Any Hobbies other than Gaming? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 187 Old 09-02-2011, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Very nice looking car. I've seen segments on the Noble on Top Gear, but never in person. I used to live in Monterey, CA, but I never went to the Pebble Beach Concours; dumb move on my part. I missed out on seeing a lot of beautiful cars.

~3 seconds huh? That is Porsche GT2, Nissan GT-R (what I LUST after) territory. Very sweet . Drive safely
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 187 Old 09-12-2011, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
Airsoft related for those interested.

Just got a few more items to add to my airsoft gear. Man its been an expensive summer. Got two plate carriers. One cheapo in coyote brown for my AK (PMC ) load out and a genuine Multicam PC to go with my new MC battle suit. I swore at the beginning of the year that I would not get caught into MC hype but after seeing how effective it was around here I had to get some MC stuff, but I still like my khakis . Also added a Pro-Tec B2 skate helmet in OD since it is a lot lighter and cooler then my other MICH type helmets. I will replace the stock straps with real mill spec straps once I get off my lazy butt (prob not till the snow falls tho). I also added a used (ebay) Safari Land 6004 series M9/92 dropleg holster. A RS holster and it's the best holster I used with my M9's and I had Serpas before.

Gun wise I added a Well L96 spring sniper and CYMA AK-47 AIMS (Romanian) AEG EBB-R.

The Well L96 is cheaply made, big seam running down the gun, plastic parts looks weak, def plastic and not polymer. Way to expensive in Canada but I wanted a lighter sniper then my heavy SOB gas WE M14 EBR and colder temps are coming. The loaded L96 weighs ~10lbs and loaded M14 EBR ~15lbs. The Well L96 Warrior 1 has gotten good reviews. Good project gun down the road (maybe). It shoots between 450-475fps after removing the valve block (300-350fps) restricter. It shots well but i had to take the bolt apart since I was not able to action/pull the bolt on the gun after two clips. Just a loose pin/bearing inside the bolt assembly at the back had came loose. Once put back in place with a very small needle nose plier the gun works again. A very small pin/bearing. That is with a one day old gun. Build quality...what??? Maybe I shld have gotten a SVD Dragunov instead.

Still waiting on delivery of the CYMA Romanian AK47. The one I got is all metal with real wood parts and folding metal stock. Elect blow back. One of the cheapest metal AK I found in Canada that had good reviews. I didn't want to get a classic full stock'd AK since those are big and long guns. I am not really an AK fan but i had to get one since I was tagged as a M4 fanboy.... Beside that I wanted to get an AK since I was curious why so many pple like using them.

Pics will follow once the AK get here.

You do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.
post #93 of 187 Old 09-12-2011, 01:52 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Lolz @ your gear purchases, T. Dunno how the terrian is where you're at but in California, multicam is very effective. The colors and pattern are just right for the ground and vegitation around where I live. That MC stuff is expensive!

Look forward to those AK pics, Tinker. Which brand are you getting? I'm looking to pick up the Echo1 'Covert' Romanian type AK for my collection. I just like that one. I know that one has EBB.

Those L96 sniper rifles are usually sold and made cheap but from what I have seen, they are decent performers and there are lots of mods for them to make one even better. I've thought about getting one, myself.

I've been looking for a KSC/KWA G18 forever. Lagged on it and then they went OOP cuz Glock are stingy beotches. Anyway, I found one in good condition on sale on Ebay. Came with two regular mags and one extended. I ordered it on the spot. *laughs* Guy said he had a 2nd that was missing a valve piece and sold that to me for $75. Ha! Two g18's on the way soon. EDIT: Just got the shipping confirmation just now. Lolz! I can't wait!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- direct pod link

- main website

post #94 of 187 Old 09-12-2011, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

That MC stuff is expensive!

Look forward to those AK pics, Tinker. Which brand are you getting? I'm looking to pick up the Echo1 'Covert' Romanian type AK for my collection. I just like that one. I know that one has EBB.

