The Steam Thread - Page 88 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 409Likes

post #2611 of 3182 Old 09-05-2015, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
Anyone checking out Mad Max? I am liking that game.
Yeah been having a blast with it. Glad I snagged the pre-order for $20. Fun stuff
Arutha_conDoin likes this.

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 3182 Old 09-05-2015, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Got for mine for $34. Big patch for Arkham Knight so that is now playable again and looks fantastic

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides

Last edited by Arutha_conDoin; 09-06-2015 at 11:05 AM.
post #2613 of 3182 Old 09-06-2015, 07:11 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 385
I just picked it up, but don't know when I'll be able to play it. I'm travelling and the wifi is slooooooooow. Right now at 10 am it's about the highest it's ever been at 1.1mb. The good news is it's ONLY 24 gigs to download.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #2614 of 3182 Old 09-08-2015, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Let me just start by saying that I’ve never used Steam until a few days ago. I figured I’d give it a shot to see how it works with big picture mode + controller. It works well, but when I go to the store there’s only a few games shown in each category, such as “New” “Coming Soon” and whatever. When I go to genre it’s the same thing...there's maybe 15-20 games listed in each genre and that's it. When I’m not in big picture mode I can browse the entire Steam library. Why is this?
post #2615 of 3182 Old 09-10-2015, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio81 View Post
Let me just start by saying that I’ve never used Steam until a few days ago. I figured I’d give it a shot to see how it works with big picture mode + controller. It works well, but when I go to the store there’s only a few games shown in each category, such as “New” “Coming Soon” and whatever. When I go to genre it’s the same thing...there's maybe 15-20 games listed in each genre and that's it. When I’m not in big picture mode I can browse the entire Steam library. Why is this?
bump
post #2616 of 3182 Old 09-12-2015, 07:16 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

http://slickdeals.net/f/8099730-stea...-edition-12-50

Shadow of Mordor for 12.50, sold on uplay, but activates on steam

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #2617 of 3182 Old 09-21-2015, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Joined the Steam family, now to take advantage of all those great sales!
DaverJ and barrelbelly like this.
post #2618 of 3182 Old 09-22-2015, 01:10 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post
lol, it begins. You have my sympathy.
DaverJ, barrelbelly and dmarqueset like this.
post #2619 of 3182 Old 09-22-2015, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Your wallet will hate you for the Winter Holiday sale coming up.. Welcome to the club you soon to be broke addict brother Even if you set a limit there is a good chance you will go over because there is always just one more game that is only $5.99 and 7 games later you are done.
barrelbelly and W3Rman like this.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #2620 of 3182 Old 09-22-2015, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Yeah, I can feel it already. Bought Ghostbusters for $4 last night, had a lot of fun with it when it first came out and had a blast last night for the hour or so I played it.
post #2621 of 3182 Old 09-22-2015, 07:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 1700
Quote:
Yeah, I can feel it already. Bought Ghostbusters for $4 last night, had a lot of fun with it when it first came out and had a blast last night for the hour or so I played it.

Check out isthereanydeal.com. Don't limit yourself to just steam, there's lots of deals all over the place.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #2622 of 3182 Old 09-24-2015, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I see on slick Deal The Witcher 3 is only $21!
I can't post a link as I don't have enough post's yet
post #2623 of 3182 Old 09-24-2015, 07:50 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Greenman gaming and recently, for me, cdkeys.com has deals all the time. I was apprehensive about cdkeys since I never heard of it, but 2 transactions in and it's ok.
post #2624 of 3182 Old 09-24-2015, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Your wallet will hate you for the Winter Holiday sale coming up.. Welcome to the club you soon to be broke addict brother Even if you set a limit there is a good chance you will go over because there is always just one more game that is only $5.99 and 7 games later you are done.

Haahaa, yup tell him whats "in store" for the furture!

Hello, my name is W3Rman, and I am a Steam addict

just around 200 games in my backlog favorites list but I'll get there, but before I play my next game got a few more purchases to make... can't wait for the winter sale ... woohoo!

Believe It

#1 Calibration Disk / Best Support: Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk
#1 Calibration Software / Best Support: LightSpace CMS - Calibration Comparison
post #2625 of 3182 Old 09-24-2015, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
LMAO! So true. I feel Like Mike Corleone. Every time I say that's the last game I'll buy until I work down this inventory...it keeps sucking me back in! And it will only get worse for me when full VR hits the market.
Ripeer and W3Rman like this.
post #2626 of 3182 Old 09-29-2015, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
Greenman gaming and recently, for me, cdkeys.com has deals all the time. I was apprehensive about cdkeys since I never heard of it, but 2 transactions in and it's ok.
They're a gray market reseller much like g2a.

