post #91 of 130 Old 06-18-2011, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolern View Post

Thanks for sharing Anthony, great info. Do you think I need to upgrade any components if I will be doing a lot of 3d gaming? Thanks.

Depends. What 3D display are you using? If you're using a 3DTV like a plasma or LCD that you can get at Best Buy, then you're going to be limited to 720p in 3D at 60 frames per second. Some 3DTV's will actually allow you to do 1080p at 24 frames per second, but who wants to play a game thats limited to only 24 frames? (it's a bandwidth problem inherent in current hdmi chipsets). By late 2012, we could see the first 3DTV's shipping with a new revision of hdmi that has enough bandwidth for 1080p at 60 frames to each eye.

Still, it might actually be early 2013 before we see such 3DTV's at the local Best Buy or Fry's.

Anyways, if you're limited to 720p @60hz 3D, then you'd do fine with a 560 Ti.

If you get one of the 3D computer monitors that are capable of 1080p at 60 frames (via DisplayPort or Dual DVI), then you're going to need more horsepower to get a game like Battlefield 3 running in 3D with a solid framerate. You going to need one of the most powerful cards available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 130 Old 06-20-2011, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I’m not sure if PC Gaming will make a comeback. It seems that the younger generation is hooked on consoles. That’s where companies focus their advertising efforts on. I rarely see ads for PC games nowadays. Additional, piracy is a huge problem for PC games. I think companies feel more secure developing games for consoles. The younger crowd isn’t patient enough to install games anyways.
post #93 of 130 Old 06-21-2011, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Depends. What 3D display are you using? If you're using a 3DTV like a plasma or LCD that you can get at Best Buy, then you're going to be limited to 720p in 3D at 60 frames per second. Some 3DTV's will actually allow you to do 1080p at 24 frames per second, but who wants to play a game thats limited to only 24 frames? (it's a bandwidth problem inherent in current hdmi chipsets). By late 2012, we could see the first 3DTV's shipping with a new revision of hdmi that has enough bandwidth for 1080p at 60 frames to each eye.

Still, it might actually be early 2013 before we see such 3DTV's at the local Best Buy or Fry's.

If you get one of the 3D computer monitors that are capable of 1080p at 60 frames (via DisplayPort or Dual DVI), then you're going to need more horsepower to get a game like Battlefield 3 running in 3D with a solid framerate. You going to need one of the most powerful cards available.

I have the Panasonic VT30 and I absolutely love it. I wasn't aware that it was not capable of viewing 1080p @ 60 fps. I guess I will be limited to a 560 Ti, but I'm sure that will save me a ton of money, being that the most powerful card available is surely out of my price range anyways. Thanks again Anthony, you are really helping a guy out.
post #94 of 130 Old 06-21-2011, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have the Panasonic VT30 and I absolutely love it. I wasn't aware that it was not capable of viewing 1080p @ 60 fps. I guess I will be limited to a 560 Ti, but I'm sure that will save me a ton of money, being that the most powerful card available is surely out of my price range anyways. Thanks again Anthony, you are really helping a guy out.

Hey, no problem man. I owned a Panasonic VT20 for about a month before returning it (this was when they were priced super, super expensive, when 3D first came out). The Panasonics are amazing plasmas, no question about it. It really is kinda disappointing that all the TV companies that made 3DTV's didn't consider also putting in Dual DVI hookups so that people could try to get a legit 60 frames of 1080p 3D from PC games. Or DisplayPort. But I'm thinking that the main reason they didn't include that, is because they probably aren't very aware of all the PC guys playing games in 3D. They know that the current consoles can't support 1080p 3D at 60 frames, so they probably figured why bother.

I have a Samsung 3D plasma, and while the Panasonic was definitely better than my Sammy, the difference for 3D gaming was almost non-existent, so I'm cool with having the cheaper Sammy. OF course the Panny kills my Sammy in 2D picture quality and black levels.

