5770 good for 1080p @ max settings? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 03-17-2011, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
new to gaming here. i'd like to use this card in a htpc for games like resident evil 5, street fighter 4, dirt, crysis 2, marvel vs capcom 3 (eventually if ever). It will be hooked up to an hdtv or projector which will support max resolution of 720 or 1080p, do i need a more powerful card to run these games at max settings at this resolution? if my display is max 1080p will i see that much more detail if i get a card that can run these games at higher resolutions with all settings maxed out? I have a samsung 46" lcd and vizio 47" lcd, can these tvs even see resolutions higher than 1080P from the card? or do max settings on a game "fake" 1080p into looking like a higher resolution?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-17-2011, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Short answer, No.

It really is going to depend on the game, some older games you'll be good to go, but most of the newer ones you are going to have to make some concessions in terms of eyecandy to get a good stable framerate with that card. When you say "max" we have to assume you mean it, including all the DX11 features like tessellation and such. Your HDTV's will not accept any higher resolutions than 1080p, but you won't be able to push them anyways so its a non factor.

I have a 5870 which is roughly the same performance as 2 5770's and I have to lower settings in some games.

With all that, your HTPC with that card will still outperform a console by a good margin.
post #3 of 19 Old 03-17-2011, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 48
As Tony mentioned, some of those games are much less demanding than the others.

Resident Evil 5 and Street Fighter IV should run nicely on a 5770 at the highest settings in 1080p.

However, a 5770 will more than likely render a slideshow for Crysis 2's highest settings. But, I'm sure you can get it to look nice.

As for Marvel vs. Capcom 3, if only we could be so lucky to see it get a PC release.
post #4 of 19 Old 03-17-2011, 02:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 153
I run an OC'd 5750 (to 5770 speeds) in my HTPC and it runs most DX9 games at 1080p with max settings other than AA, if I leave AA off then I can pretty much max out most everything else and maintain 30-60 fps. You can pretty much forget about DX11 and 1080p with a 5770. If you don't care about Crysis or Metro 2033 then you can run most everything else in DX9 and some DX10 @ 1080p with great results (assuming the rest of the system is up to the task... cpu/mem).

Jason
post #5 of 19 Old 03-17-2011, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony View Post

Short answer, No.

It really is going to depend on the game, some older games you'll be good to go, but most of the newer ones you are going to have to make some concessions in terms of eyecandy to get a good stable framerate with that card. When you say "max" we have to assume you mean it, including all the DX11 features like tessellation and such. Your HDTV's will not accept any higher resolutions than 1080p, but you won't be able to push them anyways so its a non factor.

yes, by max i want all the eye candy that i can squeeze into a 1080p resolution. again i'm not gaming on lcd monitors rather larger hdtvs. do the smaller higher resolution monitors give a bigger impact for gaming than larger low res hdtvs? I've always been into immersion wanting both sound and sight to take up my field of view

Quote:

I have a 5870 which is roughly the same performance as 2 5770's and I have to lower settings in some games.

With all that, your HTPC with that card will still outperform a console by a good margin.

for real? a 5770 already outclasses the gpu in a 360 or ps3??
post #6 of 19 Old 03-17-2011, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

As Tony mentioned, some of those games are much less demanding than the others.

Resident Evil 5 and Street Fighter IV should run nicely on a 5770 at the highest settings in 1080p.

However, a 5770 will more than likely render a slideshow for Crysis 2's highest settings. But, I'm sure you can get it to look nice.

I hate to admit but i've never actually played crysis but have seen and read a lot about it and know it's used as a benchmark. My inclusion of it as a requirement for my gaming is that if i get a card that can handle crysis, then i should be fairly confident in my card being able to handle most games i've interested in, many being simulations of some kind (racing, air combat, tomb raider-ish adventure)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

As for Marvel vs. Capcom 3, if only we could be so lucky to see it get a PC release.

yea sorry i'm not up to date with whats out there for pc. i'm using a part hypothetical list right now
post #7 of 19 Old 03-17-2011, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

I run an OC'd 5750 (to 5770 speeds) in my HTPC and it runs most DX9 games at 1080p with max settings other than AA, if I leave AA off then I can pretty much max out most everything else and maintain 30-60 fps. You can pretty much forget about DX11 and 1080p with a 5770. If you don't care about Crysis or Metro 2033 then you can run most everything else in DX9 and some DX10 @ 1080p with great results (assuming the rest of the system is up to the task... cpu/mem).

