Has anyone played World of Warcraft? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 34 Old 07-01-2011, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This game still seems to be very popular. I've never played it and am curious why people pay a monthly fee to play. Do they keep coming up with new maps and quests to keep people interested?

They now have a starter edition that lets you play for free for the first 20 levels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 07-01-2011, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
If you're curious, just go ahead and play for a while (it is free after all).

I played originally when they had the 14 day trial or whatever it used to be, and I had to pass on the game because I knew my life would've been over and I would've not graduated college if I paid for that game.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #3 of 34 Old 07-01-2011, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have played going on seven years now. Take it in moderation that's for sure but it will deliver many good memories. There's slot of *******s but alot of good people too. Visit wow.joystiq.com wowhead.com and mmo-champion.com are the best sites for guides resources etc

post #4 of 34 Old 07-02-2011, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I played for about a year during TBC, and picked it up again when Cata released. Been playing this go round since about December.

Honestly, if you think is the kind of game you might like, i say give it a go.
I would rank WoW within the best 3 gaming experiences of my life. A large part of that may drive from the social aspect however, being part of a good, close knit guild really adds to the experience.

Lots of people are wary about the sub fee, but honestly, I SAVE money playing WoW, because I am not buying every other new game that comes out, just to play for a few weeks and shelf out of boredom. And you do get what you pay for. There is so much content to go through, and they are continually adding new raid content, new daily questing zones, etc etc. There is also tons of replay-ability, in the sense that even after you get a toon to max level and gear up, you'll probably want to level a 2nd or 3rd toon to play with as well.

PSN / Steam - KrimsonStudios
post #5 of 34 Old 07-02-2011, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson View Post

I would rank WoW within the best 3 gaming experiences of my life. A large part of that may drive from the social aspect however, being part of a good, close knit guild really adds to the experience.

I think guilds are one of the things not available in the trial.

I have a backlog of games to get through right now. So I won't be trying WoW for a while.
post #6 of 34 Old 07-04-2011, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sync View Post

I think guilds are one of the things not available in the trial.

I more meant that being in a good guild is a big part of the endgame experience. It will have little meaning on a Level 20 capped trial character.

post #7 of 34 Old 07-06-2011, 06:48 AM

I played WoW for a solid month, but could never get others online to team with me. I guess in WoW, if your not friends in real life, then you can't be friends online. Or at least thats the impression I got.

If you want to experience some real 'social' gaming, try CoH (City of Heroes). I was invited to a team within 5 minutes of logging on for the first time. Very friendly community, at least compared to other mmorpgs.

2 Hometheaters
9 HDTV's (LCD, LED, Plasma and DLPs, 32" to 65")
4 Computers (1 laptop, 3 desktops)
6 Gaming consoles (1 PS2, 2 PS3, 1 XB, 2 XB360)
80+ total video games
1 iTouch
1 iPad 2
post #8 of 34 Old 07-20-2011, 12:32 PM

Liked: 10
WoW can be enjoyable leveling up, and you will occasionally group with people to do quests. However, the real game doesn't start until max level. That's when the social aspect really kicks in as you find a guild and start doing high end PVP/Arena play and dungeon raiding. I recently quit, but it's the only game I have really made lasting online friends with.
post #9 of 34 Old 07-20-2011, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I liked WoW (the game itself) and loved the open world and all it's secrets to explore but the experience of playing it was too chaotic/unorganized for me to enjoy as it really does rely heavily on being part of a guild to do a lot of things. I managed to get to level 32 on my own but I couldn't do anything in the game after that because I couldn't get anyone to play with on a regular basis on my server and the character I had been using was not suited at all to doing things solo at that point.
post #10 of 34 Old 07-20-2011, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

The game has changed tremendously in the past while. The levelling experience is very streamlined, and quite fast. Their is a "dungeon finder" tool that lets you queue for dungeons with people from other servers (all automated) and you automatically portal to and from the dungeon. This makes it a lot easier for people playing healer/tank classes to have a viable way to level.

There is also "dual spec" now at level 30 which means that you can have 2 specs on your character and switch back and forth across them. This allows another venue for people to level heal/tank classes, but then use a DPS spec while questing.

There is a guild finder tool, so you can easily find a levelling guild while you are starting out without any of the applications or barking in trade that people dread.

They removed twinks from BG's (pvp) and now give XP for BG's so you can pvp while you level and it contributes to your xp gain.

post #11 of 34 Old 07-30-2011, 12:16 PM

I played for a while, I had a lvl 64 hunter.

The sub fee is worth it - the content is great, and the game is impressive.

But its created to require you to spent increasingly larger amounts of time to accomplish things, gain experience, and acquire items. And its it very compelling, and very addictive.

It will take up MASSIVE amounts of your life.

Its a shame- I NEVER recommend it to people, because its so good. You better have a lot of time...

After a decade of dreaming...building my first front projection home theater!!
post #12 of 34 Old 07-30-2011, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeG23 View Post

I NEVER recommend it to people, because its so good.

That is an interesting reaction to something that is so good.
post #13 of 34 Old 08-02-2011, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Are there any good WoW forums that use software where you can subscribe to threads? I don't care for Blizzard's forums.
post #14 of 34 Old 08-02-2011, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This game still seems to be very popular. I've never played it and am curious why people pay a monthly fee to play. Do they keep coming up with new maps and quests to keep people interested?

They now have a starter edition that lets you play for free for the first 20 levels.

once you start playing you are screwed, just a warning. took me awhile to get off of it. I was addicted for 2 years. watch the south park episode of World of Warcraft, it gives you a good idea of what happens to you once you get into it.

