AVS Forum banner

So i won a q6600 SLACR on ebay sort of by accident.

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Threefiddie 
#1 ·
Ok let me be more clear. I heard about this cpu last summer and tried to win a few bids but was told not to pay over 130 bucks for this rare cpu. I lost them all. So i gave up. Then today i finally got my desktop back since i moved and hooked it up and remembered i miss playing pc games. Current set up is only a e4300 oc to 2.84 with a 260 gtx 896mb 4gigs of ram. I've asked in another thread about building a new rig but just been to cheap. I have the money but just don't want to pull the trigger. Now back to the q6600. I won the bid for 85 dollars. I bidded on it not thinking i would win and low and behold i won. Now should i go through with the bid and upgrade my video card to say a 560 or 570? Would i at least get medium to high settings in some games? say crysis 2 and the witcher 2?

#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodedSoldier /forum/post/20748756

Ok let me be more clear. I heard about this cpu last summer and tried to win a few bids but was told not to pay over 130 bucks for this rare cpu. I lost them all. So i gave up. Then today i finally got my desktop back since i moved and hooked it up and remembered i miss playing pc games. Current set up is only a e4300 oc to 2.84 with a 260 gtx 896mb 4gigs of ram. I've asked in another thread about building a new rig but just been to cheap. I have the money but just don't want to pull the trigger. Now back to the q6600. I won the bid for 85 dollars. I bidded on it not thinking i would win and low and behold i won. Now should i go through with the bid and upgrade my video card to say a 560 or 570? Would i at least get medium to high settings in some games? say crysis 2 and the witcher 2?

That CPU with a decent OC and a 570 will get you good performance for most all games at 1080p.

#4 ·
I would not pair a GTX570 up with that CPU, as it will be quite a bit overkill.

Drop in the new CPU and see how your GTX260 runs for you. You'll likely find that you were throttling the hell out of your GPU with your relatively old and slow dual-core CPU. The result is likely to be that what is now 20fps 1080p at medium-high with your current CPU will suddenly become 45fps 1080p at medium-high with a Q6600 clocked to 3.0ghz or so, on the same GTX260. Dropping in a GTX560/570 is likely to not move you much from that performance, as you are now just going to be starving the hell out of a new GPU instead of properly feeding an old GPU.

Do you want an upgrade that is worth while? Drop in more ram. I'm guessing you can max out at 8GB with that board and CPU? Max it out.

#6 ·
Thanks tony i did some checking around on some other forums and youtube videos and there are a few people running the q6600 with 560-570's with really good results. Today i came home from work and did some tidying up as i hadn't had my pc for more than half a year and i updated my 260's drivers and got rid of the 3d vision drivers i heard caused issues with the witcher 2 and it's like night and day from yesterday. Last night i was getting 9-12fps on low settings. Today i'm running around 25-30 fps on medium and texture to low with vsync off. My lil c2d still has some life in her. Now i really can't wait for my new cpu to get here. Ebay seller has already shipped it out.

#7 ·
i have same cpu overlocked to 3.2 with gtx 260 and 4gb ram. i cannot play witcher 2 anything more than high and cannot play crysis 2 maxed with the new texture pack etc.

time for an upgrade for me once x79 motherboards come out!

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threefiddie /forum/post/20752612

I wonder how much the 2 initial six-core, twelve-thread chips will cost for the X79 chipset.

The four-core, eight-thread chip seems like a waste given that it will have a locked multiplier. The 2600K with a modest overclock would undoubtedly give better performance in everything.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threefiddie /forum/post/20752612

i have same cpu overlocked to 3.2 with gtx 260 and 4gb ram. i cannot play witcher 2 anything more than high and cannot play crysis 2 maxed with the new texture pack etc.

So what can you play these games at and what fps are you getting?

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodedSoldier /forum/post/20752742

So what can you play these games at and what fps are you getting?

well it depends really.

with WoW I get anywhere from 35-140 fps. just depends on where I am and what I'm doing

crysis 2 since i've toned it down I get about 34-60 just depending on the maps

bfbc2. anywhere from 31-61

dirt 3 actually runs really good 60+

witcher 2 is just the worst performer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.