Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2012, 04:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 1468
Made it to level 19 with my DH. Still towards the beginning of Act 2...exploring every inch.

Man, they really outdid themselves. Not that blizzard isn't know for making incredible games, but they knock it out of the park every time.

So far having a great time messing with all the skills, finding that some combinations work great in some situations, but are awful in others. In the tight corridors the explosive bolos work really well. Didn't really like the chakras until I got the double version, but now they just obliterate.

I love the way the environment just explodes into little pieces, really great physics.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Old 05-17-2012, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, the elective mode is completely awesome and not sure why it's not trumpeted at all by Blizzard.

STEAM: Augcliffe
PSN: Augcliffe
Old 05-17-2012, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just finished Act II. Died on Belial once but changed my skills around to pick stuff better suited for him and downed him on attempt #2.

Definitely loving that aspect of the game. Spec for the occasion!

PSN / Steam - KrimsonStudios
Old 05-17-2012, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Finished the game today with my friend Monk lvl 32 and him DH lvl 32. Not a single Legendary in the whole run.

We started nm, up after SK. Didn't die to him but several times to random Champions that were wayyy harder than SK

Awesome game, loving it. Also have a wiz lvl 13 and a Barb lvl 10 (need to level them up because I have lots of good rare for them).

Day off today gave me plenty of time to play :P
Old 05-18-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Made it to level 19 with my DH. Still towards the beginning of Act 2...exploring every inch.

Man, they really outdid themselves. Not that blizzard isn't know for making incredible games, but they knock it out of the park every time.

So far having a great time messing with all the skills, finding that some combinations work great in some situations, but are awful in others. In the tight corridors the explosive bolos work really well. Didn't really like the chakras until I got the double version, but now they just obliterate.

I love the way the environment just explodes into little pieces, really great physics.

Totally agree with you...this game is amazing! I'm right around the same point as you. My female DH is at level 16. I've been teaming up with my brother-in-law who's playing a Barbarian. We got past the Butcher at the end of Act I on the first try but had some difficulty early on in Act 2. I can't believe some people are complaining how short the campaign is. It took us almost 5 hours just to finish the first Act. I imagine a run-through on Normal will easily take us 15-20 hours.

I have to say the graphics are really starting to grow on me and have improved noticeably as you advance further into the game. The spell effects and environmental destruction along with smooth framerate really immerse you into the environment and the chaos of battle.

I'm really glad someone pointed out the elective mode for me because it has made utilizing my available skills SO much better! I'm still trying to get comfortable with a good combo. I just haven't gotten a handle on using Vault for instance. I've been relying mainly on Rapid Fire and Evasive Fire.

So far, Diablo 3 is the game of the year for me!

PSN/XBOX Live: Destro75
BattleNet Tag: BaronessMD#1680

Steam: vpnath

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Dual-SLI

Old 05-18-2012, 08:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpn75 View Post

Totally agree with you...this game is amazing! I'm right around the same point as you. My female DH is at level 16. I've been teaming up with my brother-in-law who's playing a Barbarian. We got past the Butcher at the end of Act I on the first try but had some difficulty early on in Act 2. I can't believe some people are complaining how short the campaign is. It took us almost 5 hours just to finish the first Act. I imagine a run-through on Normal will easily take us 15-20 hours.

I have to say the graphics are really starting to grow on me and have improved noticeably as you advance further into the game. The spell effects and environmental destruction along with smooth framerate really immerse you into the environment and the chaos of battle.

I'm really glad someone pointed out the elective mode for me because it has made utilizing my available skills SO much better! I'm still trying to get comfortable with a good combo. I just haven't gotten a handle on using Vault for instance. I've been relying mainly on Rapid Fire and Evasive Fire.

So far, Diablo 3 is the game of the year for me!

The trick with vault is that you need to lay a trap first. Drop some caltrops before you vault back, and that'll keep some distance between you and the horde. Otherwise you just vault back and they're right on your ass again.

If you've got the templar or a barb friend, and you're indoors, lay the caltrops right in a doorway/hallway, let them come at you, then vault back, let your tank rush in and block, and just start flinging bolas at the crowd. They'll be all bunched up and you'll take out like 10 at once. Indoors I usually stick with bola/impale, so I can destroy packed crowds and put a lot of hurt on a single guy if I need to.