I've played PS3 games in 3D on my Sammy, but haven't tried any PC games yet. I need to wire this long HDMI cable thru my crawl space in my attic to the living room TV, and I've just been too lazy to do it.
post #95 of 130 Old 06-21-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:

Hey, no problem man. I owned a Panasonic VT20 for about a month before returning it (this was when they were priced super, super expensive, when 3D first came out). The Panasonics are amazing plasmas, no question about it. It really is kinda disappointing that all the TV companies that made 3DTV's didn't consider also putting in Dual DVI hookups so that people could try to get a legit 60 frames of 1080p 3D from PC games. Or DisplayPort. But I'm thinking that the main reason they didn't include that, is because they probably aren't very aware of all the PC guys playing games in 3D. They know that the current consoles can't support 1080p 3D at 60 frames, so they probably figured why bother.

I have a Samsung 3D plasma, and while the Panasonic was definitely better than my Sammy, the difference for 3D gaming was almost non-existent, so I'm cool with having the cheaper Sammy. OF course the Panny kills my Sammy in 2D picture quality and black levels.

I've played PS3 games in 3D on my Sammy, but haven't tried any PC games yet. I need to wire this long HDMI cable thru my crawl space in my attic to the living room TV, and I've just been too lazy to do it.

Lol, I had to do the same thing and drop a hdmi through my attic also. Huge PIA! If you haven't done it before the easiest way is to use an existing wall power outlet and run the hdmi through the pre-cut drop-hole in the attic's crossbeam that the electric cord is running through. And hopefully that outlet has a drop-down hole directly above it. Then make another wall outlet where u want your hdmi at. If your going to be cutting/drilling turn off the power to that area of house so u don't shock urself.
Then there is always wireless hdmi, but I dont know the pros & cons to that.

All the great PS3 3d games is what has really got me back into gaming hardcore. Motorstorm: Apacolypse being my favorite. But now im seeing everything else out there and it leaves me wanting more. Are you using the Sammy for your PC gaming or a monitor? I saw a guy playing on a 2560x1600 monitor playing Battlefield 2 at max settings through a beefed up PC and about shat myself. Dammit there are so many things I want. Im gonna have to go work some OT.
post #96 of 130 Old 06-21-2011, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
Quote:

I saw a guy playing on a 2560x1600 monitor playing Battlefield 2 at max settings through a beefed up PC and about shat myself. Dammit there are so many things I want. I gonna have to go work some OT.

The benefits of a 30" monitor..... I use a DELL 30".

But that's nothing, check this out

http://www.hardocp.com/news/2011/06/..._1000_per_inch

You do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.
post #97 of 130 Old 06-21-2011, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post

I know one thing. I'm going through Crysis 2 now. Running it on full on a 1080 front projector 8700ub at 110". This game is @#@# wicked. I love it, and I can not believe I have neglected PC gaming this long because it looks SOOOO good. Easily the best looking game in years and a "proper" campaign to boot. I got my ass kicked a few times while getting used to the mouse again though...lol

if you think Crysis 2 looks good now...wait until the upcoming DX11 patch comes out...I have a high end gaming PC (single GPU GTX 580) and don't think Crysis 2 looks anywhere near as good as the original Crysis...it has its moments but overall the game feels like a console port

hopefully the DX11 patch will deliver high end graphics to the PC enthusiasts
post #98 of 130 Old 06-21-2011, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

I saw a guy playing on a 2560x1600 monitor playing Battlefield 2 at max settings through a beefed up PC and about shat myself. Dammit there are so many things I want. I gonna have to go work some OT.

I still prefer a big 1080p screen with games running at a high level of anti-aliasing. For games that do not support anti-aliasing, Nvidia drivers now allow rendering at a very high resolution for the graphics card to down-sample to 1920x1080.
post #99 of 130 Old 06-22-2011, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

if you think Crysis 2 looks good now...wait until the upcoming DX11 patch comes out...I have a high end gaming PC (single GPU GTX 580) and don't think Crysis 2 looks anywhere near as good as the original Crysis...it has its moments but overall the game feels like a console port

hopefully the DX11 patch will deliver high end graphics to the PC enthusiasts

It looks like Crytek is going all-out by including a high-resolution texture pack for many assets and a comprehensive suite of DirectX 11 features. The requirement for a 64-bit OS and at least 1GB of video RAM should say a lot.

