The Steam Thread - Page 75 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 67Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2221 of 2243 Old 07-16-2014, 07:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,299
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 1345
I still tend to prefer the nvidia cards even though AMD tends to have better price/performance. NVIDIA has much better fringe stuff to take advantage of an excess of GPU power, like downsampling, 3d vision, PhysX, g-sync, lightboost, etc... Even though I normally hate proprietary stuff, AMD isn't pushing the open alternatives hard enough for them to have any meaningful significance.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2222 of 2243 Old 07-16-2014, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
moob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,561
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
I still tend to prefer the nvidia cards even though AMD tends to have better price/performance. NVIDIA has much better fringe stuff to take advantage of an excess of GPU power, like downsampling, 3d vision, PhysX, g-sync, lightboost, etc... Even though I normally hate proprietary stuff, AMD isn't pushing the open alternatives hard enough for them to have any meaningful significance.
But Nvidia's stuff is so niche it's just as useless as AMD's. I mean, I use Mantle in BF4 and it does improve my minimum fps, but I'd survive without it if my next upgrade happens to be an Nvidia card.

In any case, you can utilize downsampling and use lightboost with AMD cards as well. You can push Physx to your CPU in some games. For those of us with 120Hz/144Hz monitors, G-Sync isn't really needed, unless you come across a game with really horrific tearing, which I haven't seen just yet. As for 3D, I'm looking at the little 3D Vision sticker on my monitor and I know that, even if I had an Nvidia card, I'd still never use it.
moob is offline  
post #2223 of 2243 Old 07-16-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,299
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 1345
The Steam Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post
But Nvidia's stuff is so niche it's just as useless as AMD's. I mean, I use Mantle in BF4 and it does improve my minimum fps, but I'd survive without it if my next upgrade happens to be an Nvidia card.

In any case, you can utilize downsampling and use lightboost with AMD cards as well. You can push Physx to your CPU in some games. For those of us with 120Hz/144Hz monitors, G-Sync isn't really needed, unless you come across a game with really horrific tearing, which I haven't seen just yet. As for 3D, I'm looking at the little 3D Vision sticker on my monitor and I know that, even if I had an Nvidia card, I'd still never use it.

Like I said, it's fringe stuff. It isn't a selling point to everyone, but I personally use those features quite a bit. AMD does a lot of this stuff too, but if we're being honest, they don't do it as well.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is offline  
post #2224 of 2243 Old 07-18-2014, 03:17 PM
Member
 
trab37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Has anyone checked out the Steam Quakecon sale? Wolfenstein:New Order is 50% off today.
trab37 is offline  
post #2225 of 2243 Old 07-18-2014, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
Marafice Eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Southern Sun, by the galley.
Posts: 876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by trab37 View Post
Has anyone checked out the Steam Quakecon sale? Wolfenstein:New Order is 50% off today.
Snagged it for $28 yesterday on Gamefly, close enough to half off. I hear it's a great game
Arutha_conDoin likes this.

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _
Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast
https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link
http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website
Marafice Eye is online now  
post #2226 of 2243 Old 07-18-2014, 03:26 PM
Member
 
trab37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 23
It just finished downloading, the connection here at Quakecon is pretty good, only took an hour to download 40GB.
Arutha_conDoin likes this.
trab37 is offline  
post #2227 of 2243 Old 07-19-2014, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Arutha_conDoin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by trab37 View Post
It just finished downloading, the connection here at Quakecon is pretty good, only took an hour to download 40GB.
That is damn good!

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
Arutha_conDoin is offline  
post #2228 of 2243 Old 07-19-2014, 06:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DaGamePimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: WA State
Posts: 15,494
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye View Post
Snagged it for $28 yesterday on Gamefly, close enough to half off. I hear it's a great game

It's honestly not a great game, it's good but leaves a lot to be desired and generally runs poorly when settings are maximized even on the highest powered pc's.


It's fun here and there but another craptastic ending (much like Rage... only slightly better).


Just my opinion.

Jason
DaGamePimp is offline  
post #2229 of 2243 Old 07-19-2014, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 8,461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye View Post
Snagged it for $28 yesterday on Gamefly, close enough to half off. I hear it's a great game
My trusted sources concur. GOTY material.
darthrsg is offline  
post #2230 of 2243 Old 07-19-2014, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Arutha_conDoin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post
It's honestly not a great game, it's good but leaves a lot to be desired and generally runs poorly when settings are maximized even on the highest powered pc's.


It's fun here and there but another craptastic ending (much like Rage... only slightly better).


Just my opinion.

Jason
Interesting. my system (i5, R9 280X) has run it fine on the settings as below (damn near ultra on everything) and now slow down whatsoever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-07-19_00002.jpg (173.0 KB, 9 views)
darthrsg likes this.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
Arutha_conDoin is offline  
post #2231 of 2243 Old 07-20-2014, 02:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DaGamePimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: WA State
Posts: 15,494
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
My trusted sources concur. GOTY material.

I'm not too sure that any critic or gaming publication would have this as GOTY, it's good but not that good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
Interesting. my system (i5, R9 280X) has run it fine on the settings as below (damn near ultra on everything) and now slow down whatsoever.

