The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Official Trailer - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 223 Old 11-11-2011, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For those that want to tweak Skyrim's visuals.

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=11

You watch a Donnie Yen movie to watch what Donnie does best - kick-ass!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 223 Old 11-11-2011, 11:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post

Bethesda is one of the very few if the not the only developer left that makes old school and traditional RPG's. I am unsure of how long you have been gaming? But you either like these games, or you do not. Tothose of us that do like it, this is one of the very few single player games that is worth every single Penney.

Well I have been playing video games since about 1976 when I got my Telstar with the built in paddles (I was 7 at the time). I don't really know how that is relative here but I have tried games from every genre over the last 35 years and have never been immersed into RPG's so like I said I guess I just don't get it. However being this is 2011 and the tech is so advanced I was curious as to just how far the genre has come with this much hyped game (plus a friend of mine wrote the strategy guide), so I had to check it out... I tried but truthfully I still don't get it.

I was just curious about it and have a hard time grasping all the hype after playing it, it's like a medieval Sims and I never understood the fascination with that series either. My main point is just that this is a game that EXPECTS the player to become immersed yet with all the tech we have available it still feels so dated and clunky which in turn pulls me right out of the world they have created. I guess maybe my expectation was too high from a technical standpoint because of all the hype.

As I stated before these are just my observations and there is no need for anyone to take it personal.

Jason

My Twitch Game Stream [PS4/Xone/PC]...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #63 of 223 Old 11-12-2011, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

My main point is just that this is a game that EXPECTS the player to become immersed yet with all the tech we have available it still feels so dated and clunky which in turn pulls me right out of the world they have created. I guess maybe my expectation was too high from a technical standpoint because of all the hype.

I've been thinking about this because even though I like these games I also find the ES games don't pull me into their world like other games.

I don't think it is a technical issue. I think it is their art style. I find the artistic style of the game continually draws attention to itself and for me that is distracting. It obviously doesn't have that affect on most ES players.

World of Warcraft is 7 years old and has a distinctive art style. Yet for some reason I don't find it distracting. Borderlands also has a distinctive style but I don't find it distracting either.
post #64 of 223 Old 11-12-2011, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Man, it's just the opposite with me. The ES games pull me into their world like no other games can. Well, Fallout does the same so maybe it's more Bethesda games do it but still, the ES games to me do an excellent job in their immersion.

post #65 of 223 Old 11-12-2011, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

I was just curious about it and have a hard time grasping all the hype after playing it, it's like a medieval Sims and I never understood the fascination with that series either. My main point is just that this is a game that EXPECTS the player to become immersed yet with all the tech we have available it still feels so dated and clunky which in turn pulls me right out of the world they have created. I guess maybe my expectation was too high from a technical standpoint because of all the hype.

Anyone who appreciates the past games finds lots of immersion in the many things to do and see, the variety of play styles, the voice acting, the in-depth character customization, and the overall lore behind the game and series. Also, I don't think many people who were hyping this game expected a lot of the core mechanics to change much.

For the record, I have absolutely no interest in the Sims games either despite trying them. I just chalked it up as something that's not of my preferred style; there is no wonderment about people's differences in taste.
post #66 of 223 Old 11-12-2011, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

So far we have 3 reactions to this game.

1. Those who like the way the game looks and and enjoy playing the game.

2. Those who don't like the way the game looks and don't enjoy playing the game.

3. Those who don't like the way the game looks and do enjoy playing the game.

Is there anyone who likes the way the game looks but doesn't enjoy playing the game?
post #67 of 223 Old 11-12-2011, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 306
I've been playing for the last few hours and to be honest, I totally agree with Jasons point of view. The graphics are far to dated and it really takes me out of the game. I'm not looking for crysis ultra graphics but not a 5 year old looking title either. this is my first step into the ES type of game. I hated fallout 3 but this seem to have more charm to it. Admitted I'm a little blind as to what the heck I'm doing but I'm catching on.
It's still not a game I'm gonna put tons of hours into but I really wanted to see what the hype was about to be honest.
It's plays very clunky IMO and it's hard to ignore. Though the open world is very cool!
I'll save my full thoughts until I've had more time to play it. So far, if I never played it again, I'd not be sad. I just never really got into these types of games but I'm going to give it a chance.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #68 of 223 Old 11-12-2011, 02:20 PM

