Diablo 3 - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-16-2012, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I can't figure out how to get my demon hunter girl to use swords or axes yet. Or is she only able to use crossbows and ranged stuff?
Was only able to play for a few min last night up to level 3 then logged off to eat and could not log back in all night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia88 View Post

I can't figure out how to get my demon hunter girl to use swords or axes yet. Or is she only able to use crossbows and ranged stuff?

The DH does have weapon limitations. That is one reason I choose a wizard for my first build. My wizard is saving good bows for my DH, who will be next.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 1463
How's it holding up today? Thinking of taking tomorrow off.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Old 05-16-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

How's it holding up today? Thinking of taking tomorrow off.

Was down from 10-1230am last night, up when I got on at 4am...but started getting some latency around 7...so the server loads were picking up. Not sure how it has been doing today at work, as those sites are blocked from me here .
Old 05-16-2012, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

Was only able to play for a few min last night up to level 3 then logged off to eat and could not log back in all night.

You need to allow Elective Mode in the options menu. This way you can bind your skill to the key you want so you can have the default attack on your mouse click. Keep in mind that you won't be able to use crossbow skills using a sword

Some weapons can't be used by some classes tho (ie the 2-hand weapon are barb only).
Old 05-16-2012, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashboard View Post

You need to allow Elective Mode in the options menu. This way you can bind your skill to the key you want so you can have the default attack on your mouse click. Keep in mind that you won't be able to use crossbow skills using a sword

Some weapons can't be used by some classes tho (ie the 2-hand weapon are barb only).

Not sure why you would want to use melee weapons with a DH. Am I missing something here? The character is built to kite enemies with ranged weapons, not fight up close.

I'm currently dual-wielding hand-crossbows. I got a rare 2-hand crossbow drop from the Skeleton King but its stats were not very good.

PSN/XBOX Live: Destro75
BattleNet Tag: BaronessMD#1680

Steam: vpnath

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Dual-SLI

Old 05-16-2012, 03:15 PM

Yea the DH arrows just seemed to heat seek out the baddies. A bit easy really. The game let me put the sword onto my character equipment sheet but would not use it. If I'm not allowed to use certain items the game needs to say so.
I assume the game will get harder as I get beyond level 3.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The game let me put the sword onto my character equipment sheet but would not use it. If I'm not allowed to use certain items the game needs to say so.

You are allowed to use them but some DH spells require bows. It sounds like you don't have advanced tool tips turned on.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Yea the DH arrows just seemed to heat seek out the baddies. A bit easy really. The game let me put the sword onto my character equipment sheet but would not use it. If I'm not allowed to use certain items the game needs to say so.
I assume the game will get harder as I get beyond level 3.

I'm only lvl 10 but it definitely gets harder. Enemies will close on you quickly and kill you if you don't evade. You have to stay mobile and attack from a distance to survive. Vault, caltrops and smoke screen are your friends!

PSN/XBOX Live: Destro75
BattleNet Tag: BaronessMD#1680

Steam: vpnath

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Dual-SLI

Old 05-16-2012, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
It definitely gets harder. Particularly if you are a glass cannon class you need to be on the move and use your defensive/kiting abilities wisely.

And if difficulty is really something that worries you, don't forget that you unlock 3 more higher difficulty modes as you go.

PSN / Steam - KrimsonStudios
Old 05-16-2012, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

So the AH has been pretty sketchy so far. Up and down, and acting funny. Nevertheless I started poking my head around in their to see what's up.

OMG

There is super cheap Rare gear available (the yellow stuff). Was finding good rare gear for like 500g a piece or so. And it's not soul bound so you can always sell it when you're done.

I was putting my gold into crafting previously but now that I realize how accessible this good gear is from the AH I will definitely just be saving and filling in my upgrades from there.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:25 PM

Level 7 demon hunter and I'm now seeing how mele weapons work. I had to have a skill set along with the weapon to use them. Suddenly it all makes sense. But mele and demon hunter is really sad to see. Gold is hard to come by so far in the game. A shopkeeper near the blacksmith in tristan had some good stuff but was charging waaaaay to much.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson View Post

So the AH has been pretty sketchy so far. Up and down, and acting funny. Nevertheless I started poking my head around in their to see what's up.