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #15 of 34 Old 08-02-2011, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Are there any good WoW forums that use software where you can subscribe to threads? I don't care for Blizzard's forums.

wow head forum

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #16 of 34 Old 08-02-2011, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:

To be honest I feel the game is just too easy and way to casual at this point. It has turned into more of a social chat room with a fancy GUI.

The mission enhancements in Cataclysm were great but I feel like they're still being held back by aging tech. I believe WOW will be in a slow decline until Blizzard releases its next MMO.

I have hope the Knights of the Old Republic will be awesome and got my preorder in. I'm ready to be disappointed though.

post #17 of 34 Old 08-02-2011, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by champer View Post

once you start playing you are screwed, just a warning. took me awhile to get off of it. I was addicted for 2 years. watch the south park episode of World of Warcraft, it gives you a good idea of what happens to you once you get into it.

I'd say that the new grind is so fast that it's actually hard to stay addicted.

post #18 of 34 Old 08-02-2011, 11:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalmieri1203 View Post

I'd say that the new grind is so fast that it's actually hard to stay addicted.

I quit afew months after lich king came out. I had more fun leveling up from 60-70 in the bronzbeard expansion than LichKing 70-80.

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #19 of 34 Old 08-03-2011, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by champer View Post

wow head forum

That looks like a good forum but I don't see any way to subscribe to threads there.
post #20 of 34 Old 08-03-2011, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Lots of people obviously fall to addiction, but honestly you can play this game pretty casually now. I only play ~3 nights a week, less then most COD/BF players probably spend in game, and that is enough to up-keep 3 level 85 toons for PvP.

post #21 of 34 Old 08-03-2011, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I used to play this game at the beginning before all the expansion. At level 60, I was only into PVP tho. No big raid or anything, just PVP.

I was still a student at the time so my team would just queue for the next battleground and I was doing my homework/studying while waiting. When we were called into the fight, I would do the thing and then go back to homeworks We were top 10 alliance side team on the server.

It was fun and all but had to dedicate too much time to be as well geared as some people doing 40 man raids. I was only equipped with blue items but was still able to kill other rogue (my main PVP toon was a rogue) 1 vs 1 that were geared in purple.

I think it is more casual friendly now with the queue for the raid cross server to find people. The 5 man instance gives nicer gear, etc etc.

I haven't touched the game in years, I thought about installing it again to see the new thing but passed
post #22 of 34 Old 08-03-2011, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashboard View Post

I think it is more casual friendly now with the queue for the raid cross server to find people. The 5 man instance gives nicer gear, etc etc.

cross realm is just for dungeons no raids..

i myself play casually as well. 3 raids maybe a week for 3 hrs no more on those raids. its quite manageable now if you have wife/job/kids etc

post #23 of 34 Old 08-04-2011, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Is there anyone here who might be interested in recruiting me for WoW Recruit a Friend?
post #24 of 34 Old 08-07-2011, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Probably the best game I've played in many ways. Each character can be played in very different ways, especially the hybrid classes. If you get bored of doing dungeons (you will) you can do pvp. I never once found myself bored with the game itself. If I lost interest in a class, I tried a different one and leveled him up (my favourite part was testing out all the new abilities). I left the game about a year ago simply because of time. I found that the only way I could play the game and manage my time well was to play solo and that's not how the game was designed, so I left. Being in a guild is great, but there are expectations and responsibilities (read: lots and lots of time investment). I have enough of that %$#@ in my real life as it is, so...

Like someone else said, if you have gobs of free time you will more than likely love this game. It is the definitive carrot on a stick game, though, and your hunger for better gear/stats/ will not go away. Hence the addictive nature of the game.

post #25 of 34 Old 08-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Is there anyone here who might be interested in recruiting me for WoW Recruit a Friend?

I can send you one just need email. But I won't be using RAF benefits. Feel free to pay two months of game time on top of first free months so I get a mount :-)

post #26 of 34 Old 09-18-2011, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I've been playing WoW for about a month. They do a good job of spacing out rewards to keep you going after the carrot.

But I found the actual game play really boring. I'm not a hotshot gamer. I find most games I play quite challenging. WoW is probably the least challenging game I've ever played.

I can see how PvP could be a lot more challenging but I'm not into that.
post #27 of 34 Old 09-19-2011, 12:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I've been playing WoW for about a month. They do a good job of spacing out rewards to keep you going after the carrot.

But I found the actual game play really boring. I'm not a hotshot gamer. I find most games I play quite challenging. WoW is probably the least challenging game I've ever played.

I can see how PvP could be a lot more challenging but I'm not into that.

Wait until you run some of the harder instances with pugs..

What will become - Is my Will
post #28 of 34 Old 09-19-2011, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrheretic View Post
Wait until you run some of the harder instances with pugs..
I've only done a few dungeons. It seemed like everyone else was much more experienced than me. They would breeze through and I could barely keep up. I didn't really have a clue what was going on. It wasn't fun and I wasn't inspired to keep doing dungeons.

I'm not sure if I'll continue. It might get more interesting later on but right now it is very boring and I've lost my motivation even though I would love to get certain spells and a flying mount.
post #29 of 34 Old 09-19-2011, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Dungeons at low level (meaning anything below 85 heroic current-tier) tend to run at a breakneck pace if you pug or use the dungeon finder for them.
post #30 of 34 Old 09-19-2011, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

WoW has been nerfed to hell to speed up the levelling process. The game doesn't really present anything remotely resembling a challenge until 80+.

It's unfortunate for new players like yourself. Especially since there are so many people who hit 85 and join heroic dungeons and have 0 comprehension of how to handle themselves in actual content. They think that pulling full rooms of mobs and mashing their aoe buttons is how the game is played.

Reply HTPC Gaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page