post #91 of 168 Old 10-04-2011, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

Doesn't matter. I ain't buying it, especially not in the state it's in. Steam sale for $10 is imminent. At least my pre-order was only $5.

Which brings us to Skyrim which is also a Bethesda release- the 360 is the leading platform here once more. This concerns me- I'll never pre-order a PC relelase again.

Yep same here. I never pay full price for PC games anymore... Usually look for a legit 3rd party Steam reseller and get it for half price. Its sad state us pc gamers are in, seems like we get all the consoles scraps. If a title is multiplatform you can pretty much write off any major support. May get a few patches here and there...but once the money is made their done. I have all the consoles this generation but i still rather play anyday the game on PC. Just crappy theres so many hoops and patches now to get it to work then ontop of that they lock down the game from modding.. pc gaming has changed lots last few years..not likin it at all

PSN:The_Wise_Guy
XBL:DirtySanWiseGuy
Steam:The_Wise_Guy
BF4 PC:The_Wise_Guy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 168 Old 10-04-2011, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Running beta drivers, 2600k, 2x gtx580sli, and the game like utter garbage. The texture pop in is some of the worst I've ever seen. The crap in Halo 2 was more tolerable.

I've only played the first mission but I'm not impressed so far....being that it's unplayable and all.

post #93 of 168 Old 10-04-2011, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Some people aren't getting that, so hopefully it will be fixed. It certainly should be a very easy fix, like changing a distance parameter or something. Im not buying it until i get a firm answer on 3D support, but its not looking good atm.
post #94 of 168 Old 10-04-2011, 06:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tory40 View Post

Some people aren't getting that, so hopefully it will be fixed. It certainly should be a very easy fix, like changing a distance parameter or something. Im not buying it until i get a firm answer on 3D support, but its not looking good atm.

People are getting it- they just don't want to admit what a POS this game is. Pop-in is visible in all versions, the PC version uses the same low-resolution textures as the 360 version.

There is a newer AMD driver that appears to fix some of the problems, but once again, the PC version seems to be total garbage and there's no way I'm paying $60 for it.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #95 of 168 Old 10-04-2011, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

People are getting it- they just don't want to admit what a POS this game is. Pop-in is visible in all versions, the PC version uses the same low-resolution textures as the 360 version.

There is a newer AMD driver that appears to fix some of the problems, but once again, the PC version seems to be total garbage and there's no way I'm paying $60 for it.

Wise choice. I'll be wrapping up Deus Ex and tackling Dark Souls. Maybe this turd will be polished in a month. The mighty really have fallen.

post #96 of 168 Old 10-04-2011, 07:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalmieri1203 View Post

Wise choice. I'll be wrapping up Deus Ex and tackling Dark Souls. Maybe this turd will be polished in a month. The mighty really have fallen.

I'm just waiting of Arkham City and Skyrim. At least Arkham has a chance of being good being that it's based on the same old Unreal engine. Skyrim is another story...

post #97 of 168 Old 10-05-2011, 04:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I have a q6600 over clocked to 3.6 560ti and 4gigs of ram. 1920 x 1200 and the game is running a smooth 60 fps. No texture pop in. Only issues i'm having is screen tearing. I'm usually not bothered by it but in this game it's horrible. I forced it on in the nvidia control panel and it's still tearing. I'm also using the beta drivers i downloaded for the bf3 beta. I saw the pop in a little bit when i first tried it out. Then i created the cache folders that was recommended and now i have no issues. Game is beautiful though i was only able to do the first mission because it was late and i was very tired.
post #98 of 168 Old 10-05-2011, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:

I'm just waiting of Arkham City and Skyrim. At least Arkham has a chance of being good being that it's based on the same old Unreal engine. Skyrim is another story...

Yah, I'm really afraid that Skyrim will be more of the same.

Sad to say, but I'm actually considering buying a 22" HDTV and another Xbox 360. Connect my older XP gaming rig to that TV and just use that set-up instead of upgrading my current gaming rig (I'll keep that connected to my big screen instead for my kids). I don't have room for a 3 monitor or a 30" monitor set-up, so it's making less and less sense to upgrade.
post #99 of 168 Old 10-05-2011, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

I've been confident about Skyrim ever since I read that DirectX 11 is used for rendering optimizations. It shows that some extra effort was put into it.

I have no doubt that Arkham City will be great. DirectX 11 graphical features and hardware PhysX is a nice bonus for us PC gamers.