Outdoors I find hungering arrow and rapid fire really effective cause enemies come at you from all angles. The grenades/dual chakra also works well to just kill everyone from every angle at the same time, although its almost impossible to concentrate fire with that combo.

You've def got some great options, you don't feel locked in to exploiting a specific style like you did in D2. Some stuff seems more important in multiplayer - you probably need caltrops and vault a lot less if you've got other players to keep them away from you.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlconner View Post

That was one of my 2 primary complaints about the game.

Dustin

What is the second one? I just realized that one of my complaints has a solution.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've been playing with 3 other family members. What a blast! Alternating between barbarian and monk. Just finished Act 1 and it took 15 hours taking our time and exploring.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sync View Post

What is the second one? I just realized that one of my complaints has a solution.

Server load affecting framerate...as in fluid movement of my character...he just seemed sluggish. I played at 4AM this morning, and none of that was present, around 6-7 it picked up again...I hope they smooth it out soon.

I played with the enable mode last night and had a much better time. I was finally able to set up the wizard the way I wanted him, which made a huge difference. Thanks for the tip!

Dustin
Old 05-18-2012, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 254
I would have to say, one of the top 5 best RPGs ever made. This game is sooo addictive. I had forgotten just how much this game series can suck your time up. Been a long time since Diablo 1/2 and man oh man it is so addictive, just one more are, just one more group of monsters, just one more trip to town. Well done Blizzard!!!!!!!!!!!!! Freaking love this game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-18-2012, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

I would have to say, one of the top 5 best RPGs ever made. This game is sooo addictive. I had forgotten just how much this game series can suck your time up. Been a long time since Diablo 1/2 and man oh man it is so addictive, just one more are, just one more group of monsters, just one more trip to town. Well done Blizzard!!!!!!!!!!!!! Freaking love this game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I know what I'll be doing this weekend

When do gems start dropping? I'm almost level 17 but haven't come across any. Haven't come across any armor with sockets either. Maybe I haven't gotten far enough in yet.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpn75 View Post

Yeah, I know what I'll be doing this weekend

When do gems start dropping? I'm almost level 17 but haven't come across any. Haven't come across any armor with sockets either. Maybe I haven't gotten far enough in yet.

Around then. Ive got 2 gems at lvl 20, nothing to put them in yet.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Around then. Ive got 2 gems at lvl 20, nothing to put them in yet.

Socketed items just started dropping for me this morning...at level 22. Gems started at 20, was wondering when I would have something to put them in .
Old 05-18-2012, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

just one more are, just one more group of monsters, just one more trip to town.

I'm loving the game but I'm not motivated to get better gear in the game when there is great stuff available in the auction house and Blizzard is discouraging farming bosses.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm loving the game but I'm not motivated to get better gear in the game when there is great stuff available in the auction house and Blizzard is discouraging farming bosses.

I need to take a closer look at the auction house. I hope they add the ability to access it through a browser eventually for convenience. An iOS app would also be great!

Old 05-18-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I played so much diablio 2 years ago, and finnaly broke from that addiction and specifically skipped WoW. I got 2 copies of the game last night, as my two boys want to play play with me. The problem is that I will now have to get a 3rd copy so all 3 of us can play together. My daughter is going to feel left out, so I will have to get a copy for her to. The biggest problem is that I have only 3 computers that have graphic cards, the others have integrated cards.

I made it to level 10 yesterday with the wizard. I died once, thinking that I could take on 10-12 guys at level 6-7 or so (3 of them were the blue varients, thus stronger). I then realized I need to draw them out small group at a time. Once that happened, and then getting the Merc, things went easier. Also, making sure that I was the same level or higher than the mobs helps as well.

I guess my initial reaction was slight disappointment when I found out it was only 4 player coop not 8, like diablo 2. Also, being a creature of habit I was wanting a Paladin type character (I loved Paladins for some reason), but did not find an equivalent. I knew this before, but I was hoping . I did not care for necromancers, amazons, or assasins, thus I picked between wizard and barb. I will play all characters eventually. Of course the wizard had to be female as I cannot see a male weraing Tal Rasha's stuff, lol.

