AVS Forum banner

Battlefield 3 - Fault Line Series Episode I: Bad Part of Town

12K views 118 replies 24 participants last post by  tory40 
#1 ·

Crytek, eat your heart out.

See less See more
3 1
#27 ·
Really? humm. I will play the single player games but they are to scripted for my liking. They are always doing something stupid and never react like a person.

I guess I love knowing that there is someone else on the other end of my rocket that is gonna be pissed

#28 ·
I'm more interesting on the MP aspect of the game but a good SP is very welcome.

#29 ·
I enjoy a good SP and MP pretty equally. This game looks pretty awesome though.

#31 ·
The whole 12 minute trailer is up and it's a doozy.

#32 ·
I'll just go ahead and paste here what I had to say about it over in the Xbox section:

I'm seeing a lot of "follow the leader" crap in these trailers. It's like a better copy of COD or Homefront, where you don't get to ever actually do anything yourself. For example, the main characters in these games apparently never learned the complicated mechanical movements of twisting their wrist to the left, in order to operate a door nob. It looks like yet another crap military shooter where you just wait for your team mates to do everything for you, and you just follow them.

Bad Company 1 had a fantastic single-player campaign where you personally did a lot of the stuff that was required. Your team was just around to provide comedic banter, share the incoming bullets with, and rescue you when you got in trouble. Bad Company 2 shifted far more toward the COD4 design of "linear follow the leader", though it still rested kind of in the middle with large open maps and occasionally varying paths. This is looking to be full-bore "If you aren't on your mark, you're going to die. Do what we tell you and nothing else.", to match the modern COD titles. Count me extremely disappointed. Yes, it's more cinematic, but this style of play is anything but fun.

While I played through the excellent Bad Company 1 campaign three times in rapid succession, Bad Company 2's campaign was burned through as quickly as possible and then promptly forgotten, just as COD4 and MW2's. Thankfully, Bad Company 2 followed Bad Company's excellent multiplayer model, providing me hours upon hours of amazing audio, constantly changing battlefield tactics, and fantastically destructible environments. If Bad Company 3, uh, Battlefield 3 gives me that again, then I will be a happy man.

Anyone getting their panties wet over these trailers though, and what it shows of single player? I'd have to wonder what is wrong with you that would lead you to want that style of game play. Are there those among you that are so proud of your lack of imagination that you need your hand held through the entirety of the game? Wait. Dumb question. Look at the COD sales figures of Modern Warfare and newer and I guess I get that answer real quick, don't I?

#33 ·
Dang man, it's just a game. The trailer gets the point across that it's a pretty immersive game regardless of how that's accomplished. Good thing you don't have to buy it.

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames /forum/post/20315595

I'll just go ahead and paste here what I had to say about it over in the Xbox section:

I'm seeing a lot of "follow the leader" crap in these trailers. It's like a better copy of COD or Homefront, where you don't get to ever actually do anything yourself. For example, the main characters in these games apparently never learned the complicated mechanical movements of twisting their wrist to the left, in order to operate a door nob. It looks like yet another crap military shooter where you just wait for your team mates to do everything for you, and you just follow them.

Bad Company 1 had a fantastic single-player campaign where you personally did a lot of the stuff that was required. Your team was just around to provide comedic banter, share the incoming bullets with, and rescue you when you got in trouble. Bad Company 2 shifted far more toward the COD4 design of "linear follow the leader", though it still rested kind of in the middle with large open maps and occasionally varying paths. This is looking to be full-bore "If you aren't on your mark, you're going to die. Do what we tell you and nothing else.", to match the modern COD titles. Count me extremely disappointed. Yes, it's more cinematic, but this style of play is anything but fun.

While I played through the excellent Bad Company 1 campaign three times in rapid succession, Bad Company 2's campaign was burned through as quickly as possible and then promptly forgotten, just as COD4 and MW2's. Thankfully, Bad Company 2 followed Bad Company's excellent multiplayer model, providing me hours upon hours of amazing audio, constantly changing battlefield tactics, and fantastically destructible environments. If Bad Company 3, uh, Battlefield 3 gives me that again, then I will be a happy man.

