The Steam Thread - Page 97 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 396Likes

Old 03-08-2016, 06:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 359
This red vs green talk is OT for the thread but the only reason I do not currently have xfire 390x's is because AMD dropped the ball on having HDMI 2.0 on board and the DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 adapters that are 4k60 capable are iffy (work for some but not others).

- Jason

HT = JVC RS40 / Lumagen Radiance / Vivitek 1186 /@133"/ Samsung 50" Plasma / Denon x5200 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" subs x2 / CV 15" sub / Sony BDP s1000ES / Yamaha DV-S5860 / Toshiba HD-A3 / PureAV PF31
Media Room = Vizio 4K 70" lcd/Denon x4100/Audiosource Amp 100/Klipsch speakers/Velodyne subs/Sony BDP s780/PS4/X1/WiiU/PS3/360/Wii/Game PC/Multi-Arcade My HT SLIDESHOW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2016, 05:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has anyone else tried the -fulldesktopres launch parameter for Steam on a 4k screen? It doesn't seem to do anything for me. The point being to have big picture render in 4k. Not sure why Steam claims to be the living room PC gaming solution without supporting 4k more naturally.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post
It's also the main reason I won't. Almost every game that's been released recently with GameWorks has been utter garbage on release (AC: Unity, Arkham Knight, Far Cry 4 etc). It would be somewhat understandable if it were only garbage on AMD cards, but it's also garbage on Nvidia cards. GameWorks, like every other proprietary technology is terrible for the consumer. And I have a feeling you'll be seeing less games using GameWorks going forward as a direct result of all the backlash.

As for AMD creating alternatives, they do. But unlike Nvidia, they're not trying to stifle the competition. Mantle became Vulkan. FreeSync uses VESA's Adaptive-Sync standard as opposed to G-Sync's proprietary technology (Intel has announced support for Adaptive-Sync). TressFX was open-source and became PureHair in Rise of the Tomb Raider, which was well optimized for all cards, unlike, say, HairWorks.

One company seems to be trying to deliver the best possible user experience regardless of the hardware you're using, while the other seems to want to cripple the experience if you're not using their hardware. I was a long-time Nvidia user, but in recent years they've turned me off completely. I should have bought a 970 when I upgraded last year but went with the 390 just because I didn't want to support Nvidia anymore. At the time it may not have been the best decision, but after seeing more and more benchmarks for recent titles, it seems as though AMD has turned a corner on their DX11 drivers as it's usually outperforming the 970. And then there are those early DX12 benchmarks that take it to a whole other level comparatively. AMD regained a tiny amount of market share last quarter. Let's hope that trend continues as I think we can all agree a monopoly isn't good for anyone.

As for Windows Store, I'll be avoiding it at all costs until they address some serious issues: http://www.howtogeek.com/243012/why-...windows-store/

It's just a coincidence....lots of those are Ubisoft games that are always a wreck on PC regardless of which card you use. But the division makes heavy use of gameworks, including the HBAO+ that is supposedly wrecking GoW....and it's performing *way* better on AMD right now. Either way I don't think it's NVIDIAs responsibility to care about anyone but NVIDIA's users. It's up to the devs to ensure that they're game works well for everyone. AMD would be doing the exact same thing if their market position was better, but because they're so on the ropes they're appealing to pity and smearing their competition out of desperation. It is like the most pathetic corporate stance I've ever seen, like could you imagine Pepsi trying to convince the world that Coke was poison and saying that they should share their recipe for the better of the entire soda drinking world....ugh.

I'm glad to see that Intel's GPU tech is finally at a high enough performance/mm2 that they could make a killer GPU if they ever decided to package it into a discrete card. I agree we need competition but I'd rather see a strong competitor push NVIDIA harder than a weak competitor try and drag them down to their level.

Anyway....I know it's not steam, but the division is awesome....anyone else pick it up?

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Old 03-09-2016, 09:29 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 384
I'm still waiting on gamestop to send my collectors edition. I may have to cancel it. I put the order in when every other store stopped taking orders. I have the regular ps4 version waiting at home. I'll be back for a week to be playing a marathon session by Saturday or Sunday.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post
It's just a coincidence....lots of those are Ubisoft games that are always a wreck on PC regardless of which card you use. But the division makes heavy use of gameworks, including the HBAO+ that is supposedly wrecking GoW....and it's performing *way* better on AMD right now. Either way I don't think it's NVIDIAs responsibility to care about anyone but NVIDIA's users. It's up to the devs to ensure that they're game works well for everyone. AMD would be doing the exact same thing if their market position was better, but because they're so on the ropes they're appealing to pity and smearing their competition out of desperation. It is like the most pathetic corporate stance I've ever seen, like could you imagine Pepsi trying to convince the world that Coke was poison and saying that they should share their recipe for the better of the entire soda drinking world....ugh.

