Rage - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 168 Old 08-13-2009, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 57
A new trailer for Rage was shown at QuakeCon 2009 (see here; a 720p version is available for download here). It appears to be coming along very nicely.

I figured this game deserved a thread at this point, because Willits, Carmack and crew will surely make it yet another game worth playing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 168 Old 08-13-2009, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks like a blend between Twisted Metal, Stalker, and maybe a hint of Bioshock (did i see a Big Daddy at 1:18???)

"MYTH: Three Americans every year die from rabies.
FACT: Four Americans every year die from rabies."
post #3 of 168 Old 08-13-2009, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
Fallout with dune buggies...looks intresting tho.

You do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.
post #4 of 168 Old 08-13-2009, 09:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
BTW: Borderlands will have vehicles and most likely beat this to market by well over a year.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #5 of 168 Old 08-15-2009, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Fallout 3 = ZzzzZzzzzzzz

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #6 of 168 Old 08-15-2009, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

Fallout 3 = ZzzzZzzzzzzz

Says you. It was only one of (if not the best) selling PC games last year, and voted Game of the Year by many outlets. I really enjoyed it, and there are tons of great PC mods for it.

post #7 of 168 Old 08-15-2009, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

Says you. It was only one of (if not the best) selling PC games last year, and voted Game of the Year by many outlets. I really enjoyed it, and there are tons of great PC mods for it.

Ya says me, that's why I wrote it. It's cool if you like a dull game, don't worry I won't judge you

post #8 of 168 Old 08-15-2009, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

Ya says me, that's why I wrote it. It's cool if you like a dull game, don't worry I won't judge you

I got the action mod, takes the dull completely away.
post #9 of 168 Old 08-15-2009, 08:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Try not to turn this into a Fallout 3 thread, but if you have a good enough system, install the high def texture pack- it makes a huge difference.

post #10 of 168 Old 08-15-2009, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm just buggin you dave lol. The action mod does make the game much better, your 100% right Horrorscope.

Back on topic, Rage looks to be pretty sweet! It looks more or less what I thought fallout 3 was going to be.

post #11 of 168 Old 08-28-2009, 11:54 AM

Liked: 12
This will be stellar.

IIRC, this game started out as a test environment for iD to demo their new engine (with extra efficient code architecture and ray-tracing on modern hardware.. and this was over a year ago!). I even see they kept a few scenes from the first videos I saw over a year ago. Its one of the first engines being written from the ground up with multiple platforms as the target. It's being built to work on both major consoles and PC, and I think a lot of great games are going to come from this Tech 5 engine.

Looks effing intense, cant wait! HL2 + Fallout3 + BioShock + Quake4\\Doom3 + the unknown innovations and new stuff they've come up with on their own? Real-time ray-tracing and\\or innovative rasterization on moder hardware from a year ago? New iD engine built from the ground up from some of the forefathers of modern FPS? Yes plz.

You can see John talk about the engine a year ago, here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnBPqrhY3hw

http://www.shackvideo.com/?id=10929

http://kotaku.com/268081/carmacks-id-tech-5-demo

Very impressive.. I can only imagine the level of scope detail games on this engine will be able to acheive. Hopefully RAGE will be a good initial inidcator of this and other facets ofit.
post #12 of 168 Old 04-18-2011, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

New gameplay video. I'm not sure what it's running on. It certainly looks like a console.

post #13 of 168 Old 04-18-2011, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
Cute...

You do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.
post #14 of 168 Old 04-18-2011, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

New gameplay video. I'm not sure what it's running on. It certainly looks like a console.

Seemed like a console demo to me. The characters speed was changing a lot as is if a control pad was being used to vary the speed. Keyboard speeds are pretty much run, walk, or crawl. Looked like a lot of aim-assist was going on there too...

Pretty cool though.
post #15 of 168 Old 04-18-2011, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Definitely a console. ID sold out PC gamers like all the rest when they were purchased in 2009. Truely a dark day in PC gaming when the company that started it all is testing/developing an FPS on the "Ghetto" Xbox 360.

This is a great read if you are at all interested in the history of ID when they were pushing the envelope, PC gaming ruled supreme and console gamer kiddies were playing catch up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masters_of_Doom
post #16 of 168 Old 04-19-2011, 02:42 AM

Liked: 93
That's a great book, that judging by the content of your post you didn't bother to actually read.
post #17 of 168 Old 04-19-2011, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post

ID sold out PC gamers like all the rest when they were purchased in 2009. Truely a dark day in PC gaming when the company that started it all is testing/developing an FPS on the "Ghetto" Xbox 360.