The comparison shots in the article linked above look good. There should be some subtle things that will be appreciated as we play.
post #100 of 130 Old 06-22-2011, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

It looks like Crytek is going all-out by including a high-resolution texture pack for many assets and a comprehensive suite of DirectX 11 features. The requirement for a 64-bit OS and at least 1GB of video RAM should say a lot.

The comparison shots in the article linked above look good. There should be some subtle things that will be appreciated as we play.

I hope that these additions are more than shoehorned in. To be honest about it, I wouldn't be surprised if they are. Afterall these new features are coming out months after the games release. I still haven't bought this game yet because of Crytek not caring about pc gamers. I'll wait for the hoiliday sales. I'm sure Steam and D2D will have it for dirt cheap by then.
post #101 of 130 Old 06-22-2011, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I think it will at the very least help Crytek's reputation of using much of the latest available tech, although that in itself doesn't mean a whole lot.

The developer used practically every graphical feature supported by the latest APIs in Far Cry (HDR rendering, shader model 3.0 and numerous graphical improvements via a 64-bit rendering path were added after this game's release) and the original Crysis games, and this patch will apparently do the same with Crysis 2.
post #102 of 130 Old 06-22-2011, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
To bad the DX11 update for Crysis 2 is so late. I finished the game at its hardest settings a month back, I don't think there are enuf reasons to play it again just for the extra eye candy. Too late Crytek...again.

You do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.
post #103 of 130 Old 06-22-2011, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

This is when it really pays to be behind the curve. I never play games right when they come out anymore. I'm perfectly content to be about 2 years behind everybody else, if not longer. Of course, I could care less about online gaming, so I'm not affected by online communities disappearing once a game is 6 months old.

Most of the games that I'm playing right now, I install the game, and then install the final patch, so that it usually is going to work as good as it's going to work.
post #104 of 130 Old 06-22-2011, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

This is when it really pays to be behind the curve. I never play games right when they come out anymore. I'm perfectly content to be about 2 years behind everybody else, if not longer. Of course, I could care less about online gaming, so I'm not affected by online communities disappearing once a game is 6 months old.

Most of the games that I'm playing right now, I install the game, and then install the final patch, so that it usually is going to work as good as it's going to work.

What happens when you catch up? You do not play for 2 years?
post #105 of 130 Old 06-23-2011, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post

With all of the games being released nowadays, could he really catch up? Hell, all he needs to do is play WoW and he'll be behind forever!
post #106 of 130 Old 06-24-2011, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post

Catch up? Yeah, hilarious, lol. Man, I hate to admit it, but my backlog stack is like 30 games deep. I honestly can't see myself ever catching up. The only way that is going to happen is if somehow I had the ability to freeze time for about 5 years and just played thru my huge backlog list and then restarted time. In other words, not going to happen.

There are definitely some downsides to be being so far behind the times, I listen to a bunch of gaming podcasts, and obviously they aren't discussing the hot releases of 2007. Also, since I'm so far behind the curve, the statue of limitations runs out in regards to spoilers, so I have to be EXTRA careful to try to avoid major spoilers for these older games that I'm playing. I just finally finished Assassin's Creed (the first game), and now I'm trying to work my way thru Bioshock (the first one), so you can see how far behind I am..
post #107 of 130 Old 06-24-2011, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post

To bad the DX11 update for Crysis 2 is so late. I finished the game at its hardest settings a month back, I don't think there are enuf reasons to play it again just for the extra eye candy. Too late Crytek...again.

