post #2251 of 2276 Old 08-12-2014, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
A green drive won't be that much slower than the 7200rpm, but it won't be much quieter either. Try changing the AAM settings on the drive.
I think the drive is 2009 from what I read was AAM was removed from seagates in 2008?

Or is their some other way?

I find the western digital green drives fairly quiet, i dont know how much gaming i will do so it makes it hard for me to shell out money in canada for a SSD, i found a good price (67 dollars) for a 160gb kingston ssd drive, but then a friend was saying he could fit 3 games on that thing. I dont know how much gaming i will do but 3 games seems a bit low...

Anything more money and its getting to expensive since im mainly a console guy and may not use it that much, but i also may use it for more then 3 games ah what to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 2276 Old 08-12-2014, 05:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post
I think the drive is 2009 from what I read was AAM was removed from seagates in 2008?

Or is their some other way?

I find the western digital green drives fairly quiet, i dont know how much gaming i will do so it makes it hard for me to shell out money in canada for a SSD, i found a good price (67 dollars) for a 160gb kingston ssd drive, but then a friend was saying he could fit 3 games on that thing. I dont know how much gaming i will do but 3 games seems a bit low...

Anything more money and its getting to expensive since im mainly a console guy and may not use it that much, but i also may use it for more then 3 games ah what to do.

Hmm....consider the 2.5" seagate SSHD then. The green drives are quiet which spinning but they're audible while seeking around. Laptop drives tend to be much quieter, and the hybrid cache should help out a lot with the speed.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #2253 of 2276 Old 08-12-2014, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
I do have a 6 year old and a 4 year green drive running 24/7 in a nas since day one, so I wouldn't worry too much about the warranty.
Well I think we all know that when it comes to hard drives, it's very much a "your mileage may vary" sort of thing.
post #2254 of 2276 Old 08-12-2014, 07:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post
Well I think we all know that when it comes to hard drives, it's very much a "your mileage may vary" sort of thing.

Yeah, for sure...but I think WD has a really good track record. I've had many HDDs crap out on me over the past 20 years, but never a WD. I think I still have an old 80GB WD kicking around somewhere that prob still works just fine.

post #2255 of 2276 Old 08-12-2014, 08:04 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 174
It's funny how some people just get railed by certain brands and others don't. I stopped buying WD in the 90's because every single one I ever owned died. A few of my Maxtor drives died too. All of my Seagate drives, that I still use, are working fine. I just will not buy WD anymore. Or their HGST brand either.

I'm sure one of you guys had the same experience, but with Seagate on the shitter.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #2256 of 2276 Old 08-12-2014, 08:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
It's funny how some people just get railed by certain brands and others don't. I stopped buying WD in the 90's because every single one I ever owned died. A few of my Maxtor drives died too. All of my Seagate drives, that I still use, are working fine. I just will not buy WD anymore. Or their HGST brand either.

I'm sure one of you guys had the same experience, but with Seagate on the shitter.

Yep, it's always my seagate drives that kick the bucket....although my original hybrid momentus XT is still going.

Generally though, whatever brand it is, HDDs tend to live longer than they're useful unless there's some major design flaw like those IBM travelstars.

post #2257 of 2276 Old 08-13-2014, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 231
I wasn't interested in this one for Xbox 360 or One, because I played all of the versions on XB360. But I will grab it on Steam to max out the graphics on PC. Great Move LionHead! I hope they make all of the Fables available for PC.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/...oming-to-steam
post #2258 of 2276 Old 08-13-2014, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This reminded me of something I read about a few months ago. It's just one company's findings, and the number of HDDs tested isn't fair per brand, but worth a quick read.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/what-...-should-i-buy/

I've had Western Digital Greens go bad on me eventually, but it took at least 2 years for it to happen, and none of them were a sudden crash, just a slowdown. They still function, but give errors when running tests, so I can't use them reliably anymore. I had plenty of time to back them up, thank goodness. 4TB of anime down the drain would throw me into despair.
post #2259 of 2276 Old 08-13-2014, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessFace View Post
This reminded me of something I read about a few months ago. It's just one company's findings, and the number of HDDs tested isn't fair per brand, but worth a quick read.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/what-...-should-i-buy/

