Modern Warfare 2 (PC) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 95 Old 09-02-2009, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
http://www.giantbomb.com/modern-warfare-2/61-24713/

Check out the latest video, posted Sep 1!

I think this is my most anticipated release (with Assassin's Creed 2 for the PS3), I literally cannot wait. The first one was spectacular albeit short, and had superb MP (when not spoiled by annoying kids like everything these days).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 95 Old 09-02-2009, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

http://www.giantbomb.com/modern-warfare-2/61-24713/

Check out the latest video, posted Sep 1!

I think this is my most anticipated release (with Assassin's Creed 2 for the PS3), I literally cannot wait. The first one was spectacular albeit short, and had superb MP (when not spoiled by annoying kids like everything these days).

MP in the 1st one was great when you played on the hardcore servers. Kiddies get frustrated when they get whacked with one shot. I been accused of being a cheat many times, but the server I played on has an admin on a lot of the time and he told them to STFU, and if they suck don't accuse some else of cheating...and he told them Tinker does not cheat.... That was an ego booster when the admin backs you up. But unfortunately there was a hacker that came on and he promoted his hack site. He shot thru wall/bulkheads on the ship map all the time an bragged about how we all suck and shld be using his hacks. He disappears when the admin gets on tho, not sure how he knew when the admin was on.

I can not wait till MW2 comes out along with Op Flashpoint: Dragon Rising. My gaming rig been sitting idle for a while now.

You do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.
post #3 of 95 Old 09-02-2009, 01:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
Only thing that bugs me about gameplay videos these days is that you can almost 100% guarantee those are off the 360 version.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #4 of 95 Old 09-09-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

Only thing that bugs me about gameplay videos these days is that you can almost 100% guarantee those are off the 360 version.

good guess
http://img29.imageshack.us/i/codforxbox.png/
post #5 of 95 Old 09-12-2009, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I gotta be honest, I can't see in this day and age how anyone could be excited about multiplayer FPS's if they've been playing them for any length of time online. I have been playing online FPS's since the days of SKYNET and Duke Nukem 3D......the only game I ever REALLY got into online was Day of Defeat, the WW2 mod for Half Life...back before it was a commercial product, mind you. Since then its been largely downhill for me, with a few exceptions. In Fact...i cant BELIEVE that they haven't made updated versions of Shadow Warrior or Duke 3D for online play..the jetpack alone is woefully missing from games

Today, Multiplayer FPS's feel within about 30 seconds like every other FPS I've ever played for the past 15 years or so online. Snipers camp, assault guys rush in, and its all about the RESPAWN..KILL..DIE...RESPAWN. Ugh. **** happens so fast that Modern combat feels like UT3....just with different weapons. FAST, FAST, FAST...thats the name of the online game.

The graphics are better but its still the same old formulas to me. You learn the maps and blam, exploit them along with the weapons. It gets old so fast for me now, which is disappointing.

In your mind you envision these great movie battles (like you get in the single player campaigns)....but the reality of multiplayer battles are that they are always free-for-alls where luck, your ping time, and how caffeinated your trigger finger is all seem to play equal roles.

The last game I enjoyed multiplayer was, oddly enough, Battlefied 2...because it actually did "feel" a little different than your standard run and gun shooter...but mostly just because of its scale, AND it had vehicles...which were actually mostly useless unless you could master them....survivability in a vehicle was never assured with enemy assets constantly re-spawning. It didn't take very long for the people to learn how to exploit the jets, the helicopters, and so on and so on...

But its an example of just how silly these games can become: You'd get into a jeep, a jeep BRIMMING with automatic weapons...but they were so innaccurate you'd be lucky to be able to hit anyone with them unless you stood absolutely still, and if you did that, you'd be dead in 2 seconds. If you drove around in the jeep you were like 10 times likely to die as you were on foot, because vehicles were just 1 or 2 rockets away from destruction and sure enough everyone always seemed to have plenty of rockets. That part was kind of a drag..........multiplayer games always wound up being tit-for-tat.

Oh someone has a tank, spawn as a rocket guy to take out the tank, then spawn after as assault to run to the next capture point untilt he next tank spawns....repeat ad nauseum.