DX11 patch is going to be released on Monday...Crytek will also be releasing 2 separate downloads, one is a DX11 tessellation pack and the other is a High-Res Texture pack
post #108 of 130 Old 06-24-2011, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

There are definitely some downsides to be being so far behind the times, I listen to a bunch of gaming podcasts, and obviously they aren't discussing the hot releases of 2007. Also, since I'm so far behind the curve, the statue of limitations runs out in regards to spoilers, so I have to be EXTRA careful to try to avoid major spoilers for these older games that I'm playing. I just finally finished Assassin's Creed (the first game), and now I'm trying to work my way thru Bioshock (the first one), so you can see how far behind I am..

Wow, you're even more behind than I am. You'll never "catch up" so you shouldn't try.
post #109 of 130 Old 06-24-2011, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Catch up? Yeah, hilarious, lol. Man, I hate to admit it, but my backlog stack is like 30 games deep. I honestly can't see myself ever catching up. The only way that is going to happen is if somehow I had the ability to freeze time for about 5 years and just played thru my huge backlog list and then restarted time. In other words, not going to happen.

I wish my backlog was only 30 games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

Wow, you're even more behind than I am. You'll never "catch up" so you shouldn't try.

I know I'll never "catch up." I get some games right away just because of that, and others I wait for a price that's low enough that I don't mind sitting on them for a while.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #110 of 130 Old 06-24-2011, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I just stopped buying games I won't play immediately. It sucks, but hey, that's reality. I'll never be able to play all the great games out there.

And Street Fighter is hell on my backlog.
post #111 of 130 Old 06-24-2011, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

I just stopped buying games I won't play immediately. It sucks, but hey, that's reality. I'll never be able to play all the great games out there.

My strategy, is that as long as I have this huge backlog, my price limit is 5 bucks. I won't buy anything over 5 bucks, until I've finished more games on my list. Also, I'm not going to be buying any misc. unknown type games for 5 bucks. I'm talking about bigtime, prime-time games. I have a list of about 20 or more games that I would buy for 5 bucks, even with my huge backlog. After I spend that C-Note though, then I really should stop buying games.

The thing with PC games, is that you can't rent them, and many times there isn't a demo, so the only way to just "check it out", would be to pirate the game, but then you have to download a huge file, and the whole legality thing, etc, etc. If I buy a game for $5, that isn't much more than it would have cost me to rent the 360 version from redbox 2 1/2 times. So, it all balances out. At least, that is what I say to myself.
post #112 of 130 Old 06-24-2011, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
My strategy is a lot simpler. With taxes being what they are, a new game costs about the same as a decent bottle of whiskey and a couple packs of smokes. I'm not saying that gaming is healthier for you than taxes, but it's a lot more fun.
post #113 of 130 Old 06-24-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:

Really bummed about being limited to 1080p @24hz on my beautiful Panny VT30, which I was planning to build my monster PC around. Why build an expensive PC when i cant even view it at its full potential. Thinking about returning the Panny because of it and waiting until they upgrade to dual DVI, but that's so long.... I saw a monitor that had the dual DVI but I prefer the big screen for more immersion, especially in 3d. Don't know what to do.....
post #114 of 130 Old 06-25-2011, 03:22 AM

There are a few PC 3D types that solve the problem with dual polarized projectors. I've heard it's nice, and 1080P/60, but it's too complex and expensive for me. I'm wary of investing in cutting edge A/V tech, because it may become obsolete in a year or two.
post #115 of 130 Old 06-25-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkor View Post

There are a few PC 3D types that solve the problem with dual polarized projectors. I've heard it's nice, and 1080P/60, but it's too complex and expensive for me. I'm wary of investing in cutting edge A/V tech, because it may become obsolete in a year or two.

