Any Hobbies other than Gaming? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 187 Old 05-19-2011, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Do you guys have any other hobbies that you are passionate about other than gaming?

For Me:

My Wife and I play Airsoft 6 months out of the year.

Home Theater and Movies.

Cars.. Cars... Cars....

What about you guys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 187 Old 05-19-2011, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Occasionally airsoft. I am trying to getting back into it after 6-7 yrs absence. I have currently three WE Tech GBB-R (M4-primary...ATF banned in the USA, SCAR-CQC/B and M14 used as a DMR soon to be converted to an EBR for sniping) and four GBB Pistols (2 KJW M9/92, KJW G27 and a KWA USP 45). The GBB-R field gear is heavy since each M4 mag only hold 30 rds (I carry 10-13 mags) and M14 mag 20 rds (5 mags) and they all feel real full weight even when empty. The M14 with scope and bipod is a heavy SOB. I am getting too old for lugging all that weight around.... I may have to go pure sniper . Too bad the fields around here are limited and far away. The major probm here in Canada is the price for the guns. They on the average are in many cases double the price as they are in the US .

HTPCs

Sim racing which I consider a bit diff then normal gaming since I use diff rigs for each.

ADD: Too bad what may happen in Cali tho with that bill requiring airsoft guns to be bright color and/or clear. We have the clear/smoked/tinted gun requirement here also but the law seems very vague and we can get full metal guns if you look.

ADD2: also all the WE Tech guns are almost 100% Real Steal weight and form. So they can weight more then the average equivalent AEG.

You do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.
post #3 of 187 Old 05-19-2011, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

When playing Airsoft we use KWA M4 Carbines and M16s, 11.1 Lipo batteries @ 30 amp, Magnum Motors and Electronic Mosfet Speed Controls with full auto and 3 round burst. We only play with adults and in a team/league situation as to keep control of the chaos!

Our guns Dyno @ 525 fps/ 35 rps with .25 bbs. Gear boxes are full BB, reinforced and usually last the season before I have to tear them down.
We wear full body protection. These guns hurt.... a lot. But is a real good time. We play with about 25 friends. We play @ night with very few lights.
post #4 of 187 Old 05-19-2011, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post

When playing Airsoft we use KWA M4 Carbines and M16s, 11.1 Lipo batteries @ 30 amp, Magnum Motors and Electronic Mosfet Speed Controls with full auto and 3 round burst. We only play with adults and in a team/league situation as to keep control of the chaos!

Our guns Dyno @ 525 fps/ 35 rps with .25 bbs. Gear boxes are full BB, reinforced and usually last the season before I have to tear them down.
We wear full body protection. These guns hurt.... a lot. But is a real good time. We play with about 25 friends. We play @ night with very few lights.

Our field limits here are 350fps CQB, 400fps field and 450fps for single or semi shot snipers with .20g BB. Age min is 18yrs. My SCAR dyno at 425-450fps at 22c and will get to about 490+ in hotter temps (as all my gas guns do) so I am waiting on some RA-Tech NPAS units to tame them. RoF with the WE's are like the real steal, the SCAR about 600+rps, the M4 at about 700-800rps and the M14, ?, since I use it only on semi, a 20rds mag don't last long on auto (~1.5 secs), neither does a 30....

I norm use .25/.28/.30g BBs but the field dyno using .20g and is strick on the FPS.

post #5 of 187 Old 05-19-2011, 10:11 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Dude... you guys are awesome. Plz keep the airsoft chat going.

I collect some airsoft aeg's and gbb's but I have yet to play a game yet. Just never got around to getting to a game. I dunno why. Prolly cuz I'm uber shy or something.

I almost forgot about that crap bill going down here. I should pick up the gear I want to get before its too late.

Oh... duh... hobbies. Well, chairsofting is one of them. Movies are huge for me. Videogames. Duh! Home theater and audio. Duh! Women... hell yeah. I bring em in...eh, in my dreams.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- direct pod link

- main website

post #6 of 187 Old 05-19-2011, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post

RoF with the WE's are like the real steal, the SCAR about 600+rps, the M4 at about 700-800rps.

Do you mean rpm as apposed to rps? or fps apposed to rps?
post #7 of 187 Old 05-19-2011, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Dude... you guys are awesome. Plz keep the airsoft chat going.

