disc each time I reinstall.
post #28 of 33 Old 07-03-2009, 02:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
OEM version should would just fine. I'm 99.9999% certain.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #29 of 33 Old 07-03-2009, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

OEM version should would just fine. I'm 99.9999% certain.

On the same computer it would, but I don't think you could transfer it to another one. I think the upgrade would only work if you install it on the same system, since the OEM license is only for the system to which it's installed.
post #30 of 33 Old 07-03-2009, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone thinking on getting an SSD drive for Win 7?
From what I've read SSDs run really well in Win 7. The OS has several enhancements specially for SSDs. And prices are going down, of course price will always be going down.

So right now I see that Kingston has a 128 GB SSD drive for $250. Should 128 GB be fine? Or is 64 GB already fine?

Loading my OS from cold in less than one minute should be wonderful. I can only imaginate it, Win 7 64bit, 8 GB of RAM, and an SSD drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HTPC Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page