The MC PC I got only cost $145US since it's made in China. It's genuine Lic'd MC and 1000D cordura, really well made (really impressed me for a TMC product). Here is a link http://www.ebairsoft.com/force-recon...am-p-3729.html to where I got it.

The AK is a "CYMA" lic'd Kalashnikov AK47 AIMS version, a China made gun but it has gotten good reviews from players and on Youtube. Don't mind the reviewer, just the gun is important.

post #95 of 187 Old 09-12-2011, 03:09 PM
Bass Enabler

Ah, I thought that was the one. I like that one but I wasn't sure if I'd like a permanent vertical forgrip or not. With the E1 'covert' I can choose or not. Even though they get overhyped, I rather like those Magpul angled foregrips. On the AK I have now, it's very comfortable and feels natural to me. Also looks bad ass!

I can't wait to get my gbb G18's!! Woot!!!

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #96 of 187 Old 09-12-2011, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Funny is that I don't like most of the Magpul stuff (I think they are over hyped also) either, esp the fore grip. I use UTG alum grade fore grips (http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Combat-Qua.../dp/B003TX1D06), both the short and long versions, best grips I used on my M4s (2 long) and SCAR (shorty). The only things I like from Magpul is their original mag pulls .

post #97 of 187 Old 09-12-2011, 03:43 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post

Funny is that I don't like most of the Magpul stuff (I think they are over hyped also) either, esp the fore grip. I use UTG alum grade fore grips (http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Combat-Qua.../dp/B003TX1D06), both the short and long versions. best grips I used on my M4s and SCAR. The only things I like from Magpul is their original mag pulls .

Bwahahaha! Now that's funny. When I first heard of them was when the mag pull's were out. I didn't see the appeal of those. Then more parts started coming out for M4/16's and I was like. Wtf is Magpul? What is a 'mag pull'? Wtf?! Agh! Took me a little while to see the company name and one of their products were two different things. Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of their stuff. Just some stuff. Like I said, I like the AFG on certain stuff. Looks awesome on my AK, imo and I think it would look great on a PDW. Other than that, I like their retracting stock. A simple swap of the typical LE style on an m4 would look good without making it look 'modded' I think.

That UTG foregrip looks beefy! I should pick up one of those for my M4. Well, maybe not. I've been thinking of selling it. I think I want to stick with one kind of AEG so I don't have to deal with all sorts of different mags, batteries and weapon type specific extras. It's okay for the gbb's. Those are worth it.

Good price for AVS'ers if someone wants a decent airsoft m4 with extras.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website

post #98 of 187 Old 09-12-2011, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bwahahaha! Now that's funny. When I first heard of them was when the mag pull's were out. I didn't see the appeal of those.

You will when you are wearing gloves and have a tight fitting vest with a lot of mags. Sure beats duck tape and paracord.

post #99 of 187 Old 09-12-2011, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 306
I have tons of friends who love airsoft stuff but I dunno, I just don't get it lol

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #100 of 187 Old 09-12-2011, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

I have tons of friends who love airsoft stuff but I dunno, I just don't get it lol

It's like the best FPS game, also you get to run around playing soldier as like when you were a kid. I played soldier when I was young and not cowboy and Indians . Just bigger boys with bigger (and cooler looking) toys....

post #101 of 187 Old 09-12-2011, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Ya, I've played it with my friends as we have a huge course about 10 mins from my house, plus I grew up on a big farm and we have tons of land that they go on all the time.
But they spend thousands of $ on their stuff. I know it's a hobby like anything else and it's way better than paintball but I feel goofy running around with a BB gun lol

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #102 of 187 Old 09-12-2011, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ya, I've played it with my friends as we have a huge course about 10 mins from my house, plus I grew up on a big farm and we have tons of land that they go on all the time.
But they spend thousands of $ on their stuff. I know it's a hobby like anything else and it's way better than paintball but I feel goofy running around with a BB gun lol

I guess it comes down to the pple you play with and what type of games that are being run. I pref mil sims in wide open woodland areas more then CQB where there tend to be a lot more young players. I just don't like game fields where there are no age limits.