In any event, great gme so far. At max settings the game is running smoothly for me (I was playing single player), but this weekend I will play coop with my kids.

Again, being a creature of habit, I was unsure of the new skill system. I guess being able to respec all the skill tree makes sense and will cut out a lot of grinding, but part of the charm in Diablo 2 was making a mistake, and then rebuilding the character. It also did mean having different characters for different variants (MF sorc, vs fireball sorc, vs melee sorc, etc). Now I guess I just need 1 sorc and just switch armor, weapons, skill set back and forth. This will save the grinding. The best part will be not having to worry about beefing up a skill tree for an act because of immunities, but then that skill tree not being as usefull for other parts of the game and thus having 'waisted' skill points.

I think the fun will start in Nightmare, and beyond. Again great game so far.

Xbox and PS3 Gamertag = Xerostomia
Wii = I'm too lazy to get the number
Old 05-18-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Definitely. Farming gold is better then farming gear right now.

And with the 10 item limit on the AH there isn't even really a lot of gear that you can sell off so most of it just gets vendored / salvaged.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

I'm finding you can become quite powerful just by buying rares on the AH. It makes the game less challenging for me.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:28 AM

Old 05-19-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm finding you can become quite powerful just by buying rares on the AH. It makes the game less challenging for me.

I found this too. Only the end of Act bosses are at all challenging.

Of course... that is what the harder difficulties are for though. I am looking forward to getting into Nightmare.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I took your advice and hit the auction house. Once I learned how to use the filters, I started finding good deals. Decked my DH out with the best rare gear I could find for lvl 18. I was able to double my dps. Minions of hell beware!

Old 05-19-2012, 10:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I'd just be happy if they didn't take the servers down during prime-time on the east coast. It's happened 2x so far. The game has only been out a few freakin' days!!!

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Just beat Diablo today on Normal. One shot him solo. I was expecting a more difficult fight. Not that I wasn't popping defensive cooldowns and using potions like mad, but I was expecting to need to make at least 2-3 attempts.

Nightmare mode is definitely fun so far. Died in one of the really early cellars and was like "oh, ok, I guess I need to actually try now" :P

Old 05-19-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm finding it relatively challenging in the middle of act 2...I've got a few rares, but it's all stuff I've picked up along the way. I've only died once, but I've gotten really close several other times.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson View Post

I found this too. Only the end of Act bosses are at all challenging.

Of course... that is what the harder difficulties are for though.

If you keep buying rares in the AH won't you always be in a situation where you are overpowered regardless of what difficulty level you are at?
Old 05-19-2012, 12:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If you keep buying rares in the AH won't you always be in a situation where you are overpowered regardless of what difficulty level you are at?

Presumably the amount of cheap rares is going to thin out at higher levels, so that might be easier said than done.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I think the auction house is a great thing. I have been selling off yellow items for about twice the price the vendor would give me. It helps lower level people, and gives me a littlle more gold. Similarly having all rare items does not make me uber strong, it does make things a bit easier, but even then it can get difficult at times. I am currently level 25 wizard, and the act II boss killed me several times before I figured out how to beat him. Similarly the 1st mission in act III, those stupid necromancer guys that shoot fire killed me a couple of times as well. The equipment made things a little easier and manageable, but in no way is it a breeze (at least to me).

I just spent 100000 gold getting 3 pieces of Cains set. The auction house was great because I could scroll through all the same equipment, and find the ones with more intellegence (for wizard) thus saving me the time and headache trying to find the correct spec on the set pieces. Now I have no money and need to get the chest piece for the set. Many of the rares are better than the set pieces, but I like collecting sets, and it beats crafting them. At this level, the set items are better than any of the rares that I could get for that price.

It seems that this time they made it gold have some value. Some of the high end legenday are selling in the millions.

Xbox and PS3 Gamertag = Xerostomia
Wii = I'm too lazy to get the number
Old 05-19-2012, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well so far in NM the game gets legitimately harder, despite being decked out in rares. You really need to dodge abilities and kite or you get smushed in a few shots by some of the purple / yellow name guys.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

I wonder why they left out the option available in D2 that prevents accidentally picking up stuff you don't want.