Mouse cursor menu problems with Crysis Warhead & Bad Company 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-04-2010, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently hooked up my Desktop pc (I7 920, XFX 5870, W7 pro) to my Sony WL140 tv via hdmi. Some games worked great (Borderlands, Mass Effect 2, Singularity) but 2 games were giving me issues: Battlefield Bad Company 2 & Crysis Warhead. The problem occurred in the game's menu. I could not navigate the menu (or just barely) because the mouse cursor did not line up with the input on the screen. To select anything on the menu, I had to click several inches below and to the right of the setting.

This had been driving me nuts for the past 2 days. After trying many, many things (different screen, change drivers, tweaks, etc etc) I finally found the issue: my dpi setting in windows. It was set to 150% because I found txt on the screen to be too small. After reading up a bit on various issues, I figured I'd change the DPI setting and BINGO, everything works as it should. I decided to post this in case anyone else is having the same issue! Hope this helps someone else out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-05-2010, 08:31 AM

Thanks for the tip.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-05-2010, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Yeah, I have run into this issue a ton. In Windows 7 (and probably Vista?) you can go into the properties of the .exe and set the application to use default DPI settings under the compatability tab. Fixes the issue for most games without turning off your 150% DPI mode.

Starcraft 2 however proved to be a thorn in my side for DPI settings. It will not run with 150% DPI and the game ignores all Compatability settings. I had to create a second user account to switch to to play.

PSN / Steam - KrimsonStudios
post #4 of 5 Old 10-31-2011, 12:29 AM

I registered just to say thank you!
This problem drivin' me crazy...
Thank u thank u thank u !
post #5 of 5 Old 02-07-2013, 08:33 PM

I was having problems with my mouse cursor, in game menus. The cursor would always be a few inches off from were the game was detecting it. After some reading I found out it was because I used the 120%- 150% DPI setting in Windows, so I could have my desktop at full HD without everything being too small and hard to read. They said in order to fix this problem all I had to do was disable custom dpi under properties for the specific game (.exe) I wanted to run. This does work, but because my games are through steam/uplay the desktop icons are not .exe and I could not access these settings. This meant that every time I wanted to play a game through steam I would have to reset my dpi setting to default, then set it back to %150 when I wanted to go back to the desktop. This was a huge pain (especially because every time you change DPI you have to log out and back into windows.) So I continued searching for an answer and could not find one. Eventually I went back into the DPI settings and saw a check box saying use Windows XP dpi settings (instead of win7). It worked! Now I can keep my desktop DPI at %150 and it no longer effects my game menus (steam/uplay or normal .exe). Don't worry the win xp settings look exactly the same as the win 7 settings. The only difference I could find was that it made the menu mouse cursor for games a slightly lower resolution than everything else. (Its barely noticeable, and a lot better than a broken menu.) I don't know if I am the first one to discover this fix... I doubt it, but I figured id share it with everyone.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page