In fact my greatest, and I mean greatest fun in BF2 was flying Transport Helicopters and trying to do it well enough to let my side-door gunners...so basically I was a bus driver. That was my fun

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #6 of 95 Old 09-12-2009, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 256
I agree BF@ was the best FPS. I had 600 hours into that game. Flying the chopper/Gunner was my bread and butter. Soooooooo much fun. I understand where headrush is comming from but to me it all about friends, teamwork and domination. BF2 was a hard game to get first place in on a constant basis. Too much fun stuff to do. COD4 and 5 however are pretty easy and thus get boring quicker that a bf2 type of game.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #7 of 95 Old 09-12-2009, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
Played a lot of BF2 and CoD4 MP. I like CoD4 better because it had the hardcore mode. That made the game more interesting where you can actually kill somebody with one shot and not needing only a headshot. BF2 was fun except for the ridiculous damage system. Common, a 50cal sniper hit does not kill???? (except when you shot the helo crew) I know the developers wanted to avoid the one shot one kill (but still got many with headshots ). There are other ways to make it hard for campers like me. Things like shake, some semi realistic ballistics (such as bullet drop, wind would be too hard for MP) would even the odds out. Hated the helo's in BF2, maybe I was never good at them , but the vehicle whoring was the worst and I done my share for Tanks and mobile AA. All us whores standing around waiting for vehicle to spawn, the helo or airplane was the worst, got real old fast.

ADD: a thing I liked better with BF2 is the servers and stats retention. I stop playing CoD4 MP when I lost all my stats after I had a HDD crash. I just did not want to invest all those hours to get back to the top and get all my weapons back. Also from what I understood it was easy for cheats to hack the CoD4 stats since they were kept local.

post #8 of 95 Old 09-13-2009, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Yeah I didn't mean to be the DARK CLOUD on the thread here I'm glad people are excited, but to me Online isn't really a draw anymore, its just too familiar.

And I agree, BF2 wasn't perfect. Nothing like having a SAW and laying down suppressive fire from a prone position on targets running at you.....and not hitting a damn one of them or hitting them but not doing any kind of actual damage. Uh-Huh.

Meanwhile, one of them goes prone for 1/2 a second, hits you in the face with their scoped weapon....and then is up and charging at you again when you're dead. Hmmmm, imbalance?

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #9 of 95 Old 09-13-2009, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Although it is the game's biggest draw for most, I will probably not even touch the multiplayer modes.

Consequently, the high MSRP might be hard for me to justify for just a presumably short single-player campaign.
post #10 of 95 Old 09-13-2009, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Seems like a trend on pricing. PC games use to be $10 cheaper but now the pub's are listing some the same as the console ver...CoD: MW2 and Need For Speed : Shift are two examples. Also the PC vers are delayed in many case from one to two weeks.

post #11 of 95 Old 09-13-2009, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 256
I agree with tinker on the hardcore modes. to be honest, I've never even played the default mode on COD4 or 5. It's hardcore, or I don't play. It's too bad BF2 didn't have something like that.
One thing that was also fun in Bf2 was taking a tunguska, having someone on your team fly the other plane/chopper near you, getting them to chase and you blasting the crap out of them!

ahhhh good times

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #12 of 95 Old 09-18-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

I gotta be honest, I can't see in this day and age how anyone could be excited about multiplayer FPS's if they've been playing them for any length of time online. I have been playing online FPS's since the days of SKYNET and Duke Nukem 3D......the only game I ever REALLY got into online was Day of Defeat, the WW2 mod for Half Life...back before it was a commercial product, mind you. Since then its been largely downhill for me, with a few exceptions. In Fact...i cant BELIEVE that they haven't made updated versions of Shadow Warrior or Duke 3D for online play..the jetpack alone is woefully missing from games

FPS have just gotten this way... only minor changes need to be implemented it seems, because they sell anyway. I played Duke Nuken 3d, doom, original quake, etc. and it seems like innovation just stpped at a certain point.

Quote:

Today, Multiplayer FPS's feel within about 30 seconds like every other FPS I've ever played for the past 15 years or so online. Snipers camp, assault guys rush in, and its all about the RESPAWN..KILL..DIE...RESPAWN. Ugh. **** happens so fast that Modern combat feels like UT3....just with different weapons. FAST, FAST, FAST...thats the name of the online game.

blah, true.
Quote:

The graphics are better but its still the same old formulas to me. You learn the maps and blam, exploit them along with the weapons. It gets old so fast for me now, which is disappointing.

the graphics are the only thing that changes!

Hopefully one day they will come out with something new. Until that day, FPS are not on my list.

just another restaurant city addict
post #13 of 95 Old 10-04-2009, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

There is a new trailer named "Infamy."
post #14 of 95 Old 10-05-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:

Electronic Theatre has an updated Activision Blizzard Release Schedule that indicates the PC edition of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 will be delayed for the PC platform. November 10 is still listed as the release date for the console editions, but the Windows edition of the military combat sequel has been pushed back two weeks according to this schedule, which lists PC Modern Warfare 2 for a November 24 release.

post #15 of 95 Old 10-05-2009, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Consequently, the high MSRP might be hard for me to justify for just a presumably short single-player campaign.

