AVS Forum banner

Connecting PC to living room TV

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Frost Daddy 
#1 ·
I know people on here are already doing this, so any help would be appreciated.

I have my gaming PC in my office, and this weekend I will be running a 50' HDMI cable through my attic to my living room so I can play some of my games on the large LCD.

My question is how do you guys that do this handle sound? I'm running a Radeon 5870, but when I have it output sound for games, it only does two channel sound, and I'd rather not game in Dolby Pro Logic, but true 5.1 surround sound.

Should I invest in something like an Auzentech sound card, or is there another way that I am missing?

#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost Daddy /forum/post/20686103

My question is how do you guys that do this handle sound? I'm running a Radeon 5870, but when I have it output sound for games, it only does two channel sound, and I'd rather not game in Dolby Pro Logic, but true 5.1 surround sound.

Go to the "Sound" section in Windows' Control Panel. Click on the 5870's audio device, click on "Configure," and set it up as a 5.1 or 7.1 speaker configuration. You'll then get multichannel PCM output for your games.

#5 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I had set the computer up in the living room once before, but was only getting two channel sound from the HDMI out on the 5870.

I ran the cable this weekend, and the picture worked great, but the sound still wasn't working right when it was coming out the 5870. I fiddled with it for a bit, and found my problem.

I was running a Radeon 5870 for my main card, but I had put a Nvidia Geforce card in there also with some custom drivers so I could play Batman with the PhysX stuff enabled. Once I yanked out the Nvidia, the audio on the Radeon worked exactly as it should.

Now I'm stuck with another problem. I run two monitors in my office, and now the third in the living room. Unfortunately, none of them use DisplayPort, so for right now I have unplugged my second monitor in the office. I'm debating buying either an active DisplayPort to DVI adapter, or dumping my current 27" monitor, and upgrading to a 30" monitor with a DisplayPort input on it. I sort of hate my 27" monitor, so I think I might just bite the bullet and get a good Dell 30" monitor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.