The Steam Thread - Page 94 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 395Likes

Old 01-24-2016, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 3036
CD Keys has Steam codes for Batman: Arkham Knight (now patched) for $15, or the Premium version w/ Season Pass for $20.

I'm in for the Premium - hope my aging PC can handle it!

"My advice: don't spend money on therapy. Spend it in a record store." – Wim Wenders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2016, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
CD Keys has Steam codes for Batman: Arkham Knight (now patched) for $15, or the Premium version w/ Season Pass for $20.

I'm in for the Premium - hope my aging PC can handle it!
I remember snagging this for about $20 when it first got pulled from Steam. Was on G2A I think. People were dumping spare codes left and right lol. I still need to finish ALL of the other Arkham games anyway.
DaverJ likes this.

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _
Old 01-24-2016, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marafice Eye View Post
I remember snagging this for about $20 when it first got pulled from Steam. Was on G2A I think. People were dumping spare codes left and right lol. I still need to finish ALL of the other Arkham games anyway.
Yes you do.

So far Arkham Knight plays really well on my older PC. I can set to locked 30fps, which is solid and looks better than Xbox One, or I can do 60fps with Adaptive V-sync. My rig can't maintain 60, but usually above 30 and so far no excessive screen tearing using Adaptive. 60 w/ standard (non-adaptive) v-sync is a no-go because it bounces between 30 and 60 -- very stuttery, so I'm glad for the Adaptive option.

There's a lot of video options which I don't turn on because they are beyond the VRAM of my GTX 670. No SLI, either.

But so far no lockups, crashes, or any major glitches. And now that everything on the PC is sorted out, I think this game is much better than the negative buzz that seems to surround it.

"My advice: don't spend money on therapy. Spend it in a record store." – Wim Wenders
Old 01-24-2016, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Damn you @DaverJ . Your coupon code got me thinking for Far Cry Primal. Luckily I resisted, but then I saw The Division was $38 and almost double dipped, but stopped myself. Holding off on any major big purchases for a bit. Still trying to get a job before I can back to buying games like I used to. Until then It's cheap games only (any platform). I did manage Rogue Legacy on the PS4 for $4.99
barrelbelly likes this.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
Old 01-25-2016, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Yes you do.

So far Arkham Knight plays really well on my older PC. I can set to locked 30fps, which is solid and looks better than Xbox One, or I can do 60fps with Adaptive V-sync. My rig can't maintain 60, but usually above 30 and so far no excessive screen tearing using Adaptive. 60 w/ standard (non-adaptive) v-sync is a no-go because it bounces between 30 and 60 -- very stuttery, so I'm glad for the Adaptive option.

There's a lot of video options which I don't turn on because they are beyond the VRAM of my GTX 670. No SLI, either.

But so far no lockups, crashes, or any major glitches. And now that everything on the PC is sorted out, I think this game is much better than the negative buzz that seems to surround it.
Daver,

I've been out of pc gaming for several years but I just got a new system to be ready for oculus and an Acer Predator x34 21:9 100hz gsync monitor.
DaverJ and Arutha_conDoin like this.

xbl/gamecenter: leff4
psn/twitter: ileff
my app: video poker clock
Old 01-25-2016, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ileff View Post
I've been out of pc gaming for several years but I just got a new system to be ready for oculus and an Acer Predator x34 21:9 100hz gsync monitor.
Totally jealous - let's hear about this new rig!!! I'm starting to think about a new build myself.

Did you play Arkham Knight on the PS4? If so, I recommend re-playing it via the currently patched PC version. I played for hours last night, and thought "oh yeah, this is why I love PC gaming". Great game, and the (now-fixed) technology is stunning.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Totally jealous - let's hear about this new rig!!! I'm starting to think about a new build myself.

Did you play Arkham Knight on the PS4? If so, I recommend re-playing it via the currently patched PC version. I played for hours last night, and thought "oh yeah, this is why I love PC gaming". Great game, and the (now-fixed) technology is stunning.
I need to check this game out again now that I have that R9 290X card. Should see a nice improvement with it.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
Old 01-25-2016, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Daver,

^ swt

I have been waiting many years to upgrade my HPZR30w (30", IPS , 1600p)

Gonna wait until:

> 34" - 40"
> DP 1.3
> HDMI 2.0
> 2160p (1.77:1) / ????p (21:9)
> gSync
> 120/144Hz
> Curved
> IPS/PLS , AMVA/MVA

Its gotta be a true upgrade with all the above minimum requirements to get me to spend $1,000-$3500 on a computer monitor

We're getting real close to this now ... it won't be long ...
Arutha_conDoin likes this.

