AVS Forum banner

call me crazy but.. 51" Samsung 3D Plasma for PC gaming?? :D

6K views 35 replies 18 participants last post by  pcweber111 
#1 ·
Samsung PN51D550C1FXZA..

reason being because I play in the dark generally and the glare wouldnt bother me,

however..

For the PC would the HDMI carry over well for gaming on this?

does it have a DVI input?

am I crazy?

please tell me ..

thank you!

(heres a link http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CGgQ8wIwAQ )

#28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redman77 /forum/post/0

I also was wondering about this. Thinking about getting a gaming pc to play on my 50 inch plasma. Is the in game text size an issue? I've read for most games text size isn't adjustable and can be quite small depending how far away you sit. I sit 9 feet from the tv.

It can be with the rare game here and there. The first dragon age was miserable for this and at 1080p the font was really hard to see since most of us do not sit 12 inches from a 50" screen. Most games though scale fonts properly, no different then their console versions except games running in true 1080p look quite a bit better of course.

FYI 50" plasma here as second monitor to a dell ultrasharp, and 110" front pj for 3rd mon. All in different rooms connected via hdmi cables and hdmi switch all from mono price.

#31 ·
Ok guys I just finished building my first gaming PC and holy $&@%. It's pretty high end with and i5 2500k, 8Gb ram, & 2 Radeon 6970s running in crossfireX. I will overclock the CPU at a later time as no need to right now. Graphics blow my 360 & ps3 away! Amazing on my 55inch plasma! Framerate a solid 60 FPS(highest the TV will allow) in most games. Going to get me friends TV as well to try out surround vision. Might as well sell the consoles b/c I don't think I'll be getting on those till the next gen. Lovin Battlefield Bad Company 2 right now getting ready for BF3!!!

Good tips Newfmp3.

#32 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolern /forum/post/20777432

Ok guys I just finished building my first gaming PC and holy $&@%. It's pretty high end with and i5 2500k, 8Gb ram, & 2 Radeon 6970s running in crossfireX. I will overclock the CPU at a later time as no need to right now. Graphics blow my 360 & ps3 away! Amazing on my 55inch plasma! Framerate a solid 60 FPS(highest the TV will allow) in most games. Going to get me friends TV as well to try out surround vision. Might as well sell the consoles b/c I don't think I'll be getting on those till the next gen. Lovin Battlefield Bad Company 2 right now getting ready for BF3!!!

Good tips Newfmp3.

Crossfired 6970s on a 1080p tv? Kinda overkill but hey that's a lot of firepower I won't argue with it being badass.

#33 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 /forum/post/0

Crossfired 6970s on a 1080p tv? Kinda overkill but hey that's a lot of firepower I won't argue with it being badass.

Ya I know. I got a great deal to 2 6970s that I couldn't pass up. Getting ready for Battlefield 3 max settings in 3d. I have a feeling that's going to take a lot of power. Come on October!

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolern /forum/post/20777966

Ya I know. I got a great deal to 2 6970s that I couldn't pass up. Getting ready for Battlefield 3 max settings in 3d. I have a feeling that's going to take a lot of power. Come on October!

You have the right vid combo for 3D 1080p. Not over kill by any means (and it may be even under power if you ever wanted to do muti display 3D). As you might know with 3D, each frame is rendered separately for each eye and in almost all cases will 1/2 the frame rate for any game vid processing. With two 6970s basically you will almost have each card rendering each frame. Have fun with 3D

I personally just can not do 3D gaming due to the hurt it does to my eyes after a long session but then that is just me and I hate wearing the 3D glasses
. Maybe when the holo deck comes I will be happy

#35 ·
Yeah, it is better to have too much GPU power than too little.

You'll come across a game like Metro 2033 that has graphical features that will make your GPUs struggle even at 1080p. Then not too long from purchase, you'll have quite a few games that will make your GPUs struggle in maximum quality at 1080p.

#36 ·
Aside from 3D I just think it's a bit overkill for most games. Of course there are games that will push him system and hey that's what it's all about just saying what I think. Besides with the 7K series coming out this fall I think money could be better spent. It's all opinion of course and I do think it's cool to see that much power.

edit I'm not trying to thread crap, really!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.