AVS Forum banner

Are we ever going to see another Wing Commander?

3K views 41 replies 16 participants last post by  LexInVA 
#1 ·
I really enjoyed Wing Commander III: Heart of the Tiger as well as Wing Commander IV: The Price of Freedom. Do you guys think we will ever see another in the series?

#27 ·
Not unless they can find a way to make it into a FPS.... From the game publisher's point of view, space sims are dead. I don't know why though, as there are TONs of fans out there still that would love to see an updated "Tie Fighter", or "Wing Commander". But the publishers don't want anything that requires more than 4-6 buttons and a directional pad to work, and people who love this genera would be up in arms if they dumbed down the controls that much.

#29 ·
I'd be happy as a clam with a 64-bit version of the X-Wing and TIE Fighter games with updated graphics, 36-player (or more if possible) multi-player madness, and true-to-scale ships for a change. Certainly doable with today's hardware. X-Wing Alliance was a pretty sweet game and it runs okay on today's systems with some hacking but we NEEEEEEEEEEED something that just works.

#32 ·
OOOH! that's cool, I just completed Dues Ex human revolution and will probably need something else soon to waste CPU power on, thanks.

It should be updated graphics and game play wise too so it should look way better then the original did, which wasn't bad considering the time and the machines we had.

#35 ·
I was just thinking this yesterday when the WC movie theme came on in my car stereo. Wife was pretty pleased with the music, too. Till I told her it was from a movie based off of a game from the 90's

A massive Star Wars game XvT or XWA style would be freaking incredible. 64 players, HD graphics... command an ISD or a group of fighters, a la Battlestations Midway/Pacific.

#36 ·
oh some cool memories popping up here. Gravis ultrasound, lol, largest sound card I think I ever had. awe64 gold, Diamond monster 3dfx, The money I spent on some of these things just scares me

Wing Commander is still my fav scifi game of all time. I have to give the new user created Wing Commander a try if I can ever put down skyrim. Curse EA for taking away Origin and with it, Wing Commander and my other fav game of all time....Ultima.

#39 ·
I wonder if Chris Roberts has thought about using KickStarter for WC? I imagine that EA still owns the rights, but maybe do the spiritual successor or something.

I'd kick him a few $$

#40 ·
With respect to all developers, I'm starting to feel like there is a new Kickstarter campaign launched every 30 seconds.

My problem is the potential for abuse..."Nah, we...COULD make a modern version of, say, Airborne Ranger for the C64...but....well.....only if you people pony up half of the development cost. Then we will sell it to you for full price".

Its like, small stuff ok...but you can totally see EA trying to Prison-Rape the general gaming populous...

#41 ·
I don't think EA needs kickstarter. They did bring back Syndicate on their own.

Hopefully the "bring back the oldies" movement will bring some good games quickly and cheaply.

I'd love to see a few old games re-done: M1 Tank Platoon, HomeWorld, Airborne Ranger, Wing Commander, Strike Commander, etc..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.