Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by sync View Post

How about this
http://cutrategamer.com/game/354/sins-of-a-solar-empire-rebellion

$13.58 (58% off) via GamersGate.
activates on steam

Would be nice, but that was last weekend.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SOSER/sins-of-a-solar-empire-rebellion

Comes up at full price!

Thanks, though!
post #1803 of 2282 Old 02-20-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Looks like GamersGate is out of Europe. So I missed the deal by a few hours frown.gif
post #1804 of 2282 Old 02-21-2014, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I know a a lot of you dont like Ghosts. But its on sale this weekend on steam for under 30 bucks if you dont have it already.
post #1805 of 2282 Old 02-25-2014, 06:53 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Zath View Post

Would be nice, but that was last weekend.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SOSER/sins-of-a-solar-empire-rebellion

Comes up at full price!

Thanks, though!

Hi Guys,

I run CutRateGamer.com with my son. One of the reasons we built the site is that we don't like spending our time hunting for great deals on PC games, I want them to come to me.

To that end, I created the "Pay What You Want Tool". Every game that we have cataloged on the site has a "Pay What You Want" section. If you tell us how much you are willing to pay for the game, we will alert you when their is a deal for the game that is at or below your price.

We never sell your email address to anyone. In fact, our current setup simply deletes your email from our database once your subscription is fulfilled.

For Sins of the Solar Empire: Rebellion, you can find it by going to the following link and scrolling down to "Pay What You Want".

Hope this helps. Please let us know if you have questions for feedback.

Mr. Cut-Rate

P.S.

Sins of the Solar Empire: Rebellion is currently on sale for $20 via GamersGate

DaverJ likes this.
post #1806 of 2282 Old 02-25-2014, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutRateGamer View Post

Hi Guys,

I run CutRateGamer.com with my son. One of the reasons we built the site is that we don't like spending our time hunting for great deals on PC games, I want them to come to me.

To that end, I created the "Pay What You Want Tool". Every game that we have cataloged on the site has a "Pay What You Want" section. If you tell us how much you are willing to pay for the game, we will alert you when their is a deal for the game that is at or below your price.

We never sell your email address to anyone. In fact, our current setup simply deletes your email from our database once your subscription is fulfilled.

For Sins of the Solar Empire: Rebellion, you can find it by going to the following link and scrolling down to "Pay What You Want".

Mr. Cut-Rate

P.S.

Well darn, I had created another games deal thread, but people keep using the Steam thread instead for deals not even on Steam.
post #1807 of 2282 Old 02-25-2014, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwing View Post

Well darn, I had created another games deal thread, but people keep using the Steam thread instead for deals not even on Steam.
Tis the evil influence of the dark lord.
post #1808 of 2282 Old 02-25-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Quote:

Sounds like the Netflix Gems and Finds thread...how dare you post a movie only on Amazon!!!eek.gif
post #1809 of 2282 Old 02-25-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutRateGamer View Post

Hi Guys,

Mr. Cut-Rate

P.S.

Thanks! I actually put in $20 with the tool and didn't get an e-mail. I'll have to check spam... Hmm it's there. Cool!
post #1810 of 2282 Old 02-25-2014, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Quote:

lol the influence of the dork lord
post #1811 of 2282 Old 02-26-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 166
State of Decay is 50% off for midweek Madness!!

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #1812 of 2282 Old 02-26-2014, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post

State of Decay is 50% off for midweek Madness!!

I bought this on both Xbox and Steam. Fun title though heart wrenching when people die after hours of building them.

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #1813 of 2282 Old 02-26-2014, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Easily done Via Steam even if you purchase them from GOG.com. You can link any game in your HD to your Steam account.

Plus, I love GOG.com. For many years I was computer-illiterate, and bought those execrable "Media-Center" PCs that did everything-just nothing very well. If not for GOG, I wouldn't have had many games to play since my PCs all had lame-O GPUs installed. GOG.com is also affiliated with the Developers of the The Witcher series, and they are one of the good guys in the business, rewriting almost the entire game engine and mechanics for the first Witcher game after listening to the player's comments and complaints. They're the only developers for whose games I happily pay full price-I did it for Bethesda's Skyrim, but that was also because I couldn't wait around for discounts on that baby.