#1 Calibration Disk / Best Support: Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk
#1 Calibration Software / Best Support: LightSpace CMS - Calibration Comparison

Last edited by W3Rman; 01-25-2016 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
let's hear about this new rig!!! I'm starting to think about a new build myself.
Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz
ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING
16GB DDR4 2666MHz
1000W Corsair HX1000i
SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 950 PRO)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (ASUS Strix Edition)
Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler

https://www.instagram.com/p/BAtHsJbkazU/
DaverJ and W3Rman like this.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:15 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 384
@ileff I slightly regret not waiting a little longer for the x34 monitor. How did yours turn out?

I got the xb271hu. The 4k version (xb271hk) is currently in stock at newegg, and I'm tempted to get one of those too. An option is to sell my hu, but I'm not looking forward to losing the money on it.

So far I'm underwhelmed by 1440p/gsync. The best things I can report is that its much more vibrant and natural looking than my old dell 2405. That and half the depth.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 304
I know a lot of people love Arkham Knight, but honestly, the Batmobile ruined the game for me. I detest it.

Waiting for Rise of the Tomb Raider on PC at the end of the week though.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
Old 01-26-2016, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
@ileff I slightly regret not waiting a little longer for the x34 monitor. How did yours turn out?
love it

i got lucky in the quality control lottery. no issues and i got the full 100hz overclock. in the reviews it seems 50/50 you'll get an issue but maybe that's because a lot of satisfied people don't bother to post.

the curve is a lot more subtle than it looks in promotional pics. in actual use it might as well be flat.

34" 21:9 is not quite as big as I had imagined. In a couple of years 40" 2160p 21:9 might be the holy grail.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
34" 21:9 is not quite as big as I had imagined. In a couple of years 40" 2160p 21:9 might be the holy grail.
That’s my issue; these monitors need to get bigger as I don’t have my nose touching the screen. I want a 50+ inch G-Sync panel, and I don’t care how much it costs (within some reason, of course).

Nice to see the 950 Pro in your rig. Samsung must be making a killing on those from us crazy enthusiasts.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
oohhhh... want to replay that on PC too. One of my favorites (THE favorite?) of last year.

Maybe I'll get a new NVIDIA card to get in on the ROTTR freebie. Which GTX 970 should I look at?

Old 01-26-2016, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Newegg lists several manufacturers with prices under $310, the free game and free shipping too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DaverJ likes this.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:36 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quote:
love it

i got lucky in the quality control lottery. no issues and i got the full 100hz overclock. in the reviews it seems 50/50 you'll get an issue but maybe that's because a lot of satisfied people don't bother to post.

the curve is a lot more subtle than it looks in promotional pics. in actual use it might as well be flat.

Have you tried any games yet? How does the 980 ti handle what you've thrown at it? If you have any experience with 3 monitor gaming, how does it compare to that. I read someone else say it's very close to the same.

I'm still considering trading up to the x34. I was dumb to jump on the 27", but I was watching stores for 2 months waiting for stock to come in and jumped when I finally saw it, and was lucky to even get it. But, I really wanted the x34 more. I'm almost certain I won't be able to sell mine locally. I don't think people are big pc gamers around me. So, I'll have to auction it.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Old 01-26-2016, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Well ****. Another Space RTS game I'll be picking up down the line! @lord_zath have you seen this one yet?

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
Old 01-26-2016, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
Well ****. Another Space RTS game I'll be picking up down the line! @lord_zath have you seen this one yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWteWul9cBE
Homeworld with a Warhammer 40k paint job? I'm in.

Also for those looking for good deals, Humble Bundle's latest is great. Firaxis pack

Marafice Eye <--- All gamertags listed there - Twitch TV Channel YouTube Channel
__________________________________________________ _
Old 01-26-2016, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Using unreal 4 engine too

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
Old 01-27-2016, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWteWul9cBE
I haven't heard of it, no. As soon as I saw it, I immediately thought of how epic a Star Wars mod would be on it .

