AVS Forum banner

Prey 2 is coming! Question....WHY!?

3K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  barrelbelly 
#1 ·
Who greenlighted this crap!?

Prey was one of the worst, no possibly THE worst FPS experience I've had in the past 10 years......and I play most of them. I actually felt bad for native americans as I played the game, I kept wanting my guy to die and save them any more embarrassment. The maps/locations were horrible, the weapons were truly awful, the whole spirit-walk thing was terrible.....and I hated my character. Honestly, who thinks this game needs a followup?? Its one of the few games that bored me and offended me at exactly the same time....just curious if anyone at all would give this game the time of day. I sure wouldn't.

#3 ·
Plenty of people really liked Prey. It had some pretty interesting mechanics for it's time with the play on gravity, scale and primitive portals. You didn't like it, Head? That's fine. But it wasn't nearly as atrocious as you make it out to be. It's not like it was a post-COD4 Call Of Duty or anything.

#4 ·
Nah, it was pretty atrocious

#5 ·
No it was as horrible as horrible gets. I can't understand why they would make a 2 game to this complete garbage. I buy pretty much every FPS that comes out and this is in my "what was i thinking" folder of garbage games

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG /forum/post/20150829

No it was as horrible as horrible gets.

There is no way Prey is as horrible gets.

I played my share of FPS games and Prey is better than a lot of other FPSs

But I guess to each his own, I for one think any Call of Duty games is horrible and can't understand why the obsession people have about them.

I enjoyed Prey and looking forward to Prey 2.

#13 ·
I loved the game. I thought the voice acting was superb as well. The story was a little lacking but the gameplay mechanics made up for it. I just wish the game hadn't been delayed so many years. Prey was Portal before Portal was Portal.

#14 ·
Prey had everything I dislike in my shooters :p

1) Lame Enemies - enough with cannon fodder space dogs or whatever to annoy me.

2) Lame weapons - alien bio weapons almost universally = suck. I like earth guns

3) Lame Maps - crawling around a bio ship that looked like intestines may sound great on paper, but the entire game was basically one long Doom "Sewer Level" :p (that only means something to those of you playing shooters in the 90's I'm sure)

4) Humor....bad humor. Ethnic humor. Eh....humor doesn't really belong in a FPS where you are supposed to be killing without mercy. Horror comedies don't work.

5) A character I hated.....angry young indian guy desperate to get off the reservation. Yeah....ok. Too bad they didn't have his health-packs be bottles of whiskey just to seal the deal. There is stereotyping and then there is "you've got to be kidding me". Angry young guy with brand-new spirit world powers fights on biomechanical ship in space making bad jokes listening to aliens laugh about judas priest and watching innocents get dismembered. Too many cooks?

The Gravity puzzles were pretty lame and the walking on walls and ceilings, or changing their orientation, and the whole spirit world thing....sorry, not my kind of thing. To each his own, of course, I know people think HALO rocks.......Prey just was my idea of a bad shooter.

PREY was, to me, a bad 'throwback' shooter....Doom 3 without the scares....would have been great...4 or 5 years earlier. (edited: No, no it wouldn't have been)

Wasn't Prey the one that started out life as some kind of Viking FPS or...am i thinking of RUNE or some other game....

#16 ·
DNF is expected to be that way........Prey tried to play it serious until the game went stupid with the one-liners and wisecracks and Judas Priest listening aliens...different kind of thing. If you start off with a comedy vibe, its one thing......if you start off with a serious vibe where you beat some guys heads in with a wrench and then aliens invade and suddenly you are spouting one-liners, it tells me that the Direction of the game changed several times....

Which I believe was actually the case with Prey, the game that was coming out, then wasn't, then was...Prey was sort of Duke Nukem 'lite' for awhile there...

#17 ·
I loved Prey mainly because it had a critical feature that developers have since eliminated in all fps, quicksaving. If Prey2 has QS, I'll get it for sure. If not, I'll pass.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch /forum/post/20197688

Prey had everything I dislike in my shooters :p

1) Lame Enemies - enough with cannon fodder space dogs or whatever to annoy me.

2) Lame weapons - alien bio weapons almost universally = suck. I like earth guns

3) Lame Maps - crawling around a bio ship that looked like intestines may sound great on paper, but the entire game was basically one long Doom "Sewer Level" :p (that only means something to those of you playing shooters in the 90's I'm sure)

4) Humor....bad humor. Ethnic humor. Eh....humor doesn't really belong in a FPS where you are supposed to be killing without mercy. Horror comedies don't work.

5) A character I hated.....angry young indian guy desperate to get off the reservation. Yeah....ok. Too bad they didn't have his health-packs be bottles of whiskey just to seal the deal. There is stereotyping and then there is "you've got to be kidding me". Angry young guy with brand-new spirit world powers fights on biomechanical ship in space making bad jokes listening to aliens laugh about judas priest and watching innocents get dismembered. Too many cooks?

The Gravity puzzles were pretty lame and the walking on walls and ceilings, or changing their orientation, and the whole spirit world thing....sorry, not my kind of thing. To each his own, of course, I know people think HALO rocks.......Prey just was my idea of a bad shooter.

PREY was, to me, a bad 'throwback' shooter....Doom 3 without the scares....would have been great...4 or 5 years earlier. (edited: No, no it wouldn't have been)

Wasn't Prey the one that started out life as some kind of Viking FPS or...am i thinking of RUNE or some other game....

LOL, now that is well said !!!
I agree 100%

#20 ·
Wooooooooooooooooooooooo! :d

#21 ·
lol

#22 ·
Hey, as long as I'm not some wisecracking Native American in a Gummi-Ship again, I'll be happy. Actually that is one of the things I hated about Quake IV too......another game I never even bothered to finish. I got to the point where my guy got turned into a cyborg and gave up completely :p

#23 ·
I'm a sucker for id style games. Prey, Doom 3, Q4, among others always keep my attention.

#24 ·
Bringing an old thread back, but if Prey 2 is anything like what this trailer shows, I will def get it. I didn't dislike Prey. Prey 2 looks like it's set in a more futuristic like Blade Runner setting. Looks like your character has been hijacked into the future or maybe it's all just another alien mind fr@k

#25 ·
Glad its not cancelled. It looks like a universe i'd like to visit. Theres also some nice concept art out there.

#26 ·
Futuristic Wild West?.....great, Prey 2 is now The Galaxy Rangers game! Its not a really promising thing to hear that a game has been delayed because the company making it thought it sucked...sorry..."didn't meet their standards"...or, translated, "sucked".

I'm a Prey Hater.....I did not like the first game. To me, a FPS comes down to three things: The enemies you fight, the world you fight them in, and the weapons you use to do the fighting...and Prey failed across all those accounts for me. I have no hope for Prey 2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.