StarCraft 2 7/27/10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 119 Old 07-22-2010, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
So anyone besides me looking forward to this release next week?

http://us.starcraft2.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 119 Old 07-22-2010, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I was wondering if anyone was going to start a thread on this. I will be buying this day 1 (got it pre-downloaded already from bnet!). I am a Starcraft noob but have been following the competitive scene a bit the past few weeks and am getting pretty hyped to play and learn this game.

PSN / Steam - KrimsonStudios
post #3 of 119 Old 07-22-2010, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah I was waiting and I only found older threads. SC was fun , I hope SC2 will as much fun if not more.
post #4 of 119 Old 07-22-2010, 03:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
He who moves mouse fastest wins.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #5 of 119 Old 07-23-2010, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

Yeah the Koreans taught me that. Never lost so fast to a zerg rush then when I played vs the Koreans.
post #6 of 119 Old 07-23-2010, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

I thought the most hardcore Starcraft players try to only use hot keys and never touch the mouse?

This is one of those games I respect but won't be playing. Back when they were first released I enjoyed Warcraft I & II and thought they were a nice step up from Command & Conquer. Then Total Annihilation came out and really upped the game. So when I went to try Starcraft it felt old and inferior.

Clearly I missed whatever it is about Starcraft that made it so special and given it such longevity. At this point I think the unbelievable hype surrounding Starcraft II keeps me away and almost makes me weary of trying it. I've heard great things about the Battle.Net matching systems so I'm sure I'd have fun with the multiplayer. But I also see so many addicted people, like WOW, and just get scared that could be me.

Gamer Tag: Todd Stevens
post #7 of 119 Old 07-23-2010, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorax View Post

I thought the most hardcore Starcraft players try to only use hot keys and never touch the mouse?

You can't really not use the mouse, as it's required for movement, etc etc. Hotkey as much as possible so that each hand is splitting the work. Kind of like in an MMO.

Quote:

Clearly I missed whatever it is about Starcraft that made it so special and given it such longevity. At this point I think the unbelievable hype surrounding Starcraft II keeps me away and almost makes me weary of trying it. I've heard great things about the Battle.Net matching systems so I'm sure I'd have fun with the multiplayer. But I also see so many addicted people, like WOW, and just get scared that could be me.

I'm not really sure that WoW addiction is really comparable to potential addiction to an RTS game. I mean, every game has people who get totally swept up. I'm sure there are thousands of people skipping dinner to play more MW2 matches that night. WoW/Diablo tend to pull people into addiction who are not necessarily the addictive gaming types because of the levelling and social mechanics of the game.

post #8 of 119 Old 07-23-2010, 12:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I gave up playing RTS long ago (Warcraft) when I realized I just could never navigate fast enough to win. It's just no fun.

post #9 of 119 Old 07-25-2010, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in need of a new computer and I also enjoy playing a few computer games. SC2 is of main interest. Will this computer play SC2 adequately?!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883227241

Specs:
$529 -- AMD Athlon II X2 250(3.0GHz), 4gb ddr3 1333 (4 slots- max 16gb), ATI radeon hd 5450 512mb, windows 7 home 64-bit, 500gb sataII harddrive, 480w PSU.

I understand that when it comes to gaming the gpu accounts for probably 80% of system requirements. If need be, I would upgrade the graphics card. Would the psu be adequate to upgrade to a larger card?!

For the price, I was also looking into:
CyberpowerPC Gamer Ultra 2053 Athlon II X4 630(2.8GHz) 4GB DDR3 500GB ATI Radeon HD 5670 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

slightly better graphics card and quad core, but also costs $609.
post #10 of 119 Old 07-25-2010, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

At this point you should get at least a quad CPU as newer games are starting to require it as a minimum (plus there are other benifits, and it's really not much more expensive than a dual-core). You might want to consider a little bit better videocard as well.

post #11 of 119 Old 07-25-2010, 01:21 PM

Liked: 93
That $609 quad+5670 is the vastly superior value. Four-core CPUs are so cheap now that it doesn't make sense to look at a machine that isn't running one.
post #12 of 119 Old 07-26-2010, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Have to agree. Both will play the game fine but the Quad core will laster you longer and server you better in the short & long run.
post #13 of 119 Old 07-26-2010, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

