Got me an Asus Transformer! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-27-2011, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Well, since there's no Tablets forum (there should be) I guess I'll post this here.

Nice little tablet- best display I've seen on a device like this (yes it's nicer than an iPad), hard to believe it's only $400. Didn't have a chance to use it very much but it seems like it will be fun to use- I realize that the quad-core Kal-El tablets aren't that far off, and when that happens I'll probably sell this one and upgrade.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2011, 01:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I'm going to go ahead and quote DaveFi here, from when I was talking about iOS:

"Maybe you guys could get AVS to start a "portable" forum (been thinking about this)? This doesn't really fit in with the HTPC gaming forum all that much."

I don't care myself, as this really is the best place to talk about gaming on tablets and the like, but my god the hypocrisy. Seriously, of all the people here, you're the one that starts up a tablet thread?
Old 05-27-2011, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 141
yeah I think my iPad days are numbered. Quite a few options coming out soon. Might sell mine.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

I'm going to go ahead and quote DaveFi here, from when I was talking about iOS:

"Maybe you guys could get AVS to start a "portable" forum (been thinking about this)? This doesn't really fit in with the HTPC gaming forum all that much."

I don't care myself, as this really is the best place to talk about gaming on tablets and the like, but my god the hypocrisy. Seriously, of all the people here, you're the one that starts up a tablet thread?

If you don't care why post a clearly inflamatory post like this? Congratulations troll, you have earned yourself a place on my ignore list.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Dave how is the responsiveness of the screen

"My English is not very good looking" - Celia Cruz

Old 05-27-2011, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAVholic View Post

Dave how is the responsiveness of the screen

It's great. I tried the Xoom and this is much better, 10 finger multitouch worked just fine. I still need to fool around with it a bit more. As I said in my earlier post, the only thing that worries me is that the new Kal-El based tablets will probably be out before the end of the year.

I think once Honeycomb 3.1 gets pushed next month the overall experience should be much better.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Yeah, i have the Xoom with 3.1(the lag is fixed btw) and a Galaxy Tab, and they are awesome devices. pretty much killed off my psp usage and using my gaming rig for anything but games. Nvidia's tegra gamestore is pretty cool, too. I play Vendetta and that Fruit Ninja game and they look amazing.
Congrats on the Asus!

PC/PS3/360/Wii U
PSN GT: chuckster1
XBL GT: TahoeCougar
Steam: chavan30

Old 05-27-2011, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Does the AT have a replaceable battery?
Old 05-27-2011, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 342
I got my transformer 32 gig about 2 weeks ago and love it! Newegg.ca had 16 gig micro Adata class 6 memory cards on for $16 the other day so I bought 8 of them lol.
I'm still waiting for my keyboard. I also bought 2 x 32 gig class 6 Adata SD's for $39 each too from ncix a few weeks ago for the keyboard SD slot.
Now all we need is some cases and some gear!

BTW this thing blows the wifes ipad 2 out of the water so bad she's selling it and ordered a transformer too lol

should also say, it plays everything I've thrown at it so far. Flac is coming in the 3.1 update in june!! YESSSS!

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

Old 05-27-2011, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I got the 16gb version. Some Amazon reseller was selling a 32Gb MicroSD card for $41 that was shipped/fulfilled by Amazon. Since it's shipped by Amazon, if it turns out to be counterfeit they'll refund me my money no problem. As far as cases go I bought the Amazon generic one (with handle) for 7"-10" tablets for $10.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

thats a good price on the 32 gig micro!!! I've tried all the different classes of micro and found a class 6 or higher is need for flawless playback at 720p. My class 4 kingston stutters on occasion with higher rez movies. It will be kept as a music card.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

BTW this thing blows the wifes ipad 2 out of the water so bad she's selling it and ordered a transformer too

Can you elaborate on that? I have an iPad. I don't like the restrictions but those are mostly taken care of with jailbreaking. I find there is a better selection of high quality apps for the iPad than my Android.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I just found Alkido, an app that lets you read those free protected ePubs from your local library. It's a bit buggy but it works.

I've been fooling around with Dungeon Defenders. Fun little game, and it's free.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sync View Post
Can you elaborate on that? I have an iPad. I don't like the restrictions but those are mostly taken care of with jailbreaking. I find there is a better selection of high quality apps for the iPad than my Android.
It's faster navigating through menus, web browsing etc. The screen is nicer and movies look better then the wifes ipad2 at 720p. 1080p is ok but stutters, version honeycomb 3.1 update will take care of that. At first it was though it was a tegra2 issue but they found a way to make it work better I guess.
The use of sd cards is HUGE imo. The keyboard attachment is pretty neat and work very well, and there is a full sized usb and SD card slot and extra battery in there too. It teathers to my android phone with no problems right out of the box with no plan. also.

The apple does have the android in the apps department for sure. But there are still lots of good apps. You just have to do a bit of research as to what ones you are DL'ing. There is also TONS of new ones all the time. It gets better and better all the time.

I loved the ipad and ipad2 when they first came out but IMO it's outclassed by the transformer in most ways other than apps. To some thats a big deal but to me, it's not so much.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:31 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
It's faster navigating through menus, web browsing etc. The screen is nicer and movies look better then the wifes ipad2 at 720p. 1080p is ok but stutters, version honeycomb 3.1 update will take care of that. At first it was though it was a tegra2 issue but they found a way to make it work better I guess.
The use of sd cards is HUGE imo. The keyboard attachment is pretty neat and work very well, and there is a full sized usb and SD card slot and extra battery in there too. It teathers to my android phone with no problems right out of the box with no plan. also.

The apple does have the android in the apps department for sure. But there are still lots of good apps. You just have to do a bit of research as to what ones you are DL'ing. There is also TONS of new ones all the time. It gets better and better all the time.

I loved the ipad and ipad2 when they first came out but IMO it's outclassed by the transformer in most ways other than apps. To some thats a big deal but to me, it's not so much.
I am definitely thinking about getting the asus now. I was going to buy the ipad 2..
Has 3.1 came out yet and if so how is it?
Also does anyone know if you can tether an iphone 4 to the asus? 3g is the only thing missing.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by undersinjake View Post
Also does anyone know if you can tether an iphone 4 to the asus?
I think your iphone has to be jailbroken to do that.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

3.1 came out last night and it took care of the stuttering 1080p video playback on the moboplayer playback software! There is 1 bug on the transformer that annyos the crap out of me and it has trouble coming out of sleep mode sometimes. It's happened to me 4 or 5 times and you have to reboot it to make it work again. Asus says it's a software glitch since almost everyone has the problem. Since dl'ing 3.1, I haven't had it pop up yet! fingers crossed.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Been loving my tf and dock. Haven't used my Thinkpad x200t since.

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"