What defining moment in PC Gaming made you realize that you had a lifelong hobby? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 42 Old 05-08-2011, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
What defining moment in PC Gaming made you realize that you had a lifelong hobby?

I have gamed since Wolfenstein, but for me it was the day Carmack release GLquake upon the world. It made Quake come alive and gaming entered in new era of realism. I knew then, that I had a hobby that would be with me for many years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 05-08-2011, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Counter Strike Beta did the online FPS thing for me. Prior to that I was into single player games only (a lot of flight sims). But 1st real online gaming even before CS was combat flight sims, spent a lot of time with European Air War and all its mods.

I guess the 1st real exp with computer sim was when in 1967(8/9?) when I took a computer class in high school. Wrote a lunar lander sim using punch cards (yes I am that ancient ). At that pt I realized I didn't have to be really good in maths since a machine (computer) can do it faster and better then I could ever do . Did a lot of board games and table top minture modern warfare 1/285 scale tanks etc before a 2-3 year stint writing military sims for DoD (Canadian) in Directorate of Land Operations Research really got me started with war sims on a computer.

You do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.
post #3 of 42 Old 05-08-2011, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Tinker goes way back.

Like you I took a computer course that boosted my interest in computers, but it was a course in C++.

What really convinced me that PC gaming is a worthwhile hobby was the original Half-Life. It was of course a game like no other, and let us know that games can be even more engrossing than a good film.
post #4 of 42 Old 05-08-2011, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
The original team fortress for Quake was just as exciting to me as the original super Mario brothers.

I loved the levels Canal and Well.

The old LucasArts titles, Tie Fighter and X-Wing were awesome!!!

I later switched over to consoles during college as that was what everyone was using.

However, all of these next-gen console experiences coming about today were readily available in the mid 90s.

I remember mailing away for some voodoo 3dfx card with some red print on the all white packaging. Can't remember the brand! It did make the water see through though! Haha.

post #5 of 42 Old 05-08-2011, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 240
The first time I installed doom, I was hooked for life!!! I used to play over the modem with a friend for 6-8 hours at a time! man we had fun.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #6 of 42 Old 05-08-2011, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalmieri1203 View Post

I remember mailing away for some voodoo 3dfx card with some red print on the all white packaging. Can't remember the brand! It did make the water see through though! Haha.

Canopos Pure 3D? 6 Megs allowed for 800 x 600 on some games without Z buffer.
post #7 of 42 Old 05-08-2011, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post

Canopos Pure 3D? 6 Megs allowed for 800 x 600 on some games without Z buffer.

That's correct sir!! Looked up the boxart and that's the one. I forgot how I stumbled on it as the card for me but it worked great at the time.

post #8 of 42 Old 05-08-2011, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quake 3 got my interest, Half Life kept it.
post #9 of 42 Old 05-08-2011, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's correct sir!! Looked up the boxart and that's the one. I forgot how I stumbled on it as the card for me but it worked great at the time.

I had one also. I think MW2 was the only game that could run at 800 x 600 at the time.
post #10 of 42 Old 05-08-2011, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quake online multiplayer on my 33.6 modem...playing till 4am on a school night made me realize.

PSN:The_Wise_Guy
XBL:DirtySanWiseGuy
Steam:The_Wise_Guy
BF4 PC:The_Wise_Guy

post #11 of 42 Old 05-08-2011, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseGuy2k7 View Post

Quake online multiplayer on my 33.6 modem...playing till 4am on a school night made me realize.

Quake really sealed the deal for a lot of people I think. The amount of mods and skins that came out of it were fantastic. There was a time where I feel like that quake demo disc was just as prevalent as those AOL CD-ROMs

post #12 of 42 Old 05-08-2011, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:

Dungeons of Daggorath on the trs 80

Ultima 1 is another
post #13 of 42 Old 05-08-2011, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
"Enchanted Scepters" on the 512 Mac back in about '85. Been gamin on PC's ever since Other games along the way that kept me hooked, Myst, Flashback, Marathon 1&2, Doom 1&2, and the lost goes on....
post #14 of 42 Old 05-08-2011, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

QuakeWorld.
post #15 of 42 Old 05-08-2011, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quake really sealed the deal for a lot of people I think. The amount of mods and skins that came out of it were fantastic. There was a time where I feel like that quake demo disc was just as prevalent as those AOL CD-ROMs

I can remember having hundreds of user created mods/levels on my hdd at the time. It was a great time for sure.

I can not believe no one mentioned Shareware, myself included. I wish shareware would make a comeback. It was great way to get a feel for the game. That is how I purchased Quake at the time. I believe ??? I called ID direct and paid $ 50.00 bucks over the phone and they gave me a code to unlocked the disk.

Who remembers "Dwango" and "Ten" for Duke Nukem dial up servers.
post #16 of 42 Old 05-08-2011, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There was a time where I feel like that quake demo disc was just as prevalent as those AOL CD-ROMs

Yeah, but the cool kids played Quake!
post #17 of 42 Old 05-08-2011, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post

I can remember having hundreds of user created mods/levels on my hdd at the time. It was a great time for sure.

I can not believe no one mentioned Shareware, myself included. I wish shareware would make a comeback. It was great way to get a feel for the game. That is how I purchased Quake at the time. I believe ??? I called ID direct and paid $ 50.00 bucks over the phone and they gave me a code to unlocked the disk.

Who remembers "Dwango" and "Ten" for Duke Nukem dial up servers.