i7-2600k @4.4ghz/gtx 780(stock clocks)/Samsung 830 @256gb/WD Veloc. 1TB/Sound via Sony 7.1ch cheapo/B&W 601se/KEF C-40(dual-8"driver mini-towers)/(arriving soon)SVS PB-1000 sub/FiiO E17 Alpen DAC/Audio Technica M50 headphones(never used! heheh)/Crossover 2560x1440 monitor
post #1814 of 2282 Old 02-26-2014, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Hello, I just found this thread today. I am happy to find more PC gamers on AVS!!
DaverJ, Arutha_conDoin and trog69 like this.

post #1815 of 2282 Old 02-26-2014, 02:31 PM

I'm a PC-gaming zealot, and I love the AVS fora, even though I don't have a HT, and don't even watch TV. heh. I do like my music when I'm not gaming.

i7-2600k @4.4ghz/gtx 780(stock clocks)/Samsung 830 @256gb/WD Veloc. 1TB/Sound via Sony 7.1ch cheapo/B&W 601se/KEF C-40(dual-8"driver mini-towers)/(arriving soon)SVS PB-1000 sub/FiiO E17 Alpen DAC/Audio Technica M50 headphones(never used! heheh)/Crossover 2560x1440 monitor
post #1816 of 2282 Old 02-26-2014, 02:42 PM

My HTPC is a gaming PC, It just happens to stay under my TV. =) I read the first page or two and then skipped to the end, does anyone still do coop on here, I am not available too often but it sounds like a lot of fun.

post #1817 of 2282 Old 02-26-2014, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Quote:
Hello, I just found this thread today. I am happy to find more PC gamers on AVS!!

I think with the sub par launch of next gen consoles (relative to what can be seen on a PC), the PC gaming market is really picking up steam. wink.gif
Chris5028 likes this.

post #1818 of 2282 Old 02-26-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post

I think with the sub par launch of next gen consoles (relative to what can be seen on a PC), the PC gaming market is really picking up steam. wink.gif

HeadRusch and Chris5028 like this.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #1819 of 2282 Old 02-26-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post

Puns aside I hope you are correct, I dropped Consoles after getting a Y500 and never looked back. I mean C'mon when my laptop is more powerful than one of the next gen consoles Its time to call it quits. =) I would love it if more of my friends converted.
Osirus23 likes this.

post #1820 of 2282 Old 02-26-2014, 07:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 1376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris5028 View Post

Puns aside I hope you are correct, I dropped Consoles after getting a Y500 and never looked back. I mean C'mon when my laptop is more powerful than one of the next gen consoles Its time to call it quits. =) I would love it if more of my friends converted.

I've heard lots of stories of console gamers getting into PC recently...but I havent heard anyone say theyre dropping PC for consoles in years.

DaverJ, Arutha_conDoin and trog69 like this.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #1821 of 2282 Old 02-26-2014, 09:44 PM

Yep. I'm a retiree, and I posted a few screen shots of Skyrim via Steam. A co-worker and fellow retiree saw them and bought a PS3. Then I mentioned that I'd upgraded to a 2560x1440p monitor, and he had to see his beloved Skyrim on it. He was flabbergasted that the graphics were so much clearer and sharper than on his rig, so he went out and had a monster rig bulit for gaming.

Poor guy was semi-distraught to learn that his fancy plasma TV was only 1080p, but he's still loving the gorgeous graphics. Now I have him playing Fallout 3/NV. hehehe Hooked fer life, baby!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I think one of the things holding back consoles, and will continue in that vein, is that for good graphics, you need a card that will, by necessity, create more heat. With more heat comes more fans to cool, and thus dust and crud. And most console players do not want to have to disassemble a console to clean it once a month, so crashing and blow ups would occur.

I hope they find a way to keep the dust out of enclosures without blocking the airflow but, until then, cleaning is mandatory.

post #1822 of 2282 Old 02-26-2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trog69 View Post

Yep. I'm a retiree, and I posted a few screen shots of Skyrim via Steam. A co-worker and fellow retiree saw them and bought a PS3. Then I mentioned that I'd upgraded to a 2560x1440p monitor, and he had to see his beloved Skyrim on it. He was flabbergasted that the graphics were so much clearer and sharper than on his rig, so he went out and had a monster rig bulit for gaming.

Poor guy was semi-distraught to learn that his fancy plasma TV was only 1080p, but he's still loving the gorgeous graphics. Now I have him playing Fallout 3/NV. hehehe Hooked fer life, baby!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I think one of the things holding back consoles, and will continue in that vein, is that for good graphics, you need a card that will, by necessity, create more heat. With more heat comes more fans to cool, and thus dust and crud. And most console players do not want to have to disassemble a console to clean it once a month, so crashing and blow ups would occur.

