PC to HDMI audio input? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-10-2009, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've happened across a nice KDS-R70XBR2. I would like to connect my PC to this. The "PC Input" on the KDS-R70XBR2 is VGA (yuck) and doesn't allow you to operate the TV in 1920x1080 (it's native resolution).

So HDMI it is!

My plan is to run DVI-to-HDMI for video.

For audio, my question is, there are "L" and "R" inputs for HDMI audio (see #7 on page 23 of the manual ( sonystyle.com/wcsstore/SonyStyleStorefrontAssetStore/pdf/KDSR70XBR2.pdf )).

From the back of my PC (using onboard sound) I have these outputs:

Line In
Line Out
Mic In
Front Speaker Out
Rear Speaker Out
Side Speaker Out
Center/Subwoofer

Also available are:

S/PDIF optical out port
S/PDIF coaxial out port

Which option is the best to connect to the HDMI AUDIO IN on the HDTV?

Thank you for your time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-10-2009, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
That's exactly why I went right past the Sonys and over to the Samsungs when I bought my DLP. Sony gives you a 1080p TV that won't take 1080p over component, or VGA.

Back on topic. You could use the "front speaker out" with a cable like this.

3.5mm to RCA cable

post #3 of 5 Old 12-10-2009, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony View Post

That's exactly why I went right past the Sonys and over to the Samsungs when I bought my DLP. Sony gives you a 1080p TV that won't take 1080p over component, or VGA.

Back on topic. You could use the "front speaker out" with a cable like this.

Thanks Tony. That looks like definitely a cable that will work. I'll probably connect it to Line Out (the lime green output) instead of Front Speaker Out, but whatever, can try both.

Back to OFF topic...I have to say, I agree!

But here it is: Why do you WANT an 1080p HDTV that can take a PC over component or VGA? HDMI/DVI is the way to go! If Samsung allows you to connect a PC over HDMI or DVI without all the scary warnings, then it does trump Sony. And it's certainly nice to allow 1080p over VGA or component.

But why ever use that in the end when you have HDMI?

Isn't HDMI/DVI > component > VGA?
post #4 of 5 Old 12-10-2009, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapados View Post

Thanks Tony. That looks like definitely a cable that will work. I'll probably connect it to Line Out (the lime green output) instead of Front Speaker Out, but whatever, can try both.

Back to OFF topic...I have to say, I agree!

But here it is: Why do you WANT an 1080p HDTV that can take a PC over component or VGA? HDMI/DVI is the way to go! If Samsung allows you to connect a PC over HDMI or DVI without all the scary warnings, then it does trump Sony. And it's certainly nice to allow 1080p over VGA or component.

But why ever use that in the end when you have HDMI?

Isn't HDMI/DVI > component > VGA?

You would certainly think so. my own personal experience with using an HDTV for a PC monitor is that I prefer VGA, it just plain look better to me. I may be the only guy still running SLI and using the VGA adapter

Also, being able to hook up a 360 to the VGA, or the component and get 1080p is a big plus. Its all about flexibility, I want all my HD inputs to accept the highest resolution that the TV is capable of.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-11-2009, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
It depends on your video card, but it's very possible you could connect your video card internally to a digital output on your motherboard or sound card to send sound via HDMI.

I have an Nvidia GTX 285 and it has an internal input right on the card for a 5.1 line ... which I connected to the motherboard's internal SPDIF audio output. Everything's sent to the TV in one simple cable.

The strange thing is ... the GTX 285 has no HDMI port, just dual DVI. And DVI isn't supposed to send audio. But the DVI->HDMI adaptor that shipped with the card actually passes audio through as well.

Might be worth investigating if you have a newer PC if it's capable of mixing the digital audio in with the HDMI cable for a nice and simple solution. My PC is in another room and so I just use a bluetooth keyboard/mouse and a 50ft slim HDMI cable from Monoprice to my Panasonic 58V10 plasma. Works like a charm.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page