Can you name one for example?
post #116 of 130 Old 06-25-2011, 10:01 AM

Name a dual system setup? Here's an example of one from a guy that frequents our forums, but a Google search can find may others.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=20223495
post #117 of 130 Old 07-12-2011, 09:33 AM

I was going to build a gaming rig then i came across this PC. What do y'all think about this system for $1299? It looks almost too good to be true.
http://computers.toptenreviews.com/g...rl-review.html
Unless im reading it wrong, It has two GTX580s that looks top notch and priced at almost $600 per card. So I don't know how they are selling this rig for only $1299. Any suggestions/comments. Thanks.
post #118 of 130 Old 07-12-2011, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Look at the config on the website - it doesn't include two 580's (think it was one 6850). I think the link at the bottom of the review is the basic starting point - typical ad that leads you to believe it's only $1299.

I'd go Sandy Bridge anyway and build it yourself. Not sure what you already have and what you need, but for $1300 you can build a nice rig.

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
post #119 of 130 Old 07-12-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballen420 View Post

Look at the config on the website - it doesn't include two 580's (think it was one 6850). I think the link at the bottom of the review is the basic starting point - typical ad that leads you to believe it's only $1299.

I'd go Sandy Bridge anyway and build it yourself. Not sure what you already have and what you need, but for $1300 you can build a nice rig.

Ah I see. I knew it was too good to be true. Thanks Ballen.
post #120 of 130 Old 07-15-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1
Here are some parts from my rig that I would definitely recommend, and what I paid for them:

CPU = Intel Core i5-2500K
3.3 GHz (3.7 GHz Turbo), Quad Core, 6 MB L3 Cache ($196.64 with tax, on sale at MicroCenter)

You might be able to find it for $179.99 at Fry's.

Motherboard = P8P67 R3 LGA 1155 P67 ATX Intel Motherboard ($152.94 with tax at MicroCenter)

I definitely overpayed for this motherboard. I should have gotten the Pro version of this motherboard for the same price. Right now, you might be able to get the regular version for $130 shipped, maybe even a bit cheaper. Just make sure you never want to crossfire or SLI. If you want to do that, then pay more for the Pro or Deluxe versions.

Memory = G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL----------- $69.00 shipped, after tax (newegg)

Basically, make sure to 8 gigs, and make sure it's DDR3 1600. You should pay $70 or less shipped.

Power Supply = SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply ($74.59 shipped, after tax and shipping , Newegg)

I spent $75 on a PSU, but I got a damn good one. Quality PSU's cost money. Mine is only 520 watts, but very effecient 520 watts. Yes, I wouldn't want to Crossfire or SLI with only 520 watts, so there is that to consider. If you need to crossfire or SLI, then you need to go like 850 watts to be on the safe side.

Hard Drive = Samsung SpinPoint F3 Desktop Class 1 TB ($54.07 Newegg)

SpinPoint F3 is very well known and respected HDD. Sometimes you can find it for like $48 shipped.

Case = Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower - ($54.07 / 39.07 Newegg)

If I ever get my rebate back, then I'll have got this for $39.07 shipped, which isn't bad at all, considering I have to pay tax for stuff from Newegg. The case does everything I need it to. I did add some extra fans to it, raising the cost up slightly, but it's all gravy.

CPU Cooler = Cooler Master Hyper 212+ ($23.05 after rebate $33.05 before rebate - Frys)

I'm still waiting on my rebate for this.

Operating System =Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (Student upgrade version) $30 (Digital River via download)

You just need to have a .edu email address (or find a friend that has one), and then you can download it for $30.

As for the GPU, right now I like the 560 Ti for around $190 ish after rebates. The key is getting a dual-fan version of the card, and not a single fan version. Also, make sure it's a reliable company and it has gotten a decent review. I way overpaid for mine, but I just got tired of waiting for a sale, and just said F it. I was waiting around with all the parts except the GPU, so I finally just bit the bullet. Had a waited just two more weeks, I would have likely saved about $30 or more. Oh well.
To Anthony or any other PC guys out there. I'm planning on building my first a rig to be able to play Battlefield 3 as close to as max settings as possible in 3d. For a GPU I was looking at the GTX 580 or possibly the GTX 590 (if the wife don't kill me). Would I be able to still keep the other recommended PC components listed here or would I need to upgrade? Thanks.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page