OMG

There is super cheap Rare gear available (the yellow stuff). Was finding good rare gear for like 500g a piece or so. And it's not soul bound so you can always sell it when you're done.

I was putting my gold into crafting previously but now that I realize how accessible this good gear is from the AH I will definitely just be saving and filling in my upgrades from there.

What class are you looking at? Are you talking about bid prices?

I looked at rare items for a wizard and didn't see anything for close to 500 g.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Wizard. Level 17-25'ish gear. Buyout, not bids. I have all slots except 3 filled with fairly level appropriate rare quality gear now

I'm not saying everything is 500g, but I have been finding good stuff posted as low as 200g. Paid more like 1000-1500g for some, but still, this is cheaper then the level 8 blue crap you get from the vendor.

What I do is set my "Max Buyout" to 2000g to get a more manageable list, then sort by Buyout to get the cheapest at the top.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What I do is set my "Max Buyout" to 2000g to get a more manageable list, then sort by Buyout to get the cheapest at the top.

Setting the Max Buyout got me results I didn't see before.

This does look good.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 1463
Took today off, game is working great. Up to lvl 13...rapid fire demon hunter is so badass.

Thanks to dashboard with the sweet hookup on the guest pass, I'm totally hooked. I'm paying it forward....I've got two guest passes to give away, pm me if you want one.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Old 05-17-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wizard. Level 17-25'ish gear. Buyout, not bids. I have all slots except 3 filled with fairly level appropriate rare quality gear now

I'm not saying everything is 500g, but I have been finding good stuff posted as low as 200g. Paid more like 1000-1500g for some, but still, this is cheaper then the level 8 blue crap you get from the vendor.

Krimson,

Any wizard tips? I am currently level 18, and struggling in the oasis. My health drops like a rock when things gang on me, and I am not finding a successful combo of abilities to use. Arcane barrage is not good right now due to server latency delay, and orb has a nice splash but is underpowered. I currently am using arcane missles w/ split rune, arcane orb with damage rune, frost nova with exploding nova snare rune, arcane barrier with extra range rune.

I am having a horrible time finding good wiz gear, as it seems like everything dropping is not suited for me...maybe I should hit the AH and see if that helps some. I love the wizard, but am getting frustrated with him. The butcher took me 7 tries solo to take him down, in an 8minute epic fight. Damn thing was two shotting me and laughing!

Dustin
Old 05-17-2012, 09:50 AM

Liked: 10
So i have the game installed on my mac and was wondering how to setup two different characters so I can play and save separately from my daughter. Also can u take the same install disk and put the game on a different computer and then play online together? Do u even need the disk or can u just access the game via battle.net? Can u use the guest pass to play together using the same account?
Old 05-17-2012, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksnakeball View Post

So i have the game installed on my mac and was wondering how to setup two different characters so I can play and save separately from my daughter. Also can u take the same install disk and put the game on a different computer and then play online together? Do u even need the disk or can u just access the game via battle.net? Can u use the guest pass to play together using the same account?

She needs her own battlenet account, and a guest pass or game purchase. 1 copy of the game will only allow one person to be logged on at a time, as it keeps a unique ID.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:08 AM

Liked: 10
ok that's what i figured. So i can create a separate battle.net account and then use guest passes for the few times we might play apart.

But i can play the game on a different computer with my battle.net account without the install disk?

and how do i play the same game on the same machine as two distinct saveable characters?
Old 05-17-2012, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlconner View Post

Any wizard tips?

Dustin

See if this helps.
http://www.diablo3handbook.com/diablo-3-wizard-guide/
Old 05-17-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksnakeball View Post

ok that's what i figured. So i can create a separate battle.net account and then use guest passes for the few times we might play apart.

But i can play the game on a different computer with my battle.net account without the install disk?

and how do i play the same game on the same machine as two distinct saveable characters?