I hope they find a way to keep the dust out of enclosures without blocking the airflow but, until then, cleaning is mandatory.

My Laptop has a dust screen that works wonderfully. I have opened it a few times and never had to clean any dust out. It has two large intake fans that move a LOT of air. I would think it could be doable.

post #1823 of 2282 Old 02-27-2014, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 394
As much as PC gaming has improved over years, every now and then there's reminders why consoles might be best for the average gamer.

Take Capcom's Strider - a multi-platform game. I tried the demo on PS4 and loved it, but had pre-ordered it cheaper via Green Man Gaming. When it finally came out and downloaded, the PC game launches in windowed mode at 720p. I go into options and select full-screen 1080p, but my TV says "mode not supported". I mess with other resolutions and they load fine, but every time I switch to native 1080p, the screen blacks out, yet I could still hear the game running in the background. At one point I hit the A button during this blacked out mode, which confirms the resolution, and I was hosed - I could not get out of the black screen. I even deleted local content and re-downloaded, but the game remembered that mode that didn't work and continued to launch with a black screen.

It took a couple frustrating hours of reading messageboards to get back to being able to choose a resolution and some experimenting with how to get the game to play at 1080p, so all is well now.

But during that couple hours, I was really wishing I had just got the game on PS4 so I could be playing instead of messing with .cfg files and experimenting in control panels with custom resolutions. It doesn't happen a lot, but when it does, I am reminded that consoles can be a good thing, especially for the average non-PC tinkerer.

btw - the messageboards are flooded with problems like I had (and others) with Strider, and over a week later Capcom hasn't patched the game yet.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #1824 of 2282 Old 02-27-2014, 06:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

That's just a bug though, and bugs aren't exclusive to PC. Maybe there's more potential for bugs because of the malleability of the platform, but since every other game runs fine at full screen, I'd lay the blame purely at the devs feet.

Bad PC ports aren't the norm anymore...I don't think the occasional launch day bug is reason enough to be afraid of PC gaming.
trog69 likes this.

post #1825 of 2282 Old 02-27-2014, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Consoles used to have more polish in their games - they'd come out and be expected to work perfectly out of the gate. PC gamers often got screwed with rushed products that would need to be updated/patched to fix. Add to that the problem of support - is it the OS? Is it the graphics card? Motherboard? Drivers?

Now with hard drives and ethernet, "wait for the patch" has become the new mantra for consoles. You don't have to mess with drivers like PC, but I think in the end, gamers in general are on the losing end of this trend.

For me, PC gaming is a lot of fun. I enjoy modding games in some cases (like Skyrim). I even hook up my laptop to my projector and play games that way w/wireless keyboard/mouse or my USB 360 controller.

But when it comes to meeting up with friends online, consoles are still years ahead. Steam's good for getting together and such, but there's something to be said for just plugging in a microphone and chatting with people who are in different games. Yes, I can do this myself through other programs, but it's far more streamlined on the consoles.

One thing I like about the new consoles is the recording feature. I really wish I could do this on pc - hit a button and the last 30 seconds are saved.

Plus I like the fact that FPS games on consoles are less likely to get hacked and everyone has the same (or similar) controllers. FPS gaming on pc is just no fun when you don't have super high resolution mice with just the right amount of weight and graphics so detailed you can pick up on an enemy's sneeze 50 feet away.
post #1826 of 2282 Old 02-27-2014, 07:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Zath View Post

Consoles used to have more polish in their games - they'd come out and be expected to work perfectly out of the gate. PC gamers often got screwed with rushed products that would need to be updated/patched to fix. Add to that the problem of support - is it the OS? Is it the graphics card? Motherboard? Drivers?

Now with hard drives and ethernet, "wait for the patch" has become the new mantra for consoles. You don't have to mess with drivers like PC, but I think in the end, gamers in general are on the losing end of this trend.

For me, PC gaming is a lot of fun. I enjoy modding games in some cases (like Skyrim). I even hook up my laptop to my projector and play games that way w/wireless keyboard/mouse or my USB 360 controller.

But when it comes to meeting up with friends online, consoles are still years ahead. Steam's good for getting together and such, but there's something to be said for just plugging in a microphone and chatting with people who are in different games. Yes, I can do this myself through other programs, but it's far more streamlined on the consoles.

One thing I like about the new consoles is the recording feature. I really wish I could do this on pc - hit a button and the last 30 seconds are saved.

