Looking for killer image quality on a budget - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-08-2011, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I built a theater in a spare bedroom a few years ago using a Mitsubishi HD1000U projector that was DLP and 720p. For the screen I used Wilsonart Laminate white (I forget the exact model but it was the popular choice) and built it 100 16:9. The room had complete light control. While the image looked very good, whenever I tried to PC game on it I felt the image couldn't touch that of my computer LCD screens (a 24 and 28 inch TN panels, 1920x1200 res for both). Then our latest child came and I had to gut the theater.

We have an unfinished basement and I've set myself a 6 month timeline to get the new, dedicated theater installed. I wasn't too concerned about PC gaming down there but after seeing the new Skyrim E3 demo videos I'm really thinking I want to try gaming on the big screen again.

I don't have an unlimited budget and wanted to keep the new projector under $1500 and the screen around $300. I will build the screen myself. The screen must be acoustically transparent material as I will be mounting the LCR behind it.

What I'm wondering is are any of you having luck getting a killer image on the big screen? One that can rival, or come very close, to what you get on your computer monitor? Are my expectations realistic with my budget?
Any help and insight is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-08-2011, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 297
For $1500, it's not gonna happen. Heck for 5K it's still probably not gonna happen at 100 inches lol. Just buy what you can afford and be happy with it.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #3 of 4 Old 06-08-2011, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 148
If you got really high ceilings (bad offset), then just get a Mits HC4000 and call it a day. It's about as good as you can get in that price range, saving you some money to put towards the screen.

Unfortunately for me, a Mits HC4000 is not in the cards due to it's offset and my 8 ft 2 inch ceiling.
post #4 of 4 Old 06-08-2011, 10:12 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 809
It can be done but picking the right projector for you would be the challenge. I'd suggest taking a look over at the <$2,000 projector section here and pick one for the right price.

The screen is easy...

Go to this site... I'm not sure if is still allowed to be mentioned here but the site starts with an, 'S' and the rest of the name rhymes with "eymourAV".

I built an acoustic transparent 100" 16:9 screen myself with their material and it was under $500 for the whole build, half of which was for the material. Highly recommended.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- direct pod link

- main website

Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page