AVS Forum banner

The Steam Thread

153K views 3K replies 167 participants last post by  EM3 
#1 ·
WiseGuy has started an AVS Steam Group for us!

AVS Forum Steam Group

My intention with this thread is to have one location for people to look at to find out what interesting stuff is happening on Steam, what nifty deals are going on at the moment, and who they should get together with to play some games. It seems that every two or three weeks we have a new Steam thread pop up, so hey, why not have all that in one place?

See less See more
#2,221 ·
I still tend to prefer the nvidia cards even though AMD tends to have better price/performance. NVIDIA has much better fringe stuff to take advantage of an excess of GPU power, like downsampling, 3d vision, PhysX, g-sync, lightboost, etc... Even though I normally hate proprietary stuff, AMD isn't pushing the open alternatives hard enough for them to have any meaningful significance.

#2,222 ·
But Nvidia's stuff is so niche it's just as useless as AMD's. I mean, I use Mantle in BF4 and it does improve my minimum fps, but I'd survive without it if my next upgrade happens to be an Nvidia card.

In any case, you can utilize downsampling and use lightboost with AMD cards as well. You can push Physx to your CPU in some games. For those of us with 120Hz/144Hz monitors, G-Sync isn't really needed, unless you come across a game with really horrific tearing, which I haven't seen just yet. As for 3D, I'm looking at the little 3D Vision sticker on my monitor and I know that, even if I had an Nvidia card, I'd still never use it. :p

#2,235 ·
I enjoyed the game (New Order). I think when people say it is "good", that is in relation to what people expected as a whole. It is a fun game and much better than I had anticipated given their past few attempts. I've played it on PC (un-OC'ed i7 3770 with 680 FTW on Ultra; ran smooth as butter @ 2560x1600) and PS4. It's no Half-Life 2, but still a fun game.

Reactions: Arutha_conDoin
#2,240 ·
Well yeah we could all have a different idea/opinion on what makes a game truly great.

Beyond that people tend to read more into an opinion if it varies from their own. ;)

Jason

#2,241 ·
I do have to agree @DaGamePimp. It's good, but not great either. Things I like about it are the story line and the graphics. Metro Last Night I like better though (good story, more weapons to upgrade, and graphics, but that was from last year if I am not mistaken. All in all FPS are still best on PC which my son is slowly learning that and finally getting the hang of the mouse and keyboard ;)

#2,246 ·
I am giving a huge shout out and standing "O" to Marafice Eye! He dialed me up on Steam Chat to offer his extra copy of Darksiders 2 Franchise Pack with Season Pass for PC. He remembered that I had put it on my Wish List after the Summer sale for purchase this winter. Made my day a very happy one. :D I'm downloading it on Steam as I write this. I am having a blast with the core DS2 game on Xbox 360. But as I told Eye...The XB 360 version will get flushed once I jump over to PC with it. Guys like Marafice makes this such a great forum for all of us. Much thanks and appreciation from me Eye. And I owe you one. And you're right. That was a boatload of codes. And I'll DL all of them tonight. I already did the 1st 2.

#2,247 ·
Just a quick question about installing steam on a slower drive.

I built an htpc last year, but due to using madvr in media browser 3 i decided to upgrade my graphics card to an msi R9 270x, i also spent alot of time and money making it quiet as possible with a fractal design case, and several expensive low noise fans, and a SSD.

The pc is basically silent except i decided to add an older 7200rpm seagate drive and install steam on it. Unfortunately the drive is just way to loud, im basically wondering can i get a green drive and install steam on it?

The main OS is on the ssd, but the steam install is on the 7200rpm.

So my question is could i just get a 1tb green drive and put steam on it or will that be to slow? Should i be investing in another ssd drive and settle for something faster with much less storage?

#2,248 ·
A green drive won't be that much slower than the 7200rpm, but it won't be much quieter either. Try changing the AAM settings on the drive.

#2,249 ·
Aside from the downgrade in speed with Green drives, it's the warranty that really turns me off. For example, WD Green drives come with 2-year warranties, whereas the WD Black drives come with 5-year warranties.