I'm glad to see that Intel's GPU tech is finally at a high enough performance/mm2 that they could make a killer GPU if they ever decided to package it into a discrete card. I agree we need competition but I'd rather see a strong competitor push NVIDIA harder than a weak competitor try and drag them down to their level.

Anyway....I know it's not steam, but the division is awesome....anyone else pick it up?
Playing it on Xbox one. I couldn't find a code for pc that was cheap enough.I was hoping th grab it for $30 or less but everything I saw was around $45

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
Old 03-09-2016, 12:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
Playing it on Xbox one. I couldn't find a code for pc that was cheap enough.I was hoping th grab it for $30 or less but everything I saw was around $45

Yeah that's what I paid.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah that's what I paid.
I'd rather take that $45 and put it towards the season pass. I'm enjoying the game and I like what they were showing for what was coming in both free and paid

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
Old 03-09-2016, 10:27 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

And the CE was canceled...no explanation. Could have done that like 6 months ago. What a shytshow gamestop is. I don't know why anyone would choose to order anything from them. You pay full price and shipping....get with the times. This ends my relations with that company. The only reason I even had this transaction was because all other outlets were sold out. Of course gamestop was too, they're just too shytty to stop taking orders, or tell you they don't have enough product.

I just grabbed it off gmg. I don't think I'll be downloading to my laptop with my tether, so I'll wait till the weekend when I'm home. Then I get to double the dowload, desktop and laptop.
W3Rman likes this.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
And the CE was canceled...no explanation. Could have done that like 6 months ago. What a shytshow gamestop is. I don't know why anyone would choose to order anything from them. You pay full price and shipping....get with the times. This ends my relations with that company. The only reason I even had this transaction was because all other outlets were sold out. Of course gamestop was too, they're just too shytty to stop taking orders, or tell you they don't have enough product.

I just grabbed it off gmg. I don't think I'll be downloading to my laptop with my tether, so I'll wait till the weekend when I'm home. Then I get to double the dowload, desktop and laptop.
The last time I ever bought from gamestop was when I preordered starcraft II. Even though they had copies in stock, they didn't honor my preorder because I didn't pay in full. I was like what's the point of a preorder if not to ensure I get one when it comes out? I told him to give me my 5 dollars back and I never set foot in a gamestop since.
Arutha_conDoin and W3Rman like this.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 3039
I spent so much money at Electronics Boutique/EBGames/Gamestop. Back in the day it used to be such a good store: they stocked the shelves with the best stuff, they knew their customers personally, and the managers and employees had the same passion for gaming as the customers.

Then something happened at some point. These days they are always out of what is hot (if you didn't pre-order), they have no idea who their regular customers are, and the workers don't really seem to care about anything.

I don't know if it's the changing times or what happened (read: corporate greed), but it's a shame to see such a great company in the past go downhill so far. I would be fine if I never go back into a Gamestop again.
JoeNc, breezy2012 and W3Rman like this.

"My advice: don't spend money on therapy. Spend it in a record store." – Wim Wenders
Old 03-10-2016, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 191
I worked at Electronics Boutique during my first year of college back in 2001. I told the manager that it was a bit of a dream of mine to work there given my passion for video games, and his response was that “dreams turn into nightmares.” He said it jokingly, but it really was a nightmare at that particular store. No coordination, customers would steal stuff on a regular basis (mostly the used games that were on display in the middle of the store), and the whole shopping mall environment is terrible after an extended period of time.

Last edited by MSmith83; 03-10-2016 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:34 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post
I worked at Electronics Boutique during my first year of college back in 2001. I told the manager that it was a bit of a dream of mine to work there given my passion for video games, and his response was that “dreams turn into nightmares.” He said it jokingly, but it really was a nightmare at that particular store. No coordination, customers would steal stuff on a regular basis (mostly the used games that were on display in the middle of the store), and the whole shopping mall environment is terrible after an extended period of time.
EB was also the first place just dedicated to games. It was a kind of romance for all us nerds at the time. I loved it then. They really did things for the customer then. You could return pc games. Of course that was a stupid policy for them, not us. Eventually everyone starts taking advantage of their good qualities and it all goes away.

I'm sure what you say was happening at all EB stores.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 109
I loved EB Games. Their return policy was awesome - buy a new game, don't like it, return it for full refund. Top Gun for PS2 sucked so badly that I hit full afterburner on the way to return it. Exchanged for Ace Combat 4, and it's been love ever since...
Arutha_conDoin likes this.

Holding the fort on old games that play the same as the new ones, minus the $400 price tag.
Old 03-11-2016, 12:55 AM

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 95
My local chain at the time was called Babbage's. Great store, great employees, great return policy.

I miss those days,
Old 03-12-2016, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have a problem.