I collect some airsoft aeg's and gbb's but I have yet to play a game yet. Just never got around to getting to a game. I dunno why. Prolly cuz I'm uber shy or something.

I almost forgot about that crap bill going down here. I should pick up the gear I want to get before its too late.

Oh... duh... hobbies. Well, chairsofting is one of them. Movies are huge for me. Videogames. Duh! Home theater and audio. Duh! Women... hell yeah. I bring em in...eh, in my dreams.

The field we play on is awesome. It has a Fort, Prison, underground pipes, Sniper Tower and is huge with hills and valleys. We play only Saturdays in off season due the rain/heat down here. They charge $ 15.00 to play all night. Turn out on a normal Saturday is about 60 or so. I didn't play this season due to the death of my father to Liver Cancer :-((miss him dearly) but we are getting ready for next.
post #8 of 187 Old 05-19-2011, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you mean rpm as apposed to rps? or fps apposed to rps?

Ooops. RoF, that's rpm and not rps...oops.

The weight is killing me in the field. I keep thinking of just getting a L96/SVD sniper and a couple of mags along with a pistol and call it a day. I was thinking about using the M14 EBR as a sniper but it's still a heavy load with all the mags. Prob will still end up using the M14 EBR tho, I just don't do the hi-cap mag thingy.

ADD: One good thing about the field here is that they limit 300 rds per game (or one hi-cap...still those AEG AK mags can hold 500 plus rds ) with exception for a support weapon like a SAW. That limits the hi-cap mag dumps and make pple more conscious about ammo and fire discipline.

post #9 of 187 Old 05-19-2011, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Ever notice with some airsoft players...it's always go go go and never follow me when they bark orders...leading from the back .

The probm is that I am not much a team player as such. I tend to stay back...due to the fact that is how I play. Same for FPS games. I am a camper at heart. Also with all the weight of gear I carry (and age) , I can't keep up with those other young legs and their one mag/gun. The funniest thing I saw in an airsoft game was a guy trying to bunny hop across an open area...I was LMAO.

post #10 of 187 Old 05-19-2011, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ever notice with some airsoft players...it's always go go go and never follow me when they bark orders...leading from the back .

The probm is that I am not much a team player as such. I tend to stay back...due to the fact that is how I play. Same for FPS games. I am a camper at heart. Also with all the weight of gear I carry (and age) , I can't keep up with those other young legs and their one mag/gun. The funniest thing I saw in an airsoft game was a guy trying to bunny hop across an open area...I was LMAO.

We use my wife as bait. She is quick and agile. 5'5" 123lbs. She is the runner to draw fire. My buddies wife is 5'8 and 120lbs, she runs like the wind. Between the 2 of them we can usually draw fire from most teams that like to camp. I use a Green Laser on my M16. The long tight bore barrel insures accurate shots at a safe distance for me. Most players can not reach me but I can "Put the dot and hit the mark" almost every time.
post #11 of 187 Old 05-19-2011, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We use my wife as bait. She is quick and agile. 5'5" 123lbs. She is the runner to draw fire. My buddies wife is 5'8 and 120lbs, she runs like the wind. Between the 2 of them we can usually draw fire from most teams that like to camp. I use a Green Laser on my M16. The long tight bore barrel insures accurate shots at a safe distance for me. Most players can not reach me but I can "Put the dot and hit the mark" almost every time.

So what bore diams are your guns. Mine are WE 6.03 precisions barrels. I am thinking about getting a RA Tech or a Madbull 6.01 520mm (540mm ?) tight bore for the M14 but I am just concern with the BBs, esp if I have to use bio ones.

post #12 of 187 Old 05-19-2011, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So what bore diams are your guns. Mine are WE 6.03 precisions barrels. I am thinking about getting a RA Tech or a Madbull 6.01 520mm tight bore for the M14 but I am just concern with the BBs, esp if I have to use bio ones.

On the M16: Prometheus 6.03/ 550 mm from AirsoftGI on the West Coast. The 6.01 would jam on occasion and require constant cleaning.
On the M4: Prometheus 6.03/ 420 mm
post #13 of 187 Old 05-19-2011, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Prometheus 6.03 from AirsoftGI on the West Coast. The 6.01 would jam on occasion and require constant cleaning.

