The Steam Thread - Page 70 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-22-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Couldn't get into KoA on the 360, but I suppose I'll need to spend more time on it.

Borderlands 2 I'll get once I play through 1.

So many good deals but so many games I have to play first!

The only thing I'm really looking at is Shogun 2. I have Fall of the Samurai already and am considering getting the base game, Rise of the Samurai DLC, and maybe a couple of the clans DLC, assuming the DLC goes on sale for 75% off too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
It's stuff like this that makes me want to sell all my consoles. Sure I'll miss out on a few exclusives, but I'll never have my content locked away on a dead platform in a few years time.
Wow! I was thinking the exact same thing BD. I was looking at all of these old consoles stacked in my house. And thought...this is a complete wasteland. PC with Steam and a few others like UPlay and maybe XBL is the way to go in the future. I still think Microsoft will do what you opined about in the near future with XBOS/XBL/XB Arcade etc.

I spent about $70.00 on this sale and still have a few more indies to go. Including the Bioshock Infinite Season Pass you mentioned an earlier post. I have Trine 2, The Swapper and The Stanley Parable in my shopping cart.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
Current Daily Deals:

• Borderlands 2
  • Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
  • Tomb Raider reboot

all @ $5 each - easy recomendations.
Thanks for the reminder of Kingdoms of Amalur. I picked that up with the DLC for $9.99. I wanted that on my PC for awhile.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
Old 06-22-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Current Daily Deals:

• Borderlands 2
  • Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
  • Tomb Raider reboot
all @ $5 each - easy recomendations.
Daver! What are you doing to me? I'm into KOA for 80+ hours on the Xbox 360. And was thinking of adding the DLC on XBL for more than the $9.99 complete package on Steam. Anyways...I put KOA Complete package in my cart. I will now flush all of the side quests on XB 360 and just storm to the finish. Then play the whole thing over on PC later. Who knows. Maybe even with Oculus Rift and the Xbox 360 controller. That would be beautiful and awesome. Ditto with Skyrim Ultimate package. WIth this growing backlog on PC. And the one I already have on Xbox 360. I may not get a new console for years...if ever. The upcoming Halo Collection and Halo 5 are the only reason I would buy an XB1. But I feel exactly like BD2003 on the new consoles.
DaverJ likes this.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
What the hell have you bought? I wish Steam would show me what games are new to your Library by making them a different font color.
That's one of the things about Origin that I really like...it adds a "New" banner across newly added titles to your library. It also gives you the name of a title by hovering over the grid icon. Since I use textless icons for both Steam and Origin, sometimes I forget what a title might be and that comes in handy. Now that I think about it, I actually prefer the interface of Origin over Steam. Now if they'd only add built-in voice chat. =\

Quote:
The only AAA thing I bought was the bioshock infinite season pass for $10.
Have you played Burial at Sea yet? If not, I noticed that BaS: Part 1 is much harder on 1999 Mode. I played Infinite on 1999 Mode/Scavenger style. I thought it was a nice challenge that made the gameplay more fun since you had to use more Plasmids/weapons than you normally would, but it wasn't really that difficult. But in BaS, resources are scarcer, enemies are more aggressive, you carry less ammo and checkpoints are much further apart (initially). I'm not exaggerating, but I died more in BaS: Part 1 than I did in all of Infinite even though the DLC is way shorter. lol

I'd also suggest giving 1998 Mode (stealth/non-lethal weapons) a try in Part 2. According to Steam, only 0.33% of players have played/finished it in that mode, which is a shame, because I thought it was quite fun.

I've only spent about $8.50 so far during the sale. =D
Old 06-23-2014, 08:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 1463
Nah, I haven't played it yet. I haven't played almost anything that I bought, too busy rebuilding and OCing my new 4790K.
Arutha_conDoin likes this.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Old 06-23-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post
Wow! I was thinking the exact same thing BD. I was looking at all of these old consoles stacked in my house. And thought...this is a complete wasteland. PC with Steam and a few others like UPlay and maybe XBL is the way to go in the future. I still think Microsoft will do what you opined about in the near future with XBOS/XBL/XB Arcade etc.

