Borderlands LAN game - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 03-10-2011, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has anyone got this game working in LAN mode? I have two computers connected to a router but neither can host a game that the other can see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 03-10-2011, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
I have 3 computers on my LAN and I just tested this game. It works fine, all pc's could join the game and it loaded up fine. Make sure that windows firewall isn't blocking the game. Sometimes it will ask if you want to "unblock" or "keep blocking" or something like that. Also make sure that both vesions of the games are the same version and up to date. When I go to the LAN option on the main menu, I click "host public game", then it asks for a server name, and then I type one. Next it brings me to the lobby. I am able to go to "LAN game" and then "join game" on the other pc's, and they join the lobby fine. Then it loads them all up fine.
post #3 of 26 Old 03-10-2011, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I disabled both firewalls and it still doesn't work.

This is the Steam version, so they should be automatically updated. One was downloaded yesterday and the other one a month ago.
post #4 of 26 Old 03-10-2011, 02:35 PM

Liked: 93
Are the PCs both on the same subnet? Can they see each other's files for sharing of media and whatnot? Are they both hooked up ethernet to the router, or is one wireless?
post #5 of 26 Old 03-10-2011, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post
Are the PCs both on the same subnet? Can they see each other's files for sharing of media and whatnot? Are they both hooked up ethernet to the router, or is one wireless?
They are both connected to the same router and using DHCP. I assume that means they are on the same subnet.

They can see each other's files although I only have certain folder shared. I assume there is no need to the entire computer to be shared but I'm not sure.

I set up two Gamespy accounts. I added the accounts as friends. When I log in to Gamespy on Borderlands it shows the other account is online but not joinable. So that doesn't work either.
post #6 of 26 Old 03-10-2011, 03:30 PM

Liked: 93
http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/PC_Connection_Issues

This looks like your next stop. Q
post #7 of 26 Old 03-10-2011, 03:34 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Huh, what? Did someone say Borderlands multiplayer?

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #8 of 26 Old 03-10-2011, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/PC_Connection_Issues

This looks like your next stop. Q

Thanks. I've seen that and am not sure what is relevant. The latest Borderlands is not supposed to require port forwarding. There's no point in setting up VPNs. ForceBindIP might be worth a try.
post #9 of 26 Old 03-10-2011, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Wait dude. Are you trying to use the same copy of the game on two different pc's? Or do you have two seperate versions of the game with their own CD key and steam login? I have 3 different copies of the game, each with their own cd key and steam login.
post #10 of 26 Old 03-10-2011, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwing View Post

Wait dude. Are you trying to use the same copy of the game on two different pc's? Or do you have two seperate versions of the game with their own CD key and steam login? I have 3 different copies of the game, each with their own cd key and steam login.

I asked over at the Steam forum if I needed to open a second account to get another copy. I was told it would work if I use two copies with the same login as long as I'm not logged into Steam.

So right now I have two copies with the same login. I don't mind buying a second copy but only if I know it will work with LAN play.
post #11 of 26 Old 03-10-2011, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Ok so you need to make sure that it is two different cd keys being used, and I don't know how you would do this with one account. I mean really, does it show Borderlands twice in your library? Check and see if you still have the other copy available to redeem. Maybe look under the "games" heading in Steam, and then look under "manage gifts and guess passes". See if you see it in there. If it is in there, and shows it has not been redeemed, then I highly suggest you create another Steam account. It is free, very easy, and fast. Just make another gmail or hotmail email and use it for that account and make sure you keep those emails, passwords, and logins saved so you don't lose them. Like I said, I have three of them. It is very nice to buy several copies of games for really cheap on steam and then send them to each account. Then I can use whatever account on whatever computer. It works very well, and no disks are ever needed as the cd keys are bound to the Steam accounts. I had a few friends over yesterday and we played Vegas 2 using my 3 Steam accounts and it worked great.
post #12 of 26 Old 03-10-2011, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I only bought one copy so far. I wanted to test and make sure LAN worked before buying another copy.

Someone told me on the Stream forum he had it working with just one purchased copy. You can even run two copies of Borderlands on the same PC and they will connect using the LAN option and they obviously have the same key.