Constant cleaning is just natural for GBB guns. After ever use I clean the guns just as I would with the RS ones. The jamming part is what concerns me, esp using bio BBs. I heard pple that had the BIOs break up inside the barrels. Also I want to use .30g plus weight BBs with the 6.01 and those BBs don't really come cheap or readily available here or if they even have BIO ones.

post #14 of 187 Old 05-19-2011, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Constant cleaning is just natural for GBB guns. After ever use I clean the guns just as I would with the RS ones. The jamming part is what concerns me, esp using bio BBs. I heard pple that had the BIOs break up inside the barrels. Also I want to use .30g plus weight BBs with the 6.01 and those BBs don't really come cheap or readily available here or if they even have BIO ones.

I have had good luck with 6.03. No jamming at all.I clean after every use and store guns in my study away from the Humid Florida Weather.
post #15 of 187 Old 05-19-2011, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have had good luck with 6.03. No jamming at all.I clean after every use and store guns in my study away from the Humid Florida Weather.

I don't have probms with the 6.03's either. I just want a more precise barrel for the M14 EBR esp for sniping. I store all my guns in their own hard shell RS gun case, not a gun bag. They go right along with my over weight theme . My car prob sags with all the weight when its loaded with all the gear .

post #16 of 187 Old 05-19-2011, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Hunting! I hunt big game every fall, and even do some professional guiding in September for trophy Mule Deer. My username comes from my preference for the .257 Weatherby Mag.
post #17 of 187 Old 05-19-2011, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257Tony View Post

Hunting! I hunt big game every fall, and even do some professional guiding in September for trophy Mule Deer. My username comes from my preference for the .257 Weatherby Mag.

How big? My wife are planing a trip to the Serengti this Fall.
post #18 of 187 Old 05-19-2011, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 299
I'm big into Home theater. I build my own subs, have build quite a few in my day. Right now I'm on 8 x 18"s and 2 x 21"s all powered by their own ep4000 bridged and a full round up of JTR speakers. It's a fun hobby but can be extremely expensive once you get into the higher end gear.

I also love cars (since I'm a painter by day) and roll around in my 86 Regal T-type now that it's nice. I've recently sunk about 10K into performance stuff for it and Should be good for high 10's or very low 11's in the 1/4 mile. Nothing funnier than a brand new z06 vette, getting it's doors blown off by a 25 year old car

Me and the wife travel quite a bit, DuPont is sending me to Europe in the fall for some training so I'm taking the next month off for sight seeing! Looking forward to that!
As well I like going to electronics shows and stuff like E3.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #19 of 187 Old 05-19-2011, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

I also love cars (since I'm a painter by day) and roll around in my 86 Regal T-type now that it's nice. I've recently sunk about 10K into performance stuff for it and Should be good for high 10's or very low 11's in the 1/4 mile. Nothing funnier than a brand new z06 vette, getting it's doors blown off by a 25 year old car .

Funny you should mention Buicks. I actually owned a 1987 Grand National (not GNX) back in the day. I wish I still had it today. :-(. I traded it in for a 1993 Corvette Ragtop.

I currectly own a Challenger SRT8 and C6 Corvette Convertible (garage queen)which I am thinking of Supercharging for that extra rush. :-).

What do you think of the ZR1 Corvette? A friend of mine just purchased one and took me for a ride.. Insane acceleration. That car never stops pulling when pushed hard...Kudus to GM on that one. A world beater for cheap.

I just got back for Barrett Jackson Auction last month. I have been looking for a 1970 Superbird 426 Hemi (only 135 were fitted with that legendary motor) to add to my list of useless toys :-). I have been looking for several years now but most are already restored and are asking big bucks. I would like one in good shape, not show quality, so that I can do a Rotisserie Restoration myself and keep forever. Eventually, I will give in, and just pay for one already restored ( I just inherited a 60 ft Sea Ray Express Cruiser that I plan to sell when the market comes back) and call it a day. It is the most desirable Muscle Car ever made.....My quest continues.....

Check this site out.... It make me cry when I see these classics rusting away... some people just do not get it and never will. http://www.carsinbarns.com
post #20 of 187 Old 05-20-2011, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Besides gaming and HT I like to scuba dive...being 80ft underwater with 78-80F temp. watching sea turtles and schools of fish...priceless(well actually a tank rental )

"My English is not very good looking" - Celia Cruz

post #21 of 187 Old 05-20-2011, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How big? My wife are planing a trip to the Serengti this Fall.