SO just read that they are going to have a 12am midnight launch. With work no way in heck I am going to be playing that later today.
post #14 of 119 Old 07-26-2010, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah. Nice if you had tuesday off, but not worth the line-ups and crowds if you are working just to get it installed and maybe play an hour or two. I'm just using the direct download and praying they don't have any issues with their servers on release day.

post #15 of 119 Old 07-26-2010, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Blizzard seem to have been pretty heavy-handed with their NDA: no pre-release reviews.

Regardless, I'm all in: CE & CE guide.

Do not let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
XBL & PSN GT: ProjectGemini07

post #16 of 119 Old 07-26-2010, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynesjc View Post

Regardless, I'm all in: CE & CE guide.

Same here although I do have the game downloaded so I just need the key. Much faster installing from hard drive rather than DVD. Just waiting for my Amazon pre-order to arrive tomorrow.
post #17 of 119 Old 07-26-2010, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You can install your digital download now
post #18 of 119 Old 07-27-2010, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hahaha so you installed at 11:19PM? Play any?
When I get off of work no dinner just gaming
post #19 of 119 Old 07-27-2010, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

Hahaha so you installed at 11:19PM? Play any?
When I get off of work no dinner just gaming

Installed the game and patch (just skipped the activation). Alas, I still need to wait for my retail copy to arrive to activate.
post #20 of 119 Old 07-27-2010, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I was ready to go out and grab this one today (release day) but I've been reading that an internet connection is required to play, even for single player. I realize that it's the new anti-piracy technique, but what if I want to play somewhere where there isn't an internet connection? Kind of weak I think.

Plus LAN play is gone. Not a biggie, but I have hooked up with my buds on Warcraft and Starcraft over a LAN more than once. It's fun.

So how is the gameplay?

Cary
post #21 of 119 Old 07-27-2010, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

I've read that the campaign is playable offline, but you need to have activated your copy online at some point beforehand. There is no LAN play but that doesn't mean you can't have a few friends over and do 2v2's or whatever from the same room.

I have this installed and waiting for me to get home from work... oh, the waiting.

I played with the options a bit last night and I'm happy to see they added "Grid" style hotkeys. So rather then memorizing key presses all over the keyboard the command grid in the lower right hand corner is mapped to QWER/ASDF/ZXCV. I think it's going to take a bit of getting used to something other then (a)ttack and (s)top, but overall it should reduce the hand movements/coordination/memorization required.

post #22 of 119 Old 07-27-2010, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Starcraft?? What is this name you speak of? Just kidding

I'm replaying the original + BW and will pick SC2 when I'm done. Probably after summer for around 40$ I hope

My computer is the min specs required and I'm thinking about upgrading... might wait for D3 tho. But I saw a damn nice quad core I7, 16 Gb ram, ... tempting
post #23 of 119 Old 07-27-2010, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Exploring the StarCraft 2 Collector's Edition in pictures

Quote:

While we won't be able to play until the servers go live, our copy of the StarCraft 2 Collector's Edition has arrived. This version of the game will cost $100, which is $40 more than the standard game. It comes packed with a ton of extras, both real and virtual. We're going to give you a look at what comes in the box to let you know if we think it's worth the extra cost.
The box itself is heavy cardboard, and the picture we snapped shows how it looks when partially opened: the metal-looking "teeth" come apart to show you what's inside. The presentation is wonderful, although it can be somewhat tricky to put back together. We didn't take a picture of the game case, extra DVD, or soundtrack CD simply because they look exactly how you'd expect them to look like. Also, the track listing on the CD has what could be considered spoilers.
The bonus DVD comes with a feature about the in-game cinematics, and includes designer interviews, artist interviews, and a StarCraft retrospective. It also has over 13 minutes of cut-scenes and 32 minutes of in-game "story mode" scenes. The disc warns you very strongly that you're going to see spoilers if you watch the content, so play the single-player game first. There is some interesting stuff here if you're not familiar with the history of the first game, and many of the tidbits will be fascinating for fans. For instance, did you know the first build of StarCraft was so badly received at the 1996 E3 that the game stations were all switched to Diablo?
Let's take a look at what else comes in the package.

