post #2281 of 2297 Old 08-22-2014, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
Thanks for the link. I'll have to check it out. The Civ games are some of the best, so I'll be curious to see how this one does since it's now gone interstellar. Xcomm was nothing like Civ I though though.
Agreed. I was only referring to the game playing mechanics aspect...turn based vs FPS RPG etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2282 of 2297 Old 08-22-2014, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I'll be waiting for BE. Here's why:

Civ V was launched in a horribly unfinished condition. My wife and I both pre-ordered the games and essentially ended up with $100 in coasters for a year. Yup, it took a whole year before the game was patched so you could play Multiplayer without problems. Singleplayer was fixed about 3-6 months after launch. The biggest issue with singleplayer was a problem with the game's code - it actually caused video cards to overheat! In addition, many features that players came to love from Civ IV: Beyond the Sword were absent in Civ V, and most people felt that the devs pulled out facets of the game in order to sell them later. Now, four years later, Civ V is finally to the point where it's great to play - Brave New World gave lots of gameplay additions and (FINALLY) brought back aspects from Civ IV. So I'm going to sit back and see how BE ends up.

That said, if you are on the fence about a turn-based strategy game, I highly suggest you strongly consider purchasing Civ V while it's on sale now. Either get the base game for $7.50 or get the complete edition for $16.50. The complete edition is far superior to the base game, but both are great ways for you to find out what you think about Civ style games with a smaller investment.
post #2283 of 2297 Old 08-29-2014, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Hello gamers - I'm fairly new to HTPC gaming and have downloaded Steam and have been playing Need for Speed with my keyboard. I would like to start buying some more games but need a better controller perhaps. What would you guys recommend for a good overall controller to play a wide variety of games. Obviously, a wheel and pedals would be good for racing games but looking for a more all-around controller.

Thanks.
post #2284 of 2297 Old 08-29-2014, 03:51 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Alright! Nice of you to join the club.

First recommendation would be to pick up a Xbox 360 wireless controller with wireless usb dongle.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wirel...oller+wireless

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wirel...oller+wireless

Bam.

Many games are controller ready so you literally just plug this guy in, make sure it's charged and you're good to go.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #2285 of 2297 Old 08-29-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I use a wired 360 controller myself. Whether wired or wireless, I'd say a 360 controller is a must-have peripheral for any PC gamer.

And I believe this package (contains controller and receiver) is the same as if you bought the two items above separately, but for much less: http://amzn.com/B004QRKWKQ

Just be sure to purchase from amazon directly and not one of the third-party sellers or you might get ripped off.

Last edited by moob; 08-29-2014 at 04:57 PM.
post #2286 of 2297 Old 08-29-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Awesome. Thanks guys - on order unless I can find it local so I don't have to wait.
post #2287 of 2297 Old 08-29-2014, 07:24 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 176
If you were going to buy the dongle by itself, buy on of the cheaper ones.

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Pc-Ga...reless+adapter

MS does not sell the dongle by itself(unless they changed recently), so anything with MS name on it is probably not MS. Buy the ones that aren't trying to fake you out.

I own the HDE one from amazon, which is $12 right now. The one I liked above is only $10. Mine works perfectly, you just have to select the correct drivers when plugging it in. Windows usually won't recognize what's being plugged in.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #2288 of 2297 Old Yesterday, 06:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 1378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
If you were going to buy the dongle by itself, buy on of the cheaper ones.

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Pc-Ga...reless+adapter

MS does not sell the dongle by itself(unless they changed recently), so anything with MS name on it is probably not MS. Buy the ones that aren't trying to fake you out.

I own the HDE one from amazon, which is $12 right now. The one I liked above is only $10. Mine works perfectly, you just have to select the correct drivers when plugging it in. Windows usually won't recognize what's being plugged in.
I think the DS4 wrappers have improved to the point where I'd finally recommend them over a 360 controller. That touchpad is so necessary, and overall it's just a better controller than the 360. It requires a lot more setup though, but it's a better solution if you don't mind a little configuring.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #2289 of 2297 Old Yesterday, 09:48 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 176
I haven't bothered with the DS4 yet since it's so easy with the x360.

