Build a new HTPC or gaming PC? Or merge both? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-30-2011, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a PC which I'm currently using as a HTPC running XBMC. The specs are as follows:

Intel Q6600 quad core processor
Gigabyte GA-EG45M-UD2H motherboard
Seagate 2 TB Hard drive
ATI HD 5850 card
3 GB DDR2 RAM
Windows 7
Logitech MK 250 wireless keyboard and mouse
Onkyo TX SR605 AV Receiver
Infocus IN72 Projector

I was using this system for gaming and then decided to connect this to my home theater through HDMI (on the ATI card) and started using it as a full fledged gaming system.

Now, I'm miss playing my games and want to start again. What prevents me from using my current system is that there is always a lag in the wireless keyboard and mouse which makes it unsuitable for any kind of gaming. I believe this is because of the auto-off functionality of the keyboard/mouse feature of Logitech. And the system is too far away placed to use a wired keyboard/mouse. Plus I only have couches and do not have a desk on which I can place my keyboard/mouse to play games (which is a must for playing Call of Duty or Warhammer games).

1. Can you suggest some other way of using this PC for playing games? Possibly a better wireless keyboard / mouse which will not have lag?

2. Or should I build a separate HTPC using an i3 sandy bridge and H55 chipset and use the above system for my gaming?

3. Or should I buy a ATI 5450 card and use it with the above system and instead build a i5 sandy bridge system for my gaming PC which will utilize my current ATI 5850 card?

Much appreciate any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-16-2011, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Honestly, an i3 based system would probably be better for gaming. I say put the 5850 in an i3 system (for now) and go from there. Put a lower end HTPC type video card in that rig and keep it in the living room. With a quad core you could rip/convert and play back media at the same time. With most games the quad core won't even be an advantage, you're better off with the i3 as your gaming processor.

the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled... People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. Cicero , 55 BC
post #3 of 9 Old 05-16-2011, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by getme View Post

Honestly, an i3 based system would probably be better for gaming. I say put the 5850 in an i3 system (for now) and go from there. Put a lower end HTPC type video card in that rig and keep it in the living room. With a quad core you could rip/convert and play back media at the same time. With most games the quad core won't even be an advantage, you're better off with the i3 as your gaming processor.

Thanks! Thats exactly what I'm planning to do. Will probably buy a ATI 5450 card and stick it in the Q6600 system and create an i3 system for gaming.
post #4 of 9 Old 05-16-2011, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Thanks! Thats exactly what I'm planning to do. Will probably buy a ATI 5450 card and stick it in the Q6600 system and create an i3 system for gaming.

You could get Xbox Wireless controller for Windows and use that with your current PC for gaming. Or look into higher end offering from logitech for replacement keyboard and mouse. http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/keyboa...s/devices/6541 I personally like HTPC/Gaming separate and Work PC separate. That way you can do gaming on your htpc on big screen. My work computer is my ibm laptop and htpc/gaming rig is the same.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-17-2011, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewpost3 View Post

Do it if you have money to burn. That Q6600 is plenty enough for any game you can imagine to throw at it. So in my opinion you would have to be a bit of an idiot (no offense) to get an i3 which is a dual core with two virtual cores. You want to ditch your native quad core for that is a bit interesting to see.

Well I don't agree with you. If I need separate systems for HTPC and gaming, it makes sense to dedicate the Q6600 to the HTPC and build an i3 system for gaming. I don't deny that the Q6600 is good enough for gaming at present. But I need another system and an i3 would be ideal. Both Anandtech bench and Tom's Hardware benchmarks show atleast a 30% improvement in frame rates for an i3 over a Q6600. There is no point in buying another outdated system when you can buy something that will game another 3-4 years comfortably (which the Q6600 wont for sure).
post #6 of 9 Old 05-17-2011, 12:07 AM

You replied before I finished editing

You are also disagreeing based on Anand's tech and Tom's hardware who don't know arse. Here are two more legit sources to show you otherwise:
http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Ha...lenecks/5.html
http://www.guru3d.com/article/cpu-sc...e-processors/9

The only exception is 1024x768 resolution. But I am assuming you are not gaming at that on your big screen TV? Then again the choice is yours as it is your money. I picked the pages showing Crysis benchmark because I would like to stress that if Crysis isn't able to take cpu advantage over a certain point, then no other game out presently in the market can. Ask in those forums (guru 3d) as this forum isn't the place for in-depth knowledge about HTPC... (really). This section in AVS forum suffices "ONLY" to just get you started. Anandtech and tom's hardware both NEVER give you the whole picture and I always had a negative experience following their advice on pc components. They are ok to just give you numbers but they both lack skills in properly interpreting the results. Just my 2 cents.

Quote:
which the Q6600 wont for sure

I fear that you are just heavily misguided. But hopefully not to the point of no return.
For the sake of simplicity if we define playable to be >= 30 fps. Hypothetically if a game runs at 8 fps with your Q6600 at reasonable resolution, then maybe an i3 will bump it to extravagant 9 fps (but certainly not 30 fps) rendering BOTH cpus "unplayable" so your argument here has no merit. You starting to realize the type of skills Anandtech and Tomshardware both lack now? They are merely just good number crunchers. But you should be just as critical to them as you are on this forum. But feel free to disagree.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-17-2011, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 37
If you're using a 64-bit OS, just plop more RAM into your machine and then you can put the machine on double duty. It would be significantly cheaper than building a new box. I've got a Q6600 with 16GB of RAM and a 1GB GTS 450 and it plows through anything I throw at it, both 1080p gaming and HD media, which is what you would be doing.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-17-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
If you're using a 64-bit OS, just plop more RAM into your machine and then you can put the machine on double duty. It would be significantly cheaper than building a new box. I've got a Q6600 with 16GB of RAM and a 1GB GTS 450 and it plows through anything I throw at it, both 1080p gaming and HD media, which is what you would be doing.

+1

There you have another poster who agrees with my post above.. Keep the Q6600 unless you have money to burn.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-23-2011, 10:12 PM

Liked: 18
I have very similar system to you as an HTPC, and like you the biggest problem I have is finding a good wireless setup. I have xbox controllers but they are not as responsive as a mouse and keyboard. I have tried different wireless accessories and all have just not worked well. What I am doing for now is running a USB cable under a rug which goes under the couch. I put a USB hub under the couch and it keeps the recievers closer. I would like to see a better device though that does not try so hard to save power. LMK if you find any better solutions. I saw a mod once where a guy tacked a new antennea onto his wireless keyboard and apparently it made all the difference.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page