A few years ago I picked up Civ 5 in a humble bundle. I just put together a gaming pc and fired it up Wednesday night. Wednesday night I was up to 2:30 am. Friday night I was up to 2:00 am. I am a 41 year old professional. What is wrong with me? These civ games have always grabbed me like no other game.
barrelbelly likes this.
Old 03-12-2016, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds perfectly normal to me. 41 as well and gaming is one of my major hobbies.

barrelbelly likes this.

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
Old 03-12-2016, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by jholzbauer View Post
I have a problem.

A few years ago I picked up Civ 5 in a humble bundle. I just put together a gaming pc and fired it up Wednesday night. Wednesday night I was up to 2:30 am. Friday night I was up to 2:00 am. I am a 41 year old professional. What is wrong with me? These civ games have always grabbed me like no other game.
I feel your joy! But I don't quite know how to deliver this message to you. Oh well...it doesn't go away with age. Except for the occasional consulting gig, I'm retired and still gaming my "A" off! And the beauty is, now I don't care if it's 2:00 am or the Blue Jays start to Bitch & fight in the morning. These old magic fingers are just going and going. So just accept the love Civilization is throwing back at you. And keep grinning from ear to ear with each conquest & cheevo.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:10 PM

Thinking about going for the later versions of GRID this week. I loved the original.

Anybody here have a take on Grid 2 or Grid Autosport (as they compare to GRID)?
Old 03-13-2016, 01:13 AM

I should have waited for a reply.

Grid 2 sucks donkey balls.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 359
I suggest staying away from Grid Autosport, it's broken for many (crapshoot). If I could gift my key I would because I have never been able to actually play it properly.

I have attempted to play it on various hardware (Intel, AMD cpu/gpu, Nvidia) with various drivers and it always stutters no matter what I do (there is a good bit of discussion about it out there).

I just tried to play it again the other day on a 980ti and the stutter remains (no game settings seem to have any impact, even tried it on low settings at 720p).

Tried it with a gtx 780 oc, R9 390x, gtx 980ti oc, gtx 750ti, R9 270x, gtx 650, Radeon 7850... no dice.

I had no issues running Grid or Grid 2.

I am about to grab "Rise of the Tomb Raider" even though I have it on Xone (about 1/2 way through it).
I am very curious about the DX12 addition but not sure if it's just a gimmick at this point (them adding it to this DX11 based game).
Some make claims that it works and runs better while others say it just causes issues and crashes.
--- Update: It actually runs worse on DX12 vs DX11.

jholzbauer, no worries, I'm just about 47, often game while my wife and son are in bed and will be gaming until I no longer can.

- Jason
DaverJ and Arutha_conDoin like this.

HT = JVC RS40 / Lumagen Radiance / Vivitek 1186 /@133"/ Samsung 50" Plasma / Denon x5200 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" subs x2 / CV 15" sub / Sony BDP s1000ES / Yamaha DV-S5860 / Toshiba HD-A3 / PureAV PF31
Media Room = Vizio 4K 70" lcd/Denon x4100/Audiosource Amp 100/Klipsch speakers/Velodyne subs/Sony BDP s780/PS4/X1/WiiU/PS3/360/Wii/Game PC/Multi-Arcade My HT SLIDESHOW

Last edited by DaGamePimp; 03-13-2016 at 07:18 AM.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
I have a problem.

A large percentage of adults of all ages routinely enjoy superhero and mindless action films, as well as worship brain-dead sports stars. I rank PC gaming as more mature entertainment than those. Not that there's anything generally wrong with those other things.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
I have a problem.

I figure it this way. We could be out at the bar at 2am spending money, maybe doing something stupid, and feelings like a** in the morning or we can spend the night gaming. I remember when I'd put so many hours into Battlefield 3. I'd be in my office and hear a helicopter outside and would actually catch myself thinking I needed to switch to a anti-aircraft launcher.
stevew24963 and W3Rman like this.

XBOX Live Gamertag: budracin88
Steam ID: Budracin88
PSN ID: Budracin8808
Old 03-13-2016, 09:18 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy2012 View Post
I should have waited for a reply.

Grid 2 sucks donkey balls.

Lol, I'm glad I saw your posts. I just saw the sale and was slightly tempted. Those low prices always raise the level of temptation for a game I have very low interest in.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Old 03-13-2016, 09:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post
I suggest staying away from Grid Autosport, it's broken for many (crapshoot). If I could gift my key I would because I have never been able to actually play it properly.

I have attempted to play it on various hardware (Intel, AMD cpu/gpu, Nvidia) with various drivers and it always stutters no matter what I do (there is a good bit of discussion about it out there).

I just tried to play it again the other day on a 980ti and the stutter remains (no game settings seem to have any impact, even tried it on low settings at 720p).