It would be nice if the devs would start building in an option to choose which type of controller you have. You know they won't switch away from xbox compatability, but it would be nice to add in the new controller.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #2290 of 2297 Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
I think the DS4 wrappers have improved to the point where I'd finally recommend them over a 360 controller. That touchpad is so necessary, and overall it's just a better controller than the 360. It requires a lot more setup though, but it's a better solution if you don't mind a little configuring.
I wish Sony would see the potential of an official release for the PC market. Right now the only real option for ease-of-use and widespread support is the 360 pad. Would be nice to have some real competition.
post #2291 of 2297 Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The Steam Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post
I wish Sony would see the potential of an official release for the PC market. Right now the only real option for ease-of-use and widespread support is the 360 pad. Would be nice to have some real competition.

The ds4 really isn't that hard to set up...just download the wrapper (I prefer the j2k version) and plug the ds4 in or connect via Bluetooth. It appears to games as a 360 pad, and the touchpad is a mouse by default. You don't have to use any of the advanced features in the drivers, and I haven't had a problem in any game. Button for button and stick for stick it matches the 360 pad, so there's really nowhere for it to go wrong.

A couple of months ago it was a lot more finnicky, you'd get lots of random disconnects, etc....now it's rock solid.

post #2292 of 2297 Old Yesterday, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Does it rumble? And do it correctly/appropriately?

Edit: Does the headset port work?

Right now I use the 2.5mm port on my 360 controller so that I can have the game sounds coming through my speakers with voice coming over the headset. Since it's a fairly light earpiece I can everything clearly.

Last edited by moob; Yesterday at 03:14 PM.
post #2293 of 2297 Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post
Does it rumble? And do it correctly/appropriately?

Edit: Does the headset port work?

Right now I use the 2.5mm port on my 360 controller so that I can have the game sounds coming through my speakers with voice coming over the headset. Since it's a fairly light earpiece I can everything clearly.

The rumble works perfectly. Don't think the headset port does, but I wasn't aware that it worked on the 360 pad either.

post #2294 of 2297 Old Yesterday, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
I'll disagree with you on this. I like the fact that the DS4 got bigger, but the placement of the sticks hasn't changed and to me it still feels uncomfortable. Hell I rather use the Xbox one controller over the DS4 on the PC. Either way It's going to be a matter of personal preference in the end. I do find it ironic though I play better with the DS4 when it is a Sony Exclusive game, but if it is a Multiplat game and it flashes up a B on the screen to hit, I still have a hard time remembering it is the O key. I guess I still prefer the ABXY buttons over the stupid Sony shapes.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #2295 of 2297 Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
I'll disagree with you on this. I like the fact that the DS4 got bigger, but the placement of the sticks hasn't changed and to me it still feels uncomfortable. Hell I rather use the Xbox one controller over the DS4 on the PC. Either way It's going to be a matter of personal preference in the end. I do find it ironic though I play better with the DS4 when it is a Sony Exclusive game, but if it is a Multiplat game and it flashes up a B on the screen to hit, I still have a hard time remembering it is the O key. I guess I still prefer the ABXY buttons over the stupid Sony shapes.

Heh, I don't even think of the shapes. I honestly couldn't even tell you which one is the cross or the square...I still think of them as ABXY. I always have a hard time in QTEs in Sony games cause of that. If anything really screws me up it's how the Xbox had to switch A/B and X/Y from their placement on the SNES controller. That still gets me to this day.

But yeah, obviously it's all preference. I tried to like the Xbox one controller and I just can't. It just doesn't fit my hands right, it's too small. The bumpers are in such an awkward place, and I absolutely hate the dpad. I'd rather use the 360 controller instead.

post #2296 of 2297 Old Yesterday, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Heh, I don't even think of the shapes. I honestly couldn't even tell you which one is the cross or the square...I still think of them as ABXY. I always have a hard time in QTEs in Sony games cause of that. If anything really screws me up it's how the Xbox had to switch A/B and X/Y from their placement on the SNES controller. That still gets me to this day.

But yeah, obviously it's all preference. I tried to like the Xbox one controller and I just can't. It just doesn't fit my hands right, it's too small. The bumpers are in such an awkward place, and I absolutely hate the dpad. I'd rather use the 360 controller instead.
That's not the fault of MS. The reason the buttons are that way on the Nintendo systems is because they read right to left in Japan so it's Y\X and B\A.

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _
Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast
https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link
http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website
post #2297 of 2297 Old Yesterday, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Zath View Post
I'll be waiting for BE. Here's why:

Yup, it took a whole year before the game was patched so you could play Multiplayer without problems.
The Pitboss feature is still pretty buggy, IME.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page