I'd like to know how to move the camera out a bit, in 3rd person view. My character takes up too much screen real estate.
post #69 of 223 Old 11-12-2011, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I think it's more the animation than anything. It has that typical stiff Bethesda look to it. I really hope Fallout 4 isn't made with this console gen of hardware in mind. It sucks as a PC player but I'm hoping they wait for the new console hardware. That's the only way we pc gamers are going to get anything better than what we have now.

post #70 of 223 Old 11-12-2011, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Guess we aren't the only one impressed with Skyrim's trailers...

Doesn't seem to link right... here's the link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVnhTO-A-2E
post #71 of 223 Old 11-12-2011, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I don't know, while I've seen better graphics, I still think they're pretty good (I have everything on ultra and maxed out other settings).

Maybe I've got a slightly skewed view of things though because I was strictly a console player for so long.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #72 of 223 Old 11-12-2011, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
Fixed link to vid

You do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.
post #73 of 223 Old 11-12-2011, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Some people will literally do anything for attention.
post #74 of 223 Old 11-13-2011, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

She really should have bought that $79.99 preorder that came with the Gamestop-exclusive case of antidepressants.
post #75 of 223 Old 11-13-2011, 10:53 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 820
I think the only way I could have a reaction like that to a videogame is if it the HoloDeck was out, for real... and was mine.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #76 of 223 Old 11-13-2011, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

I watched some Skyrim gameplay on youtube. The guy was switching between spells and selecting potions, etc by using a menu. I didn't see an action bar.

I recall the action bar being very useful in Oblivion. Do they not have one in Skyrim?
post #77 of 223 Old 11-13-2011, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Nope no action bar. you can put things in a 'favorites' menu but that's it. Unfortunately the menu screws up all the time on me and I've ended up throwing punches when I thought I was about to cast a spell or use a weapon. Not cool.

-Trouble
post #78 of 223 Old 11-13-2011, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I didn't much like the textures in Fallout 3, this game seems to have the same texture artist. I havn't bought the game yet, but are they all washed out and bright? There like that in every video ive seen except for one cave sequence.

post #79 of 223 Old 11-14-2011, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tory40 View Post

I didn't much like the textures in Fallout 3, this game seems to have the same texture artist. I havn't bought the game yet, but are they all washed out and bright? There like that in every video ive seen except for one cave sequence.

I don't know about washed out and bright but I have some major texture flickering going on, in addition to some very noticable lag with either the kb/m or the controller plus what I can only describe as a stutter when I move around. In fact if I stand still where there's snow in the air I can see the snow speed up and slow down, speed up and slow down. It's not all the time either which is annoying. The texture flickering I can get around but this strange movement plus lag with the controls needs to be fixed.

Aside from those issues the game is very engaging. I was walking through the forest minding my own business when a dragon plopped down around 30 feet in front of me. I freak out and try to find cover only to be ambushed by a frost spider wandering around. So now not only did I have a dragon to deal with but also that damn spider. Needless to say one of the two killed me but I won't mention which one out of embarassment lol.

post #80 of 223 Old 11-14-2011, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've got the same problem with the favorites , push #1 -suppose to be sword/shield but 50% of the time it's changed to something else.. Otherwise the game is very good so far. Excellent graphics and interesting quests/characters so far.. love the snow flying up in the mountains
post #81 of 223 Old 11-14-2011, 03:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Dismissing ESV's graphics is a bit premature based on the history of the franchise unless you have to play it right now. Like Oblivion before it, mods will spruce up the rough edges if you are patient for them to come out. Apparently there are already 100+ mods out, and this article selects (in their opinion) the best ten so far.
Quote:

Skyrim is a wonderful game. It’s so good that Tom gave it 94% in our Skyrim review, but as good as Bethesda games are, they’re always a little bit better once they’re modded. Amazingly, despite the fact that the game has only been out for a few days, there are already over a hundred mods on Skyrim Nexus. We’ve rounded up the best of the first wave – they’re not game-changers, but some of these are worth taking a look at.