That deal got them more resources to make more of the games we like. We'll see how it looks on a high-end PC when September comes around, but the engine apparently scales well and early images/videos indicate that this may very well be a beautiful looking game at maximum settings. Rage won't be the revolution that Doom 3 was in the tech department, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is a much more enjoyable game that will still look quite good.

From what has been said, it sounds as if Doom 4 will be worthy as a tech demo on PC and appeal to those who enjoy the style of the original Doom games.
post #18 of 168 Old 04-19-2011, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

That's a great book, that judging by the content of your post you didn't bother to actually read.

You're a funny little man. I would love to buy you lunch someday and discuss this with you in person.
post #19 of 168 Old 04-19-2011, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That deal got them more resources to make more of the games we like. We'll see how it looks on a high-end PC when September comes around, but the engine apparently scales well and early images/videos indicate that this may very well be a beautiful looking game at maximum settings. Rage won't be the revolution that Doom 3 was in the tech department, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is a much more enjoyable game that will still look quite good.

From what has been said, it sounds as if Doom 4 will be worthy as a tech demo on PC and appeal to those who enjoy the style of the original Doom games.

ID did not need resources. They were fine as an independent developer. Any time multi-platform development is involved, high end PC gamers get the shaft due the lack of power of the consoles. PC gaming is dying, but if I had my way, consoles would go away and this would force gamers back to the PC and the world would be a better place.
post #20 of 168 Old 04-19-2011, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

PC gaming is dying, but if I had my way, consoles would go away and this would force gamers back to the PC and the world would be a better place.

You'll get no argument from me there.

The way I see things is that there isn't much room for graphical innovation prior to the utilization of ray tracing, but current high-end consumer PC technology cannot handle it. Thus, I tend to give the current state of PC game development a bit of a pass.

The developers of Battlefield 3 like to brag about using PC as a primary platform, and while that's good for larger multiplayer maps and more players, I doubt it will mean much from a graphical perspective.

Right now many PC gaming enthusiasts are interested in using their raw GPU power for running multiple high-resolution displays.
post #21 of 168 Old 04-19-2011, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You'll get no argument from me there.

The way I see things is that there isn't much room for graphical innovation prior to the utilization of ray tracing, but current high-end consumer PC technology cannot handle it. Thus, I tend to give the current state of PC game development a bit of a pass.

The developers of Battlefield 3 like to brag about using PC as a primary platform, and while that's good for larger multiplayer maps and more players, I doubt it will mean much from a graphical perspective.

Right now many PC gaming enthusiasts are interested in using their raw GPU power for running multiple high-resolution displays.

I guess I have been gaming too long on the PC to accept change. I remember when games forced you to upgrade just to run them. It was a great era of gaming when each game pushed the limits of the hardware of the time. Hardware developers would consult with ID to see what features they would like in the next gen chipset. Gaming now is stagnant due the finite resources of the consoles and PC gaming has taken a step backward because of it. Take a look at Fear 2 and Crysis 2 as examples.

And what is with all the cut scenes? IMO it breaks to flow of action. :-)
post #22 of 168 Old 04-19-2011, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess I have been gaming too long on the PC to accept change. I remember when games forced you to upgrade just to run them. It was a great era of gaming when each game pushed the limits of the hardware of the time.

It was? I personally hated having to buy new hardware to play each game. I'm much happier only having to upgrade every two to three years. Besides I think the biggest problem right now is the success of graphical enhancement over the past ten years; you can't get too much more realistic than games now. What separates the good games from the tossers is the fun-to-play factor. They all look the same on the box art.
post #23 of 168 Old 04-19-2011, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

blackssr I am with you on the PC stuff. If you had the money, it was a great time for gaming back when software pushed the limits of PC hardware. But like you said, those days are gone, brother. Money is what makes the world go round, and the console masses are where its at due solely because they are just that, masses. Now I will say this - My hope is that the next generation consoles will incorporate 2 things: 1080P resolution gaming (which definitely will be the standard on the next gen consoles), and, I pray, the incorporation of a mouse and keyboard interface. Then, I can say, I just might do some serious console gaming. I think if the next gen consoles did this, then it would really get a lot of the PC guys like me more into the consoles. I am not totally anti-console. Hell, I currently own a PS3 and Xbox 360. Back in the day, I owned a poop load of consoles. Panasonic 3DO, Atari Jaguar, Sega Genesis and 32X, Nes, Super Nes, Gamecube, Dreamcast, original Xbox, all of the Playstations (including the slim), blah blah blah. I have also been an avid PC gamer. My first PC that I bought as an adult was an AlienWare back in 1999. That bitch had the original Scan Live Interleave (SLI) setup alah 3DFX. Paid almost $4000 for it, and that included a 22 inch Viewsonic CRT which was $1200 of that cost. Even though the console masses have slowed the tech development of PC gaming, you still can't get me away from PC gaming. And that is mostly because the games I love to play are the ones that use a proper mouse and keyboard and I like the 1080P res. Nothing a HTPC gaming rig and 60" 1080P plasma can't solve.
post #24 of 168 Old 04-20-2011, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwing View Post