Anyone getting their panties wet over these trailers though, and what it shows of single player? I'd have to wonder what is wrong with you that would lead you to want that style of game play. Are there those among you that are so proud of your lack of imagination that you need your hand held through the entirety of the game? Wait. Dumb question. Look at the COD sales figures of Modern Warfare and newer and I guess I get that answer real quick, don't I?

lol, man you are such a tool.

#35 ·
I just hope the multiplayer maps are bigger than Bad Company 2. Sure it was ok for playing my ps3 version with low player counts. But playing on pc, I felt like i couldnt breathe and every corner a guy would be there.

#36 ·
The maps will be way bigger. They already said somewhere that they will be BF2 sized and bigger. Can you imagine planes in a map that's the size of the ones in BC2? lol that would be pretty funny to see.

#37 ·
Boy I wish it would be here already
. It just gets better and better with every preview.

#41 ·
I'm impressed with the smaller things like lighting and particle effects and precise sound positioning. This will probably be the first pc fps I'll actively play online quite a bit. I can't wait to see it in action.

#42 ·
It will be getting a preorder from me for sure. Sure hope Steam gets it soon and were not forced to buy it on Origin. After a recent Windows 7 rebuild, I realized how much I like Steam. So much easier just to have to move one big folder, then reinstall all my games.

#43 ·
I may just be building my first gaming PC for this and Skyrim. I just don't see the console versions being anywhere near the PC versions, even with their reduced resolutions and framerates. It will be especially bad in my case, since I picked up one of those 70inch Sharp LCDs, the current consoles are really showing their age in 75% of the games I play. (PS3 exclusives still look pretty good)

I'm going to wait for more info on the spec requirements before I order a gaming PC, I'll probably get something prebuilt from ibuypower once we know the requirements for it to run at 1080p 60fps on max settings.

#45 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 /forum/post/20590349

Quite a few people seem to be buying/building or upgrading PCs mostly for Battlefield 3 and Skyrim.

We need more killer apps like these to get many more people over to the PC side of gaming.

I agree, it's too bad companies that have been built on their PC heritage are abandoning it for consoles. I'm honestly to the point where if it takes DRM like what Ubisoft or EA use to get games built for the PC I'll take it. I'm tired of getting console ports.

#49 ·
*sigh*

I hate to say it (or be the one to say it) but I predict that this one will turn out looking pretty much like BFBC2 but with some cool scripted events/effects.

I'm cynical irt the gaming world at this time. Damn near every game that looks m*therf**king bada** turns out to be a disappointment. With the whole Origin thing added on to that. I have my expectations very low. Don't count me out though! I am a long time BF fan. Was playing the game in beta before the whole open world fps craze even existed.

#50 ·
I just have to wonder, if those "screenshots" that they keep putting out are the game running at max settings, then could any gaming rig actually run it at 60fps 1080p let alone in 3D? They seem to be making this game increadibly scaleable depending on your rig, and the "max" settings could easily be designed for future hardware...

If that is indeed true, then I may put off building my gaming rig until I learn what it takes to run it with that kind of graphical capabilities.

#51 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON /forum/post/20618492

I just have to wonder, if those "screenshots" that they keep putting out are the game running at max settings, then could any gaming rig actually run it at 60fps 1080p let alone in 3D? They seem to be making this game increadibly scaleable depending on your rig, and the "max" settings could easily be designed for future hardware...

If that is indeed true, then I may put off building my gaming rig until I learn what it takes to run it with that kind of graphical capabilities.

Such concern means that you should definitely wait to see what GPU(s) will be needed for your intentions.

The only problem is that AMD and Nvidia's higher-end 28nm GPUs will probably be unveiled not too long after, thereby driving current GPU prices down and much more powerful ones will likely be offered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.