As for Rage, I hope the current issues get resolved soon. I really hope screen tearing can be eliminated in some way, as that can take me out of a game.
post #100 of 168 Old 10-05-2011, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Running fine for me here with a GTX 280. I had some tearing initially but it went away when I turned on AA.
post #101 of 168 Old 10-05-2011, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Rage's presentation is defined by its compromises. Look at this screen I took:

The character(John Goodman) is beautifully detailed and well animated. Contrast that with the items id chose to frame him with. The texture on those boots and the boxes is PS2ish and laughable. Keep in mind that this scene is at the very beginning of the game and every player is required to see it. This is a compromise that is ever-present throughout Rage's world. At times this game is absolutely beautiful, which helps me overlook this graphical dissidence. It's just so strange to encounter after the now years of discussion and promoting of "MegaTextures".

The pop-in is a whole other issue. I bet most of us have become accustomed to this phenomenon via Unreal. idTech5's version is quite different. It almost causes a blinking sensation around the edges of your screen as you turn. And no texture is safe, no matter how immediate. Look forward, turn around and look back. There's a chance you'll see the textures, you'd been looking at a second before, pop back in.

With GPU transcoding enabled, the latest drivers and the AppData cache folder manually created, the pop is quick but evident. By the way, how crazy is it that I had to manually create a folder in AppData for Rage to use? I can't imagine how something like that was overlooked. Anyways, Rage maxed out at 500/840MBs system/vram usage. I wish it'd take advantage of more memory, it could obviously use it.

Besides these confounding issues id decided to launch Rage with, there's much to like about the game. Control is incredibly responsive, gun feel is great and the AI has been a lot of fun to fight. I'm glad they stuck with Carry All Your Guns At The Same Time and Pick Everything Up, No Inventory Management. It's easy to say the setting is just another wasteland, but I've been intrigued by the surroundings Rage has introduced me to so far. And am looking forward to learning more about them.

Rage is certainly a mixed bag but I think my play-through will be fun nonetheless.

Gamer Tag: Todd Stevens
post #102 of 168 Old 10-05-2011, 09:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

1. GPU Transcoding is CUDA based and not supported on ATI cards.
2. Pop-in with lame low-res textures is unacceptable in my book. Not paying for it (especially when they had 5yrs to get it right).

post #103 of 168 Old 10-05-2011, 09:18 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Hopefully they get this all worked out in the next week or two. Then I'll pick it up.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #104 of 168 Old 10-05-2011, 09:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Carmack saying he regrets developing for consoles as primary platforms.

Oh John, how soon we forget...

post #105 of 168 Old 10-05-2011, 09:31 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 638
It's all about $$$$. It will happen again.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #106 of 168 Old 10-05-2011, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Totally unplayable for me with ATI, textures are about 10x worse than the video posted in this thread. I have tried all the tweaks and nothing works, does it exactly the same at every resolution from 480p to 1080p. There is an ATI hotfix but it's for Win7 only (of course). Other than the texture issues the game seems to run fine at 1080p on my 4890, hopefully ID gives us a fix asap.

Jason
post #107 of 168 Old 10-05-2011, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Mine is kinda garbage on my tri-580's. This game need major patch repair pronto. I'll just leave it alone for a week or 2 and hopefully they will fix it.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #108 of 168 Old 10-05-2011, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 114
They are not getting my money....on ANY platform. From this point on, any developer that pulls this crap will not see a dime of my money for ANY of their work on any platform. Games are overpriced as it is and I do not accept this crap.

On another notes AMD and Nvidia need to get off their arses and work with developers more so they can actually tap into the power of these overpriced video cards. PC gaming is in bad enough shape as it is, and crap development like this does not help justify the costs of these video cards. John made a very good point in the link above about developing for pc hardware vs consoles.

Yes I am disappointed.....and I knew ID was going to do this
post #109 of 168 Old 10-05-2011, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Oh Wow....on a PC this game is Crrrrrrap! =O

Looks like a slightly prettier version of the Prey/Quake 4 engine set in outdoor areas. Looked at a ground texture outside a window on an angle that was just a smear of brown colors........looks like 4 year old technology

Vehicles, people feel like your typical ID game...no weight, no inertia...pistol feels like its a .22 with very little reaction from bad guys until they drop (you can tell they are dead because they stop charging you and fall to the ground).

Why, why, why do I ever get my hopes up. I'm 40....I know the kind of game that ID makes, this kind. I hate when I play a shooter and I drop someone and I don't feel that visceral "yeah".....no heads popping, no limbs flailing, no blood splatters, no obvious hit-textures, no body reeling from the bullet impact.....just a crappy generic shooter.

Thanks Id. Your Maths is awesome.....for 5 year old consoles. If you own a PC, do not buy this game. If you own a 360 or a PS3, skip this game and spend 1/3 as much on Crysis, which will last 2-3 times as long and you can replay it over and over and try different tactics, different approaches, etc..and when you take someone out in that game you feel like you've actually done something because bodies will fly and those guys can be lethal if they gang up on you. This game just swarms you with 'hard-to-draw-a-bead-on fast moviing cannon fodder or indestructible boss-guys.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #110 of 168 Old 10-05-2011, 06:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Heh. It's funny reading the NeoGAF PC Rage thread and seeing people try to justify their purchase. I got a chance to check the game out on a friend's PC (GTX 580) and even after lots of tweaks the pop-in was atrocious.