Jason

forgive my ignorance but what is the big difference between dx9, dx10 and dx11?

speaking of crysis, does the 1st crysis tax a 5770 as much as cysis 2? maybe i can make due with that??
post #8 of 19 Old 03-17-2011, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

i'd like to think about the other components in the htpc, is there a website or thread that details what the minimum cpu and ram size +speed to be used with a specific video card to avoid bottleneck. I have just been asking about the card but have to think about the cpu too. should i stick to dual core or are quad cores required for the game's i've listed?

thanks for all the help and advice guys.
post #9 of 19 Old 03-17-2011, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravs View Post

I hate to admit but i've never actually played crysis but have seen and read a lot about it and know it's used as a benchmark. My inclusion of it as a requirement for my gaming is that if i get a card that can handle crysis, then i should be fairly confident in my card being able to handle most games i've interested in, many being simulations of some kind (racing, air combat, tomb raider-ish adventure)???

Crysis is still a good measure, but Metro 2033's maximum settings takes things even further and makes even a GTX 580 struggle.

The important thing is that the 5770 should do a good job with racing games in general, as well as with the Tomb Raider series and HAWX.

Quote:

forgive my ignorance but what is the big difference between dx9, dx10 and dx11???

DirectX 11 primarily adds tessellation, and the relevant games often use it to significant effect. This is what's currently bringing most GPU configurations to their knees.

Quote:

i'd like to think about the other components in the htpc, is there a website or thread that details what the minimum cpu and ram size +speed to be used with a specific video card to avoid bottleneck. I have just been asking about the card but have to think about the cpu too. should i stick to dual core or are quad cores required for the game's i've listed???

The web site Tom's Hardware often has articles that map out the best hardware at differing price ranges.

If you are building from scratch, get at least 4GB of RAM and a modern quad-core CPU. The games you mention would do fine with a dual-core chip, but quad is now the standard and will do considerably better with new and yet-to-be released games. Something like a Core i5 2500K should have you set for a long time; The easy, yet significant overclocking that can be achieved with that chip ensures its lifespan.
post #10 of 19 Old 03-18-2011, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

The 360's GPU is basically an underclocked x1900. So it was a little ahead of the game for maybe a couple months.
The PS3's GPU is basically a 7800GT which put it a couple months behind right out of the gate.
And this means the 5770 is several generations more advanced than either of the console GPUs.

Seeing games like Assassin's Creed or Killzone produced from the console's relatively ancient hardware is something like a miracle. And it really speaks to the advantages of platform targeted development. But this also gives some validity to the PC gamer arguments regarding consoles holding them back. But considering the amount of money and focus consoles bring to the industry, I believe their existence is a net positive.

Anyways, I have some experience with the 5770 in a HTPC build I did for my brother. It's a great little card with nice power, heat and performance numbers. You'll be able to have an excellent gaming experience with some setting tweaks. And definitely no AA at native resolution. Although I encourage you to experiment with rendering at 720p. Sometimes the additional image quality you can produce will more than make up for the required scaling.

Gamer Tag: Todd Stevens
post #11 of 19 Old 03-18-2011, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yes, by max i want all the eye candy that i can squeeze into a 1080p resolution. again i'm not gaming on lcd monitors rather larger hdtvs. do the smaller higher resolution monitors give a bigger impact for gaming than larger low res hdtvs? I've always been into immersion wanting both sound and sight to take up my field of view

Well, if you want ALL the eyecandy on, all the time, then you'll need a much more powerful card that the 5770. It will cost you a ton more too, instead of $125 you're looking at around $350+. Something like a GTX 570, or Radeon HD 6970 would be a good place to start. If you can do SLI, there is a Galaxy GTX 460 SLI kit that has a $70 rebate right now, end cost is around $250. I can't think of a better solution for that price range.