I've had Western Digital Greens go bad on me eventually, but it took at least 2 years for it to happen, and none of them were a sudden crash, just a slowdown. They still function, but give errors when running tests, so I can't use them reliably anymore. I had plenty of time to back them up, thank goodness. 4TB of anime down the drain would throw me into despair.
The only drives I've ever had trouble with were WD Green drives and Seagate drives(any of them). I use backblaze for my online backup and have been very happy with them, pretty nice company. They really mean it when they say unlimited storage, I have nearly 4TB backed up with them. Heck, they even have tutorials on their site for building their storage pods if one were so inclined.
post #2260 of 2276 Old 08-13-2014, 08:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Seagate drives have always been garbage for me as well.

If anyone sees a deal for Ultra SF IV please be sure to post it.

Jason
post #2261 of 2276 Old 08-13-2014, 10:17 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

GMG has been running coupons every month or so up until release. There's probably one there now.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #2262 of 2276 Old 08-13-2014, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I know this is origin related, but they now have a system in place allowing you to download and play full games for a certain # of hours for free as a demo. Kingdoms of Amalur and Battlefield 4 are available so far.
post #2263 of 2276 Old 08-13-2014, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 45
We should probably start an Origin thread at some time...my Origin library is climbing (or just combine the two since there aren't many Origin posts anyway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post
If anyone sees a deal for Ultra SF IV please be sure to post it.
This is the 20% coupon that's in my email that's good until Friday (GMG). I'm not sure if it works with SFIV, but no harm in trying: O7CNAE-Z1Y29P-QZAJ1I

I also noticed that Steam changed the name of SSFIV:AE to Ultra SFIV in my library even though I haven't bought it yet. I'm guessing they did it for compatibility sake but it threw me at first. I thought I got upgraded for free. lol I didn't... =\​

As for hard drives, I tend to stick to WD Black drives for my own builds. I do have an old Seagate that I use for backup so we'll see how long that lasts but I've gotten turned off Seagate in recent years.

Last edited by moob; 08-13-2014 at 11:01 PM.
post #2264 of 2276 Old 08-14-2014, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post
We should probably start an Origin thread at some time...
Not Origin specific, but there's this one that encompasses all non-Steam deals.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #2265 of 2276 Old 08-14-2014, 02:16 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Maybe we should have an all encompassing (steam too) deal thread, and have a thread similar to this one for stuff related to those systems that aren't deals.
Lord_Zath likes this.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #2266 of 2276 Old 08-14-2014, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Anyone picking up Gauntlet? It's a day one for me (actually picking it up tomorrow when I get paid)

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #2267 of 2276 Old 08-14-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

http://isthereanydeal.com/

Pretty much everything you could possibly need to find a deal.

post #2268 of 2276 Old 08-14-2014, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Just a quick question about installing steam on a slower drive.

I built an htpc last year, but due to using madvr in media browser 3 i decided to upgrade my graphics card to an msi R9 270x, i also spent alot of time and money making it quiet as possible with a fractal design case, and several expensive low noise fans, and a SSD.

The pc is basically silent except i decided to add an older 7200rpm seagate drive and install steam on it. Unfortunately the drive is just way to loud, im basically wondering can i get a green drive and install steam on it?

The main OS is on the ssd, but the steam install is on the 7200rpm.

So my question is could i just get a 1tb green drive and put steam on it or will that be to slow? Should i be investing in another ssd drive and settle for something faster with much less storage?
Kind of off topic but how do you like that 270x? Been looking to upgrade and this one is at the top of my list due to the reported near silence. Is it really that quiet?

