AVS Forum banner

Can a HTPC replace and xbox 360?

5K views 38 replies 20 participants last post by  Bigfame 
#1 ·
I am an avid console guy and I am very used to and comfortable with the console scheme and the 360. However at this point in time I am not liking the 360 situation of constant breakdowns and having to wait weeks for a repair.

I was thinking of going the HTPC route but a few questions I need answered:

1) Can this be hooked up to my Samsung LCD via HDMI via 1080p? I dont like using pc monitors I have yet to see on that is 52 inches and would like to play on my couch also

2)How accurate is the 360 controller with a pc? Any lag or buttons failing to respond after a while?

3) Also with the controller do games these days have an automatic mapping option for this controller?

Thats all I have for now. Thanks

See less See more
#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkcusD /forum/post/19408731

For gamepad support check specifically for the games you want to play. Some games that you would expect to have gamepad support don't (ex Mass Effect 2, MW2, etc).

**checks Steam pages** weird.

Well, it makes sense for Mass Effect because the combat interfaces for those games are completely different (and superior IMO) on PC. You wouldn't really want to play them with a controller.

The only reason I can think of for Modern Warfare 2 is that they wouldn't want you to have an unfair disadvantage in multiplayer.

#28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkcusD /forum/post/19408731

For gamepad support check specifically for the games you want to play. Some games that you would expect to have gamepad support don't (ex Mass Effect 2, MW2, etc).

Add Battlefield: Bad Company 2 to that list as well. But, after playing Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 on PC, keyboard/mouse is the way to go with them. They were totally re-designed with PC in mind and it shows.

#29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSwirl /forum/post/19408921

**checks Steam pages** weird.

Well, it makes sense for Mass Effect because the combat interfaces for those games are completely different (and superior IMO) on PC. You wouldn't really want to play them with a controller.

The only reason I can think of for Modern Warfare 2 is that they wouldn't want you to have an unfair disadvantage in multiplayer.

>You wouldn't really want to play them with a controller.

Yes I would and I did (using xpadder). Playing on a couch with keyboard and mouse doesn't work for me, which is what the OP is talking about. Anyway, they should let me worry about my "unfair disadvantage". And ME2 should have an option. Someone hacked it into ME1 but I don't know about ME2. Black Ops is supposed to have gamepad support so I guess they believe in giving users options.

#30 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocShemp /forum/post/19408929

Add Battlefield: Bad Company 2 to that list as well. But, after playing Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 on PC, keyboard/mouse is the way to go with them. They were totally re-designed with PC in mind and it shows.

I still didn't like using a keyboard and mouse on the couch. Anyway the purpose of this thread is not for us to debate what's better. The OP asked about gamepad support so I'm letting him know what's available.

#31 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunction26 /forum/post/19406540

It's not a HTPC without a Blu-ray drive. The 250 is a bit of a weak card, but if you like it...go for it.

If he just wants to game, a DVD drive will be fine. Blu Ray will only get cheaper if he waits.

The 250 depends on the manufacturer and model. Buy one of EVGA's "quality" 250 cards, that isn't stripped and crippled, and it can do 30 FPS with most current games @1080p.

And you can run a 400-500 watt PSU in perpetuity, by upgrading to components using the newest shrunken chips that sip power. Only if you get the newest-design power hogs do you need big wattage.

BTW that retro box rocks!

#33 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkcusD /forum/post/19408972

Yes I would and I did (using xpadder). Playing on a couch with keyboard and mouse doesn't work for me, which is what the OP is talking about. Anyway, they should let me worry about my "unfair disadvantage". And ME2 should have an option. Someone hacked it into ME1 but I don't know about ME2. Black Ops is supposed to have gamepad support so I guess they believe in giving users options.

There is a 360 control hack for ME2, you have to go to Bioware social forms and download the cooked file. This changes the whole game menu to the 360 controller style, it plays perfect.

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by desol007 /forum/post/19410659

There is a 360 control hack for ME2, you have to go to Bioware social forms and download the cooked file. This changes the whole game menu to the 360 controller style, it plays perfect.

If only there were a hack to make ME1 playable in 5.1 without the need of an X-fi card. You know, like ME2.

EDIT: Not saying that ME2 needed to be hacked for multichannel audio. Just that it was capable of it without the need of an X-fi card.

#35 ·
Just a word of caution on the 360 controller, if you absolutely need a wireless one, it's gonna take a little bit of work finding the wireless controller adapter.

What are you talking about. You can walk into Bestbuy and purchase a wireless 360 controller for the PC for $60. I bought mine about a month ago and it works Great. I use it all the time. I also have a wired unit but wanted wireless instead. I use Pinnacle Game Profiler so I can play HL2 and Doom 3 with my wireless 360 controller on my couch.

Here is the wireless 360 controller for the PC at Bestbuy. I bought the Black controller for $60:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....egories&ks=960

Here it is on Amazon. The Black controller for $40:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox...m_cr_pr_sims_t

#36 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkcusD

So has anyone able to play Black Ops (or even MW2) with Xbox 360 controller either wired or wireless?

#37 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfame /forum/post/19455572

Just a word of caution on the 360 controller, if you absolutely need a wireless one, it's gonna take a little bit of work finding the wireless controller adapter.

What are you talking about. You can walk into Bestbuy and purchase a wireless 360 controller for the PC for $60. I bought mine about a month ago and it works Great. I use it all the time. I also have a wired unit but wanted wireless instead. I use Pinnacle Game Profiler so I can play HL2 and Doom 3 with my wireless 360 controller on my couch.

Here is the wireless 360 controller for the PC at Bestbuy. I bought the Black controller for $60:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....egories&ks=960

Here it is on Amazon. The Black controller for $40:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox...m_cr_pr_sims_t

wireless controller adapter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.