It's like I have boxes and boxes of old consoles that barely work with my TV, and I'd have to go through this whole song and dance to pull all that hardware out, hook it up, etc. They look worse than ever and those old controllers are garbage and worn out.

But PC games I have from ten years ago install just fine, and look and play better than ever. Sure, they're still old games, but they age in reverse.

The thing that really gets to me is that the only thing I'm interested in for the ps4 is the last of us remastered....but it's little more than the version we would have gotten last year if it was a PC game. And they want $50 for it. It's like the poster boy for everything that's wrong about consoles.
barrelbelly likes this.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Finally joined a Steam Summer Adventure Team, and got on Marafice Eye and jhoff80's Pink Team.

We are going to take it today!!! GO TEAM PINK!!!!!
Old 06-23-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm real close to pulling the trigger on "Metal Gear Rising-Revengeance". The Soundtrack sounds awesome. Moody and akin to the one on "Nier". That track really hooked me in. Anyone played it yet? It looks like a hybrid of Nier, Ninja Gaiden/Blade and Final Fantasy. With maybe a splash of 99 Nights tossed in.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm real close to pulling the trigger on "Metal Gear Rising-Revengeance". The Soundtrack sounds awesome. Moody and akin to the one on "Nier". That track really hooked me in. Anyone played it yet? It looks like a hybrid of Nier, Ninja Gaiden/Blade and Final Fantasy. With maybe a splash of 99 Nights tossed in.
Yeah... didn't finish it, but I think i got pretty far. I seem to remember having to lower the difficulty to progress. Starts easy, but then *wham*.

It's a trip. Like the DMC reboot, it is Ninja Gaiden-ish and hilariously graphic and over-the-top. The crazy slicing mechanic, complete with ripping out spines, is pretty cool.

At over $10 I'm not sure I can give a full endorsement, but if it looks like it appeals to you, it might be your thing.
barrelbelly likes this.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Finally joined a Steam Summer Adventure Team, and got on Marafice Eye and jhoff80's Pink Team.

We are going to take it today!!! GO TEAM PINK!!!!!
The game is actually being controlled by reddit users, which I'm all for. It lets each team have two chances at getting the games on their wishlist. Purple team apparently didn't get the memo on day two though and almost screwed it up, which would have sucked since I'm on Red team. lol

Here's the order:
  1. 19th - PURPLE - Thursday
  2. 20th - RED - Friday
  3. 21st - GREEN - Saturday
  4. 22nd - PINK - Sunday
  5. 23rd - BLUE - Monday
  6. 24th - PURPLE - Tuesday
  7. 25th - RED - Wednesday
  8. 26th - GREEN - Thursday
  9. 27th - PINK - Friday
  10. 28th - BLUE - Saturday

So I suppose you can save at least one badge to craft for your day to get the extra card.
DaverJ likes this.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah... didn't finish it, but I think i got pretty far. I seem to remember having to lower the difficulty to progress. Starts easy, but then *wham*.

It's a trip. Like the DMC reboot, it is Ninja Gaiden-ish and hilariously graphic and over-the-top. The crazy slicing mechanic, complete with ripping out spines, is pretty cool.

At over $10 I'm not sure I can give a full endorsement, but if it looks like it appeals to you, it might be your thing.
Yep! I agree with you on the price. I'll put it on my wish list. And wait until I see it for $4.99-$7.49/ Or worse case...grab it in the winter sale. I've bought enough to keep me busy. The only ones left on this sale for me are Bioshock Infinite Season Pass and KOA full package.

BTW I started XCom Unknown last night. The turn based game mechanics are tricky. But I like it so far. It's a different kind of experience for me. This game could be an awesome port/franchise for Xbox One with Kinect. Especially if 343 modded it to work seamlessly with Kinect. Complete with turn disruptions by you or the AI. But that may be a different game entirely. and likely will never happen.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Yep! I agree with you on the price. I'll put it on my wish list. And wait until I see it for $4.99-$7.49/ Or worse case...grab it in the winter sale. I've bought enough to keep me busy. The only ones left on this sale for me are Bioshock Infinite Season Pass and KOA full package.