At this point I don't feel like spending $20 on another copy when I don't think it will work.
post #13 of 26 Old 03-10-2011, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

Wow dude this thread would have been alot shorter if you would have just said you were trying to use only one purchased copy of the game to play with two people. And just because that doesn't work you aren't going to buy another copy of the game? I am sure if it worked you would have ran out and bought another copy of the game

And again, I have 3 purchased copies of the game, and LAN works fine for me.
post #14 of 26 Old 03-11-2011, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I created a second Steam account and bought another BL license. I logged in to the new account in Steam and selected the option to download the game. It saw that I already had BL on the computer and said BL was ready to play.

So I played it and it still doesn't connect.
post #15 of 26 Old 03-11-2011, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I wonder if you just create a private room through internet games then try connecting with the other machine. BL uses p2p connection so it should be a direct connection wouldnt think it would have to route much through the net. Worth a shot

PSN:The_Wise_Guy
XBL:DirtySanWiseGuy
Steam:The_Wise_Guy
BF4 PC:The_Wise_Guy

post #16 of 26 Old 03-11-2011, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseGuy2k7 View Post

I wonder if you just create a private room through internet games then try connecting with the other machine. BL uses p2p connection so it should be a direct connection wouldnt think it would have to route much through the net. Worth a shot

Are you referring to Gamespy? When I try that none of the accounts are joinable.
post #17 of 26 Old 03-11-2011, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Very odd LAN isnt working as a friend and I did BL LAN awhile back with no issues. Have you tried pinging the other computer through command prompt? Just start at the basic networking troubleshooting first then move on to the next step. Also if you can ping the other computer try another LAN game if you havent already see if the problem still exists. Alien Swarm is a free Steam game that has multiplayer and I believe LAN.

post #18 of 26 Old 03-11-2011, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

They can ping each other. All other networking works, so I don't know what more to troubleshoot.
post #19 of 26 Old 03-11-2011, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

I dont remember does BL have a place where you can type the other person IP to connect to? Most games you can use the console by pressing "~" tilde key but since consoles have bastardized pc games with ports this option is rare. If you can try connecting by entering the ip of the games host somewhere in the game.

post #20 of 26 Old 03-11-2011, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

BL does not have a way to do this in the game. I tried two different ways of binding it to the IP and neither worked.
post #21 of 26 Old 03-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Ok so just to be sure now: you have to different Borderlands copies with each their own CD key and separate Steam account and on two different pc's, yes? And you confirmed this by looking on each pc's Steam account and right clicking on the game in Steam, and then checking the CD key, yes?
Did you "friend" your other Steam account? If not, do so. Then while you are in a LAN game lobby, press tab+shift and send an invite to your other account and see what happens. Also, make sure that you set up a Borderlands character on each pc that the Steam account is on.
post #22 of 26 Old 03-11-2011, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwing View Post
Ok so just to be sure now: you have to different Borderlands copies with each their own CD key and separate Steam account and on two different pc's, yes? And you confirmed this by looking on each pc's Steam account and right clicking on the game in Steam, and then checking the CD key, yes?
I don't see a key.

Quote:
Did you "friend" your other Steam account? If not, do so. Then while you are in a LAN game lobby, press tab+shift and send an invite to your other account and see what happens. Also, make sure that you set up a Borderlands character on each pc that the Steam account is on.
I friended the other account. When I tab+shift from the LAN game lobby nothing happens.
post #23 of 26 Old 03-11-2011, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I followed the instructions here http://www.lanpartyguide.com/troubleshooting.html and disabled network adapters for VMWare and VirtualBox and now it works. Just in time for some co-op play tonight.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions.
post #24 of 26 Old 03-11-2011, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

This is why I build a seperate PC for gaming less issues to deal with. I deal with networks/computers for a career last thing I want to come home and deal with more issues. lol Good to hear you got it working though.

post #25 of 26 Old 03-11-2011, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Sweet! Glad you got it working. Its a great game.
post #26 of 26 Old 09-07-2012, 08:45 PM

Liked: 10
Can anyone help me with Lan issues ?
confused.gif
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page