AVS Forum banner

call me crazy but.. 51" Samsung 3D Plasma for PC gaming?? :D

6K views 35 replies 18 participants last post by  pcweber111 
#1 ·
Samsung PN51D550C1FXZA..

reason being because I play in the dark generally and the glare wouldnt bother me,

however..

For the PC would the HDMI carry over well for gaming on this?

does it have a DVI input?

am I crazy?

please tell me ..

thank you!

(heres a link http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CGgQ8wIwAQ )

#2 ·
Why would you be crazy? Perhaps you're crazy for limiting yourself to 51". lol

And HDMI shouldn't be any problem for carrying a 3D signal assuming your video card supports it (I'm not real sure how to make it work with my Radeon 6950 for example, though I wish I knew; need to do some research I guess).

The TV has a VGA input, but not DVI by the looks of it.
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/...1FXZA-features

#4 ·
As long as you're playing full-screen games on it, that don't have really significant huds, and as long as you're watching full screen videos, you should be ok. But you don't want to be using your 51 inch plasma for web surfing and stuff like that, because the IR (image retention), can be quite noticeable after awhile.

I have a Samsung PN50C680 which is a 1080p 50 inch plasma that is 3D with hdmi 1.4. I've used my PC with it, and I enjoy the games on it, they look very good running at a true 1080p resolution and locked at 60 frames. I haven't really screwed around with the 3D yet. (I play 3D games via the PS3 sometimes)

I've watched some videos and stuff, but I don't like to have the PC onscreen for very long at all unless I'm going to be using the full screen, and try to limit huds when it's possible to limit huds.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb16 /forum/post/20707165

(I'm not real sure how to make it work with my Radeon 6950 for example, though I wish I knew; need to do some research I guess).

Just plug it in. Seriously. I've got a 50" Panny G10 and all I did was plug the hdmi cable into the card and the tv and it was instantly recognized as a second monitor. My problem was cable length. I bought a 75' cable and plugged it in and tested and it worked. After I spent an hour running the cable it must have got pinched or something somewhere and I couldn't get a signal. I just gave up.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 /forum/post/20708532

Just plug it in. Seriously. I've got a 50" Panny G10 and all I did was plug the hdmi cable into the card and the tv and it was instantly recognized as a second monitor. My problem was cable length. I bought a 75' cable and plugged it in and tested and it worked. After I spent an hour running the cable it must have got pinched or something somewhere and I couldn't get a signal. I just gave up.

I use my TV as a 2nd monitor, that isn't an issue.

But my understanding is you need middleware to play games in 3D with AMD video cards though.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb16 /forum/post/20709022

But my understanding is you need middleware to play games in 3D with AMD video cards though.

This is true. But besides that, you're currently limited to 1080p24 (per eye) or 720p60 so for some games that can seem sort of choppy, so if you're anything like me, the 3D experience will sort of wear off for PC gaming and it's not really worth it. It does look great, but for 3D gaming on the PC I think we'll need to wait for DisplayPort to be more common before the experience will be optimal.

#11 ·
LOL, thanks for the ... INPUT.. guys..

haha get it? .. input.. ... ?

*crickets*

No really, that was enjoyable to read..

I just returned my 32" iSYMPHONY (lol)

and am not on a 17" Acer I feel like I am on a midget..

it is really, really sad.

SO second monitor for 51" gaming it is!

Thanks for the info, again I appreciate it.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb16 /forum/post/20707165

The TV has a VGA input, but not DVI by the looks of it.
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/...1FXZA-features

Follow the e-manual on how to set up PC mode with the tv. Either of the HDMI inputs should work; I don't believe they are isolating one particular input any longer. Once set up you should get a pretty damn good looking image. Samsung tvs make pretty good pc monitors. Sure they're not as high a resolution as a 24 or higher pc monitor but eh the size makes up for it. I'm glad I went with my plasma as a monitor and can't go back, especially since I do heavy HTPC.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_chiggin /forum/post/20717101

....you use this for your computer?

What is the mouse cursor bigger then your head!? LOL

Why the confused face? If you sit a certain distance back the viewing angles aren't that different. Plus if you use your computer primarily for games or as an HTPC it's a perfect choice.

#18 ·
I play on 60" Plasma and 120" Projector screen. Its crazy as hell... specially if its a 3D game..

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyindian /forum/post/0

I play on 60" Plasma and 120" Projector screen. Its crazy as hell... specially if its a 3D game..

Three 55 inch Pannys side by side running in 3d would be 165inches of 3d heaven. I don't know how many of ya'll have tried the surround vision on triple screen, but it really gives u a feeling that the gaming world is around you.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swolern /forum/post/20744288

Three 55 inch Pannys side by side running in 3d would be 165inches of 3d heaven. I don't know how many of ya'll have tried the surround vision on triple screen, but it really gives u a feeling that the gaming world is around you.

That's not quite right. Closer to 156" I think.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb16 /forum/post/20744589

That's not quite right. Closer to 156" I think.

How do you figure?

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 /forum/post/20753546

How do you figure?

Math?

I may be off, but it's not 165" just because 55" x3.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.