Here's sort of a neat article on it. I tend to stay away from sites like those since they're kind of scummy. Will you have a problem buying from them? Probably not since the keys themselves are usually legit...it's just a question of if you're okay with where they're getting them from/could be getting them from.

Here's a list of authorized resellers and you can add GMG to that list despite the Witcher 3 fiasco. They might be missing some others as well like gamestop.

Edit: And in addition to isthereanydeal.com, I'd also recommend http://www.cheapshark.com/

Last edited by moob; 09-29-2015 at 06:22 PM.
post #2627 of 3182 Old 09-29-2015, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by W3Rman View Post
Haahaa, yup tell him whats "in store" for the furture!

Hello, my name is W3Rman, and I am a Steam addict

just around 200 games in my backlog favorites list but I'll get there, but before I play my next game got a few more purchases to make... can't wait for the winter sale ... woohoo!

Believe It
1,200 games owned on Steam... 200 in my backlog would be amazing... but it's probably 4 times that many. Although a lot of the games I own are ones I've played in the past and didn't have on Steam
W3Rman likes this.

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _
post #2628 of 3182 Old 09-30-2015, 06:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The Steam Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post
They're a gray market reseller much like g2a.

Here's sort of a neat article on it. I tend to stay away from sites like those since they're kind of scummy. Will you have a problem buying from them? Probably not since the keys themselves are usually legit...it's just a question of if you're okay with where they're getting them from/could be getting them from.

Here's a list of authorized resellers and you can add GMG to that list despite the Witcher 3 fiasco. They might be missing some others as well like gamestop.

Edit: And in addition to isthereanydeal.com, I'd also recommend http://www.cheapshark.com/

I buy from kinguin all the time, never had an issue. Honestly I don't know what all the fuss is about with the keys, it's not like there's this back room full of keys that someone sneaked in and robbed. If they activate, presumably the dev got paid. Maybe they're not officially sanctioned sales in some way, but that's no different than console gamers reselling their games. Except they're almost certainly getting some sort of cut in the end....so whatever?

I have a nagging suspicion that it's often a way for devs to capture a few more sales from more price sensitive customers, without officially dropping the price for everyone.

Last edited by bd2003; 09-30-2015 at 07:35 PM.
post #2629 of 3182 Old 09-30-2015, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
I buy from kinguin all the time, never had an issue. Honestly I don't know what all the fuss is about with the keys, it's not like there's this back room full of keys that someone sneaks robbed. If they activate, presumably the dev got paid. Maybe they're not officially sanctioned sales in some way, but that's no different than console gamers reselling their games. Except they're almost certainly getting some sort of cut in the end....so whatever?

I have a nagging suspicion that it's often a way for devs to capture a few more sales from more price sensitive customers, without officially dropping the price for everyone.
We've already seen what could happen as developers/publishers have revoked thousands of keys several times.

Like I said, if you don't care where the key comes from, whether it be from another region (less malicious possibility) or someone posing as a reviewer to get free codes and then resell them or even keys purchased with stolen credit cards, then that's fine. But to me, it's the equivalent of buying something off the back of someone's truck. Could it be legit? Sure. What are the chances it's legit? That's up to you to decide. As far as I'm concerned, there's very little difference between buying from these gray market resellers and pirating the game. You really have no idea what the source is or whether or not the publisher has been paid.
post #2630 of 3182 Old 09-30-2015, 12:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post
We've already seen what could happen as developers/publishers have revoked thousands of keys several times.

Like I said, if you don't care where the key comes from, whether it be from another region (less malicious possibility) or someone posing as a reviewer to get free codes and then resell them or even keys purchased with stolen credit cards, then that's fine. But to me, it's the equivalent of buying something off the back of someone's truck. Could it be legit? Sure. What are the chances it's legit? That's up to you to decide. As far as I'm concerned, there's very little difference between buying from these gray market resellers and pirating the game. You really have no idea what the source is or whether or not the publisher has been paid.

There's no way of knowing a physical game you buy on eBay wasn't stolen either. They've all got the ability to region lock, send out timed access to reviewers, etc. Often you get the key in the form of a pic of the printed key from a physical copy, so quite a few of those keys have to come from discs they couldn't sell. The things you mention can nowhere near account for the massive number of keys out there. I'm sure some of them are promotional like GPU bundles where reselling it violates some agreement on some level, but the digital marketplaces have already eroded so many consumer rights and protections that I'm hardly going to lose sleep over it. I mean the only reason you can't resell your digital games is because they actually have the power to stop you through a centralized system. That doesn't mean that having that power is right or fair, and I'm certainly not going to stand up for their interests instead of mine. I'm still not 100% comfortable with the idea that I'm merely "licensing" these games at the convenience of the publisher instead of outright owning a transferable right to play the game.

In the end those keys grant you the license to play, and that's what I'm buying. Presumably they've been paid at some point on some level for a legit key, but if they're not competent enough to secure the distribution of their keys I don't see why I should feel guilty about that.