The only reason why I mentioned I was concerned about Skyrim's release is that it's also Bethesda, and their last few PC releases have been nightmares.

post #111 of 168 Old 10-05-2011, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

The only reason why I mentioned I was concerned about Skyrim's release is that it's also Bethesda, and their last few PC releases have been nightmares.

But, Rage was developed by ID and Skyrim does not run on the same atrocious engine as Oblivion and Fallout 3/New Vegas.

With Rage, it is not like Bethesda the publisher gave ID an unrealistic timeframe to push the game out into retail. ID had plenty of time to release a polished product for the PC.
post #112 of 168 Old 10-05-2011, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Heh. It's funny reading the NeoGAF PC Rage thread and seeing people try to justify their purchase. I got a chance to check the game out on a friend's PC (GTX 580) and even after lots of tweaks the pop-in was atrocious.

It is very funny. Theyre desperate in Gaf to make sense of their purchase. I'll admit I wasted my money and really feel burnt. The game just feels like garbage. I hate to be so blunt and harsh but it's just bad. What on Earth were they thinking releasing this on PC like this? I mean im running an upper echelon system and this thing just chugs. Very surprising, especially given ids history.

post #113 of 168 Old 10-05-2011, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Actually I gotta update my Rage impressions.....you do get hit damage on enemies, its easier to see on enemies that aren't charging you but you'd think in this day and age if you shot someone enough times in the arm it would fly off, become useless, etc......its 2011....so you get some blood splatter and you get hit reactions....of course there is no cover system, would have been nice..seems a little archaic, again...its just so...yesterday.

I'll also say this..the graphics ARE pretty, and I just figured out why: Colors. Id has so many colors on the screen at once they really did try to make things look realistic, I mean there are tons and tons of different colors and shades all over the place...its something you do NOT see in most games.....Now, WHEN THEY UPDATE THE GAME WITH TEXTURES THAT DO NOT LOOK LIKE THEY ARE FROM AN XBOX I think the visual quality will be bumped up a significant notch....but you know...they really need to do something, the AF in this game is messed up, I was looking at a pitched roof and as I walked at an angle to it, the freakin AF just "gave up" and produced a blurry mess of a texture....really bizarro and fugly.

But like all id games...you can't interact with jack. Vases don't shatter when you shoot them, LCD screens spew some low-rez hunks of glass and have a bullet hole texture....couches throw some 'fluff' and so on.....its nothing environmental...nothing filling the air with dust and debris that interacts with those fancy light-beam effects...(god rays)....you can't shoot out windows, and so on.....that part also feels very archaic...

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #114 of 168 Old 10-05-2011, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I pre-ordered from Amazon and received my copy yesterday. I really think I might not open it and send it back. I can wait a while and see what happens and get in on a sale if it looks like they fix all the problems.
post #115 of 168 Old 10-05-2011, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post

I pre-ordered from Amazon and received my copy yesterday. I really think I might not open it and send it back. I can wait a while and see what happens and get in on a sale if it looks like they fix all the problems.

You'd be wise. You're missing nothing new.

post #116 of 168 Old 10-05-2011, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 114
i just tried it for an hour on a i72600k, 16gig ram, and gtx 580. 280 drivers. At first the game had massive texture pop in. Worse case I think I have ever seen on any game. Then, suddenly it resolved itself. I even reloaded game, played the sections over again and no pop in - just massive screen tearing. I mean really bad screen tearing. 1920x1080 8x AA, transcoding on, it runs quite smooth, camera pans really quick. But the sound cracks and pops to the point where intro scene is unbearable. I agree with the texture comments. Some really good, some really bad. Its all over the place. 16x AA even runs really good, but i think since I don't really see a difference quality wise, I'd run it in 8x just to get that extra fps

I still ain't buying it. They got a LOT of fixing to do. It should never have been released like this...NEVER.
post #117 of 168 Old 10-05-2011, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

You all need to stop playing Rage and spend your $15 to buy Bastion.

post #118 of 168 Old 10-05-2011, 08:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Meh. I just picked up Alan Wake and Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions for $15 total. Those two games should occupy me until Skyrim arrives (please be good).

post #119 of 168 Old 10-06-2011, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Wow... Crazy to hear that it's so crappy. I'll probably rent it on the Xbox and just check it out for a day or two, and then pick it up like 8 months from now on the PC.
post #120 of 168 Old 10-06-2011, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
Liked: 10

You do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page