The art book is a 176-page hardcover with a glossy dust jacket, filled with beautiful art from the game's development. Outside of the foreword by Samwise Didier, Blizzard's Senior Art Director, there is no text. The pages are heavy, glossy, and look great to page through, making this a treat for fans.

An example of the artwork found in the book.

Someone in comments asked for some idea of the size of the art book. This is the back cover of the book without the dust jacket, next to the DVD case containing the game.

You're given four guest passes. Two will give your friends seven hours worth of in-game play in StarCraft 2, and two give 10 days of free play for World of WarCraft.

Raynor's dog tag isn't plastic; this thing is big and heavy. It also comes loaded with a copy of both StarCraft and Brood Wars for the PC and Mac. Plug it into your system and both the face and the blue tab on top glow. Blizzard could have cheaped out here, but this is a pretty cool collectible. If you don't care about the game, this can also work as a standard 2GB USB stick.

Issue 0 of the StarCraft comic book featuring the War Pigs, elite Marines that will be playable in StarCraft 2.

This isn't all you get in the package: there will be exclusive downloadable Battle.net content such as avatar portraits and an exclusive version of the in-game "Thor" unit. If you're a World of WarCraft player, you get a baby Thor as a pet, so you can explore Azeroth with a cute StarCraft 2 unit at your side. This pet can be used by every character on a single WoW account.

So is it worth it?

You're going to have to filter the following statement through the fact that I'm a huge StarCraft fan, but going through the videos, reading the comic book, paging through the art book, and now listening to the music CD has been a wonderful way to spend the afternoon. I lost the discs and key to my original copy of StarCraft a very long time ago, so I'm looking forward to revisiting that game through the included copy.
Nothing in this collection is cheap, but it certainly doesn't feel like a money grab. This is interesting stuff that gives you a better understanding of the game, the world Blizzard has created, and what went on behind the scenes. Assuming you were interested in the game at $60—although I've already seen it on sale for as low as $45—you definitely get an extra $40 worth of value out of this package.
Verdict: Worth the upgrade

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...n-pictures.ars
post #24 of 119 Old 07-27-2010, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes it looks to be with the extra $40. Is it with it to have my wife call me geek ok week? Maybe
post #25 of 119 Old 07-27-2010, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks like this game is going to sell some copies. I decided I was going to pick up a retail box at lunch since i had some time, but they were sold out everywhere. I pretty much always just walk in on release day and pick up games without pre-orders and this is the first time that has failed on me.

Oh well, I just hope the digital purchase goes smoothly tonight. I read on another forum some people were having trouble with the server being overloaded.

post #26 of 119 Old 07-27-2010, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Took me about 3 hours on the digital download, 6.99 gigs. That was throttled, you could do it unthrottled and maybe do it in 2 hours of less.
post #27 of 119 Old 07-27-2010, 01:30 PM

Liked: 10
No problem picking it up at Best Buy today at lunch. Hit me up if you want to try some multiplayer. User name will be DieHardCubFN.

Come join our adult gaming community at www.syndicatedgaming.com

XBL, PSN, and Steam: diehardcubfn
post #28 of 119 Old 07-27-2010, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I got an e-mail from Newegg concerning Starcraft. I do not play these games at all. Then I thought the game sounded familiar and I checked and I have the original Starcraft that we have never tried to play. I may have to try this on my 92" HD screen.

Any hints on what to do besides reading the book?

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS
post #29 of 119 Old 07-27-2010, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
What an incredible game! I've been playing single player all day on my new macbook pro. Brings me back to when I was 17 and playing the original. I love the interface they have between missions. Reminds me of the old Tie Fighter and X-Wing games! Man what I would give for a new one of those!!!

I need to step into the multiplayer but I'm really scared. It has been years!

post #30 of 119 Old 07-27-2010, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes as fun as I remembered. Has it been years since I have played?
Rgath just play the campaign it will teach you all you need to know. Fun as heck too.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page