Forum Jump: 
 102Likes

post #2371 of 2393 Old 10-09-2014, 11:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 1426
I managed to adapt to the movement, you really need a controller so as you turn your head you can compensate by slightly pushing the left stick in the other direction, and it ends up feeling pretty natural. But OMG, I think this is getting a little too real for me lol. I swear VR was made for this game...stealth gameplay feels so different when you can literally peek your head around a corner. I dont even think words can do it justice, despite everything that's still kind of horrible about oculus, no game has ever made me feel so completely and utterly inside it before. Like ducking behind a box doesnt feel like some contrived gameplay mechanic to hide from AI, you literally feel like you're ducking behind a box and hiding from someone trying to kill you. It's almost a little too much, like I'm literally ducking my head as I'm running away from people shooting at me. I only caught just a glimpse of the alien, but I have to get at least a little sleep tonight...by the time I finally took the goggles off like 3 hours later, I was like 5 feet away from my desk.

Lol, there's a part of me that wishes I never picked this up, because no game will ever be able to match up to this. Man, and to think I almost resold it after all those ****** demos! You guys seriously have to see this for yourself, it's crazy. I don't care what it costs to buy the consumer version and the rig to support it, as long as there's more games of this caliber for it I'm all in.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2372 of 2393 Old 10-09-2014, 11:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm glad to hear you got it working well and enjoy it. After wearing the goggles three hours straight did you notice any ill effects? For the first week or so that I used 3D shutter glasses I noticed a strobing effect a few minutes after taking them off for example. It went away, so I guess my body adjusted.
post #2373 of 2393 Old 10-10-2014, 01:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 169
BD failed to mention the bucket at his side filled with regurgitated whoppers.

He eats like this while wearing the OR... that must be what all the cords are getting hung-up on.

Jason
Arutha_conDoin likes this.

Last edited by DaGamePimp; 10-10-2014 at 01:09 AM.
post #2374 of 2393 Old 10-10-2014, 01:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye View Post
Not even been out a full day and the same guy who broke the resolution and FPS cap for Dark Souls already fixed FFXIII. You can have it render at 4k and downsample to whatever res you want. So it's fixed lol.
Thing is the outside community shouldn't even need to fix the Developers mess. This should have been in from the beginning!

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #2375 of 2393 Old 10-10-2014, 05:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkor View Post
I'm glad to hear you got it working well and enjoy it. After wearing the goggles three hours straight did you notice any ill effects? For the first week or so that I used 3D shutter glasses I noticed a strobing effect a few minutes after taking them off for example. It went away, so I guess my body adjusted.
Not once I adjusted the way I controlled it. Felt a little disoriented adjusting back to the real world for a little bit, but nothing too bad. More than anything else my face was tired from having so much weight strapped on for so long...it really doesnt feel natural to swing your head around quick because of that either.

post #2376 of 2393 Old 10-10-2014, 05:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post
BD failed to mention the bucket at his side filled with regurgitated whoppers.

He eats like this while wearing the OR... that must be what all the cords are getting hung-up on.

Jason
Lol, I was so thirsty by the end of the session because I had no idea where my drink was. I needed one of those water backpacks with a huge straw.

Seriously though, I had no idea that I'd drifted that far from my desk by the time I was done. You need to be really careful about what's around you. It was kinda weird when I was sticking my face forward to look over a ledge, and I'm just as scared of smashing into my monitor as getting eaten by the alien. Speaking of which, there was this one point where it's really dark and guys are searching around me with a flashlight...I was really leaning around a corner and one of them saw me and shined the light directly in my face and it was totally blinding and just felt so real. Next thing you know bullets are whizzing over my head and everything....like it sorta crossed a line at that point. Horror games and movies are fun because you know you're safe. But this was more like when you're riding a roller coaster and that logical part of your brain shuts down and your animal brain takes over and you start to feel like you might die for real. It's cool that it's believable enough that it can pull that off, but do I really want to willingly subject myself to that for hours at a time?
barrelbelly likes this.

post #2377 of 2393 Old 10-10-2014, 07:32 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 186
I think that's the selling point of the whole thing.

Have you had eye fatigue after using it? I remember working at computer city back in the 90s and there was a demo of a head mounted display. I remember eye fatigue after using it because you're focusing on a point a few inches from your eyeballs. They need to set something like that up for the public to try out. Though now that I think about it, I don't want to put that thing on my face after some greasy neckbeard has been in it.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #2378 of 2393 Old 10-10-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The Steam Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
I think that's the selling point of the whole thing.

Have you had eye fatigue after using it? I remember working at computer city back in the 90s and there was a demo of a head mounted display. I remember eye fatigue after using it because you're focusing on a point a few inches from your eyeballs. They need to set something like that up for the public to try out. Though now that I think about it, I don't want to put that thing on my face after some greasy neckbeard has been in it.

Yeah, a little bit towards the end. Like I really wanted to rub my eyes but it's so locked to your face and hard to get just right that I didn't want to take it off. Nothing too extreme or any worse than 3D glasses though, it's just a little disorienting when you get back to the real world.