We’re planning to regularly update this page as more mods come out. New mods will be added and old ones will either be updated or fall by the wayside.

1. Detailed Faces and No More Blocky Faces

A pair of mods by Xenius that make small improvements to the faces of Skyrim’s NPCs. No More Blocky Faces decompresses face textures to create smoother noses and chins for the previously slightly square character models, while Detailed Faces slightly improves the face textures for most races.

2. ENBSeries patch
The ENBSeries mods are famous for adding improved post processing and lighting effects to make games like GTA4 and Deus Ex: Human Revolution look amazing. Sadly this patch doesn’t do that, but merely fixes some graphical artifacts. Don’t worry though, ENB creator Boris Vorontsov is already working on a full graphical overhaul.

3. Large Address Aware patch
Like previous Bethesda games, Skyrim doesn’t use more than 2gb of RAM, regardless of how much you actually have. Using a large address aware patch will fix that, allowing Skyrim to make full use of your system’s abilities. Simply follow the tutorial here. It won’t automatically make your screenshots look as good as Dead End Thrills, but it’s a start.

4. Simple Borderless Window

Simple borderless window does what it says, it makes Skyrim run in a false fullscreen mode, allowing for the easy alt tabbing of windowed mode but while still keeping your screen full of wonderful landscapes.

5. Enhanced Night Sky

A nice little mod I enjoyed in Fallout. Enhanced Night Sky replaces the Skyrim stars with a high resolution texture taken from starfield photography. This version is so seamless it doesn’t even effect the in game constellations.

6. No Spider Mod

Arachnophobes like PC Gamer contributor Richard Cobbett have a hard time with games like Skyrim. Which is why No Spiders patches are so useful. This first attempt at a spider free Skyrim is particularly hilarious, as it replaces the models of the spiders with hilariously out of place bears.

7. Interface Hard Coded key tweaks
Skyrim’s interface can be really awkward, Hard Coded key tweaks aims to improve that. Now you can (for instance) turn lockpicks with whatever direction keys you chose, not just WASD, and many other simple improvements.

8. TESV savegame manager
An update of the popular Fallout 3 savegame manager, TESV savegame manager mod helps save and organise your games far more efficiently than the game does by default.

9. Vurt’s Skyrim Flora Overhaul

This is going to be one to keep an eye on. Vurt’s Skyrim flora overhaul is dedicated to improving the quality of the vegetation in Skyrim, starting with trees. It even offers several different colour schemes to let you tailor your foliage to your own desires.

10. Enhanced Blood Textures

Enhanced Blood Textures does exactly what it says, it improves the resolution of the blood textures in the game, but does it so well that it’s one of the most noticeable improved texture mods available.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #82 of 223 Old 11-14-2011, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Gotta love game mods...

In 3D news:
The folks on the Nvidia 3D forums are saying Skyrim supports almost perfect 3D. Andrew, the product manager for 3D Vision says hes going to request the devs to fix the remaining issues this week. Also, Tridef, an Nvidia 3DTV Play alternative says they are going to release a driver to fix the remaining problems. A user said that though, so who knows...

post #83 of 223 Old 11-15-2011, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I rented this game on Xbox 360, but definitely plan to play the vast majority of it on PC. I happened to have a Blockbuster pass and figured I'd try it out on Xbox just to see what it's like. I figure I'll wait for a few major patches, and more work to be done in the mod scene before I buy the PC game. Might as well wait till it's on sale as well.

I'm loving the game so far, but I must admit that I was hooked on Oblivion in Spring 2006, and I was, and continue to be, hooked on Fallout 3. Bethesda Game Studios is batting 1.000 as far as I'm concerned. Are their games perfect? Not even close. Are there crazy bugs? Abso-freaking-lutely. Do the character models still look pretty lame? Most definitely. Do some of the textures and graphics look kinda janky? Yeah, some of them do.