BTW I started XCom Unknown last night. The turn based game mechanics are tricky. But I like it so far. It's a different kind of experience for me. This game could be an awesome port/franchise for Xbox One with Kinect. Especially if 343 modded it to work seamlessly with Kinect. Complete with turn disruptions by you or the AI. But that may be a different game entirely. and likely will never happen.
If you like it now, wait until you've played it for a few hours and you really start to understand the gameplay. It's addictiveness is on par with Civ V. You probably wont touch anything else for weeks.
barrelbelly likes this.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:02 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post
The game is actually being controlled by reddit users, which I'm all for. It lets each team have two chances at getting the games on their wishlist. Purple team apparently didn't get the memo on day two though and almost screwed it up, which would have sucked since I'm on Red team. lol

Here's the order:
  1. 19th - PURPLE - Thursday
  2. 20th - RED - Friday
  3. 21st - GREEN - Saturday
  4. 22nd - PINK - Sunday
  5. 23rd - BLUE - Monday
  6. 24th - PURPLE - Tuesday
  7. 25th - RED - Wednesday
  8. 26th - GREEN - Thursday
  9. 27th - PINK - Friday
  10. 28th - BLUE - Saturday

So I suppose you can save at least one badge to craft for your day to get the extra card.
What do you mean they are controlling it, and what exactly are they controlling?

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Old 06-23-2014, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Nah, I haven't played it yet. I haven't played almost anything that I bought, too busy rebuilding and OCing my new 4790K.
That explains the 3D mark testing scores I saw popping up on Steam.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
Old 06-23-2014, 11:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
That explains the 3D mark testing scores I saw popping up on Steam.

Heh, I think the tuning is even more fun than the gaming. Right now I can push 4.7ghz on up to 3 cores, but that last core is being really stubborn, it doesn't want to go past 4.6ghz.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I picked up the Lego Movie game. Can't resist Lego games, even though the last couple (Hobbit, Marvel) haven't done much for me. My first peek at this one has been very positive.

Currently on Flash Sale - Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed for $5 - EASY recommendation if you've ever enjoyed Mario Kart or arcade racing.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 968
Quote:
I picked up the Lego Movie game. Can't resist Lego games, even though the last couple (Hobbit, Marvel) haven't done much for me. My first peek at this one has been very positive.

Currently on Flash Sale - Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed for $5 - EASY recommendation if you've ever enjoyed Mario Kart or arcade racing.
I snagged a couple of those too. The kid is getting interested when I pick up a controller so for future rainy days I figured these will be just fine.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I just picked up Lego Harry Potter for my kids and they are having a blast playing co-op, with the exception of the annoying black screen tear line when they move too far apart from each other. Also picked up Kingdoms of Amalur. There are just too many good games and not enough time.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
What do you mean they are controlling it, and what exactly are they controlling?
Which team wins on each day. So today Purple is supposed to win. That list hasn't been wrong yet. It looks like Valve may be trying to combat that by offering incentives to the top three teams instead of just the top team, but Purple is still easily in the lead right now.

They could affect it greatly if people only craft Summer Badges on their given days. I'm holding out on crafting mine until tomorrow for example. That's at least 10 points versus the 1 point for a regular badge. Or in how they use the tokens.

The one strange thing though, before today when Valve expanded the prizes, was how close the 4 teams that didn't win were to each other. It had a lot of people wondering if it wasn't fixed.

Quote:
Definitely. It's a lot of fun. But it is rock hard when you're going for 4 stars. Well, the races are incredibly hard...the other events are easier.

Also, if anyone has yet to pick up Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, I'd highly recommend it. Especially for $2.99. Fantastic game.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Heh, I think the tuning is even more fun than the gaming. Right now I can push 4.7ghz on up to 3 cores, but that last core is being really stubborn, it doesn't want to go past 4.6ghz.
What is CPU temp on the OC on that? I have not even tried to OC my i5 3.4Gghz yet. The reviews on mine were that it should overclock pretty good, but I don't see the need to do so yet.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
Old 06-24-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
What is CPU temp on the OC on that? I have not even tried to OC my i5 3.4Gghz yet. The reviews on mine were that it should overclock pretty good, but I don't see the need to do so yet.