I guided a California hunter to a 201" typical Muley last year in Utah. It will net big enough to go in B7C easily. That's my biggest to date
post #22 of 187 Old 05-20-2011, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAVholic View Post

Besides gaming and HT I like to scuba dive...being 80ft underwater with 78-80F temp. watching sea turtles and schools of fish...priceless(well actually a tank rental )

Quiet and peaceful.... until Jaws !
post #23 of 187 Old 05-20-2011, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

For those that are still interested here is some of my current airsoft gear.

M14 DMR (heavy SOB)

M4

SCAR L

Sidearms

M14 DMR Rig (light sniper setup 4 spare M14 mags)

Assault Rig (heavy 9 spare M4 mags)

Misc Stuff:
Couple of helmets I rarely use since they get real hot.
Revision Desert Locust goggles
ESS NVG Profile goggles
Oakley M frames
Revision Sawfly ballistic glasses
a few sets of cheap ACM eye protective glasses/goggles
Oakley SI gloves
Condor hard knuckle gloves
Hatch hard knuckle gloves
Couple of wire lower face masks
Two ColdSteel training knives

post #24 of 187 Old 05-20-2011, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

M14 DMR (heavy SOB)

M4

SCAR L

Sidearms

Misc Stuff:
ESS NVG goggles
Oakey M frames
Oakely SI gloves

Damn! I feel like I'm in a Battlefield Bad Company 2 or Black Ops game! That stuff must be expensive....looks like the real thing.
post #25 of 187 Old 05-20-2011, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr6966 View Post

Damn! I feel like I'm in a Battlefield Bad Company 2 or Black Ops game! That stuff must be expensive....looks like the real thing.

The WE M4 is used by many mili/police organizations as a non lethal training weapon. ATF ban the WE M4 for sale in the US since they claim they where able to convert it to fire a real round with some RS part swaps...prob a .22, WE tech found that was hard to believe but hey ATF ban the gun, and now also the WA and a couple more GBB-R M4s also, that replic the RS gun too closely. The US Rangers uses the WE M4's for non lethal weapons training since the WE is almost 100% ident to the real thing.

In Canada the stuff cost a fortune...

post #26 of 187 Old 05-20-2011, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr6966 View Post

A competitive Airsoft AEG with optics can range from $ 800- $ 1200.00. The gearboxes usually last a season then need rebuilding. This can cost about
$200.00 or so. It is not bad for a hobby that is a blast to play, My wife and I have been playing for about 5 years now and look forward to shooting each other with 100 rounds in 3 seconds or so.
post #27 of 187 Old 05-20-2011, 10:50 AM

Board games and some card games. I'm really stuck on that new Resident Evil Deck Building game. Also love my Scooby WRX! Wish I could buy another just because the cars are so great!

post #28 of 187 Old 05-20-2011, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

M14 DMR (heavy SOB)

M4

SCAR L

Sidearms

Misc Stuff:
ESS NVG goggles
Oakey M frames
Oakely SI gloves

That M14 looks awesome but will it beat my M16? Looks like we have a challenge!
post #29 of 187 Old 05-20-2011, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That M14 looks awesome but will it beat my M16? Looks like we have a challenge!

If the temps are over 75F and with a 6.01 barrel upgrade then maybe but prob not since your RoF is a lot faster. I only have 20 rds per mag and the M14 is real heavy and very tiring to use in the field . With the optics and a bipod it prob weighs in at ~13lbs plus.

ADD: I am still trying to decided if I will go for the WE Sage EBR conversion with the M14 or get a real wood walnut stock from RA-Tech for it. The Sage EBR kit looks great and makes the M14 look up to date and modern, but the kit is as pricey (or more) then the M14 cost. Then there is still the charm of a wood stock classic M14.

For those who want to know what a (WE) Sage M14 EBR looks like. If I do the conversion I will keep the long barrel and it will be black. LOL I just notice I have the same BDU shirt as him...

Here is a vid of the WE EBR in action from one of my fave airsoft Youtube chans. His EBR is a total custom gun from RA-Tech.

post #30 of 187 Old 05-20-2011, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Funny you should mention Buicks. I actually owned a 1987 Grand National (not GNX) back in the day. I wish I still had it today. :-(. I traded it in for a 1993 Corvette Ragtop.

I owned an 83 and an 84 Regal and always had my eye on the GN. I tried turning both of them into street race cars and had bigger plans than i had wallet.

@Tinker: your airsoft M4 looks more expensive than my AR-15, lol.

Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page