The bottom line for me with a game like this is that you have to understand that Bethesda is pushing the outer limits of what a video game can be. Things are going to be rough around the edges. You have to give them a free pass in some ways because of the sheer scope and magnitude of what they are trying to achieve. No other game has a living, breathing game world with the breadth and scope that they deliver. To me, it's like stepping into a fantasy movie, and actually living out various adventures. I actually like the post-apocalyptic theme of Fallout much more than the Tolkien like trappings of the Elder Scrolls, but beggars can't be choosers. This "appears" to be their best effort yet of creating an amazing open world experience. The menu system seems much more logical than Fallout, and the graphic engine appears to be improved. The character models have improved slightly from Fallout. I do miss the VATS system that Fallout uses, and wish that there still was some type of VATS system for using magic, but I guess that would kinda make it "too" similar to Fallout, so they passed on that.

I hope Microsoft and Sony have given Bethesda development kits to their next hardware, and I hope that the Todd Howard team is already knee-deep in pre-production on Fallout 4 for PS4 and Xbox Next. I can't wait till they get even more power at their disposal when designing their next game. Every game they release from here on out is easily going to be among my top 5 most wanted games of that particular year, and quite honestly, I have a hard time thinking it won't be No.1 on the list. (Skyrim was). The current consoles that we have are holding Bethesda Game Studios back. The consoles are certainly the target platform, and the PC version is going to suffer for that. The only real relief is going to come with new consoles, which should arrive as early as November 2013, which means that if Microsoft and Sony are smart, they will get one of their earliest development kits to Todd Howard and Company.
post #84 of 223 Old 11-16-2011, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
So the Graphics look dated on PC?

post #85 of 223 Old 11-16-2011, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

The graphics are more than serviceable for this kind of game. I haven't played the console versions, but reviewers say that the PC version looks much better. Just as with Oblivion, mods will make it look even better.

It doesn't push the best PC hardware to their limits, but being able to get the visuals we have in maximum quality at 1080p with consistently smooth frame-rates on just one GTX 570 is fine by me.

I know some people want a virtual tech demo with every AAA PC title, but that's best saved for games with a simpler scope. Anyone who truly enjoys this series will be too enamored by the overall experience to care that the textures and lighting don't quite match up to what the confined Metro 2033 offers.
post #86 of 223 Old 11-16-2011, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Thanks!

post #87 of 223 Old 11-16-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:

No they don't look dated. I wouldn't say it is the best looking game either though.

With that being said it is a very good looking game. It can be a little rough around the edges sometimes but it is very good. The lighting, cloud, and snow effects are very good as well. There is also some mods all ready out that make the game look better. there is a mod that makes the game use more than 2gb of ram. That mod helps alot. The is also a mod called enhanced night skyrim that is beautiful as well. My only complaint is sometimes the textures are a tad blocky.

But the game looks alot better than the xbox version. It is much more refined.
post #88 of 223 Old 11-16-2011, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Still no Crossfire support for ATI, I'm going to hold off on playing it until they arrive. I tell you I'll never go ATI again. They are seriously lacking in the driver dept. over there at AMD, either that or they just don't care.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #89 of 223 Old 11-16-2011, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:

To put it simply, yes they do. However I never meant to imply that it was over-all bad just that the game is not as 'current looking' as some may want or been expecting. I know those that enjoy the game will defend it to no end and that's understandable (to a point) but from an outsiders perspective (an honest one) the game just feels like something from several years ago (or more when considering the clunky game play and awkward character animations). The fact that fans are saying 'wait there will be mods to make it look better' should be telling. To be fair the game is a massive undertaking and I can appreciate the effort that went into making it and as somebody else stated the graphics do deserve a pass based upon the sheer scope of the game (which is again another very telling comment). I feel the main issue with the game is the clunky game play and not so much the graphics even though the entire product does feel dated. I cannot really compare it to any other recent AAA title as it falls short on most aspects. Now does this mean people will not enjoy it, of course not (obviously), it's just a technical observation from somebody that is not a fan of the series. To be fair I again tried to play it more (over 6 hours total) and still feel no sense of being immersed into the world.

Again just a personal observation, so take it as you will (probably with a grain of salt if you are an RPG fan).

Jason

My Twitch Game Stream [PS4/Xone/PC]...

post #90 of 223 Old 11-16-2011, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

http://www.youtube.com/user/ForceSC2...C19D80CD7286B3

You can get a good idea of the graphics from this 'lets play' series which is available in 1080.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page