Last edited by bd2003; 09-30-2015 at 07:36 PM.
post #2631 of 3182 Old 10-02-2015, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

To bypass any of that risk I usually just wait a few months/a year and then buy games for the same price as what you'll find on those gray market sites at release.

The one exception to that would be BF4 but even that I got on sale for I think $40 at launch. Oh, and Her Story but that's because that was only $5 or $6. With so many games to play and so little time I can usually just turn to my backlog and wait for new releases to drop in price. Though you do bring up a good point about not being able to resell games. I usually take that into account when I'm buying a game. $60 or even $40 for a single-player game that I'll only play once and that I can't resell is a tough pill to swallow. But if I can get hundreds of hours out of it, like with a BF4, then I don't mind. For single-player titles, I usually won't pay more than $25, and even then it'd have to be a game I really want to pay that much.

Last edited by moob; 10-02-2015 at 04:47 PM.
post #2632 of 3182 Old 10-02-2015, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 126
For me:

if a game is 5.99 or 59.99 I think least of this, if I got the buck i'm gonna get it, and when i get around to it i'm gonna play it. I don't care it the 5.99 is 80hrs and the 59.99 is only 8hrs, neither do I care if the 59.99 was somewhat a disappointment and the 5.99 was terrific and unforgettable, I want inside the imagination of man, to embark on a journey, to do the impossible, to game on!!!

... "here today, tomorrow perchance the undiscovered country"

... life's too short to pass up on a good time ...... gimmee some ... wooohooo!

#1 Calibration Disk / Best Support: Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk
#1 Calibration Software / Best Support: LightSpace CMS - Calibration Comparison
post #2633 of 3182 Old 10-02-2015, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I go by the law of 75. 75% off with 75 metacritic = sold. So yeah, I have way too many games, but my inventory has lots of variety, and I have stumbled upon some great games I would have normally overlooked. Others not so much, but if the price is right, I'll try the genre.
post #2634 of 3182 Old 10-03-2015, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I got a R9 290X the other day and played some Mad Max on Ultra with in 1080P and holy crap was that game looking awesome! The details from to Ultra were pretty noticeable I thought. Defiantly more debris and sand flying around in it. I was fortunate to get a Sapphire R9 290X Tri-cooler from a facebook friend. It's a bit louder on 100% fans then my XFX 280X was, but I run it at 40% fans and barely hear it and idle GPU is 31C which I am very happy with. Damn big card though. Glad I was able to push out my Drive bays a 1/2 inch to give me some room for it in my case
barrelbelly likes this.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
post #2635 of 3182 Old 10-04-2015, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Out of curiosity, anyone else in the first wave of Steam Controller preorders? I remembered that shipping was said to be in October for mine, so I looked it up and see that the expected ship date is October 16. I suspect I'll prefer the Xbox One controller (the analog stick position is why I don't like PS4 controllers), but I was still curious enough to put in an order.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #2636 of 3182 Old 10-04-2015, 07:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
Out of curiosity, anyone else in the first wave of Steam Controller preorders? I remembered that shipping was said to be in October for mine, so I looked it up and see that the expected ship date is October 16. I suspect I'll prefer the Xbox One controller (the analog stick position is why I don't like PS4 controllers), but I was still curious enough to put in an order.
I don't think I'm in the first wave. How do you look it up?

post #2637 of 3182 Old 10-04-2015, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

If you go to account details, then purchase history you should see "View shipment details" for the controller, where it'll tell you estimated shipping date.

post #2638 of 3182 Old 10-06-2015, 01:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
If you go to account details, then purchase history you should see "View shipment details" for the controller, where it'll tell you estimated shipping date.

Says nov 10th for me. I didn't preorder until the rocket league freebie.

post #2639 of 3182 Old 10-15-2015, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like I'll have my Steam Controller sometime tomorrow based on Fedex.

Also, looks like the early reviews are kind of what I expected - an interesting experience, but not always better than a regular controller.

post #2640 of 3182 Old 10-16-2015, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

The 'd-pad' feels far better than I ever would have expected, but I have to say, whoever designed the plastic injection mold for this controller needs to be fired immediately. Curving up into my hands is a terrible design. It's not just that I'm not used to this, it's that the only way to make it comfortable takes my hands too far away from the buttons. Some other stupidity includes the fact that the two fancy touchpads that are central on the controller are useless in Steam Big Picture. You can only navigate with the analog stick and the face buttons.

Other than that, I'm still getting used to it and couldn't say much about it in-game.

Also, it works horribly outside of Steam. Kodi lets me navigate using the analog stick or D-pad, but I can't press the A button to do anything in it. Retroarch has similar issues.

Last edited by jhoff80; 10-16-2015 at 03:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HTPC Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page