You are one of the fortunate ones, many out there have issues with the game maxed out, people with an OC'd i7 and SLi Titan's were complaining. I was one of the lucky ones with RAGE as I never had the serious issues that many others were having so this is a luck of the draw scenario just as that game was.


Try maxing it out and see how it runs.


As I stated that was just my opinion of the game, it's good but not great. There was nothing truly impressive about the game, nothing stood out from most other solid shooters and it did not break any new ground.


Jason
DaGamePimp is offline  
post #2232 of 2243 Old 07-20-2014, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 8,461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post
I'm not too sure that any critic or gaming publication would have this as GOTY, it's good but not that good.







Jason
Ok.
darthrsg is offline  
post #2233 of 2243 Old 07-20-2014, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Arutha_conDoin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post
Try maxing it out and see how it runs.


Jason
Everything is pretty much set to Max setting with the exception of Haze Flare. I figured that was like Lens flare and I hate that stuff so I always disable that setting in games. I may look at the settings more, but the main settings are all set to Ultra or maxed out and I am more then happy with how it runs.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
Arutha_conDoin is offline  
post #2234 of 2243 Old 07-20-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 8,461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
Everything is pretty much set to Max setting with the exception of Haze Flare. I figured that was like Lens flare and I hate that stuff so I always disable that setting in games. I may look at the settings more, but the main settings are all set to Ultra or maxed out and I am more then happy with how it runs.
Careful with that happy business. Next thing will be having fun and it will not be tolerated.
darthrsg is offline  
post #2235 of 2243 Old 07-20-2014, 09:53 AM
Member
 
Frraksurred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I enjoyed the game (New Order). I think when people say it is "good", that is in relation to what people expected as a whole. It is a fun game and much better than I had anticipated given their past few attempts. I've played it on PC (un-OC'ed i7 3770 with 680 FTW on Ultra; ran smooth as butter @ 2560x1600) and PS4. It's no Half-Life 2, but still a fun game.
Arutha_conDoin likes this.

Cosmos S || Maximus V Extreme || i7 3770K w/ H100i || 128Gb Samsung 840 pro - OS || 256Gb Samsung 840 Pro - MP Games || 3TB Caviar Black - Everything else || Evga 680 FTW || X-Fi HD || Silent Pro 1000w || SamsungĀ UN60H7150 || 5.1 - NAD / Martin Logan / Velodyne
Frraksurred is offline  
post #2236 of 2243 Old 07-20-2014, 12:37 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member
 
Yrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Elkton, MD
Posts: 2,813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 164
If a game can keep me interested and playing until I finish it, I call it a good game.

This was a good game.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Yrd is offline  
post #2237 of 2243 Old 07-20-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 8,461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
If a game can keep me interested and playing until I finish it, I call it a good game.

This was a good game.
Yrd > Metacritic
Arutha_conDoin likes this.
darthrsg is offline  
post #2238 of 2243 Old 07-20-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DaGamePimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: WA State
Posts: 15,494
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
Everything is pretty much set to Max setting with the exception of Haze Flare. I figured that was like Lens flare and I hate that stuff so I always disable that setting in games. I may look at the settings more, but the main settings are all set to Ultra or maxed out and I am more then happy with how it runs.

Max out Shadow Resolution and see what happens, I think that is a setting that many complained about.


There are areas in this game that would slow to a crawl for many people even if many other areas within the game ran perfectly smooth.


The game is un-optimized much like several others have been recently (Watch Dogs comes to mind).


- - - - - - - -




* Oh come on now guys, some of you are acting like I said it was horrible or something... I said it was GOOD just not great.

Obviously people are going to have varied opinions and there is no need to act out over an opinion that differs from your own.


Jason

Last edited by DaGamePimp; 07-20-2014 at 02:04 PM.
DaGamePimp is offline  
post #2239 of 2243 Old 07-20-2014, 02:14 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member
 
Yrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Elkton, MD
Posts: 2,813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 164
I think it's just the way you say it. It's dripping with negative connotation.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Yrd is offline  
post #2240 of 2243 Old 07-20-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DaGamePimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: WA State
Posts: 15,494
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
I think it's just the way you say it. It's dripping with negative connotation.

Well yeah we could all have a different idea/opinion on what makes a game truly great.


Beyond that people tend to read more into an opinion if it varies from their own.


Jason
DaGamePimp is offline  
post #2241 of 2243 Old 07-20-2014, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Arutha_conDoin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 152
I do have to agree @DaGamePimp . It's good, but not great either. Things I like about it are the story line and the graphics. Metro Last Night I like better though (good story, more weapons to upgrade, and graphics, but that was from last year if I am not mistaken. All in all FPS are still best on PC which my son is slowly learning that and finally getting the hang of the mouse and keyboard

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
Arutha_conDoin is offline  
post #2242 of 2243 Old 07-21-2014, 03:33 PM
Senior Member
 
lurkor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Wolfenstein was fun, and that's an innovation I'd like to see a lot more of in this day and age.
lurkor is offline  
post #2243 of 2243 Old 07-21-2014, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 8,461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkor View Post
Wolfenstein was fun, and that's an innovation I'd like to see a lot more of in this day and age.
Careful. AVS folks don't take kindly to the f word. :-)
darthrsg is offline  
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off