And while we're talking about PCs, I just recently built one with parts I purchased over Black Friday. Check it out: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/c7LD4D

Holding the fort on old games that play the same as the new ones, minus the $400 price tag.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Zath View Post
I haven't heard of it, no. As soon as I saw it, I immediately thought of how epic a Star Wars mod would be on it .

And while we're talking about PCs, I just recently built one with parts I purchased over Black Friday. Check it out: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/c7LD4D
Awesome build! I bet that thing is tearing games a new one

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
Old 01-28-2016, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

only six more days for american truck simulator to launch

Old 01-30-2016, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Alright @jhoff80 - you are a couple hours in. How is RotTR on PC?

Old 01-31-2016, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
only six more days for american truck simulator to launch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu32OisFgWI
Looks good so far. I just watched a Keralis video doing a quick overview of the game. I enjoyed Euro truck and I'll probably pick this one up too.

XBOX Live Gamertag: budracin88
Steam ID: Budracin88
PSN ID: Budracin8808
Old 01-31-2016, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Alright @jhoff80 - you are a couple hours in. How is RotTR on PC?
Haven't played it on Xbox to compare but it's running really nicely on the PC. Running at 1080p, with an i7-4770, 16GB of RAM, and a GTX970, I set it to the 'very high' preset with no slowdowns yet. The 'high' preset was recommended, but so far there's been no downside to 'very high'. To my eye, it also seems that the prerendered cutscenes are lower in graphical fidelity than the in-game engine.

As for the game itself, I've been spending a bit of time hunting in Siberia so far mostly, trying to get reacclimated to using the bow. If you've played on the Xbox you probably know what to expect but it feels like an action movie, albeit one with fewer quicktime events than the previous game.

My biggest complaint so far is that they do a terrible job (at least so far) of explaining the microtransaction / card system. I had three bonuses from the preorder, but haven't touched that at all otherwise. If there's an in-game way to earn the cards, maybe I'll do something with that, but otherwise, it'll probably be ignored.

I wouldn't want to do it the first playthrough (though it appears it wouldn't have let me anyway), but it sounds like maybe if you're doing a second playthrough, you might actually be interested in the endurance mode once you re-unlock levels. This article at least makes it sound pretty interesting: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...ce-dlc-review/
DaverJ likes this.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80

Last edited by jhoff80; 01-31-2016 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Haven't played it on Xbox to compare but it's running really nicely on the PC. Running at 1080p, with an i7-4770, 16GB of RAM, and a GTX970...
Cool, thanks for the thoughts! I'm wondering how it will play on my older system (i5-3570k, 16GB, GTX670 x2 SLI) - I know I won't be able to crank up the visuals, but wondering if I could hit 60fps on medium?

Quote:
My biggest complaint so far is that they do a terrible job (at least so far) of explaining the microtransaction / card system. I had three bonuses from the preorder, but haven't touched that at all otherwise. If there's an in-game way to earn the cards, maybe I'll do something with that, but otherwise, it'll probably be ignored.
Yes, they don't really explain it well. But they are pretty cool - you use them in the extra modes; time-trial speed runs or modified sections of the game for points/leaderboards. You can equip cards that give negative or positive abilities for a run - the negative cards make it harder in numerous ways, but give bigger bonus points, and positive cards make it easier but subtract from the overall score.

Not only do they not explain it well, but the menus for these modes are a bit confusing at first. But after a couple runs, you get it - and learn what cards work best for maximum score for each of the runs.

Old 01-31-2016, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Awesome build! I bet that thing is tearing games a new one
Thanks! I have yet to hear the fans spool up with everything max. Coming from a 7 year old gaming laptop, that's crazy!!!

Holding the fort on old games that play the same as the new ones, minus the $400 price tag.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 250
excited to see Tomb raider on the PC but not paying what their asking for it here in Canada. Nope. Besides, I'm still playing fallout. Will wait for price drop or deal on a key.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:12 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Dude, fight the power. Just buy a new video card and get the game for free. It's so simple.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Doom is up on cdkeys for sale. Very tempting and I love Doom. May need to pick up the previous ones again on the next steam sale

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
Sponsored Links
Advertisement