If you must have silence, and you're looking for an SSD with a decent amount of storage without breaking the bank, then I'd recommend the 512GB Crucial MX100. Or if that's too much, you can get the 256GB version for $95. They're not 1TB, but they are silent and reliable.

#2,250 ·
I do have a 6 year old and a 4 year green drive running 24/7 in a nas since day one, so I wouldn't worry too much about the warranty.

#2,255 ·
It's funny how some people just get railed by certain brands and others don't. I stopped buying WD in the 90's because every single one I ever owned died. A few of my Maxtor drives died too. All of my Seagate drives, that I still use, are working fine. I just will not buy WD anymore. Or their HGST brand either.

I'm sure one of you guys had the same experience, but with Seagate on the ****ter.

#2,256 ·
Yep, it's always my seagate drives that kick the bucket....although my original hybrid momentus XT is still going.

Generally though, whatever brand it is, HDDs tend to live longer than they're useful unless there's some major design flaw like those IBM travelstars.

#2,258 ·
This reminded me of something I read about a few months ago. It's just one company's findings, and the number of HDDs tested isn't fair per brand, but worth a quick read.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/what-hard-drive-should-i-buy/

I've had Western Digital Greens go bad on me eventually, but it took at least 2 years for it to happen, and none of them were a sudden crash, just a slowdown. They still function, but give errors when running tests, so I can't use them reliably anymore. I had plenty of time to back them up, thank goodness. 4TB of anime down the drain would throw me into despair.

#2,259 ·
This reminded me of something I read about a few months ago. It's just one company's findings, and the number of HDDs tested isn't fair per brand, but worth a quick read.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/what-hard-drive-should-i-buy/

I've had Western Digital Greens go bad on me eventually, but it took at least 2 years for it to happen, and none of them were a sudden crash, just a slowdown. They still function, but give errors when running tests, so I can't use them reliably anymore. I had plenty of time to back them up, thank goodness. 4TB of anime down the drain would throw me into despair.
The only drives I've ever had trouble with were WD Green drives and Seagate drives(any of them). I use backblaze for my online backup and have been very happy with them, pretty nice company. They really mean it when they say unlimited storage, I have nearly 4TB backed up with them. Heck, they even have tutorials on their site for building their storage pods if one were so inclined.

#2,260 ·
Seagate drives have always been garbage for me as well.

If anyone sees a deal for Ultra SF IV please be sure to post it. :)

Jason

#2,263 · (Edited)
We should probably start an Origin thread at some time...my Origin library is climbing (or just combine the two since there aren't many Origin posts anyway).

If anyone sees a deal for Ultra SF IV please be sure to post it. :)
This is the 20% coupon that's in my email that's good until Friday (GMG). I'm not sure if it works with SFIV, but no harm in trying: O7CNAE-Z1Y29P-QZAJ1I

I also noticed that Steam changed the name of SSFIV:AE to Ultra SFIV in my library even though I haven't bought it yet. I'm guessing they did it for compatibility sake but it threw me at first. I thought I got upgraded for free. lol I didn't... =\​

As for hard drives, I tend to stick to WD Black drives for my own builds. I do have an old Seagate that I use for backup so we'll see how long that lasts but I've gotten turned off Seagate in recent years.

#2,262 ·
I know this is origin related, but they now have a system in place allowing you to download and play full games for a certain # of hours for free as a demo. Kingdoms of Amalur and Battlefield 4 are available so far.

#2,276 ·
Hey Marafice...Darksiders 2 worked like a charm. All of the DLC codes came through too.

Question? Does your copy only work in widescreen letterbox format? Mine does. That makes for a very narrow field of vision on what is otherwise a beautiful game. The PC version of the game seems to have very limited video options. Did you experience the same? Or were you able to work around them? If so...can you share your solutions with me. Even with the video limitations, I still find myself playing this game on the PC now. It is graphically a stunning game on PC. Textures and shaders are vastly superior on PC. And after awhile the letterbox issue goes is not bothersome. Because I'm noticing more detail on the sides. It's only an issue when I pan up...when solving puzzles. Again thanks for your kind generosity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.