Nvidia 3D vision needed to play 3D games? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-19-2011, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry if already asked, just wanted a quick yes or no, will do further research.

Thinking of getting a 3D capable TV (ie, Samsung 8000 series LED, or Mitsubishi Laservue) for HTPC, and will prob build my own HTPC. The TV/HTPC will be mostly for movies, but may play some games on it not too much trouble setting up..

I know above TV's can covert conventional 2D images to 3D themselves.

Question is, how do games look on them, using the TV's 3D conversion. Are they similar to, much better, or much worse than using Nvidia 3D vision card w/ a 3D compliant HDTV (as in DLP's that accept 120Hz signal..

Also, I"m not even sure if the Laservue or Samsung 8000 series HDTV's take only the 60Hz or can take the 120Hz.

I'll keep looking, and appreciate any quick responses as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2011, 03:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Native, I can help answer a little about how 3D games look on the Laservue, since that is one of the TVs you're interested in.

I have the L75A91 Laservue (2010 Model) & in order to get 3D, you have to purchase an external 3D adapter from Mits.

I have had the chance to view 3D via DirecTV 3D programming & 3D Blu-Ray movies, also 3D gaming via XBOX360.

DirecTV & Blu-Ry 3D viewing look great. Gaming I only had the chance to play COD4 & Crysis2 for XB360, both were great, but COD4 looked the best of the 2, felt & looked like the 3D was implemented better on it than Crysis2. The 3D to me really added depth & immersion to the game play. Especially on the 75" screen on my Laservue, it's really awesome. The bigger the screen the better for 3D.

Can't compare it to Nvidia's 3D vision, since I don't own that kit, but I am interested in it for my future HTPC build I am planning.

I would suggest to you if you end up leaning towards the Laservue that you get this years model (L75-A94) that was recently announced. It will sport HDMIv1.4 inputs & have the 3D Adapter built into the TV itself & use a new high contrast screen, as oppose to my model (L75-A91) from last year that sports HDMIv1.3 inputs & the 3D Adapter is external & a separate purchase. If you decide on the Laservue, feel free to PM me & I can get you connected w/ some one for a great price when the TV is released this year.

Hope this helped a little.

GO SPURS! GO COWBOYS!