And yes, a 5770 is much more powerful than either the PS3 or the 360 GPU. Consoles now are having to resort to really low resolutions like 1024x600 to get high framerates.

Like I said earlier, I run a 5870 and still have to make concessions in some games. But, they still look really good! Take Metro 2033 for example, on very high, DX11, with tessellation and all that on its practically a slide show. But, turn it to DX10, high settings and it runs and looks great.

I've seen the 5870 go for as low as $180 recently so that's something to keep as an option if have a big enough case.
post #12 of 19 Old 03-18-2011, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Right now the best bang for the buck would probably bee a Palit GTX460. They can be had for $135 after rebate. My son is using one with an AMD X4 955 and it runs everything he has thrown at it at 1080P. (Oblivion, Starcaraft II, Just cause, LOTRO)

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #13 of 19 Old 03-18-2011, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone View Post
Right now the best bang for the buck would probably bee a Palit GTX460. They can be had for $135 after rebate. My son is using one with an AMD X4 955 and it runs everything he has thrown at it at 1080P. (Oblivion, Starcaraft II, Just cause, LOTRO)
Careful though, that Palit card is the SE version which is pretty severely gimped. It has only 288 cores compared to the normal 336. IMO you are better off paying the extra $20 to get a full featured card.
post #14 of 19 Old 03-18-2011, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 59
For $20 more I would go 6850 instead. Can you get the 336 core version for $155? When I bought my sons there was a $50 price difference.

Frank J. Cone

XBox Live / Steam: FCONE

Please do not form any opinion of the content of this post, it is still in BETA.

post #15 of 19 Old 03-18-2011, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone View Post

For $20 more I would go 6850 instead. Can you get the 336 core version for $155? When I bought my sons there was a $50 price difference.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127551

$146 after MIR.

Performance wise the 460 and 6850 are very comparable. Comes down to whether you like the green brand or the red brand
post #16 of 19 Old 04-11-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:

And neither of the Xbox or PS3 do AA, and in reality, almost all their games are actually 720p, not 1080p.
post #17 of 19 Old 04-11-2011, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127551

$146 after MIR.

Performance wise the 460 and 6850 are very comparable. Comes down to whether you like the green brand or the red brand

Hey Tony, if you ever see a legit GTX 460 1 gig card for $135 shipped, with no tax to californians (no newegg), then please PM me. $135 is my cutoff limit, but I need a legit 1 gig version, not a gimped SE version, or a 765mb version. Certainly, $135 shipped to California is going to be difficult, but I have tell early June. I'm definitely trying to look around myself all the time, but if you happen to see something, just PM me. You might end up hearing about a deal before I do, and these specials can sell out quick.
post #18 of 19 Old 04-12-2011, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Hey Tony, if you ever see a legit GTX 460 1 gig card for $135 shipped, with no tax to californians (no newegg), then please PM me. $135 is my cutoff limit, but I need a legit 1 gig version, not a gimped SE version, or a 765mb version. Certainly, $135 shipped to California is going to be difficult, but I have tell early June. I'm definitely trying to look around myself all the time, but if you happen to see something, just PM me. You might end up hearing about a deal before I do, and these specials can sell out quick.

Tigerdirect ok? They usually have 10 off coupons floating around. Try clearing your cookies/cache and visit their site, sometimes a pop up will show that gives you the coupon. They generally have about the same deals as newegg and the same rebates.
post #19 of 19 Old 04-12-2011, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:

Tigerdirect ok? They usually have 10 off coupons floating around. Try clearing your cookies/cache and visit their site, sometimes a pop up will show that gives you the coupon. They generally have about the same deals as newegg and the same rebates.

Yeah, TigerDirect would work fine. No tax in Cali.

I'll keep an eye on their deals. I'll still watch newegg too, but I'd need a pretty good rebate or something to get under that $135 cutoff point that I've set for myself. TigerDirect will probably be easier.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page