blackssr I am with you on the PC stuff. If you had the money, it was a great time for gaming back when software pushed the limits of PC hardware. But like you said, those days are gone, brother. Money is what makes the world go round, and the console masses are where its at due solely because they are just that, masses. Now I will say this - My hope is that the next generation consoles will incorporate 2 things: 1080P resolution gaming (which definitely will be the standard on the next gen consoles), and, I pray, the incorporation of a mouse and keyboard interface. Then, I can say, I just might do some serious console gaming. I think if the next gen consoles did this, then it would really get a lot of the PC guys like me more into the consoles. I am not totally anti-console. Hell, I currently own a PS3 and Xbox 360. Back in the day, I owned a poop load of consoles. Panasonic 3DO, Atari Jaguar, Sega Genesis and 32X, Nes, Super Nes, Gamecube, Dreamcast, original Xbox, all of the Playstations (including the slim), blah blah blah. I have also been an avid PC gamer. My first PC that I bought as an adult was an AlienWare back in 1999. That bitch had the original Scan Live Interleave (SLI) setup alah 3DFX. Paid almost $4000 for it, and that included a 22 inch Viewsonic CRT which was $1200 of that cost. Even though the console masses have slowed the tech development of PC gaming, you still can't get me away from PC gaming. And that is mostly because the games I love to play are the ones that use a proper mouse and keyboard and I like the 1080P res. Nothing a HTPC gaming rig and 60" 1080P plasma can't solve.

I agree.. I could live with the next gen consoles if they would allow native keyboard/mouse control. (My Denon 5308CI scales/deinterlaces to 1080P) It would be acceptable as a FPS platform. Gamepads just do not control/feel the same on FPSs.
I do use this now and then for PS3 exclusives and it works really well.

http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Mouse-Ke...3313650&sr=8-1

I played Resistance 1/2 and Killzone 2/3 as well as Dead Space 1/2 on the PS3. (I enjoyed/completed all six games on hard with the Eagle Eye. I couldn't get past the first level with the gamepad.)
My first choice/love will always be the PC but I must "go with the flow" if I am going to game at all, I just wish things were slightly different.
post #25 of 168 Old 05-06-2011, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

New video:

post #26 of 168 Old 05-07-2011, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't know, this just isn't doing anything for me. It all looks like stuff I've done before. The driving portion looks terrible, the vehicle is floaty and turning on a center axis.
post #27 of 168 Old 05-07-2011, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I love that door opening in the second video @4:33, that looked very real and sophisticated. I'll be seeing that in 3d I hope. I hope the artist who did the machinery in Doom 3 is working on this too. A.i. acts very generic.

Those environments are just too beautiful to drive quickly through, especially now that im gaming in 3D. I don't think i'll be driving much...

It definitely looked like a console controller was what was used. I wrote an idea to logitech on their forums about making the ESDF keys (which i use for forward,back,L,R) into progressivly pressed keyes, for lack of better words, with potentiometers in them. Could have a lot of benefits, especially for driving games, but would also build in some acceleration to movement and make the transition to walk/run less off/on 'ish.

FWIW:
http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Keyboa...t/false#M23107
post #28 of 168 Old 05-07-2011, 02:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I am looking forward to RAGE but it's looking more and more like Borderlands.

Jason
post #29 of 168 Old 05-07-2011, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Well they pressed "E" to grab you think they just didn't relabel it like "X" or something? Movement though does seem to be slow so it could be a controller. I just hope PC gamers aren't shafted on this game. I'd hate to go through another Crysis 2.
post #30 of 168 Old 05-07-2011, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Looks pretty cool to me. Does kind of remind me of Borderlands, but a little better graphically. Like tory40 was sayin', that door opening sequence was sweet. I love the little things like that in video games.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page