PSN ID: javant86

post #2269 of 2276 Old 08-15-2014, 01:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamouflage View Post
Kind of off topic but how do you like that 270x? Been looking to upgrade and this one is at the top of my list due to the reported near silence. Is it really that quiet?
Unfortunately i have not bought it yet

When I said i decided to upgrade to a r9 270x i just meant its my plan.

But now im thinking settling for the R9 270.

I am also very curious about the silence its suppose to have, dba readings are strange and seem to vary from every review i read. I am very picky though, my fans in my htpc are running cool at 5volts, i expect extreme silence and not being familiar with recent gen graphics cards (My last one was a 5770 i modded with an accelero cooler and hooked that fan up to a 7v).

I noticed in CCC you can set fan speed manually, although i dont know if thats a bad idea, i will have to check temps, i also seen msi afterburner allows for fan speed depending on temps but i hate bloating an htpc with extra crap.
post #2270 of 2276 Old 08-15-2014, 02:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Unfortunately i have not bought it yet

When I said i decided to upgrade to a r9 270x i just meant its my plan.

But now im thinking settling for the R9 270.

I am also very curious about the silence its suppose to have, dba readings are strange and seem to vary from every review i read. I am very picky though, my fans in my htpc are running cool at 5volts, i expect extreme silence and not being familiar with recent gen graphics cards (My last one was a 5770 i modded with an accelero cooler and hooked that fan up to a 7v).

I noticed in CCC you can set fan speed manually, although i dont know if thats a bad idea, i will have to check temps, i also seen msi afterburner allows for fan speed depending on temps but i hate bloating an htpc with extra crap.
Do NOT get a reference model then. Reference models are the single-fan versions. a good cool and quiet is usually the Gigabyte Windforce models

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _
Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast
https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link
http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website
post #2271 of 2276 Old 08-15-2014, 08:30 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 712
Yup. Love mine. Quiet as hell.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

post #2272 of 2276 Old 08-15-2014, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
Anyone picking up Gauntlet? It's a day one for me (actually picking it up tomorrow when I get paid)

I'm going to wait for reviews/updates ... I loved gauntlet as a kid...
A lot of good games just released or coming out soon.....
So, gauntlet will have to be good..
post #2273 of 2276 Old 08-15-2014, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNc View Post
I'm going to wait for reviews/updates ... I loved gauntlet as a kid...
A lot of good games just released or coming out soon.....
So, gauntlet will have to be good..
For $19.99 and it being an upgrade of a childhood classic for me it was a no brainer for me. The videos sold me on it and it's not like the gameplay should be radically different.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #2274 of 2276 Old 08-16-2014, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye View Post
Do NOT get a reference model then. Reference models are the single-fan versions. a good cool and quiet is usually the Gigabyte Windforce models
You will have to enlighten me?

From every review i read the msi R9270 is the quietest, the windforce gigabyte version appears to be louder.

http://www.tomshardware.de/amd-radeo...-241406-6.html
post #2275 of 2276 Old 08-16-2014, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
You will have to enlighten me?

From every review i read the msi R9270 is the quietest, the windforce gigabyte version appears to be louder.

http://www.tomshardware.de/amd-radeo...-241406-6.html
Then get the MSI, but honestly, those videos were done in an open environment, close up your case and you're not going to hear any of them. And none of those are reference models so any of them will be fine.
barrelbelly likes this.

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _
Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast
post #2276 of 2276 Old 08-17-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Hey Marafice...Darksiders 2 worked like a charm. All of the DLC codes came through too.

Question? Does your copy only work in widescreen letterbox format? Mine does. That makes for a very narrow field of vision on what is otherwise a beautiful game. The PC version of the game seems to have very limited video options. Did you experience the same? Or were you able to work around them? If so...can you share your solutions with me. Even with the video limitations, I still find myself playing this game on the PC now. It is graphically a stunning game on PC. Textures and shaders are vastly superior on PC. And after awhile the letterbox issue goes is not bothersome. Because I'm noticing more detail on the sides. It's only an issue when I pan up...when solving puzzles. Again thanks for your kind generosity.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page