The Steam Thread - Page 103 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 413Likes

post #3061 of 3183 Old 04-26-2016, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
Monitor should get here on Thursday. Hoping I get it and install it before I leave to work. That way the wife may not recognize it right away and I can sleep in the bed one more night

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Ahh the old "Let the new stuff blend in with the old stuff" maneuver. It's pretty effective for the most part.

AT HAMMOND ROBOTICS WE'RE BRINGING THE FUTURE ... HOME
PROTOCOL 3: PROTECT THE PILOT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3062 of 3183 Old 04-26-2016, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership View Post
Ahh the old "Let the new stuff blend in with the old stuff" maneuver. It's pretty effective for the most part.
My wife is too smart not to notice an additional 11"of monitor sitting on the desk. 23 to 34 is too Damn big of a jump to hide. I'm sure the kids will point out to her as well.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #3063 of 3183 Old 04-26-2016, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My wife is too smart not to notice an additional 11"of monitor sitting on the desk. 23 to 34 is too Damn big of a jump to hide. I'm sure the kids will point out to her as well.

LOL , I was going to say it doesn't quite work when the both of you have been staring at a 27" tube and next day there's a 80" flatscreen. Can't quite say "What this? It's been here all the time".
Arutha_conDoin likes this.

post #3064 of 3183 Old 04-26-2016, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1927 Post(s)
Liked: 2042
Quote:
Monitor should get here on Thursday. Hoping I get it and install it before I leave to work. That way the wife may not recognize it right away and I can sleep in the bed one more night

I find that if you don't ask they can't say no. On the other hand, I find the recliner quite comfy.

Sent from my HTC One_M8
post #3065 of 3183 Old 04-26-2016, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 351
What the heck is valve doing here? I still don't even understand how the idea really works...and I thought the whole thing had gone bust! Maybe its tied in with Vive...and is the kind of virtual currency that will be used in future Vive/Steamworld games...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/...F&ocid=UP97DHP

"Another reason for the recent uptick in bitcoin price could be the upcoming halving of rewards for miners. Bitcoins are mined by solving increasingly complex mathematical equations. Currently the miners get 25 bitcoins per block, but that number will halvesometime in July to 12.5 bitcoins per block. This is part of the way bitcoin was created by the anonymous Satoshi Nakamoto to make it ever harder to mine bitcoins.

The rise in bitcoin's price could also have something to do with the recent reports that game developer Valve is about to introduce bitcoin as a payment option on its Steam game distribution network — which has 125 million users. The reports suggest Valve will work with bitcoin payment processor BitPay to facilitate the system."
post #3066 of 3183 Old 04-26-2016, 03:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post
What the heck is valve doing here? I still don't even understand how the idea really works...and I thought the whole thing had gone bust! Maybe its tied in with Vive...and is the kind of virtual currency that will be used in future Vive/Steamworld games...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/...F&ocid=UP97DHP

"Another reason for the recent uptick in bitcoin price could be the upcoming halving of rewards for miners. Bitcoins are mined by solving increasingly complex mathematical equations. Currently the miners get 25 bitcoins per block, but that number will halvesometime in July to 12.5 bitcoins per block. This is part of the way bitcoin was created by the anonymous Satoshi Nakamoto to make it ever harder to mine bitcoins.

The rise in bitcoin's price could also have something to do with the recent reports that game developer Valve is about to introduce bitcoin as a payment option on its Steam game distribution network — which has 125 million users. The reports suggest Valve will work with bitcoin payment processor BitPay to facilitate the system."

Is Bitcoin still controversial? Lots of places accept it now.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #3067 of 3183 Old 04-26-2016, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
Is Bitcoin still controversial? Lots of places accept it now.
I sure thought it was. I completely dropped interest in it after that top exec died in Europe under sketchy circumstances and the market cratered. I thought it was over and lost interest in it. You may very well be right though. Even though I still have no idea how it works. Sepecially in a normal retail transaction like Steam.
post #3068 of 3183 Old 04-26-2016, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

lol. You think you have problems? My wife's been out of town for a while taking care of her parents and I impulse bought a 2008 650i.

I still haven't told her. I could be dead.

If I stop posting here altogether in the next few weeks that's probably why.
post #3069 of 3183 Old 04-26-2016, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy2012 View Post
lol. You think you have problems? My wife's been out of town for a while taking care of her parents and I impulse bought a 2008 650i.

I still haven't told her. I could be dead.

If I stop posting here altogether in the next few weeks that's probably why.
Well I wussed out and broke the news tonight. I got talked too and she got all Martyr on me about how that will be "our" Anniversary (Want to get her a Nikon D7100) gift in June. I'm still sleeping in the bed tonight so I can't be in that much trouble

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #3070 of 3183 Old 04-26-2016, 09:21 PM

Just started SoM.

I think this will do fine. Same type of gameplay as RYSE, same intense beginning (revenge!), same type of melee combat. I just have to get used to the different control scheme. Might take a few hours.