Tried it with a gtx 780 oc, R9 390x, gtx 980ti oc, gtx 750ti, R9 270x, gtx 650, Radeon 7850... no dice.

I had no issues running Grid or Grid 2.

I am about to grab "Rise of the Tomb Raider" even though I have it on Xone (about 1/2 way through it).
I am very curious about the DX12 addition but not sure if it's just a gimmick at this point (them adding it to this DX11 based game).
Some make claims that it works and runs better while others say it just causes issues and crashes.
--- Update: It actually runs worse on DX12 vs DX11.

jholzbauer, no worries, I'm just about 47, often game while my wife and son are in bed and will be gaming until I no longer can.

- Jason

Yeah the dx12 renderer is apparently a little slower than dx11 if you have a fast CPU, but still does wonders if you have a slow CPU.

They just added that crazy high quality VXAO that makes it another game that can't do max at 60fps on my 980 Ti, so I'm going to table it until Pascal in a few months.

Old 03-13-2016, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

@DaGamePimp if I remember right you are on the west coast too! What sucks right now is my new job is on swing shift (love my new job though) so by the time i get home (1230 am) alkyl my friends are usually in bed. It takes about 2 hours for me to unwind before I can crawl into bed.

The Division had not been good for me with the schedule, but I guess I'll need Rio find some more single player games.

In the bright side I'm eye balling New LG 34" ultrawide monitor (freesync, 2560x1080) to start gaming I with my pc

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
Old 03-13-2016, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Picked up Sonic All Star Racing Transformed, it is always fun to go back to older games and see how they truly were meant to run. 1080p 60fps locked, vs 1024x576 30fps with drops is like night and day, was a great game at the Wii U launch that got a lot of playtime on my end, not to tackle it again without the poor tech holding it back, no regrets selling my Wii U for Steam Credit.

Starting to consider selling my PS4 at this point too since I never touch it anymore... Uncharted 4 and maybe FFXV are all that remain keeping me from selling it right now.
W3Rman likes this.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 3039
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post
Picked up Sonic All Star Racing Transformed, it is always fun to go back to older games and see how they truly were meant to run. 1080p 60fps locked, vs 1024x576 30fps with drops is like night and day, was a great game at the Wii U launch that got a lot of playtime on my end, not to tackle it again without the poor tech holding it back, no regrets selling my Wii U for Steam Credit.

Starting to consider selling my PS4 at this point too since I never touch it anymore... Uncharted 4 and maybe FFXV are all that remain keeping me from selling it right now.
My Wii U is boxed in the closet, haven't missed it at all. I had some brief fun with it, but I tried to adjust to that controller and couldn't. Plus it was just too under-powered. The PS4 is still hooked up, but I'm trying to remember if I've even turned it on in 2016 yet? Also holding out for Uncharted 4, and who knows, maybe I'll fall in love with that console again. But I don't miss the fan noise when playing an intensive game.

I didn't expect to like the Xbox One as much as I do, but it seems to have everything I want in a console. Even if it isn't "winning". And MS seems to be supporting it well, thankfully. Although disappointed this console gen can't handle 60fps like PCs of the same era can and do at 1080p.

"My advice: don't spend money on therapy. Spend it in a record store." – Wim Wenders
Old 03-13-2016, 09:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post
My Wii U is boxed in the closet, haven't missed it at all. I had some brief fun with it, but I tried to adjust to that controller and couldn't. Plus it was just too under-powered. The PS4 is still hooked up, but I'm trying to remember if I've even turned it on in 2016 yet? Also holding out for Uncharted 4, and who knows, maybe I'll fall in love with that console again. But I don't miss the fan noise when playing an intensive game.

I didn't expect to like the Xbox One as much as I do, but it seems to have everything I want in a console. Even if it isn't "winning". And MS seems to be supporting it well, thankfully. Although disappointed this console gen can't handle 60fps like PCs of the same era can and do at 1080p.
I sold all my consoles a while ago. There really isn't much point to keeping them around anymore....most of the xbox stuff used to make it to PC, now all of it does. Likewise most of the third party exclusive PS4 games also came to PC. The only thing you're really missing now are first party PS4 and Nintendo exclusives, and they're both so few and far between at this point that I feel like I can live without them.

If Nintendo is smart they'll put out their new console on a ARM chip and sell the thing for like $100....I'd buy it just for the kids.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah the dx12 renderer is apparently a little slower than dx11 if you have a fast CPU, but still does wonders if you have a slow CPU.

They just added that crazy high quality VXAO that makes it another game that can't do max at 60fps on my 980 Ti, so I'm going to table it until Pascal in a few months.
Can you disable the VXAO?

PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
-Ghanima Atreides
Old 03-14-2016, 06:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post
Can you disable the VXAO?

Yeah, you can't even enable it unless you have NVIDIA 900 series.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement