Bioshock 1 on Windows 7 - no sound once game starts - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-19-2011, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I've already done a bunch of google searches and tried a bunch of the suggested fixes, but now I can't even get the game to load up. I guess I need to uninstall it and re-install.

The most common suggested fix is for me to go to the control panel, then Hardware and Sound, and then Manage Audio Devices. Then click on recording, then highlight my curser under everything shown and right click it, then select show disabled devices, and then enable "Stereo Mix" for the RealTec audio device.

The other thing that I'm supposed to do, is find the bioshock.exe, right click on that, and then select compatibility mode, and change it to Windows XP Service Pack 2.

So, I did all of this, but I still can't get it working. Now any time I try to start Bioshock, the PC just get's locked up at a black screen, and then I have to use the Task Manager to end the program. The thing that really sucks, is that the game was working for awhile, and I was getting sound in the menus and cut scenes, and the graphics in the game were absolutely amazing. Bioshock looks MUCH better on PC. Now if only I could get some damn sound during gameplay....

Update: I got this to work. Apparently, I just needed to restart windows, and then plug in headphones BEFORE starting up Bioshock. Then I can at least hear the game in the headphones. The graphics are absolutely gorgeous. I played this game about 75 percent of the way thru on the 360, but I feel like to play the game in true 1080p, I can start over from scratch, get all the way back to where I was and then finish the game off.

The only thing I've seen so far that has disappointed me, is this one water effect that was the on the Xbox 360 version. On the Xbox 360 version, anytime you walk thru water ( usually dripping from the ceiling or something), then this water effect appears on the screen. When I walk thru water on the PC version, there isn't any water dripping on the camera effect. I wonder why? Anywho, the game looks great at a true 1080p resolution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-19-2011, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I played it on PC, and don't remember whether or not the "wet camera" effect was working. I don't know why they would take it out of the PC version, if they did. It is nice looking at 1080, unfortunately I was one of the backward hayseeds who hated Bioshock. Pretty, yes, but the more I played it the less I enjoyed it.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-19-2011, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I definitely remember that water effect occurring when I played the PC version.

As for the visuals, the original BioShock has an interesting history with Nvidia hardware and drivers. There have been weird glitches with numerous driver versions, with the most common being missing textures.

Things could be fine with the current driver set, but it seemed in the past that visual glitches were common with this game.
post #4 of 8 Old 06-19-2011, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJonathan View Post

I played it on PC, and don't remember whether or not the "wet camera" effect was working. I don't know why they would take it out of the PC version, if they did. It is nice looking at 1080, unfortunately I was one of the backward hayseeds who hated Bioshock. Pretty, yes, but the more I played it the less I enjoyed it.

Really? I loved it. To each his own I guess.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-19-2011, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 240
I also really liked bioshock. Bioshock 2 however, is another matter. I never had 1 problem when I was running it on win xp at the time with a 8800gts.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #6 of 8 Old 06-19-2011, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 144
The PC version of Bioshock is really impressing me. I bought this game off Ebay for $4.24 shipped, and it's easily been one of my best purchases since building the new PC. The game was supposed to be used, but it turned out to be brand new, factory sealed. Not that the price makes it better looking or anything, but it's just kinda amazing to me that I'm able to get PC games so cheap. (older games). Since getting my PC I've bought about 8 games, and the most expensive game was Far Cry 2 at $8.05 shipped. Most were in the $4, $5 and $6 range shipped.

Maybe in the long run, I'll actually save money gaming on the PC.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-20-2011, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

The PC version of Bioshock is really impressing me. I bought this game off Ebay for $4.24 shipped, and it's easily been one of my best purchases since building the new PC. The game was supposed to be used, but it turned out to be brand new, factory sealed. Not that the price makes it better looking or anything, but it's just kinda amazing to me that I'm able to get PC games so cheap. (older games). Since getting my PC I've bought about 8 games, and the most expensive game was Far Cry 2 at $8.05 shipped. Most were in the $4, $5 and $6 range shipped.

Maybe in the long run, I'll actually save money gaming on the PC.

Yah, while used pc games are slim pickings (due to drm issues for many games). New boxed versions can be steals. I always check Newegg, Amazon and J&R for deals. I live near a Micro Center and they also have some great prices. As long as your happy with older titles, PC gaming can be quite cheap. And if your not against downloading games, you can find some fantastic deals from all of the major services. I just bought the Sins of a Solar Empire Trinity set for my son off of Impulse this weekend for $9.99 (good deal, though not fantastic, $5.99 would be fantastic).
post #8 of 8 Old 06-20-2011, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Game costs are definitely a huge benefit of PC gaming. We can thank the software pirates for driving down costs for us legitimate buyers.
Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page