No wonder hardly anybody is gaming on a 2560 x 1600 monitor... they cost a fortune! - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 67 Old 02-17-2012, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Wait for 4k.

4k on +100" screen will blow away these "set's". Lmao!

Actually, I heard at CES that a few TV companies are coming out with sets later this year that go beyond 1080p. I don't think they were 4K thought, but they were termed "Ultra High Definition" or something like that. I'm pretty sure they are going to cost about 4 grand or so.

I'd rather throw the grand that I would have to spend toward one of these sets....

I think...

Sure a 4K projector would be a dream, but I'm guessing it will be 10 years before I can afford that..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 67 Old 02-17-2012, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Actually, I heard at CES that a few TV companies are coming out with sets later this year that go beyond 1080p. I don't think they were 4K thought, but they were termed "Ultra High Definition" or something like that. I'm pretty sure they are going to cost about 4 grand or so.

I think Toshiba or JVC are marketing Ultra High Definition or something, but you'll have to file it under "who cares" because there is no native content to feed it. It will be like the early days of HD programming, people would sit and watch test pattern loops just to see it in HD :P

We are in a world wide recession, broadband is being capped all over, they really don't need to introduce another format that wil suck up bandwidth or force people to embrace yet another new "format" to own the movie, be it disc, cartridge or Flash Ram..whatever tech they come up with. They can't even stream 1080p without compressing the hell out of it. I don't need higher resolution....to be perfectly honest the companies are about to hit another brick wall, they have run out of boom-times.....there just isn't anything worth writing home about to sell us now...receiver companies can't do much better than selling us lossless formats and asking us to jam even more speakers into our rooms....

Its like 3D......most people who own 3D sets are now sticking the un-used glasses in the cabinet drawer next to the deck of playing cards and the old VHS remote.

Xbox Live / PS3 / Steam: HeadRusch1
Keeping the world safe from the evil antics of Bernie Tanaka and Mel Fujitsu since 1986

post #63 of 67 Old 02-17-2012, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The answer to all the above is bring on the "Holodeck" !!!!!!

You do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.
post #64 of 67 Old 02-18-2012, 02:25 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked: 1033
Quote:

I'd rather throw the grand that I would have to spend toward one of these sets....

I think...

Sure a 4K projector would be a dream, but I'm guessing it will be 10 years before I can afford that..

Yeah, I know. I was there.

I saw these tv's and what you're thinking of IS 4k. Toshiba had some (and pretty much every other major tv making brand) along with some glasses-free 3D tv's (which looked awful btw). Only one company (Sharp) was showing off anything beyond 4k and that was their proprietary 8k screen. I saw that and it was awesome but don't look forward to seeing anything like that on the consumer level in America anytime soon. Otoh, the push for 4K is VERY real and you will start hearing a lot more about them by the years end and with them being 'common' in the next year or two. Though maybe 2-3 years before they get really affordable but it's hard to say for sure.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #65 of 67 Old 02-18-2012, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Are you referring to the Acer H5360 (I think that's the right model #) ? If so, what about the fact that it's only 720p ? Is the 3D really worth it considering the drop in resolution?

I've never used a projector, but i now use a 46" 3DTV in 720p and i somewhat agree 720p(3D) is better than 2560(2D) for gaming, but only for immersive gaming with great scenery, where you'd like to be in the game world, maybe its not for puzzle games. I came from a 3007wfp-hc, which i used for 4 years.

I'm thinking about going with the 3D Asus 27" now for many reasons, lots of games dont support AA, like many console ports, or they do, but they blur the screen (Bad Company 2 and Metro 2033). You don't want any blurring or aliasing at 720. Also, it does 1080p in 3D via dual link DVI of course. One reason im now considering the 27" is that i didn't know they had such great articulating desk mounts out now. So i can pull it closer for a better FoV and move it away easily whenever i sit up straight.

One thing i only recently realized about my 30" vs my 46" is the matte screen. The matte screen on my Dell was so thick, it had a screen door effect. I use many of the same desktop backgrounds now with the 46" that i used with the Dell and i wonder where the grid pattern went! It was that bad.
post #66 of 67 Old 02-18-2012, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRusch View Post

I think Toshiba or JVC are marketing Ultra High Definition or something, but you'll have to file it under "who cares" because there is no native content to feed it. It will be like the early days of HD programming, people would sit and watch test pattern loops just to see it in HD :P

Well, I thought that part of the reason for 4K is the fact that you can do passive 3D at full resolution. So, that's one thing they have going for them. The other thing is computer gaming. If PC games can run at 2560 x 1600, then eventually I'd think that developers would start looking at the possibility of running at 3840 x 2160. Certainly, you're going to need one hell of a video card to run games at that resolution, but eventually it's going to happen.
post #67 of 67 Old 03-09-2012, 02:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
What about the whole 120Hz tn monitor 120 frames per second argument. If you get a big Dell it only does 60Hz. You could buy 3 120Hz monitors and do a nice eyefinity setup for the same price.

Fast response 120Hz monitors are the way to go for pc gaming, from what i've read.
Reply HTPC Gaming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page