Plus I like the fact that FPS games on consoles are less likely to get hacked and everyone has the same (or similar) controllers. FPS gaming on pc is just no fun when you don't have super high resolution mice with just the right amount of weight and graphics so detailed you can pick up on an enemy's sneeze 50 feet away.

If you have a nvidia card, the GeForce experience app has shadowplay, which is exactly like the console...just hit a button and X amount of time is saved, record at will, stream to twitch, etc. Of course, it's PC, so it's fully configurable...you can record 1080p/60 at 50mbps, and the performance hit is negligible. Capture cards are basically obsolete now.
trog69 likes this.

post #1827 of 2282 Old 02-27-2014, 07:43 AM

Yes, I have a Valkerie 17" with a gtx 680M card installed, but it cost almost $1600-a bargain for a gaming laptop, but an extraordinary amount to pay for a console. I think that if they went for a larger unit rather than trying to shoehorn so much into so little space, they'd have the ability to go big on components.

I am not a PC fanboi, and since I've never played on any console since the NES, I don't really know what the games look like on them, but I bet I'd get used to it once I had one and played on it for a while. For me, however, the deciding factor originated in the fact that when there were glitches, the PC gamers were able to use codes from teh in-game console to get a character un-stuck, or to cheat at a particularly hard part that was blocking me from continuing. The sharper graphics is just a bonus. Plus, the massive numbers of mods for my favorite games has been a dream come true. Heck, I'm still playing Morrowind with the Overhaul mod collection, and it's gorgeous, for such a dated game. heh.

post #1828 of 2282 Old 02-27-2014, 07:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trog69 View Post

Yes, I have a Valkerie 17" with a gtx 680M card installed, but it cost almost $1600-a bargain for a gaming laptop, but an extraordinary amount to pay for a console. I think that if they went for a larger unit rather than trying to shoehorn so much into so little space, they'd have the ability to go big on components.

I am not a PC fanboi, and since I've never played on any console since the NES, I don't really know what the games look like on them, but I bet I'd get used to it once I had one and played on it for a while. For me, however, the deciding factor originated in the fact that when there were glitches, the PC gamers were able to use codes from teh in-game console to get a character un-stuck, or to cheat at a particularly hard part that was blocking me from continuing. The sharper graphics is just a bonus. Plus, the massive numbers of mods for my favorite games has been a dream come true. Heck, I'm still playing Morrowind with the Overhaul mod collection, and it's gorgeous, for such a dated game. heh.

Yeah, that's another good thing on PC...a lot of times the community comes together to fix bugs. There's even communities that add better 3D support to games, make graphics better, fix bugs etc...and steam is doing an amazing job bringing a lot of this together with steam workshop. Modding used to require some knowledge, now it's just a click away. I wouldn't be surprised to see them launch a feature where they can crowdsource bug fixes and install them with one click too.

They could take the pain out of configuring settings too...the client knows your hardware, they just need to add an API that let's steam modify the settings. Then once the game is out, just mine the data and automatically apply them based on your hardware.
trog69 likes this.

post #1829 of 2282 Old 02-27-2014, 07:52 AM

Are you trying to assert that FPS games on consoles has better resolution that PCs? I don't get that part. As for playing with friends with the mic and such, yes, that's been the consoles draw for years. No arguing about that. If you prefer the better graphics, much smoother gameplay, and mods, mods, mods, it's PC alone.

BD2003 is right; nVidia has shot the capture card business right below the waterline, and they're worried.

post #1830 of 2282 Old 02-27-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Yeah, that's another good thing on PC...a lot of times the community comes together to fix bugs. There's even communities that add better 3D support to games, make graphics better, fix bugs etc...and steam is doing an amazing job bringing a lot of this together with steam workshop. Modding used to require some knowledge, now it's just a click away. I wouldn't be surprised to see them launch a feature where they can crowdsource bug fixes and install them with one click too.

They could take the pain out of configuring settings too...the client knows your hardware, they just need to add an API that let's steam modify the settings. Then once the game is out, just mine the data and automatically apply them based on your hardware.

The great thing about being a spazzy old retiree was that the youngsters in the gaming fora would take me by the hand and help me fix things, while for others their age they'd just call them a noob and laugh at their ignorance. heheh. I love the people on the Nexus fora. I've never hit a glitch they didn't find ways to get around. One guy took the time to connect our rigs and he almost literally held my hand as he taught me how to install the Mod Manager, installing the FOSE, etc., then spent an hour teaching me the basics of the G.E.C.K. and I was able to build my own shack and furnish it, even how to install the doors correctly. heheh. I'm very grateful for that.

Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page