post #151 of 168 Old 10-11-2011, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Oh and I finally moved to Win7 (still don't like it compared to XP-sp3).

Spend a little time to get used to 7 and you'll eventually be glad to have finally left that old dinosaur of an OS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 168 Old 10-11-2011, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 114
yeah people really need to let go of XP already
post #153 of 168 Old 10-11-2011, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post

DEFINITELY

Some people cling to XP like a security blanket. I switched to Vista in 2008 and 7 in 2009 and never looked back. I can't even stand the sight of XP anymore. An above poster correctly referred to it as a 'dinosaur.'

/rant
post #154 of 168 Old 10-11-2011, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Even tho I am TechNet member (meaning I have access to many copies of Win7 and what ever comes next like Win8) I stil keeping XP as my file servers OS since it would be PITA to convert them to Win7 and for HTPC use since few of the apps do not work with Win7. But I use Win7 for all my gaming and test bench systems.

You do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.
post #155 of 168 Old 10-11-2011, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:

I have two Win 7 gaming rigs (laptop and desktop) and really love the os. But honestly, game publishers have given little reason for people to switch considering that most games are still running in DX9. Console ports have really screwed over pc gaming.
post #156 of 168 Old 10-12-2011, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel View Post

I have two Win 7 gaming rigs (laptop and desktop) and really love the os. But honestly, game publishers have given little reason for people to switch considering that most games are still running in DX9. Console ports have really screwed over pc gaming.

No doubt. But when I say it's time to leave xp behind, it's got nothing to do with gaming. Personally, and this is my opinion only, but the gui of 7 and even Vista was leaps better then xp ever was. Especially for media files. We have still have xp on our business machines but I absolutely refuse to go back to xp and haven't seen it since the vista beta.

Anyways I tried rage on a 580 with the latest patch, still major texture pop in, still sound issues, but vsynch was better. Pathetic for a "big title"
post #157 of 168 Old 10-13-2011, 04:09 AM

Liked: 11
Hi

I have installed (all 21 GB of) Rage, but it crashes after the intro in space

It fills me with... with... rage

Now what?

Windows 7 32-bit
AMD Dual Core processor
ATI 5850

Thanks

Jakob
post #158 of 168 Old 10-13-2011, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
You MUST have the latest ATI drivers, you can update directly through Steam.

Buncha savages in this town....

Sam Posten
post #159 of 168 Old 10-20-2011, 05:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
OMG, this will go down as one of the worst endings in gaming history... WOW.

Jason
post #160 of 168 Old 10-21-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

OMG, this will go down as one of the worst endings in gaming history... WOW.

Jason

I haven't got there yet but that seems to be the consensus from everyone that's finished Rage. Oh well, as long as it was a good ride along the way, I think its too late now to ask for perfection given the problems this game as had. Chalk it up to another consumption of a few hours time and move on to the next game.

There's so many great games this year, its hard to find time to play them all. I can't recall a year in almost the last decade or so that we've had this many high profile releases. It really is a great year for gaming.
post #161 of 168 Old 10-21-2011, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Yeah the game can be fun at times and I did spend about 15 hours getting through it so not a short SP game like most of the bigger games have been with their 6 hour campaigns. It's just a very ambitious game that could have been so much more and you get the feeling they intended more but just didn't get to it (especially the ending).

All in all though it made the wait/anticipation for Uncharted 3 a little easier since I spent a couple weeks with it.

Jason
post #162 of 168 Old 10-21-2011, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I applaud Id for releasing it. I admonish Id for releasing it in the state that it was on the PC, even after patching, those textures are just crap and nothing is interactive.

But...its an ID game...and Id games are never interactive. The texture issue however, well, one has to wonder how John Carmack of all people could have fired it up on his gigantovision monitor and not going "ewww, this looks like ballz".

Its still a shooter, and a reasonable (if predictible) one....and its got some pretty parts (as long as you sit far back and focus on the stuff 200 miles away and dont get close to anything) and I'm sure if you're playing it on a Console its not bad.

But on a Console you've got MW3 and BF3 coming out and frankly, releasing a shooter that isn't one of those two games is equal to financial stupidity.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #163 of 168 Old 10-27-2011, 11:24 AM

Liked: 11
Mad Bash TV
Why can't you save after the minute or so of talking at the start?
It drives me crazy having to sit through it every time
post #164 of 168 Old 10-27-2011, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post

I haven't got there yet but that seems to be the consensus from everyone that's finished Rage. Oh well, as long as it was a good ride along the way, I think its too late now to ask for perfection given the problems this game as had. Chalk it up to another consumption of a few hours time and move on to the next game.

There's so many great games this year, its hard to find time to play them all. I can't recall a year in almost the last decade or so that we've had this many high profile releases. It really is a great year for gaming.

2004 had its share of big titles. Doom3, Farcry and Half Life 2 to name the big three.
post #165 of 168 Old 11-10-2011, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I finished the single player last night. All in all it took about 15 hours or so. I enjoyed it for the most part. It was fun and some of the firefights were great. I would rate it 8 out of 10. As some of you may know, I have 580 Tri Sli and Rage only used one of the cards. I never experienced a single crash during the entire time I played. I used a custom autoexec file that I found on the stean forums and it work great for me. I think most of the issues are with ATI cards. I stopped selling them years ago because of the driver issues I was experiencing when installing in client gaming rigs.

Do most gamers on here prefer ATI or Nvidia and why? For me it is Nvidia all the way. The main reason is great driver support and SLI works with every game I have played except Rage.
post #166 of 168 Old 11-10-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post

Do most gamers on here prefer ATI or Nvidia and why? For me it is Nvidia all the way. The main reason is great driver support and SLI works with every game I have played except Rage.

I prefer nVidia.

I happen to have an AMD card in my HTPC computer because nVidia was slacking, at the time, for being able to Bit Stream HD audio. Now that nVidia cards bit stream, I'll probably switch that box over to nVidia eventually. I have to be kind of careful with new games as the last several revs of the AMD drivers have issues with blu ray/bit streaming. So, I think I'm 4 or 5 revs behind. I hope that doesn't mess me up for Skyrim, but I can always revert to older drivers to watch movies.
post #167 of 168 Old 11-10-2011, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post

Even tho I am currently using three 5870s Xfire, when Nvidia come out with the next gen, green team again for me. I had issues with the 48xx series and not completely satisfied with the 58xx series and def didn't want to waste money on 69xx and 68xx series cards. Driver support is so much more polished with Nvidia over AMD/ATi in almost every situation. Not only that but hardware failure are more common with all the ATi cards that I used (eg: three original cooler 5870s died after about 2-3 months), where very few if any have occurred with my Nvidia setups after Nvidia went to the hundred series cards (2xx, 4xx and 5xx) even their 9XXX were OK..

You do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.
post #168 of 168 Old 11-10-2011, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Im a whatever-looks-the-best-on-Tomshardware-video-charts man. I chose Nvidia this time due to extremely good idle power consumption figures as well as price/performance. If it had been ATI, i could have gone that way to, since it supports 3D as well.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page