Yes, what the game checks for is if your battlenet account has valid activation of the product.

For distinct characters, you just create them in the character create screen. You can have up to 7 characters there. The nice thing about battlenet is your characters will be there, regardless of what machine you may ever log in on. The negative will be that if she creates a character on your account, and wants to play with you later, she can only use the characters on her battlenet account.

If she likes the game, it would probably be worth while to get her a copy so she can level up, and jump in to play with you whenever she wants without having to use a character that is far behind you.

Dustin

Dustin
Old 05-17-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sync View Post

See if this helps.
http://www.diablo3handbook.com/diablo-3-wizard-guide/

Thanks sync, I will have to check it out tonight.

Dustin
Old 05-17-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any wizard tips? I am currently level 18, and struggling in the oasis.

Well, I'm certainly no pro, but I can try to give you some tips. I haven't had too much trouble so far in Normal mode. Died once, but I was experiementing with skills at the time.

- Primarily play as a ranged class, and try to kite. I use "Electrocute" as my main spell and "Acane Orbs" spell as my nuke. I try to just stay at ranged and let the Templar Follower tank the mobs.

- I selected all the defensive / healing abilities for the Templar. Basically just trying to use him as a tank and a health battery.

- Use defensive abilities when you get swarmed to get away. The 3 I am using right now are Frost Nova, the "blast" spell that I can't remember that pushes everyone back, and Diamond Skin for when I can't escape damage.

So basically, just keep moving. Move move move. The wizard can't take much damage so you absolutely can't sit in the pocket using aoe damage spells. You need to try to fight from far away.

Use your health pots if you're going to die. You seem to get a ton more of these then you really need so don't be afraid to be liberal with using them.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Also, in the Oasis:

There is a bug creature that shoots out these little fly's at you. They are small and somewhat hard to notice, but if you get hit by the fly's they will NUKE your health. You need to be watching for those and move out of the way.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also, in the Oasis:

There is a bug creature that shoots out these little fly's at you. They are small and somewhat hard to notice, but if you get hit by the fly's they will NUKE your health. You need to be watching for those and move out of the way.

Yeah, I came across those bugs late last night. Thanks for the tips...it sounds like the main difference between us playing atm is frost shield vs. diamond shield. I was using electrocute, but it seemed like I was hitting a lot of lightning resistances so I switched to arcane missle. My gear is somewhat lacking atm due to bad luck with drops, so I will have to set some stuff up there and see if it helps out.

Thanks again,
dustin
Old 05-17-2012, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Personally I think all the "Armor" spells, like Frost Armor, are a waste of a skill slot. They are dependent on getting hit by melee attacks, but if you're playing well you shouldn't be getting hit (much). And when you get swarmed, the little dmg reduction and chill buff is not going to save you.

Diamond skin on the other hand absorbs 100% of the damage for a short period of time. When you end up in a bad situation, this spell keeps you alive. I can't count the number of times I dropped to 10% health and then popped diamond skin and ran to get some orbs. Great spell imo.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Personally I think all the "Armor" spells, like Frost Armor, are a waste of a skill slot. They are dependent on getting hit by melee attacks, but if you're playing well you shouldn't be getting hit (much). And when you get swarmed, the little dmg reduction and chill buff is not going to save you.

Diamond skin on the other hand absorbs 100% of the damage for a short period of time. When you end up in a bad situation, this spell keeps you alive. I can't count the number of times I dropped to 10% health and then popped diamond skin and ran to get some orbs. Great spell imo.

So do you rotate skills between frost nova and diamond skin? They are both the same category, so you cannot use them both at the same time, right?

Dustin
Old 05-17-2012, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So do you rotate skills between frost nova and diamond skin? They are both the same category, so you cannot use them both at the same time, right?

Dustin

I think you can use them both if you select Elective Mode in options.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sync View Post

I think you can use them both if you select Elective Mode in options.

OMG I love you man! That was one of my 2 primary complaints about the game...I hated being locked into specific spell sets. Definately checking that out tonight.

Dustin