Hell - it even sounds like the same lead voice actor (I loved him in RYSE).
post #3071 of 3183 Old 04-26-2016, 09:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I sure thought it was. I completely dropped interest in it after that top exec died in Europe under sketchy circumstances and the market cratered. I thought it was over and lost interest in it. You may very well be right though. Even though I still have no idea how it works. Sepecially in a normal retail transaction like Steam.
Bitcoin itself is open source, lots of companies are involved in it but no one controls it. You don't really need to know how it works under the hood to use it, you can use an exchange like coinbase to handle all of that and it's not terribly different from paypal at that level. Basically you have an account, that account has bitcoin in it. When you want to buy a game, steam will check the exchange rate, tell you to pay X bitcoin to Y address, then you just go to coinbase and do it, and once it's received you're all done.

I still think it's one of the most brilliant ideas ever - basically it's a massive open ledger that anyone in the world can inspect, like a bank that doesnt need bankers. So it can be used as currency because you can debit on one side as you credit the other, and everyone can see it. It's completely trustworthy because it actually doesnt require any trust at all since it's completely transparent. The part where the mining comes in is security. How can you keep a distributed, decentralized system fair and hackproof? By having the system automatically encrypt everything. The mining is a race to brute force open the lock - once someone finds it, transactions can be confirmed and it switches over to encrypting everything with a new, unknown key. The person who wins the race to open the lock gets awarded bitcoins, so there's plenty of motivation for people to do it. Then the race starts again with a new key. Because no one could possibly know the key ahead of time, there's no backdoor for anyone to abuse. Theoretically if someone had control of the majority of mining power they could abuse the system in a limited way, but because it requires SO MUCH computation to break that lock, it's not economically viable for anyone to try. Running 50%+ of the world's bitcoin mining gear would cost millions in hardware and electricity every day.

The reason it got a bad reputation from the start was because it was used to buy drugs online because it's anonymous (like an ip address) and law enforcement didnt understand enough about it to track it at the time. And governments really, really don't like it because they have zero control over it, they can't just print bitcoins like they can print dollars.
barrelbelly likes this.

Last edited by bd2003; 04-26-2016 at 09:33 PM.
post #3072 of 3183 Old 04-26-2016, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
The reason it got a bad reputation from the start was because it was used to buy drugs online because it's anonymous (like an ip address) and law enforcement didnt understand enough about it to track it at the time. And governments really, really don't like it because they have zero control over it, they can't just print bitcoins like they can print dollars.
I haven't tried mining since I felt it costed to much to get something up and running (new GPUs and Power to run the rig), but my question is, is it taxable income? I doubt I would make Thousands on it, but you get a a decent setup and I imagine you can make enough to pay off the machine you built in the first year, or close to it.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #3073 of 3183 Old 04-26-2016, 09:54 PM

Ugh, first hurdle.

SoM has frozen on me twice now. The display freezes but the sound keeps playing, even after I go into task master to end the game. I have to reboot my PC make it stop.

I don't suppose anyone here has an easy fix?
post #3074 of 3183 Old 04-27-2016, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I ended up backing this game (Everspace) on Kickstarter and it got funded. I'm a sucker for space shooters and this one looks to fit the bill very nicely. It seems that after it got funded MS also got them to do a Xbox One version and so it will not be out on the Xbox one as well through Xbox ID program. Here is a great case of Win10 and Xbox One showing the development going through.
https://everspace-game.com/

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #3075 of 3183 Old 04-27-2016, 06:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I haven't tried mining since I felt it costed to much to get something up and running (new GPUs and Power to run the rig), but my question is, is it taxable income? I doubt I would make Thousands on it, but you get a a decent setup and I imagine you can make enough to pay off the machine you built in the first year, or close to it.

I dunno about the tax implications. I guess you can consider mining a side business and deduct the cost of mining from the value of the coins. Problem is you're screwed if the price drops, and a *lot* of people got screwed last year.

GPU mining through a altcoin pool can be slightly profitable, but the price is still nowhere near its peak. It's not really enough to justify buying a purpose built mining rig, but if you're going to have a powerful GPU for gaming there's no reason you can't use it for mining too. I did it throughout the winter because technically the cost of the electricity was offset by the reduction in heating costs, so you can factor it out. In the summer that operates in reverse, since it'll put a greater load on your AC, it def won't be worth it. But with a 980 Ti going full blast you can gross like $2-4 a day, maybe profit $1-2.

post #3076 of 3183 Old 04-27-2016, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well I wussed out and broke the news tonight. I got talked too and she got all Martyr on me about how that will be "our" Anniversary (Want to get her a Nikon D7100) gift in June. I'm still sleeping in the bed tonight so I can't be in that much trouble
Well I know who NOT to invite if I need a getaway driver who can keep quiet after robbing a bank.

post #3077 of 3183 Old 04-28-2016, 02:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership View Post
Well I know who NOT to invite if I need a getaway driver who can keep quiet after robbing a bank.
Oh, I'm fine to drive since we are not stealing from my wife May have to figure out a way to explain the money. Could always go with Aunt Sally dying and getting a inheritance
totalownership likes this.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #3078 of 3183 Old 04-28-2016, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 126
@barrelbelly

Started playing Timeshift. It reminds me of the FEAR series. One thing that is really hard adjusting to for this game is that there is no prone, ADS, or sprinting.

