How do I get 5.1 or 7.1 sound from my PC - newb alert - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-15-2011, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Just got into PC gaming after being out of the loop for the last 11 years or so (roughly). I just built a rig about a week ago, and right now, I'm using the S/PDIF output on the back of the PC for audio. Everything that I've heard so far from the PC is 2 channel stereo.

The motherboard that I'm using is an Asus P8P67. This is the regular version, not the Pro, Deluxe or LE versions. The Pro and Deluxe versions are higher end than the one I have, and the LE version is the extreme budget version, which is one notch below the one I have.

The back of my P8P67 has these 6 little audio plugs, that I can supposedly use for 5.1 and 7.1, by connecting it to the inputs on the back of my receiver. I haven't tried wiring these up yet, primarily due to the fact that I would have to run some pretty long wires (PC and Receiver aren't too close to each other). I could definitely run the wires, but it will kinda be a minor pain in the arse, so I've avoided it up to this point. My receiver is a Marantz SR7001.

I've also heard that with certain video cards, you can get high-def audio from the video card, I guess via the HDMI output. I have no idea if my Gigabyte 560 Ti SOC supports that or not. I've looked thru the manual for it, and it doesn't really mention anything about it. Right now, I've got the HDMI going directly to my computer monitor, but I could route that HDMI into my receiver and then run a HDMI from the receiver to the monitor.

I'm just curious as to which method is best, and whether I'm doing something wrong or not. I thought that I would be able to get some basic 5.1 sound with the Optical S/PDIF connector, but maybe I need to change some sound settings within Windows 7 or something.

Anyways, just looking for some suggestions from you PC veterans. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-15-2011, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
SPDIF will not work for you. It will provide 5.1 for movies, but not for games at all. FOr that to work you would need a soundcard that supports Dolby Digital Live, or DTS-connect. Your 560 will work if you connect the HDMI to your AVR, you'll get either 5.1 or 7.1 MPCM depending on how you configure it in windows.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-17-2011, 01:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Yep, as stated above run the HDMI to the 7001 and then set it for 7.1, should be good to go.

Jason
post #4 of 10 Old 05-17-2011, 01:51 AM

Liked: 10
S/PDIF is just a fibre optic link. Sends and receives messages using light. Any data can travel whether it is 2.0 audio data, 5.1 audio data or 7.1 as long as the amount of data sent is within the threshold bandwidth of the interface speed.

Having said that, I haven't actually tried using SPDIF with games but theoretically speaking it might be possible if the game or your windows sound driver allows for it.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-17-2011, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I was just about to post this very question.

What about someone that needs spdif. What sound card will do 5.1 over spdif. I can't use hdmi audio on this setup.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-17-2011, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post

I was just about to post this very question.

What about someone that needs spdif. What sound card will do 5.1 over spdif. I can't use hdmi audio on this setup.

I'm looking for the same. The cheapest option I can find is the Diamond XS71DDL for about $50. Otherwise it jumps to about $90 for a Xonar or Creative card with Dolby Digital Live.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-17-2011, 08:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 208
My HTPC setup gets 5.1 audio for my games through a $25 sound card (Soundblaster Audigy SE). For the OP's setup, it means running extended cable connected to those "6 little audio plugs" and you'll be good to go. I have 30+ feet of six audio cable plus my HDMI cable connecting my PC to my audio receiver and 60" HD screen.

Before someone asks, the reason I don't simply route the audio through HDMI like the video signal is because I sometimes like to listen to TV audio while browsing the internet with the PC video feed active. If everything went through HDMI, I couldn't do that.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #8 of 10 Old 05-17-2011, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 170
I need to just buy another long HDMI cable then. Monoprice here I come.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-18-2011, 12:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

I need to just buy another long HDMI cable then. Monoprice here I come.

Don't know how long you need but if a 25' will do then Fry's sells one for $23, I don't think even Monoprice with shipping can beat that .

http://www.frys.com/product/6508773?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Oops, just realized they carry one that is only $14.99 (can't vouch for this one however, my cousin has the other and it works fine with 3D).

http://www.frys.com/product/6406702?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Jason
post #10 of 10 Old 06-01-2011, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisg View Post

I'm looking for the same. The cheapest option I can find is the Diamond XS71DDL for about $50. Otherwise it jumps to about $90 for a Xonar or Creative card with Dolby Digital Live.

Forgot to update this, I ended up with a Creative Titanium. Does the job and uses optical cable. Now I have hdmi going to one system upstairs, optical to another and analog where the pc is and split for our Bar stereo in zone 2, even Bluetooth speakers for kitchen and outdoors....lol
Reply HTPC Gaming