Wireless Headset - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-27-2010, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I use Ventrilo while playing online video games. It allows me to chat with people I'm playing with. Up until now I've used a headset with a boom mic that's wired to my computer. After repeated whiplash from getting up without first removing the headset, I've decided I'd like to try a wireless headset. However I'm concerned about the health risks of having a mini microwave tower strapped to the side of my brain for hours on end. Every model wireless headset I've seen uses either Bluetooth or RF to communicate. Fine for a five minute conversation with the wife about tonight's dinner but not so good for a five hour dungeon raid. I want my dinner cooked, not my head. So... it occurred to me maybe IR technology would be a safer/smarter alternative. As far as I know nobody has nuked their noggin with IR. There are literally hundreds of wireless IR headphones on the market. What's odd is I can't find any IR headsets with a mic. Anyone know why this might be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-28-2010, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

one-way communication is feasible, 2way not so much.

Also, a mic would require ADC circuitry on-board adding to weight and battery loss.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-29-2010, 04:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

IR headset with hq wired desktop mic? Haven't done the desktop mic myself, but the IR headphones (pioneer dir-800) are awesome. Surely there is a decent wired mic around.
post #4 of 7 Old 11-29-2010, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses.

I'm not clear on why two way communication is a problem with IR. Is that because the headset would be too bulky if it had to house the necessary hardware or is it because the two IR streams would interfere with each other? I know my array of TV remotes all play nice with each other for example.

ADC = Analog to Digital Circuit right? (had to look that up). I've seen some pretty bulky headsets, like the giant Moterola ones they use on Monday night football for example. Granted I don't necessarily want something that big stuck to my head but you're saying the circuitry would need to be too big for a headset? Interesting.

As a workaround, I like your idea MarkV, use a wired desktop mic in combination with IR headphones. The only problem I see with a desktop mic is the distance it'd be from my mouth. I currently have the gaming sounds piped through my 7.1 computer speakers which helps lend a cool immersive feel to my games. The IP chat comes though my headset. I fear there'd be quite a bit of background gaming noise in my transmissions if I went with a desktop mic. Its an idea I may experiment with though.

Thanks again for the comments.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-30-2010, 05:11 PM

I don't see why you are afraid of an RF based headset. You're not afraid of your wireless router too are you?

You are aware that RF waves are a form of non-ionizing radiation that is harmless to the human body, right? Even if you don't believe that, products have to pass certain regulations set in place to ensure they are safe for use.

Anywho, I just bought a Logitech G930 wireless headset and it works great! It's about $150 if found on sale. It's really comfortable, sounds great, has simulated Dolby 7.1 mode which is great for games that support it, macro'able buttons on the one side. All around great headset and I'm quite happy with it.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-04-2010, 02:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

I stayed away from RF due to interference concerns. Those concerns may be unfounded and I have found a couple devices that emit IR in a frequency that screws with the Pioneer unit. I have a dual-n router with bright blue lights that I had to hide because it was interfering. No issues other than that and I am using multiple headsets. G930 is $100 cheaper tho. Can it support multiple headsets for listening to one source?
post #7 of 7 Old 12-04-2010, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkV View Post

...I have a dual-n router with bright blue lights that I had to hide because it was interfering...

That's interesting. I have quite a few blinky lights on my system too. Not sure it would have occurred to me that was the problem but that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naossoan View Post

...I don't see why you are afraid of an RF based headset. You're not afraid of your wireless router too are you?..

Well no I'm not. But then again I wouldn't want my router anywhere near my head for the same reasons stated earlier. I believe most stuff is safe as long as you don't get too close. Anyway I don't want to turn this thread into a debate about the dangers of Bluetooth or RF. There's already plenty of threads about that already. I'm just curious why IR apparently isn't an option for headsets.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page