The PC version is damn cheap to order at certain retailer s- i.e. just short of 50% less than the console versions.

International HDDVD Screenshot Archive (Full 1080p Images): www.hdmovies.co.nz
post #16 of 95 Old 10-05-2009, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooki View Post

The PC version is damn cheap to order at certain retailer s- i.e. just short of 50% less than the console versions.

Could you share which retailers are offering such a good price? Are you referring to Wal-Mart's $50 + $10 gift card deal?
post #17 of 95 Old 10-05-2009, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

PC: $38
http://www.cdwow.us/games/PC/CALL-OF.../dp/pc/9838937

PS3: $70
http://www.cdwow.us/games/PS3/CALL-O.../dp/pc/9074319

Not quite half, but close.

International HDDVD Screenshot Archive (Full 1080p Images): www.hdmovies.co.nz
post #18 of 95 Old 10-05-2009, 08:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

CD-Wow can be good on their imports, don't forget to look for coupons as well to bring the price down even more. I would pick this up now but with so many potential A/A+ titles coming out over the next month or so I think I'm going to hold off a bit (Game Informer just gave Dragon Age: Origins a 9/10 for what it's worth).

post #19 of 95 Old 10-06-2009, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaDeuce View Post

This sux's. Its becoming a trend now to delay PC vers of cross platform games. Batman, Dirt2 and now MW2. Well at least I got Op FlashPt: dragon rising coming.

post #20 of 95 Old 10-06-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooki View Post

I see only one problem there. All those retailers get game ... lets say after a while. Last time when COD4/5 were out big retailers had on hands just enough to ship pre-orders.

I pre-ordered MW2. Looks like promising game. I play on PC only so annoying xbox kids not a problem. Hackers and players who killing teammates on hardcore - different story.

Thinking if not pre-ordering but get eventually that one too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnw00nPY5W0&hd=1
post #21 of 95 Old 10-06-2009, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post

This sux's. Its becoming a trend now to delay PC vers of cross platform games. Batman, Dirt2 and now MW2. Well at least I got Op FlashPt: dragon rising coming.

It'll be worth the wait not to have to aim with my thumbs and to be able to play at 1200p (or 1080p) vs. upscaled 600p.

Jim
post #22 of 95 Old 10-06-2009, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ah, thanks. Although their price on Modern Warfare 2 did go up a bit, I didn't know they offered such good deals on PC games.
post #23 of 95 Old 10-06-2009, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

An amusing article can be read here. Yup, gamers have been just craving for more WWII themed FPS games.
post #24 of 95 Old 10-09-2009, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Any purchased from this outfit before? Do they ship the US or "International" version?

Jim
post #25 of 95 Old 10-18-2009, 11:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

No dedicated servers for the PC version. Lame!

post #26 of 95 Old 10-18-2009, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

CD Wow is $48.99 now, PS3 is $59.99 at Amazon.

When an episode of Walker Texas Ranger was aired in France, the French surrendered to Chuck Norris just to be on the safe side.

XBL:MileHighMurder
PSN:SayH1ToYourMom
post #27 of 95 Old 10-19-2009, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

No dedicated servers for the PC version. Lame!

I am not buying the game because of this.

Also:

MW2 gets VAC NOT PunkBuster
IW has control of the game.
IWnet servers will host multiplayer.
DLC will be a charged item for PC.
No dedicated servers.
Semi-capable password servers.
Semi-capable ad-hoc servers.
Competitive play is dead.
MW2 mods would not be possible.
Full integration into Steam.
PC has been turned into console.

They really blew it.
post #28 of 95 Old 10-19-2009, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaDeuce View Post

DLC will be a charged item for PC.
No dedicated servers.
PC has been turned into console.

These are the reasons why they did it. They want total control of the game, just like on the consoles. By denying mods, people are forced to purchase DLC if they want to expand the games play. And also, no mods mean this game won't live as long, thus "encouraging" people to buy the next new game instead of extending the life of an older game.

Quote:

They really blew it.

Not really. This was the perfect game to start this with. Any lost pc sales will be made up with console sales. Replace pc games that people can play for years with console versions that have a yearly turn-over. The next step will be to find a way to get rid of used console game sales.

I won't buy this game for the pc. And if my son wants it for the 360, I'll only buy it used for him. Screw Activision!
post #29 of 95 Old 10-19-2009, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Just lower your expectations to that of a die-hard, console-only gamer and everything will be fine.
post #30 of 95 Old 10-19-2009, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe this will eliminate the hacks/cheats since no mod's...lets hope. Yea seem like PC gamers are getting treated as console gamers by IW.

Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page