What about the mplayer service?? I used that for red alert.

post #18 of 42 Old 05-08-2011, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 144
The first Unreal game, the single player game. I think it came out in 1998. Also, the first time that I saw the original Tomb Raider running on a 3Dfx card. That was even earlier in early 1996.

Truth be told though, I didn't stick with PC gaming forever. I went back to console gaming during the Dreamcast to PS3 era's. Basically the last decade. I'm just returning to PC gaming now. What brought me back? Looking at this thread on neogaf, where people post nothing but screenshots of amazing PC games. Seeing those games running at crazy high resolutions with all the effects maxed out, it looks pretty amazing, and it made me think that I need to try out PC gaming again.

Basically, I guess whether you're a PC gamer or console gamer it doesn't really matter. We are all looking for the same thing. It's a never ending quest to find the most incredible interactive experience. It's all about what we can see and what we can hear, and how we interact. Until the day I die, I'll continue searching for the Holy Grail in gaming experiences. I guess the Holodeck would be the ultimate dream.
post #19 of 42 Old 05-09-2011, 12:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Realm of Impossibility - Atari 800XL (a few Com64 and Apple IIe games had me interested but this game really pulled me into the world of 'pc' gaming)

First Unreal on SLi'd 12meg VooDoo2's, I have very fond memories of running out and grabbing 2 of these cards and Unreal on the first day available and then playing until I fell asleep on the pc desk (waking up to strange chanting from the game).

Of course... Half-Life, this was not so much a game as it was an experience that changed gaming forever.

Jason
post #20 of 42 Old 05-09-2011, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

What about the mplayer service?? I used that for red alert.

how about Heat.net service.lol Believe they had the option to create a room to play games like Duke Nukem with ppls. Then they also held tournies for prize money.

PSN:The_Wise_Guy
XBL:DirtySanWiseGuy
Steam:The_Wise_Guy
BF4 PC:The_Wise_Guy

post #21 of 42 Old 05-09-2011, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I grew up playing videogame, my dad got us all into it

So much memories, playing the boxing game with the kangooroo (can't remember the name ) when i was like... 8

The thing that really got me hooked to PC Games tho must be Gemfire. Playing coop turn-based with my dad. so many hours spent doing this together. It was awesome.

Also completing the LucasArt's point-and-click games (Loom, Monkey Island) together or everyone seperate and asking others for help when we're stuck

Or playing games like Decent/Hexen/X-Wing/Quake in lan in our basement. My father is really into PC Gaming so we had couple of rig to play on.

Can't forget the Versus in Command & Conquer, Warcraft,... Only beated my father once, because he wasn't allowed to us Tesla tower I was young. I can now beat him in SC2!!
post #22 of 42 Old 05-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 620
Doom, MechWarrior 2, Quake, Duke3d... all those got my sucked into PC gaming and there was no turning back. Was already swappin' out 3d accelerator cards before stuff like Half Life came out. By then, I had already been running a Riva TNT + Voodoo2 combo. I miss my old Soundblaster AWE64 and Soundblaster Live sound cards. Haha! My first multiplayer was lil bits of Duke and Quake on mPlayer waaaayyy back. Some stuff on some old version of Gamespy, Im sure. But the game that sealed the deal for multi was Counterstrike .6 Beta. Old school.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #23 of 42 Old 05-09-2011, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
Doom, MechWarrior 2, Quake, Duke3d... all those got my sucked into PC gaming and there was no turning back. Was already swappin' out 3d accelerator cards before stuff like Half Life came out. By then, I had already been running a Riva TNT + Voodoo2 combo. I miss my old Soundblaster AWE64 and Soundblaster Live sound cards. Haha! My first multiplayer was lil bits of Duke and Quake on mPlayer waaaayyy back. Some stuff on some old version of Gamespy, Im sure. But the game that sealed the deal for multi was Counterstrike .6 Beta. Old school.
Scott, I just saw your Sub... Your neighbors must love you. I could only imagine the base coming from that!
post #24 of 42 Old 05-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 620
*laughs* Thanks and they are getting upgraded too. More of them, a LOT more of them.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #25 of 42 Old 05-09-2011, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

wolf3d, xwing, or wing commander privateer. Maybe Dune2
post #26 of 42 Old 05-09-2011, 03:13 PM

First time I tried Half-Life with some friends on LAN (around 1999 or so I think). There's nothing like being in the same room with friends having some beers and talking **** while you murder each other
post #27 of 42 Old 05-09-2011, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer11 View Post

First time I tried Half-Life with some friends on LAN (around 1999 or so I think). There's nothing like being in the same room with friends having some beers and talking **** while you murder each other

I remember reading about half life along with prey in pc gamer. I remember how they hyped up the military AI. Well deserved hype!

post #28 of 42 Old 05-09-2011, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Wolfenstein 3d. But it was in the late 90s that I got around to playing it. Late bloomer, I guess.
post #29 of 42 Old 05-09-2011, 03:49 PM

Back in 2001 and playing Counter Strike in the Dorms, yelling down the hall and having LAN party's every few months. Talk about some great times playing amazing games and spending countless hours just having a good time. In fact all of my college friends and I still call each other by our CS names.

post #30 of 42 Old 05-10-2011, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

LOL, I think I'm one of the long-timers here. I'm 35 and got my start in the late 80s playing games like Leisure Suit Larry.

I'd go ask my mom all the trivia questions so I could see the pixel boobies.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page