ATI 5870 Lockup and GSOD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-28-2010, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is getting a little frustrating. I thght ATI fixed the lockup/GreySOD probms with Cat 10.2. I guess not. Here is an ATI certified game S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat with an ATI 5870 and see the results. It plays fine on my Nvidia systems. I am on my 2nd 5870 with the same issues, and I have a 3rd still in its box for Xfire. Sent a support to Sapphire and will see what they reply with. Also a support submit to ATI. This happens occasionally with Youtube HD vids also. Corruption then lockup and sometimes BSOD follows.

You do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-28-2010, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Is this GSOD known to only be an issue with a particular OS?

Knowing your desire for the newest gear, you will likely shell out the big bucks for the upcoming Fermi cards anyway. Pricey, but you do get solid driver support.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-28-2010, 01:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Does ATI have users forums? I don't know. The one good thing about nvidia is that they have forums on their website.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-28-2010, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I did a quick search on this issue and I see some people had success after under-clocking the memory and core speeds. Not ideal, but you may want to give that a shot.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-28-2010, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

I did a quick search on this issue and I see some people had success after under-clocking the memory and core speeds. Not ideal, but you may want to give that a shot.

I can give that a try later after the gold med hockey game. But still not a solution since the card shld work at its default settings. If it was not for my Eyefinity investment I whld dump the ATI cards.

ADD: tried that and no go. Now the game wil not even launch from STEAM, shows up in processes but no image.

post #6 of 7 Old 03-01-2010, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well got some support responses from Sapphire and AMD. I sent a link show the image corruption to Sapphire. AMD wants me to DL a bunch of diag apps and run them and send reports. Maybe I am just stubborn, no way am I going to run all those apps . As far as I am concern, I have probms with the ATI 5870, replace the card with Nvidia 295 probms go away . I will see what Cat 10.3 will do, it it does not solve the probms then I am going to RMA all the cards back and request a money refund .

post #7 of 7 Old 03-05-2010, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

There is an unstable overclock somewhere in your system. Nothing to do with the card. All GSOD and screen corruptions with the 58xx series are related to unstable overclock of RAM/CPU/GPU. It's simply more ''touchy'' then your NVidia card, and reacting badly to something unstable in your system. Just recheck all your OC settings, voltages, etc. Check your RAM for errors, Furmark, Prime for more then 8 hours...

I'm playing Stalker CoP since the first day it came out, in Tri-Crossfire (5970+5870) and didn't had a single crash, GSOD, freeze or bug.

I didn't got a single crash, freeze, bug or GSOD in the last 2 months in Tri-Crosffire, and I've played over 8 different games to the end till then (Steam holiday sale). Stalker SoC with Complete Mod, Stalker Clear Sky, Stalker CoP, Jade Empire, King Bounty Armored Princess, Universe at War, Dragon Age Origin and Mass Effect 2.

Not a single crash or freeze. 5970 OCed to 5870 level, i7 920 at 4.0. Rock stable.
Reply HTPC Gaming