The graphics are nice and the audio is great too.
barrelbelly likes this.

#1 Calibration Disk / Best Support: Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk
#1 Calibration Software / Best Support: LightSpace CMS - Calibration Comparison
post #3079 of 3183 Old 04-28-2016, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Here is a pic of the new monitor. Check out all that extra desktop real estate space! Icons on the right are where they would have been in the edge of my Dell monitor. Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1461906036843.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	1411994

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #3080 of 3183 Old 04-28-2016, 10:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 360
It really accentuates the lamp and plant.

- Jason
Budracin8 likes this.

HT = JVC RS40 / Lumagen Radiance / Vivitek 1186 /@133"/ Samsung 50" Plasma / Denon x5200 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" subs x2 / CV 15" sub / Sony BDP s1000ES / Yamaha DV-S5860 / Toshiba HD-A3 / PureAV PF31
Media Room = Vizio 4K 70" lcd/Denon x4100/Audiosource Amp 100/Klipsch speakers/Velodyne subs/Sony BDP s780/PS4/X1/WiiU/PS3/360/Wii/Game PC/Multi-Arcade My HT SLIDESHOW
post #3081 of 3183 Old 04-28-2016, 11:04 PM

Looks like its at a nice comfortable height.

post #3082 of 3183 Old 04-28-2016, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

@DaGamePimp the plant is actually a beta tank

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #3083 of 3183 Old 04-29-2016, 12:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
@DaGamePimp the plant is actually a beta tank

I was too distracted by the display to notice (that's my story and I'm sticking to it).
- Jason

HT = JVC RS40 / Lumagen Radiance / Vivitek 1186 /@133"/ Samsung 50" Plasma / Denon x5200 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" subs x2 / CV 15" sub / Sony BDP s1000ES / Yamaha DV-S5860 / Toshiba HD-A3 / PureAV PF31
Media Room = Vizio 4K 70" lcd/Denon x4100/Audiosource Amp 100/Klipsch speakers/Velodyne subs/Sony BDP s780/PS4/X1/WiiU/PS3/360/Wii/Game PC/Multi-Arcade My HT SLIDESHOW
post #3084 of 3183 Old 04-29-2016, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok, managed to finally get my X52 HOTAS working and Elite Dangerous looks fantastic with the new Monitor!! Made me feel like I was inside the cockpit with how much more to view there was.
stevew24963 likes this.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #3085 of 3183 Old 04-29-2016, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ok, managed to finally get my X52 HOTAS working and Elite Dangerous looks fantastic with the new Monitor!! Made me feel like I was inside the cockpit with how much more to view there was.
screenshot

post #3086 of 3183 Old 04-29-2016, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

There you go! Screenshot002 is the old monitor view. Not the same view, but gives you a decent view of the cockpit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ed2.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	1413418   Click image for larger version

Name:	ed1.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	1413426   Click image for larger version

Name:	ed3.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	1413434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_0002 (2).jpg
Views:	50
Size:	578.7 KB
ID:	1413474  

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides

Last edited by Arutha_conDoin; 04-29-2016 at 01:53 PM.
post #3087 of 3183 Old 04-29-2016, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

@Arutha_conDoin: Okay...I'm sold! I am now 100% convinced that I want "almost Reality" immersion on a giant monitor, more than VR for the here and now. With a 34"-50" (curved) 4K beast...sitting in my semi enclosed desktop cabinet (jerry rigged/re-purposed former video cabinet)...I can't wait to get one. I put a keyboard/mouse/keypad slider on that cherry wood puppy and it is ready for gaming from 2-4 feet away from a beauty like that one in your pics.

That looks like a ton of fun!
stevew24963 likes this.
post #3088 of 3183 Old 04-29-2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:
@Arutha_conDoin: Okay...I'm sold! I am now 100% convinced that I want "almost Reality" immersion on a giant monitor, more than VR for the here and now. With a 34"-50" (curved) 4K beast...sitting in my semi enclosed desktop cabinet (jerry rigged/re-purposed former video cabinet)...I can't wait to get one. I put a keyboard/mouse/keypad slider on that cherry wood puppy and it is ready for gaming from 2-4 feet away from a beauty like that one in your pics.

That looks like a ton of fun!
Exactly, add to that having DSU / DTS:X in a 7.2.2 or 7.4.2 speaker layout configuration with quality audio components and , VR seems like a toy.

post #3089 of 3183 Old 04-29-2016, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
There you go! Screenshot002 is the old monitor view. Not the same view, but gives you a decent view of the cockpit.
WTF was I thinking asking for screenshots?!?!?! I was perfectly happy with my setup and now I see this. DAMN YOU!!!!
DaverJ and stevew24963 like this.

post #3090 of 3183 Old 04-29-2016, 04:48 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 385
I've only played 2 games so far on my 34inch, one of them doesn't conform to the widescreen, but I love it. I have yet to play GTA V, but when I get home I'll give that a go. Maybe fire up witcher 3 just to see that run. Division is awesome on mine. These extra wides are amazing for immersion.

Dark souls 3 is the one that doesn't conform, so I made my 27inch the main to play that.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HTPC Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page