Depends on what you're running....it can hit 85C in a synthetic stress test, but in game, like 60-70C. I'm using decent air cooling nothing too exotic, but much better than the stock cooler.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

More unexpected buying - World of Goo and Awesomenauts for a buck a piece, and Rayman Legends for $10. Don't know when I'll play them, but such is the Steam Sale.

Wolfenstein finally got a 33% discount, so fingers crossed on the last day it might get a nice 50% off. Nothing from Watch Dogs.

btw, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag is great on PS4, but even better on PC. So happy to be re-playing that again with all the DLC.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 968
Old 06-25-2014, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

FYI - Mirror's Edge is currently $5.

I think this game is a rare masterpiece of minimal design and gameplay - a fantastic first-person running + jumping platform game. The controls are a little tricky to get used to, but worth the effort to experience parkour like this. Five stars.

Side note - sequel in development... can't wait!
Old 06-25-2014, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I know I'm in the minority but I absolutely hated Mirror's Edge. The controls were wonky, the gunplay was terrible, there were annoying bugs (I'd get stuck in like two inches of space), and it was extremely linear.

All of that being said, I'm still looking forward to the sequel. The handful of times in the original where you'd pull off long sequences of parkour were fantastic (unfortunately they were few and far between). From what I've seen of Mirror's Edge 2, it looks like they're opening up the environment a bit and tightening up the combat...both positive signs. If it all flows and controls smoothly, then I'll definitely be picking it up.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Played about 10 minutes of Mirrors Edge........on DaverJ's recommendation when the game came out back a few years ago, when I recall he also liked it. I didn't like it. For the reasons moob mentions above, but also because it felt like a tech demo, not a fully fleshed-out game. I think there just wasn't enough to do........Mirrors Edge as an APP game on a slate makes perfect sense to me, but at a console title it felt more like a Live Arcade submission than something A-List........

Having said that..what do I know, don't listen to the likes of me

Watch Dogs I still have no idea what platform I'll play on (most likely the one that reaches $14.99 or less first....) but the Steam Summer Sale spells doom for all of us......and sometimes even actually Doom.......all in $2.50, $4.99 and $14.99 increments........

The Death of 1000 Downloads!?

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

Old 06-26-2014, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 234
I tried... I really tried to not buy a bunch of stuff on the Steam Sale... but yeah I have failed miserably. I was ok for the first couple days, but uh yeah not anymore...

Roller Coaster Rampage - $1.99
God-Mode - $1.99
Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages - $2.99
Probably Archery - $2.99
Agarest Zero - $6.79
State of Decay: Breakdown DLC - $1.74
Halo: Spartan Assault - $2.49
The Stanly Parable - $5.99
Slender: The Arrival - $1.49
Betrayer - $4.99
Orion: Dino Horde - $1.49
Insurgency - $6.79
The Blackwell Bundle - $1.99
realMYST: Masterpiece Edition - $8.99
Nidhogg - $4.99
LEGO: The Hobbit - $7.49
The LEGO Movie Videogame - $7.49
LEGO Movie game DLC - $1.49
Bioshock Infinte Season Pass - $9.99
The Next Car Game Deluxe Edition - $26.99
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams - Rise of the Owlverlord - $0.94
Batman: Arkham Origins Season Pass - $4.99
The other Arkham Origins DLC - $1.97
Gone Home - $2.99
Mars: War Logs - $3.74
The King of Fighters XIII - $10.19
Singularity - $7.49

Total so far with 4 days left? - $143.46

Just kill me now!

Now sitting at 940 games and 620 DLC on Steam according to my Steam profile... and somehow my wishlist still has 98 frickin things on it!

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _
Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast
https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link
http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website
Old 06-26-2014, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post
Played about 10 minutes of Mirrors Edge........on DaverJ's recommendation when the game came out back a few years ago, when I recall he also liked it. I didn't like it. For the reasons moob mentions above, but also because it felt like a tech demo, not a fully fleshed-out game. I think there just wasn't enough to do.
It took you that long to figure out it's not a first-person shooter or driving sim???
Old 06-26-2014, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
@DaverJ

They made a movie you'd love.......

DaverJ likes this.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986