What it really needs is a way to flip the screen up off your face without unstrapping it. Right now you need to take it entirely off your face even if you just need to see for a second, it's super inconvenient. Like you can't even just swing the whole thing up and rest it on your forehead like glasses - it's too front heavy to be stable and if your skin touches the lenses it'll smear like crazy. There are these two little holes near the bottom that let you see juuust enough to find the keyboard, but they're pointed almost straight down and so tiny they really aren't useful for much more than that.

What also kinda sucks is that you need to get your eyes lined up so perfectly with the center of lenses for it to be clear that you need to strap it on super tight, or else it swings around too much when you look around. The only way I could get it to look right was really pinching my nose. The ergonomics are pretty terrible right now, but I guess it's a dev kit so I don't want to judge too harshly. One nice thing was that I didn't need glasses while wearing it...but then when I take it off I can't see. Overall it's way too much of an ordeal to transition in and out of VR. Like it's something you can't use around friends or family right now because you're so locked and wired into it, no one can get your attention for a quick second. The WAF on this is going to be really low.

Last edited by bd2003; 10-10-2014 at 08:38 AM.
post #2379 of 2393 Old 10-10-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Is it wireless? for some reason I am thinking it needs to be plugged into the the PC, but then that could totally hinder you moving around as well. If it is I can imagine people getting the sh!t scared out of them on AI and going to run only to have the cord be a problem.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #2380 of 2393 Old 10-10-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
Is it wireless? for some reason I am thinking it needs to be plugged into the the PC, but then that could totally hinder you moving around as well. If it is I can imagine people getting the sh!t scared out of them on AI and going to run only to have the cord be a problem.

The bare minimum amount of wires coming off your head is one, it's a really long cable that has a dongle near the end that has HDMI and USB. There's also a wire coming off the camera, that can attach to either the dongle or the headset. But you also need headphones (the consumer version will have it built in) and a controller. So yeah, it's a huge problem...turn your head too fast and you might rip the earbuds out of your ears, or a wire catches and knocks something off the desk, etc.

post #2381 of 2393 Old 10-10-2014, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
Lol, I was so thirsty by the end of the session because I had no idea where my drink was. I needed one of those water backpacks with a huge straw.

Seriously though, I had no idea that I'd drifted that far from my desk by the time I was done. You need to be really careful about what's around you. It was kinda weird when I was sticking my face forward to look over a ledge, and I'm just as scared of smashing into my monitor as getting eaten by the alien. Speaking of which, there was this one point where it's really dark and guys are searching around me with a flashlight...I was really leaning around a corner and one of them saw me and shined the light directly in my face and it was totally blinding and just felt so real. Next thing you know bullets are whizzing over my head and everything....like it sorta crossed a line at that point. Horror games and movies are fun because you know you're safe. But this was more like when you're riding a roller coaster and that logical part of your brain shuts down and your animal brain takes over and you start to feel like you might die for real. It's cool that it's believable enough that it can pull that off, but do I really want to willingly subject myself to that for hours at a time?
That could be the biggest stumbling block to VR. If it is causing heart attacks, strokes, cardiac arrest, and sheer terror with kids & adults who are not ready for that kind of immersion...well read alarms will go off all over the place. Especially the legal liability ones. I suspect sites like Steam and game developers are going to be forced to adopt a super serious rating system to handle this technology. But that could also kill it, if over done. We truly are at a new crossroad with videogames with Oculus Rift.
post #2382 of 2393 Old 10-10-2014, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 469
BD - isn't there a VR demo of Doom 3 available?
post #2383 of 2393 Old 10-11-2014, 09:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
BD - isn't there a VR demo of Doom 3 available?
Not that I can find.

post #2384 of 2393 Old 10-12-2014, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 888
Any good curators you guys follow on the new Steam? I've no interest in Kotaku/PC Gamer/CNN/Mainstream stuff. Also don't need that guy telling everyone Cave Story is teh best evar. Hopefully someone sane is curating.
post #2385 of 2393 Old 10-13-2014, 07:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah....I dunno if I can keep playing this game. It's just way too stressful now that the alien is involved. Even putting aside the oculus, I'm really not crazy about the way saves work...I hate repeating stuff. I hear it's like 20 hours long too?

post #2386 of 2393 Old 10-13-2014, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah....I dunno if I can keep playing this game. It's just way too stressful now that the alien is involved. Even putting aside the oculus, I'm really not crazy about the way saves work...I hate repeating stuff. I hear it's like 20 hours long too?
Yea 15-20 hours is what I have been hearing. I'm loving the game though. I love the sound when the Alien is crawling around above you in the vent shafts. Even worse it can be attacking someone else it still scares the crap out of me. Hell I even like the storyline and the tapes you are finding to hear what has been happening on the station.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #2387 of 2393 Old 10-13-2014, 09:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
Yea 15-20 hours is what I have been hearing. I'm loving the game though. I love the sound when the Alien is crawling around above you in the vent shafts. Even worse it can be attacking someone else it still scares the crap out of me. Hell I even like the storyline and the tapes you are finding to hear what has been happening on the station.
Lol, I dread that sound...my wife is cracking up watching me play because I'm swinging around my head like a crazy person and she has no idea what I'm seeing. I dunno man, it's like I know its a game...but it so takes over your senses that it really makes it hard to remove yourself entirely from it. Like I was running from the alien and then got stopped dead in my tracks, heard a nasty sound....and then looked down and saw his spine sticking straight through my stomach. It was such a crazy thing to actually have to look down to see that. Then I heard some hissing above me and he ripped my head off...its not exactly the most relaxing thing after a hard day's work.