How goofy do you think you look if some body sees you on your computer playing a PFS and screaming at the screen about campers/hackers etc.... The person on the other side is prob some 12 year old. At least with airsoft you get to see who you are really shooting at.

I guess is like any activity. It's not goofy if you like it. I rem when I use to play a lot of golf and getting fanatical about it. Spent my share of money on $1000 drivers and $500 putters and winter trips to Myrtle Beach for golf weeks. As a smarter man then me had said, golf is a good walk ruined, but it didn't seem so when I was playing a lot (~60+ games in our Canadian summer) in those days.

ADD: also a fun part of airsoft is playing dress up. You got to look cool else you are a noob.... I just wish my airsoft sniper rifles could reaaly out distance the other non sniper airsoft guns but not to be due to FPS limits (not like in the Philippines where there are not limits from what I hear, but I guess you can really get hurt playing there). Seems like some of the better games are in Scotland (or Scoutthedoggie http://www.youtube.com/user/scoutthedoggie does great editting work).

ADD2 here is fun vid from a good airsoft review site

post #103 of 187 Old 09-12-2011, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:

Finally I'm not the only one! lol
post #104 of 187 Old 09-13-2011, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Weight lifting and astronomy. Although I am not amazing at either one.

What will become - Is my Will
post #105 of 187 Old 09-13-2011, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Here is one of my fav airsoft vid. Music from the man in black (Johnny Cash)seems to go so well with this vid. Very well put together.

post #106 of 187 Old 09-13-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrheretic View Post

Weight lifting and astronomy. Although I am not amazing at either one.

Hey DD. Do you gaze at the stars? I have never taken the step to buy a telescope, although I do love reading books on astrophysics and cosmology. In fact, I had an old email account named 'Seyfert' (I know...I'm a nerd ).
post #107 of 187 Old 09-13-2011, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagyl View Post

Hey DD. Do you gaze at the stars? I have never taken the step to buy a telescope, although I do love reading books on astrophysics and cosmology. In fact, I had an old email account named 'Seyfert' (I know...I'm a nerd ).

I was actually looking into purchasing a telescope.. Probably a starter scope like the Orion SkyQuest XT8. I read a bit and watch a lot of shows about the universe. I wasn't really into astronomy up until about 2 years ago. It was amazing how ignorant I was when it came to the universe.

post #108 of 187 Old 09-13-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:

I was actually looking into purchasing a telescope.. Probably a starter scope like the Orion SkyQuest XT8. I read a bit and watch a lot of shows about the universe. I wasn't really into astronomy up until about 2 years ago. It was amazing how ignorant I was when it came to the universe.

Carl Sagan...read his stuff, if you haven't already. He and Asimov, are two of the best science writers out there .
post #109 of 187 Old 09-13-2011, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Carl Sagan...read his stuff, if you haven't already. He and Asimov, are two of the best science writers out there .

I really need to do more reading.. There is no excuse for me to put it off.. It would benefit me to probably pick up some sort of kindle contraption.

I'm most interested in Stars.. Super/hypernova's.. The different objects that can be left behind after a nova.

post #110 of 187 Old 09-13-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:

I really need to do more reading.. There is no excuse for me to put it off.. It would benefit me to probably pick up some sort of kindle contraption.