I get the feeling that it's probably much harder in VR too...with the blurry resolution its kinda hard to tell sometimes if he's right in front of you, the audio isnt precise enough to really locate him, and the worst part is it can be very difficult to see the motion tracker because you have to look completely off to the side to see it. Right now it just feels so random...he's so fast and its like once I see him, I'm dead because I basically have no defense. I wouldnt mind the random one hit kills if the saves werent so far apart.

post #2388 of 2393 Old 10-16-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/...ign-first?read
IMO this is a strategic wink in the direction MS and XBox is going. I suspect Halo Master Chief Collection is next up for this approach in mid-late 2015. The bridge between Windows 8...Surface...Phone...Xbox One...Xbox Live and Steam will continue to be incrementally built as BD2003 and several of us have opined in the past. And built to a point whereby XB1 just may be Microsoft's last pure dedicated hardware/console entry. IMO it will become an OS and a hardware spec like SteamBox/OS in the future. For licensed, exclusive PC hardware manufacturers to design into for Windows OS, and XBL, with Steam, EA Origen and a very select few other platforms in tow. Licensed Xbox's and peripherals will continue to exist at varying levels of power, capacity and complexity IMO. But I foresee MS focusing almost exclusively on the Software, OS DRM side of it. Just my humble take on this little slice of Windows pie.
post #2389 of 2393 Old 10-17-2014, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Except Spartan Strike is not announced for Xbox at all.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #2390 of 2393 Old 10-17-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

That'll probably come down the line once they integrate Xbox with windows 10.

post #2391 of 2393 Old 10-19-2014, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Lol, I dread that sound...my wife is cracking up watching me play because I'm swinging around my head like a crazy person and she has no idea what I'm seeing. I dunno man, it's like I know its a game...but it so takes over your senses that it really makes it hard to remove yourself entirely from it. Like I was running from the alien and then got stopped dead in my tracks, heard a nasty sound....and then looked down and saw his spine sticking straight through my stomach. It was such a crazy thing to actually have to look down to see that. Then I heard some hissing above me and he ripped my head off...its not exactly the most relaxing thing after a hard day's work.

I get the feeling that it's probably much harder in VR too...with the blurry resolution its kinda hard to tell sometimes if he's right in front of you, the audio isnt precise enough to really locate him, and the worst part is it can be very difficult to see the motion tracker because you have to look completely off to the side to see it. Right now it just feels so random...he's so fast and its like once I see him, I'm dead because I basically have no defense. I wouldnt mind the random one hit kills if the saves werent so far apart.

BD: You've probably already figured this out. But I red it on Game Rant. I am posting it here if you don't already have it. It's the codes to activate Alien Isolation for VR on the Oculus Rift Dev Kit.

The reviews for Alien: Isolation frequently cite the game’s tense atmosphere and the unpredictable AI of the alien, which combine to make it a frightening experience, and a demo of the game with Oculus Rift at E3 2014 made things even more terrifying by making it impossible to look away. It was disappointing, therefore, when Creative Assembly later clarified that the Oculus Rift demo was only a prototype.
Since the consumer model of Oculus Rift hasn’t yet been released, this won’t make much of a difference to the vast majority of people who bought Alien: Isolation. For those few who are lucky enough to own the development kit, however, a thread on Neogaf explains how to turn Oculus Rift support for Alien: Isolation back on. Here are the instructions, courtesy of modders popcorncrackle, hagg87, and Wookiee81:
1) in ENGINE_SETTINGS.XML (found in the DATA folder) change the stereo options to:
<Setting name=”Stereo Mode”>
< Quality name=”Rift” precedence=”4″/>
< Quality name=”Off” precedence=”4″/>
< /Setting>
2) Set the Oculus to extended mode.
3) In the oculus configuration utility pause the service.
4) Start the game.
5) To play the game normally, reactivate the service by opening the display mode and set it to “direct to rift.”
That’s how to play with Oculus Rift; actually managing to do so for more than 15 minutes might be another matter, since even playing the game without Oculus Rift is a nerve-jangling experience.
post #2392 of 2393 Old 10-19-2014, 09:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah, that's how I was playing it.

I sold the rift for now, but I'm def gonna pick up the consumer version when it comes out.

post #2393 of 2393 Old Yesterday, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That'll probably come down the line once they integrate Xbox with windows 10.
Hopefully they do the Windows 10 upgrade for $40 for Windows 8.1 users.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page