If you have an Android device, you can get the free Android App 'Google Sky Map'. It will help you find the constellations. I also believe you can find some good stuff on YouTube about Sagan, as well as YouTube's NASA channel.
post #111 of 187 Old 09-13-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:

I can highly recommend the Barnes & Noble Nook Color. It's a 7" Android tablet masquerading as an eReader. I picked one up at the beginning of the year and it rarely leaves my side. The screen size and resolution is perfect for reading (assuming you don't get eye fatigue from a backlit screen; otherwise get an eInk device), and the alternative ROMs for it are outstanding, in particular CyanogenMod7. It's still an eReader (with access to the Amazon Kindle store as well, by the way) with those ROMs, but it's also a full-fledged Android tablet. For $250 it's a steal! I guess Amazon is bringing out a direct competitor soon (same size, price point, and general feature set), so you might wait for that, but like I said, the Nook is pretty phenomenal.
post #112 of 187 Old 09-13-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:

I'm most interested in Stars.. Super/hypernova's.. The different objects that can be left behind after a nova.

One of the themes for my PC is the Astronomy theme that is one Microsoft's website (I'm assuming you have a PC).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOYPdLpgrcY
post #113 of 187 Old 09-13-2011, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

One of the themes for my PC is the Astronomy theme that is one Microsoft's website (I'm assuming you have a PC).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOYPdLpgrcY

I love that show. I've watched it countless times. How the universe works is awesome as well. I can't even imagine something being 100billion times brighter than our sun. Our solar system is a pretty nice place currently.. It's crazy how brutal other solar systems are.

post #114 of 187 Old 09-13-2011, 01:25 PM

You know what I've always wondered? What would happen if silicon were bound with hydrogen instead of oxygen? The electronegativity would be much less, obviously, but what would that mean for life (as the valence electrons would be the same)? I suspect that the new water would boil at a lower temperature, but what other surprises would lie in store? Water itself is such a complex molecule.

For the beer drinkers out there:http://www.comedycorner.org/1.html
post #115 of 187 Old 09-13-2011, 02:04 PM
Bass Enabler

Now I want to get a telescope.

I'm a space nerd who watches the Universe too much.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website

post #116 of 187 Old 09-13-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:

Now I want to get a telescope.

I'm a space nerd who watches the Universe too much.

And an ultralong straw .

Scott, you know, when I look at your Avatar with my peripheral vision, it looks like a guy wearing black boonie hat and black face paint, which makes me think complete bad a%^ . It put's me in mind of a Special Forces or a Recon soldier coming out of the water with a K Bar in his mouth lol.
post #117 of 187 Old 09-13-2011, 02:24 PM
Bass Enabler

Heheh. Nah, I'm not that bad ass but I try.

My avatar is a shrunken copy of this picture:

That side is the workhorse, this is the business end:

So clean. That's a Sound Splinter RLp18. An 18" subwoofer and it part of my subwoofer system for my HT room. I really should have listed home theater and pics of my HT in this thread as HT/audio is my main hobby. This is AVSForum though so I figure that's a, "no duh!" right there.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website

post #118 of 187 Old 09-13-2011, 02:26 PM

Lol. I always thought it was a propane burner. I guess I need to see a shrink to cope with the images my mind makes up when I lack information .
post #119 of 187 Old 09-13-2011, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

I've wanted to build my own subwoofer enclosures for a while now. I lack the tools to even try at this point. I was checking those flat pack deals out but I would want at least a 10 inch driver and currently all I see is one for a 6.5 driver.

That's a savage subwoofer.

post #120 of 187 Old 09-13-2011, 03:08 PM
Bass Enabler

There are ways to get into the DIY audio field with little tools or handy talents. For example, I am terrible with powertools and I'm not much of a carpenter. Though I can design systems and put them together, I'm not all that great at making them look fantastic. Big, ugly black boxes. Haha! I have an excuse though and that's a 100" acoustically transparent screen.

I know there is lots of talk about shippable flat packs but it depends on the design. I believe MKTheater got his F-20's built by Elemental Designs. They make custom cabs so you could have them cut it and ship it to you to assemble. If you want something super classy, go with Funky Wave. Nathan makes some of the most gorgeous enclosures.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website

Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page